Kerbal Veterans Section :)

Supergamervictor

The stock parts selection before the 2m parts and other stuff was introduced were too limited, that I'll even avoid using them in favor of external parts packs (specifically KW Rocketry and NovaPunch) for greater power, versatility, more parts to choose from, and design realism. Things are way better now, with many selections already available without adding more parts. :D

I started in 0.7.3 , Then i left it, and came back in 0.11. I miss the old times, Renember when the dark side was mortal?, or when going to the mun was a giant step, or even into orbit was a giant step!

• 1 month later...

I played KSP 0.13.3 for a long time, and I only started the full game right after 0.16 came out. Don't think that counts, but in my day, there was certainly no fancy shcmancy "Steam" program to run the game from. There weren't even planets. Not that I could even land on the Mun at that point...

When I started, there was no persistence, so my plan for getting to the mun was to burn straight up with a huge ship to the perfect apoasis, where upon return from that point the mun would intersect my path, and I would then burn again to land.

I remember when it was a hard choice to buy the full version (then 14.0), It's only major advantage over the demo being persist files. It sold me.

This precisely.

Edited by Xaiier

Ah, memories... I joined up with KSP at just the right time: less than two weeks after I got into it, the Mun was added with 0.11 and convinced me to buy the game. I still remember when Scott Manley uploaded his first Mun landing video, where he botched it terribly because he's never been good at gauging speed and distance by eye (and he tried to do a nearly vertical landing from far too many kilometers up; big mistake!). Good times.

I remember my first orbit, achieved back in 0.8 or 0.9. There was no orbital map, so the only way to attain orbit was to calculate the necessary velocity yourself or use someone else's reference sheet.

There was no time-warp either, so when I thought I did it, I watched my rocket for about 30 minutes until I recognized a part of Kerbin I had seen before.

I take my time with this game. I dlstill haven't ladned on Minmus. I started playing around .13. I remember updating and being mesmerized by Minmus. I remember looking in awe at the people that landed on the Mun with winglets. I just perfect every aspect before I go on. I have my ascent path almost mastered, I have docking perfect, and I can land on the mun within 4Km of my target almost every time with absolutely no mods(not that I'm anti-mod it's just I haven't installed them) I just haven't landed on Minmus yet... and I'm also more intent on getting a refueling station up aroun Kerbin and both the moons first.

I'm a sort of veteran. I downloaded the demo (?) a heck of a long time ago (maybe .12 or earlier) then became confused (couldn't make it full screen) and just gave up. I re-downloaded it after re-discovering KSP in March of 2012, and stuck with it (humorously enough, this was on March 3rd, which I just learned was the day .14 was released)

My first paid-for version was .18. Yep, it took me a year to get around buying the thing.

One thing I miss about KSP is, oddly enough, the almost black void of space. I just like how it looks.

Edited by MattJL

I played KSP 0.13.3 for a long time, and I only started the full game right after 0.16 came out. Don't think that counts, but in my day, there was certainly no fancy shcmancy "Steam" program to run the game from. There weren't even planets. Not that I could even land on the Mun at that point...

I was unable to get into orbit, let alone the mun!!!

Anyone remember in .13(ish) when you wanted mods, there was only about 5 to choose from?

Edited by austin4050

I had KSP since version -50.21.... So I'm teh über veterans!!!! But really I've only played since it came to steam, but I have put 250 hours into it in 1 1/2 months.

And back in -50.21 days, all we had was half an engine. And no Kerbin. And we walked 10 miles uphill in the snow bare foot to launch our half a rocket, and we were damn proud when all it did was flop to the side because it was made of noodles and old twizzlers.

Edited by Travisfv
Yes

I got to Minmus in 0.18. 2 versions, it took me. 2 versions.

In around 0.17 or 0.16 I was excited because I escaped Kerbin's SOI.

In 0.16 I was happy that I got Jeb into orbit. His ship ran out of fuel. He's stuck there to date. Yep, I still have that save and version.

In 0.17 or 0.18, I tested if parachutes worked on the Mun. Well, I got myself there with 3 kerbals, and I hit the ground with around 8m/s of lateral velocity. Kapow. Capsule goes up. Deploy chute, nothing happens. This theory is BUSTED.

(dun-dundun-duh-du! dun-duduh, duuuuuuuh!)

That's a Mythbusters reference, if you didn't know. For those who don't watch that show, WATCH IT, lol, rofl, soisoisoi, anyways, that's the ending that plays at the end of the show.

Before that, though, I hit the Mun with around 5 m/s of vertical speed, but around 365 m/s of lateral speed. I switched the NavBall mode too fast. 1 kerbal, down. First Mun crash, but the Kerbs called it a "landing." Smart beings.

I don't think that a vet is a specific time, different people have different opinions so i will post here, even though i am from .18.4.

I remember when the old launch tower was here, good times, good times (except for when oversized mod parts clipped it)

Here was my first mun landing (landed on teh nuke engine like a boss)

zCk5Edz.png

Awesome and epic, and also another instance of art imitating life. :)

-snip-

Ha, I've just saw that video now. Never knew I was imitating something else more, since I got the idea from LOIC :D How I wish there's something like that in-game (though it will never gonna happen I know).

Another one. Made me search the first screenshot sharing thread since I've already lost my photobucket account :confused:

KSP2012-01-0712-59-16-91.jpg

I got introduced to the game about .12 I guess... There wasn't a Mun yet. The Sun was just a point source of light that you could fly right through. Back then everyone was just building stuff and watching it explode. People were trying to build the most ridiculous things out of the little parts we had.

Then they added the Mun but no map view yet. I managed to get into Mun orbit just from dead reckoning. It didn't yet really understand the nav ball. I just pointed my self where I thought the Mun would be and went. I didn't bother with getting into an orbit around Kerbin first. Then when I started getting close I turned around and thrust back toward Kerbin in an attempt to slow down enough to get into orbit. It worked!

My interest sorta petered out... and around that point they started charging. So I just left for a while to let them make things so that when I came back... and had money... I'd have something to do. Bought the game at .18.

I got introduced to the game about .12 I guess... There wasn't a Mun yet. The Sun was just a point source of light that you could fly right through. Back then everyone was just building stuff and watching it explode. People were trying to build the most ridiculous things out of the little parts we had.

Then they added the Mun but no map view yet. I managed to get into Mun orbit just from dead reckoning. It didn't yet really understand the nav ball. I just pointed my self where I thought the Mun would be and went. I didn't bother with getting into an orbit around Kerbin first. Then when I started getting close I turned around and thrust back toward Kerbin in an attempt to slow down enough to get into orbit. It worked!

My interest sorta petered out... and around that point they started charging. So I just left for a while to let them make things so that when I came back... and had money... I'd have something to do. Bought the game at .18.

Mun was introduced at 0.12 :D

And same here, but the difference was I left the forums and stopped playing KSP just few days after 0.14 was released (supposed to be permanently), due to focusing on some stuff. I went back again playing and here in forums also at 0.18, 9 months after the supposed to be permanent exit.

I first played Kerbal Space Program on February 25th, 2012 (when the demo was at 0.13.2 before 0.13.3 got released). First paid version was 0.15 (which was on June 17th, 2012, coincidentally my birthday). I definitely remember flying straight up to see how high I went before learning how to properly circularize my orbits. I also remember trying to build excessively huge rockets (though consisting of the small parts in the earlier days). Before I attempted any proper Mun landing, I was aiming to build a rocket that could reach it (though I still didn't learn orbital mechanics yet). While I was able to reach the Mun eventually (though without learning orbital mechanics), I had no way of landing and crashed.

That led me to learn how to build a rocket with landing capabilities by watching trydyingtolive's YouTube video that was found in the KSP Wiki (though one of the differences was I implemented four winglets instead of three). After various attempts at learning how to land, I was finally able to land on Kerbin and prepared for the Mun. Following what was discussed in that video, one of my first attempts made it to the Mun. However, the first attempted landing was very rocky (which left the Kerbals stranded). Here are the two screenshots I took of that failed landing:

FirstFailedMunLanding1_zpsf8d3e220.png

FirstFailedMunLanding2_zps6973dc9f.png

My second attempt, however, ended in success. After various successful (as well as some failed ones) Mun landings, I eventually tackled on another task. Learning orbital mechanics! One of my early attempts at circularized orbits resulted in decay (due to the fact the periapsis was low enough to cause such decays. This eventually led to establishing proper orbits around the Mun so I can eventually pick my own landing site.

While I have not played anything earlier than 0.13.2, y'all could say I actually learned quite a bit from playing even in the demo. It was because of this game that I also decided to tackle Orbiter again (which admittedly, still need practice with). However, I was able to learn more about apoapsis and periapsis through Orbiter (which I actually first used years ago, but had no clue at the time due to the steeper learning curve).

To end this post, I will list the things I have learned/acquired throughout each version I played:

0.13.2-0.13.3

- Built my first rocket and was able to fly it upwards without fail.

- Built my first Mun-reaching capable rocket.

- Built my first Mun-landing capable rocket and used it to land. (Used the four winglet method)

- Learned to land on the engine(s) directly on Kerbin (Rarely use this skill though due to very high risk of damage and velocity had to be very low).

- Learned to establish orbit (circularizing it for instance)

- Built my first aircraft (took many tries to get this one right).

- Reached Minimus (I might've landed there once in this version).

- Learned to conduct EVA.

- Built some of my first large-part stock rockets.

- Learned Orbital Rendezvous (This was just before you were able to use any flight planner found in the next major version.).

- My first simulated docking attempted (mainly to prepare for the next major version.).

- First use of MechJeb. (Only version I have used it in so far. Also used it only for information.)

- Learned to use the Flight Planner.

- Learned to dock on the first shot using the new features.

- Constructed my first space station.

- Attempted to construct a ship in orbit.

- Attempted to build my first rover.

- Built my first base classes of rockets. (With no command pods. However, this method isn't quite perfect for use yet until a later version.)

- Planted my first flags.

- First use of Kerbal Engineer Redux and Subassembly Manager.

While I'm not as much of a veteran as several, could say I'm a veteran from the 0.13.2-0.13.3 era. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.