How small can you go?

WhiteWeasel

Mine are a little bigger than that, with quite a bit more xenon. Partially this is because I need to carry a Kethane scanner as well (and those things are quite a bit heavier than the ISA scanner), but mainly it's so that I can do some major orbital adjustment.

Yeah, I've started carrying Kethane scanners as well. It wasn't the weight that threw me off, but how much power it eats. My satellites now carry six Z-100 battery packs. That's enough to power the kethane scanner on the dark side of Kerbin at a 200km orbit. Also enough for some good long burns, although I haven't tried any of the transfer orbits you've done.

Then I discovered I only needed one so...

3EB9meE.png

It's like a little solar barge. :D

Fantastic! :) I may have to borrow that idea in my next iteration.

This is one of my probes which has a crash and roll style landing system (using chicken pluckers air bag mod). It packs all the sci stuff and a couple batteries on a probe core, plus 8 airbags, 2 cameras, 2 lights and a parachute for atmo landings.

Robunjll.jpg

here's one coming in for a rolling landing on Minmus

uLBRefQl.jpg

It starts off slightly larger (with engines, legs s-panels and fuel) so I can go for a gentle touch down rather than a crash and roll landing. And before that it's a bit bigger and packs ISA mapping gear and more fuel.

E7VepRvm.jpglpXU4aPm.jpg

4 get sent up together and are launched from a "motherprobe" ship.

NsQH346m.jpg7hlIt10m.jpg

The main craft has got enough dV to get to most planets. I've sent these to most places now, but I rather mucked up the Jool one and I'm waiting for it to come back around again. Kinda getting away from the whole small thing here! but the end result is teeny-tiny.

I think everyone that plays the demo buys the full game. How could you not?!

Fishing again ha. Little fish says $ are like time in this universe, relative.

I was hooked the first time I sent little green men flying into the air only to have my rocket blow up and scatter kerbal guts everywhere.

Yer me too! Mad game.

Send a huge fleet of unicycle rovers somewhere.

makes perfect sense as an addition on an probe lander, put one of this on a side and decople it after landing.

Put the science instruments on the lander. use it to look around the landing place or close up of an abnormality.

NsQH346m.jpg7hlIt10m.jpg

The main craft has got enough dV to get to most planets. I've sent these to most places now, but I rather mucked up the Jool one and I'm waiting for it to come back around again. Kinda getting away from the whole small thing here! but the end result is teeny-tiny.

.craft. Now.

It's not stock, but it has only two parts.

Bobcat's seat and NovaPunch's Chiron lander legs.

It reminds me of those proposed emergency Lunar return craft for Apollo that they never built.

uXDDBaE.png

That engine makes it 3. Trust me, I use Chiron landers all day on my Minmus base.

Pocket Plane, 100% stock

The Pilot is having a great time, As you can see...

r3BUaHq.png

2FCFIJC.png

Can also be dropped out of a larger aircraft. It can even be strapped to a space station for a horizontal landing escape pod!

tL07MA5.png

Edited by zpox357

Finally did it! 2.22 tons to take one Kerbal (on a ladder) to and from the Mun. I kept trying with 2 but found that Kerbals have enough mass that the delta-V calculations were off, and I would just barely run out of fuel on the final powered landing back on Kerbin.

http://imgur.com/a/zPS6q#0

haha, that's brilliant! It's like some kinda crazy flying swivel chair.

Pocket Plane, 100% stock

*snip*

I like the pocket plane too. I'm not sure I'd like it if I was told I'd be the one sitting on it, but I'm sure Jeb loves it!

My mapping satellites are generally tiny things as well, though I don't use ion drives, generally just the tiny 'engine for ants' and either a tiny fuel tank or the inner tube type.

Here's my Duna probe:

screenshot472.png

screenshot473.png

It's meant to be dropped off by a manned mission, but does have ~1km/s of delta-v for plane changes, etc.

Here's Minimus I: a Mun lander with only 10 parts (+18 for the launcher). I used mechjeb to fly it for optimal efficiency, but it had about 1,000 m/s of delta-v left when it splashed down on kerbin. It splashed down a little hard. Turns out 4x time warp isn't good for parachutes... yeah... anyway, pics:

bxgvVKv.jpg

Minimus I on the launch pad.

PLjxpGD.png

This stage accomplished TMI, landing, munar ascent, and return to Kerbin with 1000 m/s to spare.

iekMUn2.png

Landed on the Mun.

F7mmbdh.png

Return to kerbin.

Then i splashed down hard and was destroyed, but only because of my own error in timewarping too fast.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.