[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

how the heck are you not an official dev already?

If he become a official dev he will no longer be so awesome and will work at flag planting system and KAS4 is newer happened :)

But KAS is amaizing, I agree

Edited by zzz

Well... now I've got to rebuild my sat network... maybe. Built my major comsats with radial ports so I could refuel and de-orbit them if I ever felt the need. Well, the boosters I was using needed a rework anyway, wasting way too much fuel hauling too much stuff up and a new KAS is as good as an excuse as you can get.

Every time I'm about to try to build a moon base, something gets updated, or I find another Plugin I like.

So....how stable is it? I know it's alpha...is it worth implementing it in my long term missions or should I wait a more final release?

I may wait until the "Halp! It crashed my game!" slows down a bit.

How many of yall would be interested in a small ssto spaceplane...something thats only a few parts....designed as recovery craft?

Like 2 man cockpit, with small cargo bay (enough for small fuel tank) and a spot to hook 4 of the KAS boxes. Maybe a crewtank to replace cargobay for some missions....

Just an idea I been toying with since new KAS release.

Thanks! I think I follow what you mean, though I'll clearly need to test things a bit. I too have an Extraplanetary Launchpad base held together by KAS hoses that I'd rather not have to rebuild... :)

With some further thinking and experimenting, the bottom line is:

• Everything that relied on a winch being a winch, i.e. retractable and having an actuator on the end, is impractical to upgrade and is better off rebuilt. That includes hanging bases, cranes, towing arrangements of whatever kind, airships with anchors, etc. I don't think making a winch attachable from EVA will work well, and more importantly, it won't be attachable exactly where you want it to be anyway.
  • Anything that relied on a winch for transfer of resources and merging modules into a single vessel is better off done with pipes instead.

So a somewhat simplified upgrade cycle, tested in vitro, is like this:

1. Backup everything. At the very least, back up your entire GameData and saves directories. This should be obvious, but for some people it isn't.
  2. Install container parts from 0.4 separately, removing all part modules from their config files. Start the game. Using your existing base setup, you can now build containers and place one wherever pipes will be needed. Just put it on wheels and drive it off the launchpad if you use them, deliver one by rocket if you don't. Disconnect and reel in all winches everywhere, dispose of craft that rely on winches being winches as appropriate. Once that is done, exit.
  3. Remove all part modules from 0.3 parts, adding a copy KasModuleGrab from a grabbable part like electromagnet instead where one isn't present. Now they don't work as winches and connectors, but you can detach them from the craft. Load the game and get rid of every winch, connector and connector port you have. The bases are inoperative at this point, but you have empty containers in place already.
  4. Delete 0.3 (including the container parts you have edited) and install 0.4, (which will include the container parts in their original form) start the game. If you left any connectors lying around as debris, they will now vanish, as will anything that you forgot to remove a connector from. Switch to every craft that contains a container and open it for a good measure to check if they're okay. That will make containers operable, they are now empty. Build a vessel that is just a container full of pipe endpoints and junctions, launch it and exit the game. Now you can edit the save file to fill containers with as many pipe endpoints as you need to restore everything, and you can look at the container you just launched in the savefile to see how to edit your containers that are at your remote bases to match. Look for "CONTENT" section for the contents of the container, the format is trivial. You can edit in more pipe endpoints than the container would otherwise be able to hold, by the way.
  5. Load again and reconnect the bases with pipes taken from your containers, you're done. Now you can build a new crane or whatever it is that would need explicit winches to work.

Quite a hassle, but still easier than rebuilding bases from scratch.

Edited by Mihara

does MJ controll the suit form eva with that attached?

Not that I've seen, thus far. I think the controls are too different for it, mostly. It might be able to do some stuff, but I haven't really tried it seriously.

Ok I think I hit the point where I'll just wait until a fix... :( My problem is now that as I am walking from one pipe endpoint to the next to link them I lose control of my kerbal. The only thing I can do while he is floating along the ground is hit the ESC key and return to the game. This fixes the uncontrolled sliding but cancels the link. I have a bunch of random KAS parts on the ground and after I had dropped the ground pylons I realized there is an attach option for them, would it be that I had a few pipes attached to a "dropped" pylon vs. attaching it to the ground?

EDIT: So I set up a little test just out from KSC. I had a rover, set up some pylons (attached to ground this time) and attached them with pipes. I put lights on top and when I went to attach to the rover I fell over and could not regain my footing. So I saved and reloaded, BOOM!!! Ok so that rover was lost, launched a new one drove over to where my Kerbal(now standing up like nothing happened), and the whole lot of it sunk in to the ground followed by a splash and LOTS of explosions, far more then there were parts. Entertaining but not at the same time :)

Edited by Secret Squirrel

I created a mod review here. Thanks for the awesome work KospY. KSP couldn't be the same without my giant skycranes.

Nice mod review ! Thanks. Video are a lot better for showing all the feature (and bugs !) of KAS :)

About KAS 0.4 bugs, I'm working hard on it, and so far I fixed one that complety mess up the container mass calculation. It seem that nobody see it, but I'm sure a lot of people moving around more than 5 tons containers containing only struts :)

I found that bug by chance after I wondering why my munar lander was so difficult to fly after repacking stuff in it's containers ! (I was moving my base)

Also, I'm on the right track for fixing one of the universe destroying bug, I was able to reproduce the problem easly with this simple setup :

Winch ready, let's extend the cable

9bJw8Zr.png

What the ? Where is the universe ? At least the winch continue to work :)

6EUPtGV.png

Edit : I think I also found the problem of the other "universe destroying" bug, (A little bit different of this one, it happen after loading and the screen get full of fire or your vessel are flying across the planet at very very high speed)

Edited by KospY

About KAS 0.4 bugs, I'm working hard on it, and so far I fixed one that complety mess up the container mass calculation. It seem that nobody see it, but I'm sure a lot of people moving around more than 5 tons containers containing only struts :)

I found that bug by chance after I wondering why my munar lander was so difficult to fly after repacking stuff in it's containers ! (I was moving my base)

Also, I'm on the right track for fixing one of the universe destroying bug, I was able to reproduce the problem easly with this simple setup :

Winch ready, let's extend the cable

9bJw8Zr.png

What the ? Where is the universe ? At least the winch continue to work :)

6EUPtGV.png

Edit : I think I also found the problem of the other "universe destroying" bug, (A little bit different of this one, it happen after loading and the screen get full of fire or your vessel are flying across the planet at very very high speed)

Awesome! I have to admit, it's kind of entertaining creating huge explosions at will by simply flying over a site...

Kospy,

Glad to see your working on it. I also would like to apologize if I sounded harsh about it being buggy, its does say alpha and all (though it would be nice if you kept 3.1 available for download, for the new people and all). We love your work!

Ah so I should hold off on this upgrade until after those two universe destroying bugs are fixed?

I like my universe, I kept it all the way from 0.17, I don't like it when it gets destroyed.

Out of curiosity is there anything in this new version that would let me join two parts in space that otherwise would have to be joined in a VAB without using docking ports?

(they're really big parts and not something that a Kerbal could realistically sling over his back in EVA...)

Ah so I should hold off on this upgrade until after those two universe destroying bugs are fixed?

I like my universe, I kept it all the way from 0.17, I don't like it when it gets destroyed.

Out of curiosity is there anything in this new version that would let me join two parts in space that otherwise would have to be joined in a VAB without using docking ports?

(they're really big parts and not something that a Kerbal could realistically sling over his back in EVA...)

The fuel pipes should work for that.