[1.0.2] TAC Self Destruct v1.5.1 [13May]

TaranisElsu

Changes

• Updated for KSP 1.0.2
  • Updated MiniAVC to v1.0.3.0

- - - Updated - - -

Treble post since I seem to be talking to myself.

Sorry, it's taken me a lot longer to update all my mods than I had hoped.

I dare say that Kerbals perfected the art of making things explode very early in their existence, it should be open at tier 0!

But these are planned explosions, on-demand! That is a bit harder than just making things explode whenever. I might move it up in the tree a little, but I think tier 0 is too early. You are welcome to change it for your personal use though.

I went ahead and updated the part cfg for this mod to work with the new KIS system. ... Did you want a copy of this cfg or no?

Go ahead and send it to me (in a PM or pull request on Github) and I will take a look at it. I have not played with KIS at all yet.

Changes

• Updated for KSP 1.0.2
  • Updated MiniAVC to v1.0.3.0

This is, by far, the single best mod in all of KSP, and is only edged out in absolute necessity by ModuleManager. Nothing else even comes close. Thanks for the update.

• 3 weeks later...
This is, by far, the single best mod in all of KSP, and is only edged out in absolute necessity by ModuleManager. Nothing else even comes close. Thanks for the update.

Thank you. I'm not sure that I agree about the importance, but it was fun to make and especially fun to test :cool:. Personally, my "cannot live without" mods are Kerbal Engineer, my TAC Life Support, and recently, Analog Control (for flying planes).

Is there a way to make the self-destruct only destroy the part it's attached to?

No, sorry, there is not. You can either explode the part itself, or the entire vessel. Someone mentioned that Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) might have something that does that.

Would be good to have the ability to permanently disable the explosives, like it is done on all the manned missions.

You could disable staging in the VAB/SPH. Then it will only activate by right clicking the part, and you can set the delay high enough to give you time to change your mind and cancel.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way you can make it so that damage is caused to nearby craft if they are too close. As it is right now, the self-destructing craft is apparently just being deleted from the game, and while the explosions look very explody, they don't really cause any damage. I love the idea of having to reach a "minimum safe distance".

Also, I had this mod installed with CKAN, but now it's not on the CKAN list. What up with that?

• 3 weeks later...
Is there any way you can make it so that damage is caused to nearby craft if they are too close. As it is right now, the self-destructing craft is apparently just being deleted from the game, and while the explosions look very explody, they don't really cause any damage. I love the idea of having to reach a "minimum safe distance".

Oh please, NO! The non-area-of-effect explosions of TAC Self-Destruct are one of its most useful features. It enables you to get rid of now-useless lander legs and wheels and such from base modules, without worrying about damaging the base. Remember, the entire purpose of this mod is just a cool way to get rid of debris. It's not intended as a weapon.

Now, if you WANT collateral damage, you should use the explosives in KIS. They do have quite a blast radius :).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Is there a way to make the self-destruct only destroy the part it's attached to?

Just a thought... if you have Tweakscale installed you could shrink a radial decoupler, attach that to the ship and then attach the Self Destruct to that. Then when you no longer need it, kick it off the ship.

Back to the mod itself... has anyone had a bug where parts dont appear parts list (ie it's totally empty) in the VAB after you revert back there from a launch. There is a way to fix it temporarily... just go back to the space centre and then return to the VAB and the parts are there again. Self Destruct is having probs with another mod it seems... Just don't know which (as I have a bunch installed). It only started happening right after I installed TAC-SD.

• 4 weeks later...

I've modified the plugin so it can do that (https://github.com/DrSpaceMonkey/TacSelfDestruct/releases/tag/v1.5.1.a).

It adds a new function called "detonate parent", which does exactly what the name suggests - blows up the part you bolted it onto. This can be done via action group or the right-click menu. Effectively, this makes any part a decoupler. I mostly use it for making escape modules on airplanes. Slap it on whatever part is attached directly behind the cockpit, bind "detonate parent" to Abort, throw on a parachute or two for good measure, and presto.

The staging action can also be toggled between full ship self-destruct and parent detonation.

Now, I can hear you asking "did you make this because you're just terrible at designing planes and needed an easy way to make an ejector seat?" You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Yeah, fair winds and following seas.  So long and thanks for all the mods.

I hear @Dman979 is taking this over.  Glad to hear that.  I say again, this is the best mod ever in KSP.

Hi! Yes, I am taking this over. All original credit to @TaranisElsu, of course. There might be some minor changes to the code, one suggestion was to replace TE's workaround to remove the part from staging with Squad's module. I'll take a look into that.

Obviously, all the core features of TAC-SD will remain in place.

I have not made a separate thread for the continuation yet, but I will let everyone know when I do.

Finally, I'm looking for a tester to help me. @Geschosskopf? No more testers needed

Edited by Dman979

27 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Finally, I'm looking for a tester to help me. @Geschosskopf?

Certainly.  There's nothing better than blowing stuff up, except blowing stuff up for a worthy cause :wink:  You know where to find me.

Edited by Geschosskopf

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was just playing with KIS Bombs, and thinking about how nice it would be if this fine mod were up to date, when lo and behold @Dman979 steps forth.

1.1.3 should be on us SoonTM, so might want to wait on that.

I would indeed vote on removing the part from staging; although a simple "staging = false" should work, no? Been a while since I used it, and last time I did, I staged it with my main engines. Lots of fireworks!

12 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

I was just playing with KIS Bombs, and thinking about how nice it would be if this fine mod were up to date, when lo and behold @Dman979 steps forth.

1.1.3 should be on us SoonTM, so might want to wait on that.

I would indeed vote on removing the part from staging; although a simple "staging = false" should work, no? Been a while since I used it, and last time I did, I staged it with my main engines. Lots of fireworks!

Well, I'll be honest, there are two things delaying a stable release for the latest version of KSP.

The first is that the 1.1.3 release will be coming out soon, and it makes sense to me to wait a little bit more to ensure that it's compatable.

The second is my utter lack of programming knowledge. :) This is my first coding project, so I do have help from @CliftonM, but it will probably be a bit before it's up to date.

I guess I should let you guys know the results of @Geschosskopf's testing:

It's crazilly broken. The only thing that seems to be working is the part model itself, which he described as a "benign tumor" for the rockets. I have my work cut out for me!

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

Well, I'll be honest, there are two things delaying a stable release for the latest version of KSP.

The first is that the 1.1.3 release will be coming out soon, and it makes sense to me to wait a little bit more to ensure that it's compatable.

The second is my utter lack of programming knowledge. :) This is my first coding project, so I do have help from @CliftonM, but it will probably be a bit before it's up to date.

I guess I should let you guys know the results of @Geschosskopf's testing:

It's crazilly broken. The only thing that seems to be working is the part model itself, which he described as a "benign tumor" for the rockets. I have my work cut out for me!

Yeah.  So far, I have only really managed to get it to work without the countdown...and even that is buggy...

Just now, Deimos Rast said:

bummer, was hoping it'd be a matter of just pointing it at the new assemblies and firing it up.:(

Well, it uses a lot of the classes that were revamped with 1.1.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.