Help with Docking: A Trainer Ship for Newbies

Vanamonde

The Mk96 Docking Trainer will allow you to practice the final stage of docking without needing to make 2 separate launches and fly a rendezvous first.

vWfXLih.png

The launch vehicle can deliver the orbiters to an orbital altitude of around 120,000m.

oam06sH.png

Either add crew to the upper orbiter in the VAB before launch, or transfer a pilot to the upper orbiter at this point.

auHcjMw.png

Once both orbiters are crewed, you can undock them and practice manuevering and bringing the ships together.

YJG8uCC.png

The orbiters are larger than they need to be simply to maneuver in orbit, but the bulk of the fuel tanks is there to make the ships handle in a manageable way. Even so, it will be a good idea to switch to fine control with the caps lock key before bringing the ships together for a docking.

Although not necessary, it can be useful to right-click on the other orbiter's docking port and set it as target.

arU8Bqw.png

The orbiters are provided with lights so that docking in Kerbin's shadow is not a problem.

wqabQzC.png

The two orbiters are independent ships, and may be de-orbited separately or together.

pxidxEW.png

Craft file: OBSOLETE

Edited by Vanamonde

Thank you - with your trainer ship, and the instructions about selecting the clamp as target, and using control from here with my ships dock I was finally able to get a successful dock. The first one ran out of fuel before I was able to get docked ;) Have to look into adding more mono fuel for us newbies.

But thank you!!

hQzQwUG.png

I now have to practice moving crew via eva vs the crew manifest mod ;)

The first one ran out of fuel before I was able to get docked
I didn't want to crowd my post with too much in the way of instructions, but just so you know, you only really need RCS for translating, and ships of fairly large size can rotate themselves without using RCS fuel, just on the magic torque of the command parts. Anyway, I'm glad my ship helped you. :D (Though at some point we will have to have a stern talk about sticking a mod part on my pristine, stock ship design. :mad: ) Edited by Vanamonde

Now that's a pretty neat idea. If you're open to suggestions, I have a couple.

A couple of the stationary solar panels on the practice ships ought to help with the electrical drain without adding much weight or complexity.

Personally, I find EVA a PITA. I'm not sure if ladders could be placed to be able to climb between the ships, but what would definitely fix that to avoid EVA is probe cores on the practice ships.

A couple of the stationary solar panels on the practice ships ought to help with the electrical drain

They've actually got a considerable capacity, but I didn't want new players to be left wondering why the ships became inactive if they derped around too long. Anyway, I'm not a big fan of solar panels because you wouldn't be running the lights unless it was dark anyway, and the panels can't charge in the dark. :P And besides, as I noted, the orbiters will recharge while they're docked.

Personally, I find EVA a PITA. I'm not sure if ladders could be placed to be able to climb between the ships, but what would definitely fix that to avoid EVA is probe cores on the practice ships.

I made the ship before we had probe cores, but actually, I don't want to make the segments any smaller than they already are because the purpose of this ship is not efficiency, but ease of handling for a new pilot. Both segments are much larger than necessary for this task for that reason. The mothership is the size it is so that its easy to see and hit, and the orbiters have those big fuel tanks to give them some bulk and inertia, so they move smoothly rather than flit around like mosquitos. :D Ladders might not be a bad idea, but considering the shape of the ship, laying a continuous chain of pieces would add considerably to the part count. Besides, EVA is good for you. It puts hair on your chest.

Thank you for the suggestions, though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...