[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

I've done something similar. I used an EVA kerbal with a connector plug to hook two spacecraft together, with a relative velocity of roughly ten meters per second. I then went back and grabbed another plug, and attached it on the other side of the docking port, and retracted both at the same time. The overly strong and rapid winches made them crash into each other and a thruster broke off, but I'm sure with designs that take collisions into account it would be a very effective method of docking.

Wait a minute if your kerbal is going 10 m/s per second from one or the other ship does that only give you 5 seconds tops to attach one ship to another before your KAS reaches the end of its rope?

Wait a minute if your kerbal is going 10 m/s per second from one or the other ship does that only give you 5 seconds tops to attach one ship to another before your KAS reaches the end of its rope?
I'm not sure exactly how much time I had, but the craft was basically just doing an extremely close flyby. I had a few seconds to attach it with the kerbal, but it was somewhat stressful. The reason is that because of a messed up rendezvous procedure, I ran out of fuel before I could match velocities. If I were to do it again, I could probably do it safely.

I have those containers but they don't separate like that. Is there a new version I missed?

No. It was special version for KAS by request. Without KAS functionality separation will not give you any advantages.

Unfortunatly, bob crashed after dropping the second extractor, he is now stuck in the pod because the door is obstructed... At least the freight was not destroyed. (containers)

a7sddw6.png

Decided to test pipes for pumping the remaining fuel from the crashed tug. Bob will be saved later (surely with the help of winch/magnet on the other tug)

veCRoqq.png

I know that is not nice from me to show you that :) But there is some bugs remaining that cause explosion after save/load/warp.

It seem that sometime the vessel get spawned under the ground for a unknow reason. It cause explosion because parts a suddendly pushed up to the ground level. Not sure if it's a KAS or a KSp bug.

how can I get those pipelines >.<

Has anyone tried violent dock-o-crashing using KAS and no RCS? In my testing I've successfully docked ships traveling at up to 25 m/s from each other.

1. Have ships pass within a few meters of each other.

2. Aim KAS system so that other ship will cross its line of fire

3. Wait for it, wait for it, wait... OOps you missed it, reload!

4. Fire Electromagnets and grab on to other ship.

5. Violent tumbling begins.

6. Retract KAS and switch on and off ASAS on both sips until their magic infinite spin gyros suck up all the kinetic energy

7. Line up docking ports (or if you done this well enough they will already be close enough to pull each other in automatically.)

8. Fire KAS again and pull each other in.

Advantages: No need for RCS, no need to match velocities as long as they are below 25 m/s (maybe higher, just haven't tested higher), violent hair-raising fun.

This is 'Jeb's guide to Docking Spacecraft", ain't it?

My Kethane tanker in approch

xDF0XFX.png

I will now transfer the Kethane extracted to it for sending it back to my munar orbital station refinery

At last, it allow me to test that mixing struts and winches are working. You can also use it in the other way by plugging the connector in a port attached on a pylon connected to the ship :)

nquKr2G.png

However, I always get explosions when parts get spawned under the ground after the save/load... As some people noticed it, It seem that is a KSP issue, however KAS connecting things seem to increase the frequency of the problem.

At least It seem to always happen after a weird bug : sometime the kerbal eva get crazy and start to "slide" on the ground without any control. Each time that bug happened, saving/loading spawned ships under the ground and caused explosions.

I do not see the connection, but avoiding to save after that seem to be a good solution for now

Edited by KospY

Hello KospY and all,

When trying to use the current version of KAS with 0.21, i am getting terrible game pauses, stutters and the log file is filling up with

[EXC 07:36:42.634] NullReferenceException

[EXC 07:36:42.694] NullReferenceException

[EXC 07:36:42.755] NullReferenceException

[EXC 07:36:42.815] NullReferenceException

When i remove KAS, it goes away... I was wondering if you or anyone else has seen this and might know what is causing this conflict.

much thanks, love the mod, just need these things to go away. The log has thousands of these..

Ok, has anyone else seen this? thanks. Just trying to work down what may or may not be the culprit.

EDIT: HELLO, Ok, so since zero comments or feedback, that means that a) nobody else has seen this or B) this is invisible ink.????

Edited by drtedastro
NO feedback

Bit of an issue here, I don't know if it's been reported before (chances are yes, but still. Couldn't fine anything similar in the last few pages)

It seems that when attaching the cable, one or both ships suddenly lose all torque power... or something. RCS doesn't seem to work and neither does any SAS units (be it the probe torque itself or external units)

Happens in both docked and undocked mode. I'm just trying to connect two ships here to transfer some Kethane, but during the process there's some kind of phantom force that tips one or both ships over, trying to use any controls to correct the situation are in avail; I can see the RCS thrusters firing but there's no actual attitude change.

Kind of game-breaking. The ship actually works (I can fire engines, raise gear etc) but just not the torque... Weird.

Hopefully the new pipes (and 0.4) would both render this method obsolete and somewhat fix this bug?

Thanks.

Requimrar, I guess the problem you describe is caused by the fact that KSP sees the two ships now as one object with one barycenter but ignores that they are not rigidly connected to it. SAS and RCS try to turn around the center of mass, assuming that the connection IS rigind and fail.

4D0vn.png

It might be a conflict with Extraplanetary Launchpads, which is unfortunate because EPL is unusable without KAS.

I deleted every part of this base and rebuilt it, and still get the message. It happens whenever I have the EPL launchpad and a KAS winch loaded in the same scene, I think.

I had the saddest thing happen today. Wilben Kerman, the only guy on my space station currently, accidentally got the detachable connector stuck to his helmet and his little Kerbal arms couldn't reach it. His suit reacted oddly to the off-centerness of his new mass distribution (read: the physics went all weird) and he quickly ran out of suit propellant. It never dawned on him (read: me) to turn off his suit thrusters and now he's floating, propellant-less, about a half a KM from the now abandoned station.

Today we save him. I don't know how, exactly, but that's what we're doing.

Here_I_Am.png

Today we save him. I don't know how, exactly, but that's what we're doing.

Take small maneuverable craft(not necessary but more handy), stop it close to the guy and push him by the hatch to give him a chance to catch ladder. It's can be tricky but I did it several times in similar situations. Like docking but little harder.

Edited by zzz

I've got a problem with KAS. Namely, the attachment function won't work. The message appears, but the attachment cursor never activates, so things like the mobile radial attachment ports are useless, and there's no way to, for example, attach a magnet or hook manually to somewhere.

I've got no other mods besides Kerbal Engineer.

Also the other functions of the winch system are rather... inconsistent in how they work. Is there a detailed instruction manual on how to use the various functions? The guide in the OP (technically something like the third post) is fairly general, and doesn't detail the exact usage parameters for everything.

Oh. Well it would be cool to have them released like that. The look of containers setting around gives a base an active look. Different resources and equipment ready to be swapped out between ships and rovers would be a col option instead of having to add the same things over and over to each vessel.

I use the KAS as often as I can, it has been a great addition to the game! I've only a few problems when linking landed craft have happened but I found that instead of releasing I just extend the cable.

I could have done it. I swear. However, Physics decided he'd fly off in a random direction again and he was on a fast descent. I tried to catch him but I only had one chance. He actually bounced off the ladder but I either didn't hit f on time or he was going too fast for it to register (maybe 10 m/s). This was at 60km so I didn't dare try again, lest I lose the ability to switch back to the pod and lose both of the men.

Jergard (the pilot of that pod) will surely pour one out for Wilben tonight.

I've got a problem with KAS. Namely, the attachment function won't work. The message appears, but the attachment cursor never activates, so things like the mobile radial attachment ports are useless, and there's no way to, for example, attach a magnet or hook manually to somewhere.

I've got no other mods besides Kerbal Engineer.

Also the other functions of the winch system are rather... inconsistent in how they work. Is there a detailed instruction manual on how to use the various functions? The guide in the OP (technically something like the third post) is fairly general, and doesn't detail the exact usage parameters for everything.

Yeah I have similar problems. I've found that if I switch back to the space center and then back to the Kerbal who's trying to attach the connector, it'll work.

First, thank you for your great mod, nearly all my creations use it! second, i too have a problem when using KAS and the explanet lauchpad. in my case, all connected parts start to shake wildly, it looks like........ well a munquake....