KIDI- Kerbal Interplanetary Defence Initiative

JOOL 3 -cont-

6006_4151289320553_262699635_n.jpg

Modified the main gun and added a second generator.....

and testing..

933950_4151291440606_489785501_n.jpg

-EDIT-

added the re-loadable guided missile/torpedo rack....

179523_4151292760639_1111279402_n.jpg

....which would be tested later...

Edited by ganjou234

Ok this is the prototype Co-8

Many features havn't been added such as engine protection and RCS but i'm having a break so i'll show how far its got.

The XCo-8 shows its experimental and once its cleared for combat the X is removed and its given a version number designation.

I've gone for a different construction style to my previous ships.

Wkv5Bsj.jpg

I present to you... SXD-2 MkIV!

I1Ov41U.png

It has a repeating cannon that can fire shots in extremely quick succession. These shots have a large mass, allowing for single-shot disablement of most ships. By switching to these shots, you can also guide them using RCS for long-range confrontations.

K3IkpkS.png

With all ammo expended and all fuel refilled, the ship has a nice large delta-v of over 8000.

I'll post the craft file soon. It will come with the launch vehicle attached.

JOOL 3 -cont-

6006_4151289320553_262699635_n.jpg

Modified the main gun and added a second generator.....

and testing..

933950_4151291440606_489785501_n.jpg

-EDIT-

added the re-loadable guided missile/torpedo rack....

....which would be tested later...

you could increase missile count by putting them on a rotating rack like the one i posted earlier

Co-8A: Due to the general poor reception to the Co-6 series, a rediacal design change was deemed nesescary to breathe life into the fading series. The Co-8 series is a line of next generation combat ships with vastly improved dV and lightened armour to improve range. An underslung cargo bay is capable of holding a small rover, some probes or aditional ammunition.

During flight the balance shifts quite a lot but the ASAS can always keep the ship flying straight.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qoeb4yjewbigh8g/hlBdwZFnbX/Co-8B.craft (Now has accessable bridge :P)

Cost: 111,120

Weight: 128Mg

ISP: 800s

Thrust: 600kN

TWR: 0.48

Time: 23:50

Parts: 219

dV: 7412

Weapon Points:16 (Additional 8 in cargo bay)

Engines: 10 LV-N Atomic Rocket Motors

Power Cell: 6 PB-NUKs

Crew: 2

IibS0W4.jpg

jkO2CQM.jpg

EHnk0gS.jpg

Edited by Comrade Jenkens

whats the max missile capacity of these vessels anyway?

The Leviathan has 14 missiles: 12 SRM's & 2 MRM's. But the mix of missiles can be modified.

224209_4151043994420_2069460754_n.jpg

And the experimental JOOL 3 currently has 8 SRM's, 4 on either side.

So I think the amount of missiles is enough, and since they are guided I don't think a rotating base is needed.

Comrade Jenkens: Battle between Co-8A and XC-305 or 701 would be, and I hate this word, EPIC! Maybe... Maybe... :)

You know, I've been thinking of a way to make this work - a kind of turn-based multiplayer. It would be completely honor-based, but here would be the rules and guidelines:

1. Each person takes turns controlling their vessel after they reach orbit. The launches would need to be legit in order to prevent ridiculous ships in orbit. Once both ships are in some kind of orbit, the maneuvers could commence. Ships can also be hyper-edit refueled once in orbit. This is just for convenience; I'm going to assume that if your ship can make orbit, it can be refueled in orbit as well.

2. Each turn would be 30 seconds of IN GAME time. This is to prevent lag from becoming an issue.

3. Time warps would be allowed only if both players agreed to it.

4. The first ship that is unable to move and shoot loses.

Example round in words:

1. I launch my SXD-2 ship. Once in orbit, I refuel it with hyperedit, and I warp forward sightly so our two ships aren't too close together in orbit.

2. My enemy launches their ship. They refuel it.

3. The turn-based part begins. I use my 30 seconds to plan a burn that will take me to the enemy ship.

4. My enemy stays put and waits for me to advance.

5. I begin my burn.

6. My enemy still waits.

7. I finish my burn. My enemy and I agree to allow time-warp.

8. My enemy fires his first missile once I come within 10 km. He controls it for 20 seconds, then it's my turn.

9. I can easily dodge the missile now that he can no longer control it. I move closer to within my cannon range.

10. My enemy fires another missile. After 30 seconds, he gets pretty close, but is unable to finish his maneuvers before it is my turn.

11. I am able to dodge the missile once again, and I continue moving closer. I am within 2 km now. I fire a blind shot.

12. My shot misses by a lot. The enemy shoots a missile and it hits my starboard wing. 1 of my engines are down.

13. I disable my other corresponding engine. We are now within 1 km. I fire a shot and personally guide it. It hits his engines. He can no longer move.

14. He fires another missile and breaks my ship in half. I lose.

Slow paced, Newtonian strategy battle. If it weren't for the massive lag and turn-based parts, I might actually enjoy it :P

Co-8A: Due to the general poor reception to the Co-6 series, a rediacal design change was deemed nesescary to breathe life into the fading series. The Co-8 series is a line of next generation combat ships with vastly improved dV and lightened armour to improve range. An underslung cargo bay is capable of holding a small rover, some probes or aditional ammunition.

During flight the balance shifts quite a lot but the ASAS can always keep the ship flying straight.

Cost: 111,120

Weight: 128Mg

ISP: 800s

Thrust: 600kN

TWR: 0.48

Time: 23:50

Parts: 219

dV: 7412

Weapon Points:16 (Additional 8 in cargo bay)

Engines: 10 LV-N Atomic Rocket Motors

Power Cell: 6 PB-NUKs

Crew: 2

IibS0W4.jpg

jkO2CQM.jpg

EHnk0gS.jpg

Whats the weapons on this?? Epic communications part btw~

Whats the weapons on this?? Epic communications part btw~

I build small missiles and mount them on jr. docking ports. I only use 'dumb' sepertron rockets on smaller ships as they can manauver more easily. Any weapon with a jr. docking port can be mounted.

I havn't built a launcher yet and have used hyperedit to move the ship into orbit. :P

Tada: what would you say is a good dV for interplanetary travel as I have little experiance in that? D:

I love the Co-8A.. and it continues your tradition of high acceleration and fantasic Dv. And I am going to experiment with yours bridge placement. (How do the kerbonauts get in and out?)

Ive not been near my PC the last few days.. The XF-100 have a Dv of about 4800, I forgot the part count but its really low.. Its very stable in atmos, I think with enough speed it may even fly. It will out accelerate all of my ships but the Co-8A may be faster.. Comrade builds fast boats.

Shiny, I like how that ship has evolved, looks lighter overall too.. Your ships though aren't from Kerbin.. they are from the futuristic civilization living on Eve. lol

(How do the kerbonauts get in and out?)

DOH!!! :L I'm also going to modify the bridge placement. I've been testing the ship using the probe core so i hadn't noticed that.

Shiny: How do you make these main guns for the ships or is that a trade secret? :D

Donlokiman: I'm having trouble modifying the XC-306. There doesn't seem to be a central pod piece and when i click on either the central bridge or the ASAS conected to it the spaceplane hanger stops responding. :P

Is the XF-100 available or is it still classified?

Update: Co-8B has a usable bridge :P Though i'd still love to see what donlokiman has done to it :D

Donlokiman: I'm having trouble modifying the XC-306. There doesn't seem to be a central pod piece and when i click on either the central bridge or the ASAS conected to it the spaceplane hanger stops responding. :P

Is the XF-100 available or is it still classified?

The 306 is a bit of an oddball, youll notice there are actually 2 landing cans, the typical bridge and another one infront of it inline with the main fueltanks righ behind the main RCS tank. That is the control point instead of the probes I usually use.

As soon as I gt back home Ill put the XF-100 up.. The XF-100 was done because I needed a break from ironing out flaws in the 700 series.. Bigger is not always better.. lol Its super super slow to maneuver, and aerobraking causes the nose to rise like Hugh Hefner at a sorority party. I may have that fixed on the 701.. but the weight and part savings of the 701B is making it difficult to fix.

Edited by donlokiman

As soon as I gt back home Ill put the XF-100 up.. The XF-100 was done because I needed a break from ironing out flaws in the 700 series.. Bigger is not always better.. lol Its super super slow to maneuver, and aerobraking causes the nose to rise like Hugh Hefner at a sorority party. I may have that fixed on the 701.. but the weight and part savings of the 701B is making it difficult to fix.

Mine is the same way. I just manually transfer fuel to forward tanks after I've dialed down my approach. I'm working on another, more maneuverable variant, with four retrograde burning LV-N's on the bow so that should handle even better.

SSF-1A: A first generation single stage fighter, the SSF is capable of taking off from kerbin and getting into a 100km circular orbit. It has two mounts for weaponry and once lower on fuel performs very well as and atmoshperic heavy fighter.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qoeb4yjewbigh8g/BNSLxyl91C/SSF-1A.craft

Cost: 95315

Weight: 64Mg

TWR: 1.20

dV: 2967 (In Space)

Time: 4.22

6Vf6e7u.jpg

SQFCrDx.jpg

qlQmgMy.jpg

Yeah, that low on fuel thing... ARX-3 by ssTALONps I´ve adopted as Swallow fighter is also handling better when low on fuel. But it is not as big problem, since it can refuel on ground, so for every mission I can take as much fuel as I need and not more.

But for re-arming I have to go into space... But it is 100% reusable fighter with reasonable handling and firepower.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.