Kerbal Veterans Section :)

Supergamervictor

Exactly one year ago today, I bought Kerbal Space Program 0.15. Sure, I'm not a true veteran because I didn't buy the game until 0.15, but I had the demo when 0.14 was around, so does that count?

First played 0.7.3,then continued playing until 0.13,then I thought that the game was disscontinued. When I was randomly browsing YouTube videos I saw a video about KSP 0.15,and bought KSP. Joined forums after 0.16 was released.

I think .8 was my first one, bought the game as soon as we had the option. I remember getting to the Mun (when we got that, in whatever patch) without a map. Someone posted the correct orbital speeds on the forum, I aimed for the Mun when it came up over the horizon, and somehow got there! Had to land on fins, mounted on several sets of decouplers, because there were no landing legs... Fun times :).

Edit: Zekes has a great pic of the "fins as landing legs" method. I used an engine, though, so I had to use three sets of decouplers to make the fins reach the ground :).

Edited by Rickenbacker

I'm not sure I like these threads, it makes non-vets feel bad for buying the game later on; according to my KSP account I joined just 2 weeks before .16, though I'm sure I was following a youtuber on the game for quite some time before that...

And it's not that the game wasn't attractive pre 0.14, it's just that not many people knew the game existed.

Anyway I was here before the Mrk 1 pod memorial, docking, planets, rovers, steam, EVA, launch clamps, and larger rocket parts (orange 'space-shuttle' tanks I believe and similar parts).

Does this make me any better of a person? Probably not, Yes there are people who have watched the game grow from earlier versions but what's the big deal?

Sharing stories; yeah that is something I can do on a thread, but limiting your available posters by putting an age gap of game versions on? That's just mean... I'm probably just getting worked up over nothing, I just don't see the point really.

Back in 0.8.4, There was only a few parts. You could place multiple pods on a ship as nosecones but when they hit the ground your crew died. Once I tried pointing my rocket sideways at 22k and went over the sunlit part of Kerbin (back in my day Kerbin didn't rotate) but I ended up exploding when I parachuted down.

I was hear reading all this stuff thinking I was not old enough, then I realized I started playing before Minmus existed. I'll be honest, and say it didn't hold my attention much until 0.18, when docking ports were introduced. Then I kind of got addicted.

I was hear reading all this stuff thinking I was not old enough, then I realized I started playing before Minmus existed. I'll be honest, and say it didn't hold my attention much until 0.18, when docking ports were introduced. Then I kind of got addicted.

Sooo many hours of my life were spent tinkering with docking ports.... I used to use ORDA before 18.0 and actually manually tried "docks" with stock ships with no computer help at all... it was FRUSTRATINGLY HARD!!! That was way back in 14.3 through 16.0, in 17.0 i got ORDA.

Sooo many hours of my life were spent tinkering with docking ports.... I used to use ORDA before 18.0 and actually manually tried "docks" with stock ships with no computer help at all... it was FRUSTRATINGLY HARD!!! That was way back in 14.3 through 16.0, in 17.0 i got ORDA.

These days almost every single launch I do has 2 docking ports - Clamp-o-tron and Clamp-o-tron Sr. This way EVERYTHING is capable of docking with everything else. My Mun base was built with 10 modules, and has a total of 13 Sr ports and 30 Regular ports and sadly it lags now.

I'm the type of person who doesn't really like using mods, which was kind of limiting back in the 0.13. Ironically in 0.19 I built a small lander which used structural plates for landing rather than landing legs, just because they were more compact and folding the landing legs up would get in the way of the docking port. It had just enough delta v to land a single Kerbal on the Mun and get back to orbit to dock with an orbiting vessel.

I'm the type of person who doesn't really like using mods, which was kind of limiting back in the 0.13.

i am the same, I used to be so into mods I used them for everything, but now i'm happy with stock.

I'm not sure I like these threads, it makes non-vets feel bad for buying the game later on; according to my KSP account I joined just 2 weeks before .16, though I'm sure I was following a youtuber on the game for quite some time before that...

And it's not that the game wasn't attractive pre 0.14, it's just that not many people knew the game existed.

Anyway I was here before the Mrk 1 pod memorial, docking, planets, rovers, steam, EVA, launch clamps, and larger rocket parts (orange 'space-shuttle' tanks I believe and similar parts).

Does this make me any better of a person? Probably not, Yes there are people who have watched the game grow from earlier versions but what's the big deal?

Sharing stories; yeah that is something I can do on a thread, but limiting your available posters by putting an age gap of game versions on? That's just mean... I'm probably just getting worked up over nothing, I just don't see the point really.

Because only people from old versions know how its like those days and just sharing them.Its not about being someone special,its talking about the old times before the newer versions because if you have someone new they wont know anything about the old days

...seriously?

So your primary complaint is that you perceive the thread to be some kind of discrimination? "Limiting available posters"... On a single thread...

*sigh*

No, sorry. It does *not* take a village, and nobody gets a certificate of participation to make them feel good about themselves. This was just a single thread (out of HUNDREDS) calling us early adopters out to share our takes on the game and what it's become since we each first discovered it.

No, following somebody's Youtube channel doesn't count by itself, but you know what? You still knew about it before a lot of other people, so how about them apples? You're still part of the crowd of "limited posters" who has something relevant to be contributed.

So how about doing that instead of sending up a useless post about how this thread could make somebody feel excluded and hurt from the fun? -_-

Started in 13.X so I have fond memories of landing on my wings/winglets on the mun. Awesome times indeed. Of course the first 5-6 version just kept on falling over before I understood what the lateral movement thingie was about.

0.10 dude here, posted in this thread already before the kraken decided to eat up all the posts.

Here's the very very first KSP video I've posted:

Currently, I now have 156 videos in my channel, composed of shenanigans, cool stuff, and the [NS] Videoseries.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.