Kerbal Veterans Section :)

Supergamervictor

Ya I know what? I'm sick if you kids who think yer so tough! I rememb'a when gett'in yoself into orbiz was such an achievementz. I rememb'a los'in Jeb to da Dark Sidez of Kerb'n! I rememb'a that Deep Space Squidee! I rememb'a when tere was no mun!

We haz no fancy nodes or anythin, we haz it rough!

So git yer interplanetary mechjes stuff offa ma lawn before I deorb' the thin' to da dark side!

*waves booster*

Dang son... You go much further in the past and you're going to start in with the 1337-sp34k.

>_<

I can at least say I'm a "Fan vet", I didn't get to playing the game until Steam release, but a few people who I watch played it back in its early days, and I watched with rapt attention and interest. I just was broke for a long while x-x nobody likes hiring me.

Around .13 ish was when i first played it, but I left and didn't buy the full game until later, right before .19 was released.

I remember not know there was an orbital map and trying to fly to the Mun without it... I ended up in an orbit around The Sun, although I had no idea what was going on.

I got the game in 0.8.5.

I remember all I did was try and get as high as possible. It was 3 versions before the map, so getting to orbit was hard and I only tried a few times.

I think I joined the forums in September 2011.

Ahhh the good old days. Is it just me or did the RCS thrusters look better back then? I didn't start playing until .10.something or .11 as I was on a mac. I remember getting into orbit involved going straight up until 500-600m/s then wrestling with the ship to get it going straight sideways until you missed the ground. And when the mun came out? Oh man, I must have smashed a hundred rockets into it trying to land on those stupid fins that would always twist and break my engine. Remember before maneuver nodes and you had to wait until the mun came up over (or slip past, depending on your orbit) the horizon before burning so you could get your transfer orbit? Those new guys have no idea how easy they have it, demanding autopilots and complaining that their 5 billion part ship with their landing legs needs more gadgets! In my day we didn't have landing legs! Or working symmetry half the time! I remember having to carefully place each fin as low as it would go, and trying to get them as even as possible because symmetry was borked... I must have spent half an hour building the 'perfect' lander, only to lose my engine because I landed 1 or 2m/s faster than I should have or the fins just weren't low enough! And planets! Why, in my day, we dreamed of having planets! We were lucky we had a moon! And when we flew, we flew uphill! Both ways!

Ahhh, the good old days: when Manley Mode was the Only Mode.

I come from 0.18.4, and I still understand how you feel.

Yay! I actually started when 13.3 was the original and went from there. That's why I believe all newbies should play though, starting with 13.0 and work up to the newest version.

I started playing February last year and joined forums May last year (So im at my 1 year anniversary of joining the forum) I would have 1500+ posts but the reset ate some 800 of them.

Edited by zekes

I don't remember what version I joined in on, but I think it was the one right after struts were implemented. The only parts I had at my disposal were a tiny liquid fuel tank, its corresponding engine, and the small SRBs that we still have today. Oh sure, there was an SAS and radial decouplers but in order for the SAS to amount to anything worth a damn you'd need to stack three or four of them on top of one another, and the radial decouplers would snap under the force of anything significant.

There was no Mun, and no map menu - to get into orbit you had to look up the orbital velocity values on the Wiki, and the planet didn't even rotate so you had no boost from Kerbin's rotation. Still, those were some good times! The first thing I did was download a bunch of mod parts and build a massive rocket that could reliably go into orbit and drop off a small satellite. I had so much fun doing that same mission over and over again, trying to best myself every single time.

I was proud of my achievements, but I was always preparing for the next mod. I had my Mun ship built before the Mun even came out! Like I said, those were good times!

It was August 2011 when I first discovered kerbal space program. I was browsing an indie forum and happened upon a post describing a rocket building simulation game that I could play for free. I quickly googled KSP and my first hit was "Kentucky State police" realising that probably wasnt what i wanted i typed in the full name found what i wanted and downloaded the game which was less then 300mb at the time. The game seemed interesting there were few parts and even fewer instructions. That is the world of 0.7the Features were limited.

There was no moon nor other planets. The sun was only a point of light that no matter how fast or long you travelled would never ever come any closer. Time warp? Forget it. Moving parts? Forget it. Lights, runways, wheels, Iva, Eva? Forget all of them. There was no maps no orbital information other then vertical speed and horizontal speed.

The atmosphere was as thick as soup and you couldn't find out if you were orbiting until you waited the 20 so minutes it took to complete a full low orbit rotation? And if you only managed half an orbit your 3 kerbals were doomed for if they touched the dark side of the non revolving kerbin they would surely spontaneously combust

What parts did we have? That's easy. A cockpit, winglets, standard fuel part,a few structural parts,the sas, a single kind of engine, radial a decoupler, a horizontal decoupler and of course the infamous solid rocket booster

The competition back in the day was just to reach space. I spent hours designing and creating ships after ship with the standard modules available.we had to be carefull tho.. With the lack of struts any launch could be deadly........ Ships suffered from jelly fish wobbles where the different parts would sway and wobble as they had been unrestrained. It was an interesting time and the game has come a long way since then. I have a screen shot somewhere of one of my largest ships which used something like 60 SRB's for its first stage

When I started playing, I had to hit F5 (quick save) each time before I changed from VAB to launch platform or to space center. Now I can change screens with no issues.

Wait.......that was for 0.19...............nvm

(/me looks at the plastic bag full of brand new F5 buttons he ordered from Microsoft and wonders what to do with them)

You know, I really liked the terrain of the old game. The new terrain kinda slows the game up (and brings my frame rate down) and Isn't as cool as the old stuff. But that's my opinion.

You know, I really liked the terrain of the old game. The new terrain kinda slows the game up (and brings my frame rate down) and Isn't as cool as the old stuff. But that's my opinion.

Defo agree with you,I lag like **** these days that i thought of quitting making KSP vids these days

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.