[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

My Kethane refinery isn't suffering from the "leap into the air and explode" bug, it's rejoicing in it. I have 4 containers, each with 1 pipe end, 1 pylon, and 3 connector ports. I grabbed one box, set up the pylon about 25m away, and attached the pipe end and ports to the pylon. I then built a pipe from the pylon to one of the 4 connectors on the refinery itself. The refinery also has 4 radial horizontal winches with anchors to act as guy wires. Every time I load the refinery, it gets thrown into the air and detonates. There are no EVA Kerbals in the area, only 2 flags to mark landing zones.

At this point, I'm starting to wonder if I built atop a kraken nest, because this is happening 100% of the time. Load from quicksave - boom. Restart and load from the Tracking Center - boom. Launch a ship to do a flyby - boom. It happens just as the lighting effects for the refinery go to high-detail rendering (within a ~300 meter radius).

UPDATE: I sent a test mission out to just drop and link two pylons. Everything went fine, but as soon as the pylons were linked with a pipe, Milney exploded on his way back to the ship. Geofdun, trying to escape the summoned kraken, launched the ship in hope of reaching Munar orbit. He and the entire ship spontaneously detonated about 2m off the ground. On switching away and back, the pylons themselves leaped into the air as soon as physics started. Both pylons had 3 connectors and 1 pipe end.

Edited by RabidMonkey

Only issue I am having is I can't get any of the winches to actually work. They don't retract, extend and the GUI just shows "Name Winch". I will test some more tonight.

Only issue I am having is I can't get any of the winches to actually work. They don't retract, extend and the GUI just shows "Name Winch". I will test some more tonight.

They are working for me and I was using them just minutes ago to get my plugin correctly calculating how much charge they use.

thank you so much for this mod! the new version might have some problems, but the potential of it is amongst the highest of any mod around!

Oh I agree, I will certainly use it... once the bugs are fixed!

The new version seems to think KAS should stand for "Kraken Attack! ****!" On a kethane probe with no KAS parts at all, I switched back to it to discover that half of the struts now pointed off into nowhere, connected to nothing. When I tried to do a braking burn coming into Duna, it flipped out and exploded. It had made burns just fine only an hour ago. Is it possible that there's something in the KAS libraries that makes the existing 0.21 physics bugs worse?

Note: I absolutely love this mod, and will happily reload it once the bugs are cleared up. In the meantime, anyone know where I can find the old version? I need Kerbals that can rappel!

Edited by RabidMonkey

I'd like to help as best I can in pinpointing the bugs in this release. @KospY, what info do you need to track down the problems? After loading this mod it broke my KSP pretty hard. I don't know if it's a compatibility problem or something intrinsic to this mod but it usually CTD with sparse details in the error log. Anything I can do, let me know. This is a great mod and much props to you.

They are working for me and I was using them just minutes ago to get my plugin correctly calculating how much charge they use.

Its no big deal I will just cope without it till I can either figure out what is wrong or if there is a patch to fix what I can't figure out.

With this mod possibles is endless!!! thank you!!!

this mod made me plays KSP much more more often.

I have a few questions and some suggestion and maybe found a bug/troubles;

question1. if I use more then 2 survey for satelitte then its 2 times faster scanning ?(not tested yet) with only one survey it take so long to scan a half moon, even on a best speed.

compared of sizes with earth and moon,i think there is too much kethane grid-tiles map on the mun. (how smaller planet/moon how tiles should be bigger too)

2. question/trouble.(see picture, I was connecting all pipes) When I let landed a lander with 4 inflatable farms(bobcat) beside my new kethane-base. after connecting with pipes I realized that it is wobbling and not standing still, so i was going back to VAB to build something for Central Command Mun Center with stuffs as with radial connectors with 4x grappling hooks for stabilization.

I switched back to my rover on mun, then suddenly really everything big bang exploded after one second. I suspected pipes is explosion chain-able?

it was funny, it was raining all parts. It was not a trouble, luckily I already quicksaved before farms-hub landing. I can continue with my a great plan with mun base.

3. a great suggestion;

Bigger "pipes" and pylons! just with other function, as a inflatable docking ports/tunnel. so kerbals can walk between crafts(roleplay and just a fashion, as long we cannot move free into IVA).

SPMK3Eb.png

edit; HINT after reading some replys.

you dont need to reboot KSP for attach bug. just reload gamescene! (switch back to space center, then go back, then attach and some bugs is gone)

it happens every time after succesful landing, then that attach bug came. so after now I always switch back to space center after a landing.

Edited by tttyto

Is there something wrong with the old-style Horizontal Stack Winch? It seems to be created with about half the menu items turned off, including Grab Connector and Extend / Retract, and tampering with the save file to turn them back on doesn't work (they just get turned straight back off again). The Vertical Stack Winch seems fine, but I haven't tried the new ones yet...

i have a weird bug to report but the really weird part about this is that i am not sure it is beneficial or not.....

it is that the KAS parts only work if i merge them with the old KAS parts which not only prevented a broken save but had saved lots of my stuff any way but i am not asking a fix but just informing

So If I just fresh installed KSP, and are starting a new save, is this worth installing in its current state?

I would say yes, that's what I did. Only advice, SAVE MORE. Between possible random explosions (only has happened to me twice, each time I was saved by a save :) ), and the no attach bug (just quick save and reload.) It helps to hit the save more often, I'm still playing around with it though I could have just not met the conditions for a give up and remove scenario. All in all I love it and I think my head will explode when more updates or fixes or whatnot arrive. :P

I would say yes, that's what I did. Only advice, SAVE MORE. Between possible random explosions (only has happened to me twice, each time I was saved by a save :) ), and the no attach bug (just quick save and reload.) It helps to hit the save more often, I'm still playing around with it though I could have just not met the conditions for a give up and remove scenario. All in all I love it and I think my head will explode when more updates or fixes or whatnot arrive. :P

Fair enough, I guess I'll give it a go, will be a lot easier to refuel antimatter rockets from KSPI.

I have a less-fiery report.

I currently have a single vessel using KAS parts in orbit; 100x100km. It's basically a B9 Drone cockpit, a large spherical fuel tank, a large kethane converter, a large nuclear engine, and six semi-spherical kethane tanks radially attached to the spherical fuel tank through Editor Tools. On two of these tanks, I had a vertical winch (important note: added without symmetry), I had a strut link on two others, and a pipe link on the last two. There was also a few nuclear generators, attachment ports, and storage containers with stuff in them.

The meat of the matter: If I'm within a few hundred meters of this ship with my kethane, the winches seperate themselves from the ship, causing the whole thing to tumble like crazy in the process. I've also noticed that the winches decided on their own to let the cable out a few meters. The winches are, of course, not mountable in EVA, which brings me to my second point: I don't see a mounting icon in EVA. I withdrew an Illuminator from a storage container and attempted to place it on my (eventually-docked) shuttle. No dice. The message telling me how to place it came up, but the phantom shape showing where it'd be never did. Clicking was also ineffective. I unfortunately have not attempted this with any other parts just yet.

Edit: While I was typing this, it seems someone suggested quickloading as a fix for "the no attach bug," which I'm presuming is the can't-mount-things-from-EVA bug. I haven't tried this yet; KSP crashed a few minutes ago due to probably unrelated shenanigans and/or memory overflow, and isn't fully restarting. This has happened before, so it's not 4.0's fault.

Edited by Hremsfeld

Having seen all these delightful warnings about pipes, what exactly do they do differently from normal winches and cables?

Also, may I request that a small fuel tank, such as the Oscar B or the toroidal one, be added to the available container parts? I've already modified mine to do so, but I think that should be a part of the mod itself and it'd be nice if I don't have to worry about always reverting it.

Having seen all these delightful warnings about pipes, what exactly do they do differently from normal winches and cables?

Also, may I request that a small fuel tank, such as the Oscar B or the toroidal one, be added to the available container parts? I've already modified mine to do so, but I think that should be a part of the mod itself and it'd be nice if I don't have to worry about always reverting it.

This update lets you do pretty much anything , you can connect 3rd party parts to each other, use pylons, which i think is enormously awesome to use as pipe hubs, and much much more stuff, just give it some time to iron the bugs.

This is the one mod i think this game should have been introduced at the start to begin with by the devs .

They form a rigid connection as opposed to a soft cable link. They're also dramatically lighter and use the same, grabbable piece on both ends. They also don't come with an undocked mode, they're docked-mode-only.

The grabbables list for non-KAS parts is defined in Gamedata/KAS/AddModule.cfg . You can add additional grabbable parts without editing their part.cfg file by putting them in there. The file structure is fairly self-explanatory. The only things that really need tweaking generally are the placement parameters for the part's position on a Kerbal's Back, and the size they take up in a container.

You'll note though that there's two themes in the parts that are included by default: They allow radial attachment, and they're small. He hasn't included large items a Kerbal probably couldn't carry.

So far as I know, none of the tiny fuel tanks allow radial attachment. There's Stratus Roundified Liquidfuel and Oxidizer tanks in KSPx, though.

Also, I did this earlier, via the addmodule.cfg, it made me laugh:

B2467C42A6F240017D51A56F4EDA51AC907CD5C0

Edited by Tiron