[AAR] The Lunar Incident

NuclearWarfare

vBqq1F9.png

Prologue

Mission Control- Unmanned Robotics Laboratory (U.R.L.)

A Kerbal looks over data, watching the screen as C.U.R.V makes a RCS powered ascent over rough terrain. The visual begins to rotate.

-Director Meurral, RCS thruster 4 has shut down on the C.U.R.V rover.

-Well I'll be damned... Even out the craft as best as you can.

-I'm on it.

C.U.R.V evens out, but though as much as Mission Control could do, the rover digs into the landscape. The front camera, which is on it's underside, goes under with it.

-No..Nonono!

-A multi-million dollar rover crashes in it's first year of service... sir... what do we do?

Director Meurral thinks for a minute, looking at the black screen.

-I think I might just know..

Chapter 1- Assembling The Crew (Scroll Down.)

Chapter 2- Briefing (Scroll down.)

Chapter 3-Lift Off! (Scroll down.)

Chapter 4-A dangerous landing. (Second page.)

Epilogue- (Second page.)

(Story size unknown. I'll put more links if neccessary.)

Edited by NuclearWarfare

Chapter 1-Assembling The Crew

Kerbal Air Force Base, on an early morning

-Sidrod, commence roll program.

-Yessir.

Sidrod rolls the FN-280. During his roll, he sees a vehicle drive down the dirt road, nearing the runway.

-Hey.. what's with the car parking by the runway?

-It's some guy from the space program needing to talk to you.

-I quit that job two years ago. What do they want to do with me?

-Stop complaining, pilot. Get down here.. now.

Sidrod sighs, coming around to land.

-Right in the middle of my practice..

He nears the runway, slowing down. There is a slight bump as his back wheels touch surface.

Ux0wc6e.png

The FN-280 touches down. Sidrod taxi's his jet off the runway and parks in a one of the spots. He gets out, taking his helmet off and walking over to the SUV to greet the director.

-Meurral.

-Sidrod.

-I told you, I'm done with the space pro-

Director Meurral interrupts him

-Just hear me out. I know why you quit.. you were tired of the "boring missions"- going to the Arrowhead Space Labs 6 months at a time.

-Spot on right there, Meurral. Where do you plan on putting me now?

-The Mun.

-The Mun? I mean... yeah.. the mun.

Sidrod hides his pure joy

-I don't know, Meurral.. it doesn't sound that good.

Director Meurral sees his joy as Sidrod tries to hide it

-It's a shame, really. I guess I'll just have to get someone else..

He starts to walk. Sidrod quickly says..

-Wait! Fine you got me.. I'll do it. Who are you putting me with? Some rookie astronauts?

-No, its your commander from the first Mun Base, Bobbald.

-So who's the other one, Meurral?

-There is no other one. We need the space fo- Just meet tommorrow at 0800 for briefing.

The two shake hands. As Meurral gets back in the SUV, Sidrod walks over to his jet, thinking if he made the right choice.

Chapter 2- Briefing

Mission Briefing room, KSP Building

Bobbald walks into the briefing room. Sidrod, Director Meurral, and another gentleman are already seated at the table.

-Bobbald, late as always.

Bobbald chuckles at Sidrod's remark.

-Sidrod, the man who crashed the base's Lunar Buggie.

-Haha. It's good to see you.

-As well as you.

Director Meurral interrupts them.

-You two boys can chat afterwards. Anyways Sidrod, this is the program's new lead scientist, Kurt. Bobbald knows this.. he has been in the program since you left. Kurt will tell you your assignment and all that.. If you will excuse me, I have to leave.

He rushes out.

-Welcome back to the program, Sidrod. Let's discuss the mission.. Bobbald, can you reach over and pull down that screen?

He pulls it down. Kurt turns on a projector and places a picture on it. The picture shows a traditional 3-man lander.

-Oh good.. we aren't flying anything strange.

-So it's just designed to have a small cargo space, am I right?

-Yes.. you will get to see it later during training.

-So why are we doing this mission,exactly?

-A few months after you quit, we serviced a Lunar Rover, entitled C.U.R.V. Recently one of its six RCS ports failed during a maneuver and it dug its front end into the ground. The reason there isn't a third crew member is because you need the extra space for spare parts.

Kurt's voice fades out as he continues to talk.

An hour later..

-Bobbald, you will be going through 6 months of training and 2 months of mechanical training. You will be fixing the rover. Sidrod, you will take the whole 8 months of normal training since you haven't been here for a while.

-Sounds alright to me..

-Me too.

-Okay then, you two have a good day and meet back here in a week to start your training.

Bobbald and Sidrod walk out of the building.

-Sid.. would you like to go grab a drink or something?

-I'd rather not so early in the morning. Lets go grab something to eat.

The two head downtown and eat some breakfast. Afterwards, as they are walking out, a kid walks over to Bobbald with a wide grin on his face.

-You're Bobbald Kerman! You commanded the Mun Base!

-Haha, that's right.

-Can I get your autograph?

-Oh.. sure.

The kid hands him a notepad. Bobbald signs the paper as Sidrod just watches over them.

-One day, I'm going to be an astronaut just like you! I'm gonna-

The kid's mother comes over.

-Burtley, what did I tell you about talking to strangers?

-It's not a stranger, its Bobbald Kerman, the astronaut.. in person!

The mother drags him off. Sidrod looks at Bobbald.

-Jeez.. I was there too.

-Don't give your hopes up. You wouldn't want the publicity.. the media watching your every movement.. Anyways, it was nice seeing you. Lets hope for a nice mission. Goodbye!

-Goodbye.

The two part their ways. Sidrod is forming a jealousy against Bobbald..

(Lack of pictures. The next chapter starts the mission. PICTURES, YEAAAAAH. Next chapter coming tommorrow.)

Edited by NuclearWarfare

Chapter 3- Lift off!

Launch Pad, KSP Center

8 months has passed since Bobbald and Sidrod's briefing. Their training has paid off as they wait on the launch pad in the Journey 1 rocket for lift off... to the moon and back.

-All systems nominal.. awaiting launch.

-Thats a roger, Journey. T-60

-So Sidrod.. ready to go to the mun?

-More than eve-

-T-30

The two wait in silence..

-T-10,9,8,7,6, ignition

The ship vibrates from the force.

-5,4,3,2,1, Liftoff! of Journey 1, heading to the mun for the first time in 4 years.

The ship launches from the pad.

qhuIAi1.jpg

The crew stays silent to maintain focus during their ascent.

-Seperation of solids confirmed.

-Roger that.

RxzaZJ3.png

-This is Journey, seperation of stage 1 confirmed. All systems nominal.

-Roger.

bMygYO4.png

-Starting our.. horizontal burn.

-Report when in a stable orbit.

ysNEfJ1.png

-We've made it to a low and stable orbit.

-Roger that. Transfer window opening in a while.. we will report back when it is time.

Sidrod looks over to Bobbald.

-So.. how's the wife?

-Good..good.

Bobbald smiles.

-I'm going to be a dad to a little astronaut soon.

-Congrats!

-Thanks.

Sidrod thinks about his popularity to the media and realizes how bad it must be for his family to be hunted down by the media.. especially with his new son coming soon. He realizes that his jealousy is unneeded and is glad that he can finally put that behind him.

-So Sid, when are you planning on popping your girlfriend the big "Q"?

Sidrod smiles.

-Funny you should ask..

He looks in a compartment where a ring box is strapped safe. He pulls it out.

-Kate is at mission control right now. When we are on the mun and with the cameras set up, I'm going to get on one knee.. I mean, if that is even possible in a space suit. I'll probably just stand.

The two chuckle.

This is mission control. Your transfer window is open.

The two look at each other. Their mission has just begun.

Thank you, Musicpenguin. Holo, you may be confusing the lunar buggie with the lunar rover.

This is the Trek-Co Lunar Buggie (manned) from the first mun base, which "Sidrod" (Me.) crashed.

sTLzmzl.png

This is the C.U.R.V. (Compact Urgent Response Vehicle) which crashed in the story.

lZdyAoZ.png

Chapter 4- A dangerous Landing.

Journey I, LKO

-This is Journey I. Starting our transfer burn..

-That's a roger. Make sure you-

-Relax, I've got this.

The ship burns until they complete their transfer.

lWgvOE4.png

-This is Journey I. We've completed our transfer.

There is no response.

-I repeat, this is Journey I. The transfer is complete.

Still, there is no response. Bobbald tries to contact them several times. Sidrod looks at Bobbald, who is now angry.

-Well, now what?

-We are already on course. I'm not turning back.

-Bobbald! Are you crazy?

-I might as well be. Damn communications.. I can do without mission control. I don't need them.

Sidrod quiets down. Bobbald's arrogance is getting the best of him, or so he thinks.

A few hours pass. Static is heard on the line.

-This i....mis.....ol...s...update?

Bobbald shuts off the radio.

-What are you doing?

-I told you. I don't need them..

-Yes you do! Have you gone insane? This isn't the Bobbald I know!

Bobbald looks at him with eyes of exhaustion.

-Oh yeah? And who am I now?

-A disobedient moron.

Bobbald grabs one of the screwdrivers brought along for repairing the rover. He swings it near Sidrod's throat. Sidrod grabs his arm, yet Bobbald pulls his arm back and forward again, piercing a hole in Sidrod's throat. Sidrod looks at him, terrified.

-W..why?..

Sidrod dies aboard the craft. Bobbald wraps a rag around Sidrod's throat to stop the blood from flying around the craft, and goes back to work like nothing happened.

-I didn't need him anyways...

Meanwhile at mission control:

-Director Meurral, they turned off communications.

-What?

-You tell me, I don't know why they did.

-Damn it. Damn it all to hell.. Those two morons. When they return, they aren't getting a warm welcome.

-If they return.

-What do you mean, if? 'If' they are sane, they'll be back..

. . .

Back to the Journey I

-A dark landing? This will be fun. Never had this much of a challenge, huh, Sidrod?

Bobbald mimics Sidrod's voice.

-Suuure haven't, buddy!

Bobbald starts his descent over the terrain. Slowly but surely, he lands the craft in pure darkness. Kerbin shines full and bright in the night sky.

MT7ZlIQ.png

Bobbald gets out and with a powered EVA, he makes it to the rover. He seems to be talking to himself.

-Crap. I have to carry all that here.. Might as well dig this piece of **** rover up before that.

Bobbald goes back to the Journey I and comes back with a shovel. He stabs it into the ground.

-"Don't stand on the end!" they said. It's the quickest way, anyhow.

He stands on the end of the shovel, stepping off and pulling up the lunar material.

-No big deal..

He does it again. Slipping off the end, it stabs into his suit. All the air escapes from the suit, killing him instantly. His corpse falls down onto the lunar landscape. On the reflection of his visor, you see Kerbin, full and bright.

Edited by NuclearWarfare

Epilogue

1 week later

A memorial service is held outside the center. Everyone is dressed in black. Recognizable out of the bunch are Director Meurral, Lead Scientist Kurt, Bobbald's pregnant wife, Kate, and Sidrod's girlfriend, Mary.

-May it be unknown of their whereabouts, they shall be missed, always.

Tears are shed from many in the crowd.

It is known by the director of the proposal planned. Meurral does not mention it, as it would probably make Mary feel worse.

-And for memory of Bobbald and Sidrod Kerman, we have arranged two plaques to be launched into space onboard an unmanned mission. Though not being the worst disaster in our history, it is the strangest.

How did Bobbald go insane? We may never know. The moral of the story? Do not make assumptions so quick. The good can turn bad quickly...

I feel like I just wrote the concept for a "The Twilight Zone" episode.

Also, the moral of the story also refers to the title. The Lunar Incident wasn't about the rover. It was about Bobbald going insane.

Edited by NuclearWarfare

How did Bobbald go insane? We may never know. The moral of the story? Do not make assumptions so quick. The good can turn bad quickly...

Yep. It checks out.

Also, Sidrod fell unconcious, but not dead, and now he's trying desperately to jury-rig the communications to work before he runs out of oxygen. Bobbald's suit was sealed by blood since the shovel cut him, and his close brush with death cured his insanity. Dibs on that idea too.

Edited by Holo

Even if Sidrod fell unconscious, he would have died when Bobbald opened the air lock. The shovel cut Bobbald's suit, not himself.

If the two kerbals died, then I will be sad.

I do not want to be sad.

Therfore, the two kerbonauts did not die.

Don't ruin my dreams ;.;

There will be a next AAR, based around a larger crew (including the kid from earlier named Burtley). They aren't planned to die.

Uh... um...

the mechjeb in the command pod detected Bobbald's pulse dropping, and closed the doors! This repressurised the cabin, keeping Sidrod alive! Sidrod then EVA'd and rescued Bobbald! Then they flew back and there were fun campfire songs for all!

On a serious note, can't wait for the next AAR! Would you mind if I made a reference to it somewhere in my moho aar?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.