KIDI- Kerbal Interplanetary Defence Initiative

Wow! I'm glad to see that KIDI is back in full force!

Here's a drone I've been working on, based on the idea of a tiny version of my old Xiphos frigate. It's not much, but I don't have much time or patience to build anything larger at the moment.

Crusader-class Attack Drone: http://imgur.com/a/51LJ4

(PS: Can someone tell me how to insert Imgur albums to be viewed on the forums?)

Wow! I'm glad to see that KIDI is back in full force!

Here's a drone I've been working on, based on the idea of a tiny version of my old Xiphos frigate. It's not much, but I don't have much time or patience to build anything larger at the moment.

Crusader-class Attack Drone: http://imgur.com/a/51LJ4

(PS: Can someone tell me how to insert Imgur albums to be viewed on the forums?)

Is there any chance that I could "Borrow" this craft for my summer Kerbals. At. War. series?

I was just tinkering around in KSP with some fighters and decided to have a good time and build an F-14 replica. While it could be a little better in design it is a complete beast. It will turn on a dime and stay in tact up to 1,000 meters per second. There are 3 versions, the base model, the long range model, and the combat model. I will try to post the craft file later.

One of the main things I wanted was the tried and true 2 person cockpit.

uepVrLw.png

6aZm0ou.png

YEfuOBJ.pngvPNwvJO.png

What should I build next? I'm putting K.A.W. on hold until this summer in hopes of having better quality and more submissions, so in the meanwhile I'm thinking about building the enemy forces so that everything is all ready to go when I do record.

Current Options

A) Carrier

B) Cruiser

C) ODST ship (halo based moc)

probably a large cruiser,

not many people use cruisers as main ships... it would be interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Attention!

if you would like one of you're crafts to be on YouTube

post a link to a craft file in reply of this post!

not all entries guaranteed

probably a large cruiser,

not many people use cruisers as main ships... it would be interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Attention!

if you would like one of you're crafts to be on YouTube

post a link to a craft file in reply of this post!

PS; until I get a lot of entries, ALL SHIPS ARE ALLOWED AS LONG AS THEY DONT REQUIRE CHEATS. (my KSP doesn't like cheats)

not all entries guaranteed

Im soon getting some better software to edit my videos so that they are shorter, better quality videos. I will start Episode 1 saturday, but will release them this summer like a TV show. In the mean time, I will soon be posting a trailer to episodes 1-5.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the F-14 Download from KerbalX, if it doesn't work tell me.

http://kerbalx.com/HawksOfHazard/F-14-moc-LD.craft

Weapons testing is complete, and my newest SX-series warship is almost ready to be let loose on the world...

Of course, once I make a dropship to accompany it. :)

What's in the front? If it's empty you could potentially have an SRB missile loaded in there.

What's in the front? If it's empty you could potentially have an SRB missile loaded in there.

It's not normally empty, as it carries up to 4 1.25 meter rounds in a double-barrel, over-and-under type arrangement, with four smaller missile mounts on the outer hull as a means of fighter defense. The ship in the pic has just fired all its weapons, and is burning for Kerbin.

It's not normally empty, as it carries up to 4 1.25 meter rounds in a double-barrel, over-and-under type arrangement, with four smaller missile mounts on the outer hull as a means of fighter defense. The ship in the pic has just fired all its weapons, and is burning for Kerbin.

Similar to my own destroyer.

I should try to make another spaceship.

Hey all,

So, in-between revising for exams, I'm plopping onto KSP intermittently to create new ships now that 1.whatever is out. Currently have three combat vessels on the go.

KSP.png

The E1 class. Achieving something like 4k delta-v by my calculations at the moment. 2x two-man cockpits, with backup room for a further 8 kerbals. Cargo bay with room for one of my usual B-class monoprop tugs (used for rearranging weaponry)

I've yet to stick on armour and external hardpoints, but it doesn't have any in-built weaponry (I'm actually curious as to weaponry designs and how they've changed. Glancing through the thread recently, I've noticed that the baby SRB seems to be popular, and I've also seen at least one design with a wheel sticking out of it. What makes an effective warhead?).

As you can also see, I seem to have a bit of a texture bug going on. It looks like it's affecting all 2.5m & 1.25m round parts - thoughts?

There are also some desings I'd like to revisit, when I have the time, possibly with the use of some of the new supersized fuel tanks:

screenshot67.png

screenshot25.png

screenshot5-1.png

Edited by Orky Kultur

Hey all,

So, in-between revising for exams, I'm plopping onto KSP intermittently to create new ships now that 1.whatever is out. Currently have three combat vessels on the go.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/willwills1/Demise%20Corporation/KSP.png

The E1 class. Achieving something like 4k delta-v by my calculations at the moment. 2x two-man cockpits, with backup room for a further 8 kerbals. Cargo bay with room for one of my usual B-class monoprop tugs (used for rearranging weaponry)

I've yet to stick on armour and external hardpoints, but it doesn't have any in-built weaponry (I'm actually curious as to weaponry designs and how they've changed. Glancing through the thread recently, I've noticed that the baby SRB seems to be popular, and I've also seen at least one design with a wheel sticking out of it. What makes an effective warhead?).

As you can also see, I seem to have a bit of a texture bug going on. It looks like it's affecting all 2.5m & 1.25m round parts - thoughts?

There are also some desings I'd like to revisit, when I have the time, possibly with the use of some of the new supersized fuel tanks:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/willwills1/Demise%20Corporation/screenshot67.png

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/willwills1/Demise%20Corporation/screenshot25.png

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/willwills1/Demise%20Corporation/screenshot5-1.png

those craft do look cool.

especially the last one.

Hey all,

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/willwills1/Demise%20Corporation/KSP.png

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/willwills1/Demise%20Corporation/screenshot67.png

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/willwills1/Demise%20Corporation/screenshot25.png

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/willwills1/Demise%20Corporation/screenshot5-1.png

Protip: Don't construct the core of a ship from fuel tanks. Go with a structural-part spine, with the outer hull attached to the outermost points on the skeleton, and the fuel tanks attached to the skeleton inside the hull.

Also, wing armor only really protects against smaller, weaker missiles, like what some fighters use. Use steel-plate armor for protection on capital ships.

BTW, it's pretty much agiven that most active KSP militarist players (me, Zekes, Spartwo, and others) have at least one ship or 1.25 meter weapon system that can one-shot most, if not all, warships.

So design for strength, but also redundancy. (i.e.: One engine gets shot out, another can move the ship safely.)

- - - Updated - - -

Similar to my own destroyer.

I should try to make another spaceship.

Yeah, I'd like to see what you'd come up with. :)

Protip: Don't construct the core of a ship from fuel tanks. Go with a structural-part spine, with the outer hull attached to the outermost points on the skeleton, and the fuel tanks attached to the skeleton inside the hull.

Why is that? It's very expensive in terms of parts (and, hence, computer power ;.; ). I can see it adding a rigidity bonus, but in terms of performance - I mean, if they shoot out one of your tanks, you've still lost that and everything below it anyway (unless you're giving each tank a separate radial connection and it's own fuel line to the core, which is even more ludicrous in terms of parts). And, if something breaks your connection, then half of the ship is gone either way.

As it is, the E1-class isn't finalized. I'm probably going to switch out the core tanks for Mk3s, which have a better mass ratio and impact tolerance, as well as fitting the profile slightly more nicely. The FLT800 will probably also go in favour of a long MK2 attached radially for durability reasons, and because it cuts me down by two pylons and two struts in part count.

Also, wing armor only really protects against smaller, weaker missiles, like what some fighters use. Use steel-plate armor for protection on capital ships.
The old ships date back from a time when capitol-busters weren't as common - torpedoes tended to consist of a probe core, the smallest tank with a couple of radial engines, and a spike of I-beams (I don't know what they look like nowadays). Wing armour was the norm, and by far the more aesthetically pleasing. Also, if wing armour protects against fighters, and even steel armour won't block big torpedoes, is there even any point having the latter?

The E1 is already an ugly mother, and was going to get plate armour anyway. Using the massive fuel tanks is efficent, and also means that I might well be able to afford a double-steel layer if necessary (though I might save that for a capitol-buster variant; this one's only expected to carry lighter armaments until I figure out what works for crushing big things). For my other two on the way, (the P1 and P2 class) I was going to go for a layered approach, with steel plate overlain by a layer of wing armour. I figured this would be a better use of the additional parts count than a structural core anyway. The P1 might well end up with two layers of steel, as I'm planning on it being an enormous monster anyway and seeing exactly how far I can push 1.w/e on my rubbish little laptop.

Why is that? It's very expensive in terms of parts (and, hence, computer power ;.; ). I can see it adding a rigidity bonus, but in terms of performance - I mean, if they shoot out one of your tanks, you've still lost that and everything below it anyway (unless you're giving each tank a separate radial connection and it's own fuel line to the core, which is even more ludicrous in terms of parts). And, if something breaks your connection, then half of the ship is gone either way.

In general, having skeleton-and-plating-based hulls ups your chances of survival tremendously, especially against standard SRB-based rounds. It also makes your ship redirect more force away from the weak, squishy fuel tanks inside and instead balances it out across the skeleton and hull plating. It also makes a hard hit less likely to total your entire hull.

Example:

1CH6iLt.png

My SX-13 Lancer frigate took a hard hit (pic got lost :/) in the center of mass. Normally, a ship would get totaled. However, on mine, the hull plates directly in the line of fire took all the force, with the rest getting spread out. This meant that my ship lived to fight another day.

The tanks are usually still destroyed in the impact, of it were not spine based a large portion of ship would break off, exposing internal systems further. I was one of the last people to convert to this system bit it does increase the rate of survival massively.

I currently am working on the new Project Theta, which if successful, will be able to efficiently rotate any ship in mere seconds without using any fuel. It is very fragile though and Due to Political and military reasons I will not post a picture of the actual module, only the ship will be seen to decrease chances of replication.

Is there any chance that I could "Borrow" this craft for my summer Kerbals. At. War. series?

Sure: http://www./download/jis047gp9o8kiyb/Crusader-class_Attack_Drone.craft Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been working on another ship. My largest one yet: yOz8pWA.png

Obviously, it's very ugly. I also want to add other weapons on the front so that it's multi-role. Any suggestions?

I feel like torpedoes aren't a good idea because I'd have to turn the entire, massive ship to aim it.

YyAcx0g.png

Rather than waste too much range on a lander on board I opted to just have the refinery, a scanner, and a small ore transfer vehicle which while limiting the infinite range aspect reduces the part count a nice amount.

The tanks are usually still destroyed in the impact, of it were not spine based a large portion of ship would break off, exposing internal systems further. I was one of the last people to convert to this system bit it does increase the rate of survival massively.

Armor is pretty pointless though IMO. You can easily design a 20 ton torpedo that can destroy even the most heavily armored ship in one hit. Weapon technology in KSP is way ahead of armor technology.

Honestly the only reason to use plating is because it looks cool.

The truth is even a ship made entirely out of wing parts that carries a 20 ton torpedo is a huge threat to everything :D

Armor is pretty pointless though IMO. You can easily design a 20 ton torpedo that can destroy even the most heavily armored ship in one hit. Weapon technology in KSP is way ahead of armor technology.

Honestly the only reason to use plating is because it looks cool.

The truth is even a ship made entirely out of wing parts that carries a 20 ton torpedo is a huge threat to everything :D

I've completely given in on trying to properly armour my ships. Yeah its possible but takes hundreds of parts, ruins the dV, and a tube of metal plates with some SRB missiles is so ugly it hurts.

Well, I finished the E1 (pictures to come). You're right about it sucking against damage, though; a simple Flea + baby I-beam managed to punch through two plates of armour and the intervening fuel tank, splitting the whole stack in half. But then, if it can get through two plates, it could have got through a plate and the central spine anyhow. I think in future I'll stick to aesthetic armour (though I might take up the spine philosophy, as it would probably work just as well with my multi-arm designs).

And here's what I used to test that; the first of my updated ships, the F1-1 Finch-class:

KSP_1.png

It might be a little difficult to tell from that picture (more coming, hopefully), but it's a stackable small fighter on the order of 34 parts sans weaponry. As you can see, when unloaded it has enough delta-v to make it from LKO to the Mun (and probably back again, so I've updated it with a couple of parachutes). Unlike the old version, it only has 6 weapon mounting points, but it makes up for the fact that it can now use aforementioned Flea torpedoes for mahusive damage. Tested it against the E1 and the old RT Turtle, which was the first steel-plate craft I could find in a pinch. E1 got one-shot (due to foolishly having symmetry on when I loaded the thing up, it fires two torps at once - but according to the F3 damage report, either of them would have been a one-shot). The Turtle took the fist pair like a champ, but got blown wide open by the next two. As such My recommended loadout for the thing is four Flea torps and two good old-fashioned Sepatron/I-beams to follow up with (mass 18.1t).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.