TAC Fuel Balancer-DISCONTINUED

TaranisElsu

• 3 weeks later...

KSP 1.0 compatibility

Coming soon! Give me a couple hours after I get off work tomorrow to get everything updated and uploaded. I promise that an update will be available as quick as I can.

Hi Thx for updating this must to have mod. What do you think about a CKAN integration?

regards

Hi Thx for updating this must to have mod. What do you think about a CKAN integration?

regards

Its already on CKAN. The version on CKAN says its only compatible with KSP 0.25 though, so if you have 1.0 installed, CKAN wont show it to you.

Does TAC fuel balancer really eat fuel in the proccess of balancing tanks? I saw someone say that in another thread.

Edit: Post that I'm referring to: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67163-0-23-5-Goodspeed-Automatic-Fuel-Pump-v2-14-1?p=1880142&viewfull=1#post1880142

No, it does not. I was very careful to make sure that does not happen. If you, or anyone else, sees it do that then please report it to me immediately (with a log file and a description of what you were doing).

Edited by TaranisElsu

No, it does not. I was very careful to make sure that does not happen. If you, or anyone else, sees it do that then please report it to me immediately (with a log file and a description of what you were doing).

Full disclosure - I retested with the current version. It doesn't happen anymore on a test rig on the launchpad. I don't know if I somehow picked up a buggy version for 0.9 or what, but it was a thing for me ... good to see it's not a thing as-is.

Thank you for this mod. It really helps with space planes and all types of fuel management. I would like to add though, this mod causes texture errors on the surface of different planets. It has been doing this for a while. I am not sure why it is doing it but it certainly is this mod. It goes away immediately as soon as I remove this mod. It causes the texture of the ground to become stretched out for some reason.

In the past I have seen fuel destroyed when GoodspeedFuelPump was pumping while TAC was pumping into conflicting tanks. I wasn't really surprised at that considering they both pump fuel, so I just take care to avoid a bad interaction in that case. Someone took it over, I think it's called GPOSpeedFuelPump now. I'll report back if I find it again, as I haven't played a lot since .25. Obviously, it might not even be TAC's problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First off, thank you!--Fuel Balancer has been on my list of "must-have" mods for over a year now.

Two ideas:

--Have you considered displaying the tanks in a Tree List, in the same way that the craft file is structured? Being able to control entire branches would be amazing.

Just checked your code. Looks like the resources are handled as a regular list. I'm a pretty crappy programmer, but as I recall, recursing through a binary tree isn't that much more difficult?

--Controlling heat balance as well as fuel. Greatly simplified, you're pushing heat quanta around. My calculus was 20 years ago, but I think this is just a Mixing Problem. If we just take the case of "Balance All", The algorithm would attempt to get all make all the tanks the same temperature by cycling fuel through them. Or maybe it's just a side effect of the regular pumping operations, and it's up to the user to tune it. Pumping rate would have an effect on this of course, and it should cost electricity.

OK, if I understand your code correctly, you're just balancing to the next nearest resource in the list until they all hit equilibrium (Which is definitely elegant and good enough for fuel). If we apply this to heat moving with the fuel, am I correct in assuming that a side effect of this might be that the left side of the ship could end up significantly hotter than the right? Or do I misunderstand the process entirely?

Thanks, and thanks again for this mod. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.