Mk 1 Command Pod Replica

jigglypuffdaddy

Hi again, I'm here to reintroduce my second KSP art project that was lost due to the forum reset. I'm working on a replica of the Mk I Command pod. This is the newer one man pod, not the original three man pod. The project is till in progress. My main goal for this build was to stick as closely to the in game model as possible while making things as easy for myself as possible and use existing objects modified to fit the project. So here goes, I'm still reorganized my progress pics so I'll update every few days with the work I've got so far.

I'll start out with the reference photo's I've been working to, keep in mind some of these I've taken from my own game and others I found through google searches:

Here are the exterior shots I'm working too:

nL3ZE5H.png

5TIytYL.png

I'm also using the IVA view to get the interior details:

X0ZXGJB.png

A photo I found on the forums of the pod with the hatch open has been immensely helpful:

StEws40.jpg

And now to my work, the following are the earliest stages of the project:

The core of the project is built of a small lampshade I found at home depot:

19OKZo7.jpg

After cutting out the hatch I sanded and painted both pieces:

bjckT5s.jpg

imjqeP3.jpg

I'll leave off here for now and update in a few with more progress. Sorry if this initial post is overloaded with pictures but I wanted to properly reintroduce the entire project. I've got alot more progress that I'm looking forward to sharing so stay tuned.

P.S. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Update time! This time I've got some shots of the body of the model as it came together. This is where it actually starts to look like something :P

Here are the stripes being painted on:

64o8UcU.jpg

And finished:

w8KJ2Xd.jpg

Details being added to the exterior as well as the hatch:

xJbJGPZ.jpg

The body of the capsule after considerable touch up and with the hatch attached:

lijVRw6.jpg

sfh1NRo.jpg

rwVJM6u.jpg

That's it for now. As you can see it actually is starting to look like the capsule now. The were alot of mistakes made and plenty of touch up required. Overall it looks. . . ok to me. The are tones of scratches and crappy craftsmanship to deal with. That being said it's not a total disaster and I can live with that.

Aright, more progress to share. Now that the base work of the body is done it is time to start adding details and structural elements. So here we go.

The first thing to add to the capsule is a roof. As luck would have it, the lid to a sour cream jar was a perfect fit size and shape wise. I washed the lid first of course:

0OI36Zv.jpg

Some painting, gluing, and touch up:

oHceZuN.jpg

EIkla4h.jpg

For the interior roof a pringles lid worked very well:

0ObzbZf.jpg

With the roof complete it was time to start adding details to the exterior body as well as the hatch:

DKHUzFP.jpg

Q7zUmjz.jpg

OK, so that's probably enough updating for now. At this point I think I've caught up to where this thread was before the forum crash. Check in next time for all new progress as the base and interior details come together. Thanks for viewing.

More progress! This time I'm going to detail the beginning construction of the base which will serve as the interior floor holding the seat and other details. Also included is some more interior work.

To start this is the base at the beginning of its construction, if you look close you can see that its a blank cd case cut short. The details are balsa wood and a plastic checkered mat:

lGfrNXh.jpg

Here is the finished base:

xLsUUvh.jpg

The capsule has what looks like oxygen canisters on its interior wall, these were made of old easter decorations and random bits:

akeF8qN.jpg

Coming together:

ldo2fFo.jpg

And installed into the capsule:

TvYkVzc.jpg

Once these pieces were finished I decided to apply some sealant to protect the paint job, here is the results of the first run of shellac:

yaUPvWW.jpg

Here is a better picture showing the progress so far:

j80BOPA.jpg

In this picture you can see I've corrected some problems that occurred. First, I sprayed the entire project with a satin sealant to get rid fo the sheen left by the shellac, second I've fixed some errors that arose after the shellac was applied, most notably the ink that ran on the exterior was touched up and the detail was better fleshed out.

So that's where things are. Its actually starting to look like what its meant to look like. That's it for now. Thanks for viewing :D

Can you post a picture of the Kerbal you made next to it?

Looks like it's coming together. Maybe put it on a fuel tank with landing legs for display purposes..

Anyway, looking forwards to see how this turns out :)

Updates! With the main body of the capsule finished it's time to focus on the interior details.

First, adding details to the base of the capsule. I noticed these details in the research photos I found. I have no idea what they are :P

xNzB6Vt.jpg

Cutting and installing the parts:

hoU0dSI.jpg

KGcoec5.jpg

The finished details:

jeeo4LS.jpg

Next detail to add is the instrument panel, here are the collected parts awaiting work:

Z8xxcCu.jpg

In progress:

km6tLdU.jpg

15dcJTA.jpg

Finished and waiting for installation:

TNltUjJ.jpg

Installed on the hatch:

MuKnuvM.jpg

All the current progress. All that is left now is to finish the seat for the Kerbal and assemble the entire model:

1WkKHla.jpg

P.S. Since someone asked here is a picture of the capsule and the kerbal models together:

662CPuT.jpg

As you can see the scale is a 'little' off but I like the look anyway. Thanks again for joining. Looking forward to showing off the final product :D

Now you need a miniature version of the kerbal to fit inside and make him rigid bodied so you can him in any shape you wish, say, like freaking out because he is about to crash.

One suggestion, add the tiny white parachute on top, looks best with this capsule :) Overall, mind blown at the epicness of this DIY build.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.