[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

My debug log gets spammend continuously with the "Active vessel height is negative" warning. This is independent of actual ground proximity or anything, really. I don't even have a single KAS part currently on ANY vessel in that save. While this is probably not gamebreaking, it bloats up the logfile and makes tracking other debug messages ingame impossible.

Mihara: I rather dislike the bindings, so I disable key control on all my winches on vessel spawn. A bit annoying on some designs, but it saves me a lot of grief (too lazy (?!?) to edit the config files).

I've been experimenting with adding GRAB to some other parts (nice job on this wiki btw). Is there anyway to make changes to addModule.cfg and not have to restart the entire game to see the result? Trying to get the evaPartPos setup is annoying as you have to restart the game to see each small change.

Also, what does physicJoint do exactly? I've found that if I change the stock parachute to physicJoint = false then I can control the kerbal in EVA, but I can't deploy the parachute, whereas when its set to true control in EVA (in space) is messed up but the chute works. Does it mean; it will function as if attached to a ship and also effect the mass distribution of the kerbal? is it like the difference between docked and undocked mode?

I've been experimenting with adding GRAB to some other parts (nice job on this wiki btw). Is there anyway to make changes to addModule.cfg and not have to restart the entire game to see the result? Trying to get the evaPartPos setup is annoying as you have to restart the game to see each small change.

Also, what does physicJoint do exactly? I've found that if I change the stock parachute to physicJoint = false then I can control the kerbal in EVA, but I can't deploy the parachute, whereas when its set to true control in EVA (in space) is messed up but the chute works. Does it mean; it will function as if attached to a ship and also effect the mass distribution of the kerbal? is it like the difference between docked and undocked mode?

While at the space center (at the overlook with all the buildings, controlling no crafts) go to debug menu (alt+f12) and go to database, reload database. Works for any config changes I have tested, including changing tank resources and even adding new parts that are only config changes.

You need to go over the documentation again, I dont recall the command but you can open up KAS debug window ingame (or at least used to be able to) and adjust the grab/attach positions there. Then ya make note of the numbers and only have to edit config once.

Not sure if this is still possible with latest update, so sorry if this info is a bit misleading, but hope it helps =)

You need to go over the documentation again, I dont recall the command but you can open up KAS debug window ingame (or at least used to be able to) and adjust the grab/attach positions there. Then ya make note of the numbers and only have to edit config once.

Not sure if this is still possible with latest update, so sorry if this info is a bit misleading, but hope it helps =)

If I remember correctly, addmodule.cfg are reloaded eachtime you go to the spacecenter. So just go out of the editor and return.

CTRL+K will also bring up the debug menu. It has been changed a bit and you will need to click on a KAS part to show configuration menus.

I do not test it recently so if you have any bug just tell me.

Also, list of all the keyboard shortcuts are on the wiki : https://github.com/KospY/KAS/wiki/Default%20Keyboard%20Shortcuts

PS : About wiki, just wanted to say that some modules are missing and It definitly lack tutorials. I will surely not have the time to complete it until mid-october but will try to finish at least the part module description.

v0.4.2 released :

----- Features

- Added a new button on the connector for mounting the hook whithout dropping it

----- Bug Fixes

- Grabbing and attaching hooks is now working correctly

- Magnet cannot be attached without a power source anymore

- Attach node on the horizontal stack winch are now correctly placed

- Winches GUI cannot be opened anymore with the "P" key when no winches are present on the vessel

- Debug warning message "...heightFromTerrain are negative..." do not show up anymore when vessel are not landed

- Changed shortcut key numpad "." (eject) to numpad 8 as it was already used for showing/hidding the navball

- Magnet on/off context menu are now hidden when the part is grabbed

- Moved some stuff in the code

- Added the last module I worked on (prototype state, no part yet)

Good chance to be my last update. But the good news is Majiir are taking over the project, and given the really good work done on Kethane, I'm sure that KAS is in good hands :)

Edited by KospY

v0.4.2 released :

----- Features

- Added a new button on the connector for mounting the hook whithout dropping it

----- Bug Fixes

- Grabbing and attaching hooks is now working correctly

- Magnet cannot be attached without a power source anymore

- Attach node on the horizontal stack winch are now correctly placed

- Winches GUI cannot be opened anymore with the "P" key when no winches are present on the vessel

- Debug warning message "...heightFromTerrain are negative..." do not show up anymore when vessel are not landed

- Changed shortcut key numpad "." (eject) to numpad 8 as it was already used for showing/hidding the navball

- Magnet on/off context menu are now hidden when the part is grabbed

- Moved some stuff in the code

- Added the last module I worked on (prototype state, no part yet)

Good chance to be my last update. But the good news is Majiir are taking over the project, and given the really good work done on Kethane, I'm sure that KAS is in good hands :)

Kospy, you already did an outstanding work here, your mod just open an almost endless list of more tasks to do in KSP.

It is so brilliantly done I just can't find my words to describe it ... so professional ! ;)

Good luck and keep up the good work in your real life project, I hope we will see you soon again here.

* Reviens nous vite et merci encore ! *

Thanks KospY, I hope this fixes the problems with pylons and pipes on slopes too. That is making life very hard.

Unfortunatly I think no. I didn't have this problem in fact, I'm on a slope too but maybe is too light too notice something. Can you post a picture of your base ? The slope is maybe a little bit high ?

Also, be sure to not have parts that are rotating because of the slope. If one of them are the root part, that will rotate the entire ship after warp/load. So if you made pretty long pipelines one side on the entire vessel can be in the air and the other one will be underground. (linking pipes will make all the parts to be the same vessel)

The only thing I see to fix that issue will be to update constantly all the original part position and rotation. But it's really something that I want to avoid as much as possible, especially on all the parts of the vessel.

It mess up the original structure so parts under tension / high force will move increasingly after save/load.

Hey KospY,

I've been playing around with the latest version of KAS, i love it, i especially love the cargo containers and their whole setup.

When the KerbolQuest jetpacks came out it occurred to me that these would be excellent devices to store in containers (to make their storage smaller, as if they fold together and fit inside a box and so you could bring them on missions requiring personal aerial travel), so i tried doing just that, it worked out great, aside from the fact that the hovermode in them has to be set using action groups which naturally arent availible to items inside a container, however the concept worked really well and i made them really "large" storagewise so i could not fit many of them in there. Anyhoo, that's not the point, the point it, because of this it also occurred to me that it would be equally possible to store any other single peice craft in this manner, so i tried that too, which had mixed results due to size issues (some cheating involved, just trying the idea), crafts that i tried were BobCat's DEMV MK5 (worked well aside from the "ladder" not working due to the hatch issues) and then last night i tried LLL's Salvage Pod which worked a lot better aside from knocking my kerbal around when i put it down.

So to the point, have you ever considered taking storage up a notch? It would be entirely feasable to use your setup to handle internal cargo-bays or even internal hangar-bays (provided that the craft being stored is a one-peice) almost flawlessly, with larger cargo in this case the only problem is deployment and storing as a very large peice of cargo isnt going to be easy for a kerbal to carry, but if you created a cargo-bay that is basically an expanded container with a somewhat different method for retrieval.. i.e. it spawns and maybe even "docks" the cargo or one-peice ship into a preset launch or loading/unloading position instead of spawning it attached to the Kerbal. I imagine that using some manipulator arm setup for retrieving and deploying cargo could work pretty well.

You might think this would be cheating, but considering you already add the mass of the object stored to the container it would enable complex ships with incredible storage capabilities without the hassle of shifting the centre of mass into an asymetrical position. It would be possible to build space carriers that can carry a squadron of fighters, cargo haulers and exploration ships that could carry serveral rovers internally etc., needless to say i find that concept thrilling.

//Taros

What I thought is to add a deploy/build/pose button in the container so you will not have to grab the part first (it will directly show a attach pointer instead) So that will be possible to "deploy" bigger parts.

However, that will need bigger containers and I will need to find how to handle the reverse operation (packaging)

Hey KospY,

I've been playing around with the latest version of KAS, i love it, i especially love the cargo containers and their whole setup.

When the KerbolQuest jetpacks came out it occurred to me that these would be excellent devices to store in containers (to make their storage smaller, as if they fold together and fit inside a box and so you could bring them on missions requiring personal aerial travel), so i tried doing just that, it worked out great, aside from the fact that the hovermode in them has to be set using action groups which naturally arent availible to items inside a container, however the concept worked really well and i made them really "large" storagewise so i could not fit many of them in there. Anyhoo, that's not the point, the point it, because of this it also occurred to me that it would be equally possible to store any other single peice craft in this manner, so i tried that too, which had mixed results due to size issues (some cheating involved, just trying the idea), crafts that i tried were BobCat's DEMV MK5 (worked well aside from the "ladder" not working due to the hatch issues) and then last night i tried LLL's Salvage Pod which worked a lot better aside from knocking my kerbal around when i put it down.

So to the point, have you ever considered taking storage up a notch? It would be entirely feasable to use your setup to handle internal cargo-bays or even internal hangar-bays (provided that the craft being stored is a one-peice) almost flawlessly, with larger cargo in this case the only problem is deployment and storing as a very large peice of cargo isnt going to be easy for a kerbal to carry, but if you created a cargo-bay that is basically an expanded container with a somewhat different method for retrieval.. i.e. it spawns and maybe even "docks" the cargo or one-peice ship into a preset launch or loading/unloading position instead of spawning it attached to the Kerbal. I imagine that using some manipulator arm setup for retrieving and deploying cargo could work pretty well.

You might think this would be cheating, but considering you already add the mass of the object stored to the container it would enable complex ships with incredible storage capabilities without the hassle of shifting the centre of mass into an asymetrical position. It would be possible to build space carriers that can carry a squadron of fighters, cargo haulers and exploration ships that could carry serveral rovers internally etc., needless to say i find that concept thrilling.

//Taros

Hover mode is defaulted to the END key, the OP has been fixed for the jetpack release :) you can alsoset it to a regular hot key. And we are also working on letting the kerbals carry one in their personal inventory, hence the "Hotbar" that comes with the plugin.

Unfortunatly I think no. I didn't have this problem in fact, I'm on a slope too but maybe is too light too notice something. Can you post a picture of your base ? The slope is maybe a little bit high ?

Also, be sure to not have parts that are rotating because of the slope. If one of them are the root part, that will rotate the entire ship after warp/load. So if you made pretty long pipelines one side on the entire vessel can be in the air and the other one will be underground. (linking pipes will make all the parts to be the same vessel)

The only thing I see to fix that issue will be to update constantly all the original part position and rotation. But it's really something that I want to avoid as much as possible, especially on all the parts of the vessel.

It mess up the original structure so parts under tension / high force will move increasingly after save/load.

I time warped to get fuel quicker from my converters and when I stopped the warp the whole lot jumped into the air.

wTrAHGM.jpg

As you can see it's not a steep slope but it's not inconsiderable either. The ship bit in the middle is the root part. I switched back to it just now and got these shots, as you can see the container farm and fuel depot jumped quite high. Unfortunately this is the only hex on the Mun in this savegame with both kethane and ore.

FfdRo0k.jpg

yspeuqp.jpg

Hey RatZap: You don't appear to have any fuel tanks attached to your kethane converters. How do you get the converted fuel deposited elsewhere? Do pipes now act as fuel transfer lines?

Buggered if I know, any time I switch to it and try to do anything it all jumps into the air and bits explode. I can land, set a base chunk down, connect it and leave again but switching to the base direct just causes mayhem. But that's a good point, I have transfered fuel around through pipes no problem though.

I just checked it at KSC, no it doesn't. Mono works but that's like charge and goes anywhere. Needs some kind of tank on it. I might delete this save and start again. Maybe get a flat hex for my base :-/

Edited by Ratzap

While at the space center (at the overlook with all the buildings, controlling no crafts) go to debug menu (alt+f12) and go to database, reload database. Works for any config changes I have tested, including changing tank resources and even adding new parts that are only config changes.

If I remember correctly, addmodule.cfg are reloaded eachtime you go to the spacecenter. So just go out of the editor and return.

CTRL+K will also bring up the debug menu. It has been changed a bit and you will need to click on a KAS part to show configuration menus.

I do not test it recently so if you have any bug just tell me.

*snip

thanks guys! OMG that is going to save a lot of time!!

v0.4.2 released :

Yay!! :) More awesomeness!

Your gonna be missed KospY!!

Could someone please explain how to use the radial dismountable connector? I can pick it up on EVA, and pressing H brings up the placement text, but then clicking where I want it does nothing.

It's the same bug as in v 0.3 - quicksave then load or go to space center, tracking and back to mr kerbal.

So, I've found a slight problem with attaching things directly to kerbals. If you board a craft, whatever is on that kerbal is lost. If you're a tad bit insane and allowed command seats to be attached to Kerbals to see what would happen, any kerbals riding said command seat are lost too.

First off: I'm really impressed by the KAS 0.4 release. Stability issues aside, the new winch system is a lot cleaner, and pipes and part containers bring about a whole new paradigm of KSP gameplay. It's a bit like bringing the VAB to the flight view.

A few notes about this!

• My highest priority for KAS maintenance is keeping it compatible with new KSP releases. Since KSP 0.22 is nearing arrival, the next KAS update may be synchronized with that release. (If there are major bugs in 0.4.2, I may release a hotfix before then.)
  • My second priority is ironing out as many bugs as possible. KAS 0.4 introduced a lot of new features, so there's a lot to test and I'll be relying on your feedback. To make that go smoothly, please follow the KAS bug reporting guidelines, including using the Github issue tracker. (If you've followed Kethane development, this will look very familiar!) This makes it much easier to diagnose and resolve issues.
  • KospY isn't disappearing completely. He'll still be guiding the development of KAS, and I'll be consulting with him on major decision points. I don't currently have plans to develop new features, but that may change in the coming months.
  • I have no prior exposure to the KAS codebase, which is actually quite a bit larger than Kethane's. It will take some time to get acquainted, so I appreciate everyone's patience.

Cheers,

Majiir