[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

Unfortunately some of those things can encompass multiple mods. MagicSmokeIndustries for example, I have two from: Reflaginator and Infernal Robotics. We need to know which mods are being used in those.
It's infernal robotic. (I've added this information in my post above)

Hi Kospy,

I just got this message from you:

[KAS] Warning ! ActiveVessel.heightFromTerrain are negative (-1) do not save now (vessel spawning underground bug) and please report this message to KospY on the KAS thread

It was in my KSP.log file. I have been getting crash-to-desktop whenever my de-orbitting vessel reaches about 30km above Kerbin, no KAS components on it. Today I installed the 4.1 update but the problem was unchanged. Initially I thought it was another memory crash, but the circumstances were too repeatable, plus what with all the "redux" texture patches coming out recently I was surprised to see it happen so often, so I checked the log and saw your message.

I've PM'd you the contents of the log file, let me know if you want any further detail.

Cheers :)

-edit-

I should add that vehicles/debris that de-orbit whilst Im not flying them do not cause a crash.

Edited by p1t1o

I can't figure this out. Using the radial connector port, I want to bring one up to another stranded craft, attach it to the stranded craft, and then attach the winch connector to it and haul it in. Seems like what KAS is made for, practically.

I've tested my design on the ground using simple parts--ejecting a Stay Putnik from the top of a craft, going to EVA, attaching the radial connector port to the satellite bit and hauling it in. No problem.

Except when I'm in orbit, none of this works. I can detach the radial connector port and Mac happily carries it around on his back, but I can't reattach it anywhere. What works perfectly on Kerbin, using the H key or selecting the button and then clicking a destination, doesn't work at all in orbit. It simply won't let me reattach. Here's some screenshots:

>snipped images<

What's going wrong here?

I have this same problem using KAS 3.1. Tested plan on ground at KSC and everything works exactly as expected.....can't attach the parts once in orbit.

Bumping my question from yesterday:

Question: were the standard, fixed attachment points (Radial Connector Ports) changed at all from the last version? I have a couple of rovers with winches, etc, but they're fairly easily deleted and replaced; but if a craft has nothing but one or more of the regular "sockets", will it be affected (fail to load, explode, etc)?

I can confirm that you can remove the KAS plugin and leave the parts folder intact.

In case you have a vessel in space somewhere with the new KAS parts but want to remove KAS to see if it is causing a crash somewhere.

I have removed my KAS plugin as it is causing me some problems, but my spacestation with KAS containerbays on it is still intact in the persistance file, the contents of each bay are even still stored (and no more crashes on re-entry).

I havn't risked flying the station yet but hopefully if the issue is resolved I can add the plugin back and my station will be functional.

Hi KospY,

sorry to say, but the pipes cause still nice explosions by making things spawn into the underground on loading.

Facts:

- _all_ Vessels in this scence are spawning into underground. Even the not connected ones.

-> in this scene, 2 vessels are connected via pipe, 4 are independant.

- the EVA there spawn at the right place (and get not bounced)

Here is my safe:

persistent.sfs

my Plugin-Dir:

14.09.2013 14:29 <DIR> DeadlyReentry

06.08.2013 18:45 <DIR> EditorExtensions

06.09.2013 09:57 <DIR> FerramAerospaceResearch

04.10.2013 14:53 <DIR> KAS

22.08.2013 16:30 <DIR> Keramzit -> ProceduralFairings

13.08.2013 17:21 <DIR> Kethane

29.09.2013 22:26 <DIR> kOS

30.09.2013 13:27 <DIR> KOSMOS

05.08.2013 17:58 <DIR> KSPX

12.09.2013 00:03 <DIR> MagicSmokeIndustries -> Infernal Robotics

25.07.2013 10:24 <DIR> MechJeb2

05.09.2013 16:28 <DIR> ModsByTal -> Spherical Fuel Tanks

21.08.2013 14:50 7.168 ModuleManager.dll

06.09.2013 20:32 <DIR> NavyFish -> DockingPortAlignment

19.09.2013 19:59 <DIR> PartCatalog

22.08.2013 16:30 <DIR> RCSBuildAid

13.08.2013 17:20 <DIR> SelectRoot

03.07.2013 15:25 <DIR> Squad

29.08.2013 23:15 <DIR> StretchyTanks

09.07.2013 18:51 <DIR> SubassemblyManager

29.07.2013 22:41 <DIR> TacFuelBalancer

15.09.2013 15:14 <DIR> Telemachus

29.07.2013 22:39 <DIR> TriggerTech -> KerbalAlarmClock

04.10.2013 14:55 <DIR> WarpPlugin

The scene in on Mun, try to load the EVA there.

Addtional info:

If send a other probe to the mun -> and slowly entered the haunted place. As i got into the physical range (below 2.2km) all went fine: Ships stand on the surface, no explosions, and so on. But as i entered the range below ~300m, the ships respawn one by one below the surface and got blown up. This is very stange for me...

The 300 m thing sounds like something I've read about a 'packed' state of a vessel. Supposedly when you are within 2 km vessels are loaded, but not fully simulated until within 300 m or something like that.

I have this same problem using KAS 3.1. Tested plan on ground at KSC and everything works exactly as expected.....can't attach the parts once in orbit.

Glad I'm not the only one... Is anyone else having this problem?

Is it solved by upgrading to v4? I haven't had a change to test it out yet

Been having some problems of my own trying to use KAS 4.1 for in-orbit (Munar) refueling. I made one pipe connection and started transferring fuel, and it started causing the two docked vessels to shake relative to each other. SAS and Smart A.S.S. were both off, but it seemed to amplify anyway. Kept coming back after timewarping to try to kill it too. Once during timewarp the refueling tanker's parts near the pipe connector all shifted out of position slightly during the warp, and snapped back afterwards. Hit a point where I COULDN'T timewarp because it thought the ship was 'under acceleration'. Stabilized it somewhat (ironically with the SAS), and had Bob emergency unlink(Unlink really needs to not be EVA-Only, I think.) The two parts went flying off away from each other and I burned quite a lot of monoprop getting close enough to try again.

I decided to try reinforcing the connection with struts. Ended up with the 'no attach pointer' problem, so I saved and reloaded to try to clear it. After reloading, Bob's jetpack didn't work. The thrusters would fire but imparted no movement. Right clicking on the strut connector brought up no menu. I couldn't recall what the 'drop part' button was since the controls are apparently undocumented, and just started pushing buttons. One of them worked, and the instant it detached it went flying away from Bob VERY fast, achieving several KM distance in a matter of seconds. It despawned at some point before I checked to see if it was orbiting the Mun, no idea why. After another save and reload, Bob's jetpack worked again and he was able to get back inside the pod with less than 30% fuel. The struts turned out not to be long enough anyway. The subsequent fuel transfer was successful, though I kept it short.

The tanker turned out to have somehow had its periapsis dropped by 5km in all this.

After landing, partially refueling a craft on the ground, and heading back up to the refueling tanker, the craft once more tried to pipe-dock with the refueling tanker. I decided to bring it in closer and better aligned on the fuel pipe connector, almost like docking normally, and see if that helped the shaking. I hit 'link' on the first pipe connector while Bob was still on the ladder. There was instantly a very violent kick. I don't know precisely what happened, but bob was sent spinning off one way, the main body of the plane another, and the cockpit of the plane a third. The front end of the refueling tanker was also broken off the main body of it, but floating stably a short distance in front of the main body. The Mechjeb unit on it was set to KillRot at the time, so it may have auto-stabilized it (it had a large probe core and a large ASAS and could've stabilized very quickly with the fuel tanks broken off.)

Edit: New attempt of that last resulted in a similar effect, only this time only when I activated the second half of the link, to the refueling tanker. the tanker was instantly torn in half approximately at the connection point, parts sent flying all over. Bob went flying. Plane underneath appeared to be intact but was seen to be firing its thrusters to correct orientation, probably got hit by something?

Edited by Tiron

I found an interesting bug. I had a skycrane docked to it's cargo, I put 4 radial connectors round it and connected to winches (this was to 'tie' the load down so to speak while I took it in to land). It worked fine but as soon as I hit time warp, the radial connectors stayed where they were while the ship moved on. Take the warp off and the parts come flying back at great speed destroying the ship. This effect was completely repeatable.

In the end I unplugged all the cables and retracted the winches. The radial connectors then stayed plugged where they were while I time warped etc and landed. I was just lucky that the load wasn't too heavy and didn't rattle about much.

The whole pipe thing, AWESOME! One thing though, I don't think it's KAS but if I load in from space center sometimes my solar panels brake when physics kicks in, any one have ideas, comments on that?

That has nothing to do with KAS, has been a KSP bug for sometime now. If your in atmosphere make sure ya pull in your panels before you unload the craft. Its a good idea to include a couple RTGs on any longterm missions within atmosphere.

Bug Report (Sorry for posting it here, I don't have a GutHub account)

On occasions, the animators for communatrons (and some other things) fail to load correctly, leaving an undeployed (by animation) communatron in "Locked/Fixed" mode (by context menu). I fixed this using action groups to reopen them (after a bit of button mashing) but it would be nice if this was looked at. I think it is something to do with the attach module. There are 2 possible fixes I can see: 1. Make the communatrons toggalable (Squad will probably impliment this anyway with the R&D update) 2. KAS code??? (unsure on how to fix this way)

Bug Report (Sorry for posting it here, I don't have a GutHub account)

On occasions, the animators for communatrons (and some other things) fail to load correctly, leaving an undeployed (by animation) communatron in "Locked/Fixed" mode (by context menu). I fixed this using action groups to reopen them (after a bit of button mashing) but it would be nice if this was looked at. I think it is something to do with the attach module. There are 2 possible fixes I can see: 1. Make the communatrons toggalable (Squad will probably impliment this anyway with the R&D update) 2. KAS code??? (unsure on how to fix this way)

No, that's a bug with the animation module, I believe

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but...When I grab a part from a container with a kerbal in EVA, I have to drop the part, grab the connector, then attach it to the part. When I try to grab the completed part, it bugs out and goes flying off

Since KospY posted 0.4 update I see a large amount of 'bug' reports about quirks that have been around for the last few KSP versions....hope I can help a bit =)

Couple things Id like to stress first off though:

This is NOT a 100% fix for all KAS related issues, but it does help

KAS (or any other mod that adds such complex functionality) is NEVER gonna work 100% right 100% of the time...and its not always bugs within the mod. Sometimes is bugs within KSP, or not a bug at all but rather just how the physics engine of the game figures certain things at times.

That having been said here we go!

It seems to me that alot of KAS users are only looking at the parts, and ignoring the base game mechanics. As far as core game mechanics goes there is only one way to dock 2 craft together...and thats via an EmptyGameObject named to act as a 'docking node'. No matter what part you put it in, no matter how the part works, no matter the variables, its still just a docking node.

Keep this in mind when making winch/pipe/strut connections:

4x4k8UZ.png

This is how you want to try and make connections if at all possible. Note the 2 pipe connectors are (almost =P) facing each other....like you would have to face docking ports.

EYwj5v9.png

This connection still works...but your gonna see a higher rate of bug instances. This is also gonna cause a higher rate of physics AHHHS (those times when game physics kick in with less than desirable results)!!

The Kracken also told me himself that he prefers to eat off center connectors more than any other....so there ya go.

Like I said, this is not by any means a fix or 100% cure for anything...but it does help alot (esp with exploding craft on reload).

Hope this helps =)