[0.24] Chatterer v.0.5.9.4

Iannic-ann-od

The short answer is no. I haven't put any work into this project for weeks.

Frankly, I am absolutely burned out on KSP and KSP mod-making at the moment. I got this game when it was 0.15 and spent almost every bit of my free time for the next twelve months playing and learning how to write plugins for this super-addictive game. But it's like eating the same food for dinner for a year.

So if there is anybody who wants to take over Chatterer and do your own thing to it, that would be great! I'd like to see it stay alive in some form, but I can't be the one to do it right now.

The source code is linked in the OP. Please feel free to make it your own or use bits of it to make something similar!

I am sad to hear this. Honestly I think chatter can be improved a lot, but its also great right now.

Anyway since I don't speak C* I think I don't should mess with your code.

*=Not enough to program anything, but still enough to read the code somehow, since many languages have similarities.

Since I am also not going to the Louvre to "improve" the Mona Lisa....

But I am feel attempted to put it on Github. Maybe Chatterer is the thing that pushes me to finally learn C, too.

I am not saying that I am taking it over (not yet at least). But Github can't hurt, maybe I do that the next week or so... or not .. dunno ... I am not reliable.

Edited by Bizz Keryear
brainfarts

Love this mod! But, does anyone know how to turn off power consumption? Kind of annoying when you don't have solar panels unlocked.:confused:

There is an option for this in Settings. Just click on microphone icon and pick relevant tab.

I am sad to hear this. Honestly I think chatter can be improved a lot, but its also great right now.

Anyway since I don't speak C* I think I don't should mess with your code.

*=Not enough to program anything, but still enough to read the code somehow, since many languages have similarities.

Since I am also not going to the Louvre to "improve" the Mona Lisa....

But I am feel attempted to put it on Github. Maybe Chatterer is the thing that pushes me to finally learn C, too.

I am not saying that I am taking it over (not yet at least). But Github can't hurt, maybe I do that the next week or so... or not .. dunno ... I am not reliable.

Do it! Keep Chatterer alive!

There is an option for this in Settings. Just click on microphone icon and pick relevant tab.

I must have overlooked it. Can you be more specific?

Edit:

Note to self: always double check which version is installed...

Edited by razark

Yes, I too will go "adventurous" with this mod today - for I do not like the idea of it consuming electric charge, for sure what ever ventilates the pods and feeds the lighting in their can handle a radio too. ;)

Edit: Problem, the setting for energy consumption is not saved - and I cannot find an entry for it in the cfg files of Chatterer?

Edited by KerbMav

Finally sat down and put a few hours into this beast today. Couple things fixed, couple new things added.

What's done?

* ElectricCharge usage is completely removed

* Added a Mute button to hush all the Chatterer sounds with one click

* Merged Muziker's soundscapes and "ship hum" into Chatterer

* All new beeps

What's planned?

* Edit some more NASA audio to make another chatter set

* Add more triggers for sound effects/soundscapes (descending to surface, entering atmosphere, etc)

* Add some ship noises (clinks, clangs, whirrs)

Any suggestions for other things you want to see in this plugin? Things that need fixed that I've forgotten about?

Finally sat down and put a few hours into this beast today. Couple things fixed, couple new things added.

What's done?

* All new beeps

What's planned?

* Add more triggers for sound effects/soundscapes (descending to surface, entering atmosphere, etc)

Any suggestions for other things you want to see in this plugin? Things that need fixed that I've forgotten about?

Just keep up the great work, i love this mod, sometimes just a simple noise can make the game 10 times more immersive for the players

Sounds great Iannic, was always hoping you would be able to add Muziker and Chatterer together. Definitely looking forward to more sounds and different trigger points. Is the download link updated with that version or are you going to hold off and finish up the other features before releasing it?

Sounds great Iannic, was always hoping you would be able to add Muziker and Chatterer together. Definitely looking forward to more sounds and different trigger points. Is the download link updated with that version or are you going to hold off and finish up the other features before releasing it?

The download links haven't been updated yet. Still a few wrinkles to iron out of the Muziker/Chatterer merge and I want to get the majority of the planned stuff in and working before packing up a new version.

Glad you're merging the two. Chatterer has always run flawlessly for me, whereas Muziker has never made so much as a peep. The only problem I've had with newer Chatterer is that the UI has gotten a little overwhelming compared to the original. Would you be able to shrink it back down, maybe through hiding much of the stuff in an 'Advanced Options"?

Loving it so far, working grand in .22 with no issues that I'm aware of.

Wasn't aware of the program using electrical charge until someone mentioned it here. I can kinda see the viewpoint that 'communications' would use power but perhaps its better removed.

The only problem I've had with newer Chatterer is that the UI has gotten a little overwhelming compared to the original. Would you be able to shrink it back down, maybe through hiding much of the stuff in an 'Advanced Options"?

Indeed. What parts would you hide? I'm thinking the filters and copy/paste buttons certainly can be hidden for basic use. Maybe the Add/Rmv buttons for beeps? Hiding these would pretty much take it back to how it looked at 0.5 (OP image).

Could you add a low soft sound of air escaping and a muffled sound of a hatch opening/closing to trigger when a Kerbal goes on EVA?

What's done?

* All new beeps

What's planned?

Cool, I was wondering what was coming next. I never had too much problems with Chatterer using electrical charge, since there is an option to turn it off. Though when I have to turn it off all the time, it didn't seem to save. I had problems with the new career mode in KSP. The beginning of rocketry is always hard and energy consumption is one of them until batteries are unlocked later on down the line, as with solar panels. I always toggle Chatterer power off in these early stages because power would go fast in the capsule, sometimes had to ditch a orbit really early, just as I got there.

Those ambient sounds from the Muzikers Mod will be cool. I never knew you did other mods besides this one.

What is the loud Kerbal sound I get once in a while, its louder than the others? Is that the Russian one?

It sometimes startles me because its louder than other voices when it comes one.

I think so. I de-amplified a lot of them but I'm sure I missed a few. I'll fix it some time if no kind souls take it upon themselves to do some small audio edits. *nudge nudge* SSTV isn't encoded correctly either, if anyone wants to improve those. *nudge nudge nudge nudge* :)

Cool, I was wondering what was coming next. I never had too much problems with Chatterer using electrical charge, since there is an option to turn it off. Though when I have to turn it off all the time, it didn't seem to save. I had problems with the new career mode in KSP. The beginning of rocketry is always hard and energy consumption is one of them until batteries are unlocked later on down the line, as with solar panels. I always toggle Chatterer power off in these early stages because power would go fast in the capsule, sometimes had to ditch a orbit really early, just as I got there.

Those ambient sounds from the Muzikers Mod will be cool. I never knew you did other mods besides this one.

Career mode is the big reason power usage is gone. With the capsule always using some power, we can consider the comms is powered from that.

I like the soundscapes in Muziker much more than anything in Chatterer, personally. For those who don't like it, I'm trying to make it as easy as just-delete-the-soundscapes-folder and Chatterer will have just the original stuff and no extra audio load time (it's only about 10-15 seconds, so nothing for those who have gigantor parts packs already).

Edited by Iannic-ann-od
video

Hey, I wanted to have this but the reason I havent yet is because I hate the idea of having to have a GUI to control the chatter. Don't you guys think it would be a better idea to have a .cfg file where people can set how much chatter they want and get rid of the gui?

I think so. I de-amplified a lot of them but I'm sure I missed a few. I'll fix it some time if no kind souls take it upon themselves to do some small audio edits. *nudge nudge* SSTV isn't encoded correctly either, if anyone wants to improve those. *nudge nudge nudge nudge* :)

Career mode is the big reason power usage is gone. With the capsule always using some power, we can consider the comms is powered from that.

I like the soundscapes in Muziker much more than anything in Chatterer, personally. For those who don't like it, I'm trying to make it as easy as just-delete-the-soundscapes-folder and Chatterer will have just the original stuff and no extra audio load time (it's only about 10-15 seconds, so nothing for those who have gigantor parts packs already).

I wouldn't mind helping, but I don't know what audio program to use or what to do in it, lol.

When GUI is closed its really not noticeable. I do like the option to open up the GUI during the game, that way I can change something quickly. Not a lot of players know how to edit the cfg file, its user friendly to have a GUI. Editing cfg files can be a hassle sometimes, believe me I mess with enough of them on a daily basis, lol.

I'm looking forward to the update. I've not actually used Chatterer before, but I think that's going to change.

Though, I'm curious, what's the GUI mod that you're running in that video? It shows the orbital information such as the AP/PE, heading, and other info? It looks pretty useful.