TAC Fuel Balancer-DISCONTINUED

TaranisElsu

Love the mod, but I have a couple suggestions. It would be nice if either mousing-over or clicking the name of a tank would highlight it. It's a bit clunky to go into the drop down menu beside each tank to click highlight to see which one it is. Actually it would be even nicer if a few common commands (in, out, stop) were buttons next to the tank name and not in the drop down list. I haven't read the whole thread so if you've already talked about this I apologize.

When I click mod button all I got is empty grey window in the middle of the screen. Without any buttons, or list, or anything :( I just extracted rar into KSP folder, I'm using 0.20 - this might be the reason?

When I click mod button all I got is empty grey window in the middle of the screen. Without any buttons, or list, or anything :( I just extracted rar into KSP folder, I'm using 0.20 - this might be the reason?

No, that's what you're supposed to do. Or to be more precise, the zip file (I see no rar file anywhere) contains a gamedata folder. Drop that into your KSP folder. If you are asked if you want to merge folder or if you are asked if you want to overwrite any files or folders then the answer is YES. Otherwise important files/folders will be skipped.

Here is a request. I was building an asymmetric launch vehicle today and was trying to use this mod to keep fuel tanks above the engines balanced fuel wise (great in theory, it is the purpose of the mod) but I ran into the problem of rebalancing on the fly. Could you add the option to balance fuel levels in a stage, ie so that all engines are burning from an equal fuel stock. Example, you have a FL-800 tank with a mainsail underneath it You also have 4 rockomax 32s strapped the outside of it each with a mainsail underneath it. You want them to all burn out at the same time. Doable enough just balance the tanks and take off. the 5 mainsails burn and shutoff exactly at the same time, bravo. You have a stage above it that is precisely identical to this one. This time however you don't have the luxury of sitting on the pad clicking balance for all the tanks. Maybe a "balance fuel for stage" button where the plugin tries to keep fuel levels the same in each stage. Thanks for the consideration.

What are you transferring that you need x100? :P

While waiting for an update, you can change the max fuel flow rate in the settings. Hopefully that helps for now.

Kethane, takes a long time to transfer if it's over 100000 units. Imagine transfer that in 10x.

Changing the max fuel rate seems to work, thanks.

Here is a request. I was building an asymmetric launch vehicle today and was trying to use this mod to keep fuel tanks above the engines balanced fuel wise (great in theory, it is the purpose of the mod) but I ran into the problem of rebalancing on the fly. Could you add the option to balance fuel levels in a stage, ie so that all engines are burning from an equal fuel stock. Example, you have a FL-800 tank with a mainsail underneath it You also have 4 rockomax 32s strapped the outside of it each with a mainsail underneath it. You want them to all burn out at the same time. Doable enough just balance the tanks and take off. the 5 mainsails burn and shutoff exactly at the same time, bravo. You have a stage above it that is precisely identical to this one. This time however you don't have the luxury of sitting on the pad clicking balance for all the tanks. Maybe a "balance fuel for stage" button where the plugin tries to keep fuel levels the same in each stage. Thanks for the consideration.

Yeah this would be very helpful. A balance per stage option, plus a more streamlined UI would make this mod incredible.

This mod has singlehandedly saved the Journey Space Program. I have a Ke converter with a 1.0 unit buffer tank of each resource and this mod allows me not to have to do each transfer individually. ;_; *internet hug*

I have a feature request for you:

Would it be possible to have an alternative UI for this based on right-clicking on the actual tanks on your vessel?

I know that you already use the flow lock on the tank to represent any tanks that you lock in TAC, and I was wondering if you could also have UI lines on the menus for the parts for IN and OUT for each resource type in the tank (or even just for every resource on it at once).

I assume that you'd need a module attached to the tank for this to work, but I see in your TAC Life Support thread that you're using a dynamic module installer to add such things on the fly to any parts that need them :)

Personally, I use this mod a LOT at fuel depots, and it would be far simpler to click on the big stock tank that is currently being drained and click "OUT" whenever a ship docks, locking them once they're empty, than to open the GUI, identify which of the many tanks it is, and do it from there.

The other potential benefit would be that if there was a module, it should be possible for each tank to save its state into the persistence file, meaning that if you did have stock-tanks with "out" set, then as soon as you docked, your vessel would start to refuel automatically.

(Awesome mod, by the way, I'd be totally lost without it)

Would it be possible to have an alternative UI for this based on right-clicking on the actual tanks on your vessel?

I know that you already use the flow lock on the tank to represent any tanks that you lock in TAC, and I was wondering if you could also have UI lines on the menus for the parts for IN and OUT for each resource type in the tank (or even just for every resource on it at once).

I assume that you'd need a module attached to the tank for this to work, but I see in your TAC Life Support thread that you're using a dynamic module installer to add such things on the fly to any parts that need them :)

Personally, I use this mod a LOT at fuel depots, and it would be far simpler to click on the big stock tank that is currently being drained and click "OUT" whenever a ship docks, locking them once they're empty, than to open the GUI, identify which of the many tanks it is, and do it from there.

The other potential benefit would be that if there was a module, it should be possible for each tank to save its state into the persistence file, meaning that if you did have stock-tanks with "out" set, then as soon as you docked, your vessel would start to refuel automatically.

Really awesome idea, would definitely like to see that in the future.

When I try to resize the TAC screen fills my entire screen and can't be sized back again.

I had this same issue. When I checked the cfg file, the width setting was maxed out at 65225 or something like that, the height was even larger at over 70000.

I tried to recreate the issue. This time, when the window resized, this is what was in the cfg after closing KSP:

TACFuelBalancer

{

visible = True

x = 262

y = 124

width = 23423

height = 17966

Also, the icon has been moving around my screen when I click it. It's now in the lower right-hand corner.

I'm using 0.21.1 on Ubuntu Linux. The only other mods I have installed are Docking Port Alignment Indicator and RCS Build Aid v0.3.1.

When I try to resize the TAC screen fills my entire screen and can't be sized back again.
I had this same issue. When I checked the cfg file, the width setting was maxed out at 65225 or something like that, the height was even larger at over 70000.

I tried to recreate the issue. This time, when the window resized, this is what was in the cfg after closing KSP:

Also, the icon has been moving around my screen when I click it. It's now in the lower right-hand corner.

I'm using 0.21.1 on Ubuntu Linux. The only other mods I have installed are Docking Port Alignment Indicator and RCS Build Aid v0.3.1.

If anyone is having this issue and is NOT on Linux, please let me know.

It seems to be a problem with Unity and mouse handling on Linux. I am trying (unsuccessfully) to set up a Linux test box. Until then, I have no way to debug the issue. I also do not know of any workarounds -- does any else know of something that I can try? My source code is available on Github (link in the OP).

The problem with balancing per stage is reliably determining which stage each tank is in. There is a field for stage number on each part, but I have found that it is not always what I expect. And sometimes, because of fuel lines, you may be drawing fuel from multiple "stages".

For an example of the problem: open the Kerbal-X. Notice that the LV-T45 engines are all in stage 8, but the fuel tanks above them are in stage 9. Also, notice that all of the FL-T400 tanks are in stage 9 even though the Kerbal-X uses asparagus staging and the tanks will be dropped at different times.

I have been thinking about doing that. The only issue is adding that many options to the right click menu. I am afraid that on some tanks, the right click menu will be miles long... Assuming I have options for Balance, In, Out, Dump, Stop (only shown if appropriate) for each resource type in a tank. I had not thought about it making it easier to save the state, thanks for that tip.

Can we have an auto fuel balancer that will always adjust fuel distribution so that the CoM will be at a relative fixed position to the CoL. Thus the stability of aircrafts can be maintained during flight.

EDIT:

oops, i didn't update the thread and now i find out that i've just stated what TMS mentioned. :P

You can do pretty much that with the PWB fuel balancer which allows you to set a location for the CoM, and then it will move fuel between tanks to keep the CoM in that location. It can also display the CoM marker in flight

Hope I'm not loading you down by adding yet another feature request, but I'd like to see a way to balance fuel by using numerical inputs if at all feasible. For instance, in addition to the "In," "Out," and "Balance" toggles, you could type in something like "50 liters" or "25% full", and the Fuel Balancer would do its best to maintain the fuel in that tank at that level.

That said, as it stands, I've found this mod to be incredibly handy for making fuel transfers quick and convenient already.

Would it be possible to get things like "In", "Out", and "Balance" triggerable via custom actions for fuel and monopropellant tanks? That way I could set RCS tanks on my launch stage to "Out" which would keep all the upper stage RCS tanks full and I wouldn't have to re-balance in orbit, or hunt around highlighting until I find one of the tanks I'm trying to transfer out of.

You could just set your uppermost RCS tanks to "In" while still on the launchpad. That should do exactly what you described.

The trouble here is that my use of Procedural Fairings (needed because of F.A.R.) means I now have monopropellant tanks hidden behind ProcFairing's fuselage parts. You can still right-click on them, but you have to guess at the location because you can't see them directly behind the fuselage walls. Being able set to tanks to "In" via a custom action (I always have a pre-flight action set up for disabling certain engine gimbals, etc...) would help tremendously.

The trouble here is that my use of Procedural Fairings (needed because of F.A.R.) means I now have monopropellant tanks hidden behind ProcFairing's fuselage parts. You can still right-click on them, but you have to guess at the location because you can't see them directly behind the fuselage walls. Being able set to tanks to "In" via a custom action (I always have a pre-flight action set up for disabling certain engine gimbals, etc...) would help tremendously.

FuelBalancer does not require you to right-click the tank, you set it all up in the GUI - icon should be right to your altimeter.

FuelBalancer does not require you to right-click the tank, you set it all up in the GUI - icon should be right to your altimeter.

Right, but if I have multiple fuselage sections in multiple stages, how do I k now which tank is selected? I can't see them, so highlighting is no good. This is why I would love to see TAC added to the action group functions of tanks (monopropellant and IonCross oxygen tanks being the most frequently hidden in this type of situation).

Right, but if I have multiple fuselage sections in multiple stages, how do I k now which tank is selected? I can't see them, so highlighting is no good. This is why I would love to see TAC added to the action group functions of tanks (monopropellant and IonCross oxygen tanks being the most frequently hidden in this type of situation).

Or like I said simply include a check box beside each tank in the interface that we can check and then do a transfer into selected, or out of selected etc etc, because with multiple tanks like upwards 100 on a depot going through and selecting lock on each one is a pain in the ass. Don't get me wrong I love this mod and recommend it, I was just curious about an enhancement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.