How to Jet into Orbit

krill

This is probably something that's been done many times before, but I'm kinda curious and don't know how to use search.

So the other day I was messing around with jet engines. I'm trying to build something extremely compact, with very few parts, that minimally relies upon rockets in order to achieve orbit. At this point, I have a tiny launcher that will get up to ~114km on jet engines alone. It's 28 parts, including the launch scaffolding. It can reach about 1300 m/s before the engines cut out due to lack of oxygen. Still trying to find a way to add rocket fuel, a rocket engine, and get it into orbit.

screenshot145_zps6be28fb0.png

screenshot139_zpsb356e130.png

screenshot157_zpsb7002ee6.png

Any ideas, comments, suggestions, etc. appreciated!

It isn't really possible to enter Kerbin orbit without using a rocket of some type to raise your periapsis out of the atmosphere.

However, if you can reach escape velocity using your turbojet bundle, you can indeed enter solar orbit on jet propulsion only.

It isn't really possible to enter Kerbin orbit without using a rocket of some type to raise your periapsis out of the atmosphere.

What about using the Mun to alter your trajectory? You could make an orbit by using a gravity assist.

Edited by TooManyErrors

The max surface speed at which the turbojet generates any thrust is 2400 m/s. If you somehow had infinite intakes with zero drag so you could get up to this speed purely on jets at the very top of the atmosphere (69078 m), your orbital speed would then be 2594.6 m/s (flying east). Using planet.determineOrbit from https://github.com/numerobis/KSP-scripts, that would give an orbit of 577738 by 69078 m. You're not escaping Kerbin or hitting the Mun's SOI with that. Would be interesting to run the numbers for Laythe though, see if getting back into a Jool orbit only on jets is possible...

More realistically, for best results use 1 jet and a total mass of no more than 10 tons. You can use more jets for heavier rockets, but flameouts will cause you to lose control - unless you use MechJeb 2's anti-flameout feature. Add a bunch of ram air intakes (use cubic octagonal struts to mount them), aim for level flight around 35-40 km altitude. Keep a close eye on the engine, kill the throttle immediately if it flames out, that'll bring it back online and you can feather the throttle back up to just less than what you previously were using. With this technique you should be able to get "orbits" of 100 x 40 km, then you only need a tiny rocket burn at apoapsis to bring Pe > 70 km.

Edited by tavert

Raising your periapsis from 40km to 70km will cost barely 50m/s, as another said, you can do it with RCS. Interestingly, you can also probably do it with ions.

Ion would be an interesting solution, as the engine and xenon canister doesn't weigh much, but provides quite a bit of delta-v. The problem is keeping your periapsis high enough, so that you don't fall back to Kerbin while thrusting.

It's also annoying to have to carry huge solar panels and make sure your apoapsis ends up on the day side. Jet ascents can cover a significant fraction of the circumference of Kerbin before getting into space. The small orange radial engines (Rockomax 24-77) are great for small maneuvers, and they don't weigh much at all.

• 2 years later...

You could perhaps jet into an unstable orbit with a high apoapsis and a periapsis inside the atmosphere but above the despawning line, then abuse physics warp while in space to conveniently nudge your eccentricity until your orbit becomes stable.

But that would be cheating ;P

Whoa. A thread from April 2013 has resurfaced out of the depths.

Also:

But that would be cheating ;P

Ahaha, cheating.

In fact, this thread was made before my join date!

EDIT: However, I could have sworn that my account join date was somewhere in April 2013, not August.

Edited by RyanRising

Right. Thread will remain open, as initial so-called "necro" was a valid remark.

PSA : for prompt and efficient necro-attention, please click the "Report" button on the offending post. A moderator will be on the scene shortly. And whatever you do, don't call it out in-thread, as this does absolutely nothing.

You can't Jet into a permanent orbit. However, if you were to have enough thrust, you could get to a solar orbit. I have done it on accident with a modded craft using Intstell radial scramjets and OPT turboramjet.

Not totally true, as one of the previous posters mentioned, an atmospheric ejection into a lunar gravity assist would put you in a stable kerbin orbit

Not totally true, as one of the previous posters mentioned, an atmospheric ejection into a lunar gravity assist would put you in a stable kerbin orbit

Even if this was possible I wouldn't call it stable as you'd hit Mun's SOI again after some orbits and either get flung back at Kerbin or to some other orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.