Kerbal Veterans Section :)

Supergamervictor

Welcome Flix! the greatest old time player

Thanks! But I don't consider myself the greatest though, since I've seen some people do much awesome things than I've done during my stay here in the forums. Lets just say I'm that person who have engineered

before :D

Dang.... I played .13 and was around shortly after .17 was released.... but I am a darn good pilot/builder compared to other veterans, certain Youtube stars who may have been named in KSP's credits..... Trust me, I'm good. I'm "young" but I know my way around the Kerbol System. I've built interplanetary ships weighing under 7 tons that have had more than 8,000 m/s dV.

0.15 for me. Bring in the sad trombone music.

... Does it count if I discovered the game and played the demo before 0.15? No, probably not. :(

The way I see it, it's kind of like being a biker. Nobody will really consider you as one of them until you've got a "two wheels up" story to tell. It's like they say: "There are two kinds of bikers: those who have been down, and those who are about to be."

Heck, troops who deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan and were never sent outside the motor pool for six months are considered veterans.

So, even if you joined in on 0.19, I'd still say you're a veteran. :D

Hey there, I guess I'm late on this thread (I've even missed the original, i think).

I've discovered KSP in version 0.8.5. No mun, no map, no time warp, no persistence, no ASAS, no RCS, no atmospheric indicator, no struts, no nothing. Just one LFE (don't remember if the T45 was there, there was no gimballing), one LFT, one SFB, one command pod, two decouplers (radial and stack), some winglets... not sure if there was anything else... oh, one parachute, of course.

Oh, and Kerbin's atmosphere was only 30km high, and ended abruptly: at 29km you were inside a very dense atmosphere, and at something between 29.5 and 30 km, you were at complete vacuum. It was kind of bizarre...

I used an android app (KSP Orbit, it's still in the Google Play store) to calculate the orbital velocity necessary to keep a stable orbit, and also to calculate the DeltaV for orbital transfers (example: from 40km to 60 km). Without time warp, I had to use a timer to avoid missing Periapsis and Apoapsis. One simple mission would take easily 2-3 hours, just to achieve orbit and then to make one or two orbital transfers. And then calculate the DeltaV to reduce Periapsis to under 30 km so I could land safely.

When the Orbital Map showed up, it was a real game changer. And then: the Mun! It was so awesome to just see it in the sky when it was implemented... I felt so happy when I finally managed to put a kerbal there in one piece (well, the ship fell apart, there was no such thing as "landing legs").

Those were the days... :-)

[]s mrfg

Hey there, I guess I'm late on this thread (I've even missed the original, i think).

I've discovered KSP in version 0.8.5. No mun, no map, no time warp, no persistence, no ASAS, no RCS, no atmospheric indicator, no struts, no nothing. Just one LFE (don't remember if the T45 was there, there was no gimballing), one LFT, one SFB, one command pod, two decouplers (radial and stack), some winglets... not sure if there was anything else... oh, one parachute, of course.

...and nothing to do except launch your rocket pointing upwards going straight to escape velocity and watch how fast and how far it went :D

I started with 0.13 and went upwards ever since. I guess anybody can post their experiences here because every version has it's own difficulties, challenges and achievements. Besides, everytime there's a new version there's a new learning curve for me as well.

I do remember the first time i achieved a (catastrophic) landing on the Mun. Poor Kerbals! Many have passed on to greener pastures ever since!

Edited by TheCardinal

I got hooked around 0.8.mumble. As essential as time warp is to doing much of anything, flying whole missions in 1x brings a sense of verisimilitude that's hard to match otherwise. Having to manually calculate the necessary delta-v for your transfer burn, do something else for 15 minutes, then come back and fire a circularization burn -- and having to wait another half hour if you screw it up -- motivates one to put a bit of thought into the process.

I also remember being excited as hell when RCS showed up. Not because it made huge rockets controllable, but because we finally had a passable orbital maneuvering system. First thing I did, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, was get into orbit with a small RCS-equipped pod and play tag with the spent upper stage. I didn't even realize at the time that I was basically imitating Gemini 4. Never did have the same problems as McDivitt, though; that only happens if you're patient and cautious about your maneuvering. That sort of thing was, uhm, not an issue.

And that first time watching Kerbin rise over the gray, desolate limb of the Mun, after days of crashing Munar Lander Training Vehicles all around KSC in anticipation of 0.12's release and a couple flubbed transfer orbits... Well, I couldn't help but hear Frank Borman reading Genesis in my head. Can't recall any other game that could produce moments like that.

But the important thing was that I had an onion tied to my space suit, which was the style at the time...

I got hooked around 0.8.mumble. As essential as time warp is to doing much of anything, flying whole missions in 1x brings a sense of verisimilitude that's hard to match otherwise. Having to manually calculate the necessary delta-v for your transfer burn, do something else for 15 minutes, then come back and fire a circularization burn -- and having to wait another half hour if you screw it up -- motivates one to put a bit of thought into the process.

I also remember being excited as hell when RCS showed up. Not because it made huge rockets controllable, but because we finally had a passable orbital maneuvering system. First thing I did, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, was get into orbit with a small RCS-equipped pod and play tag with the spent upper stage. I didn't even realize at the time that I was basically imitating Gemini 4. Never did have the same problems as McDivitt, though; that only happens if you're patient and cautious about your maneuvering. That sort of thing was, uhm, not an issue.

And that first time watching Kerbin rise over the gray, desolate limb of the Mun, after days of crashing Munar Lander Training Vehicles all around KSC in anticipation of 0.12's release and a couple flubbed transfer orbits... Well, I couldn't help but hear Frank Borman reading Genesis in my head. Can't recall any other game that could produce moments like that.

But the important thing was that I had an onion tied to my space suit, which was the style at the time...

Wow...that's beautiful.

...and nothing to do except launch your rocket pointing upwards going straight to escape velocity and watch how fast and how far it went :D

Well, that's true - but when you had no time compression, and no navigational tools, simply getting into an orbit (ANY orbit) was quite a challenge in itself!

In fact, I can remember being incredibly frustrated with a challenge to put a satellite into an exactly 100km orbit (which I ALMOST managed; someone beat me to it by 10 minutes, and boy was I ticked!). Of course, that's a trivial thing now; we have unmanned pods, so you don't need to risk Jeb, Bill and Bob just to get a satellite into orbit; you have the patched conics system and the orbital map, so you can predict where your orbits will go; you have RCS, which means you have really precise control over attitude and speed. Back then, we had the good old mk 1 eyeball and the main engines!!!!!

Well, that's true - but when you had no time compression, and no navigational tools, simply getting into an orbit (ANY orbit) was quite a challenge in itself!

And because you don't have timewarp, you don't have any idea whether you attained orbit or not - you need to leave the game for a while, which takes tons of patience, since sometimes you thought you already orbited the planet, only to see that you've just re-entered "Kearth's" atmosphere. :D

It's a sin...

Im so old that I cannot remember what version of KSP that I played the first time.

That version was a bit limited and forgot about KSP for a long time.

But in 2012 I finaly found KSP again and bought it..

I dare to call my self a KSP Veteran. ;-)

In retrospect, following early development of the game was quite similar to the real apollo program... but done in a "Kerbal" way of jumping on every new shiny parts the engineers produced and pushing the things to a limit.

Today with all that F9, Docking, LV-N, timewarp, landing legs and other nonsense :P it feels different landing on the Mun. Glad i could be part of it, even if i joined forums a little late.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.