Kerbin Circumnavigation Challenge - Reloaded [New Rules Once More]

Sorry for the inactivity for the past months. College happened :P still going actually, just got time to go back playing and reviewing all entries here. Just finished reviewing all entries starting from the very last entry I've reviewed before I went inactive for a while.

22 made it! :cool: good job guys.

This was a successful attempt to get around Kerbin using a relatively small craft with one jet. The 'Lazy Rabbit' uses capsule torque and thrust vectoring for control, so there are no active or inactive control surfaces on it. It flies quite nicely, with good response and predictable handling. Circumnavigation took a while, but it was a short jaunt compared to most any orbital flight plan. Here's the gallery, hopefully I've finally figure out how to use the correct bb code tags.

-snip-

Here is the flight of the "Endurance"

Stock.

I have no idea why the flight results "Distance covered" in the second last image are incorrect. Has this happened to anyone else?

I did the whole thing in one continuous session, I did not switch away to another craft or quickload. I flew due East all the way straight along the equator, no time warp, very unimaginative. Look at the last image I can still revert the flight!

Thanks, Kaa

I finally finished! After almost 2 hours! I present to you' date=' the circumnavigatir [img']http://i.imgur.com/004s4RP.png

i ran out of fuel past the mountains and turned around to land behind the KSC in the opposite direction i left in!

-snip-

After so long, i am truly amazed at my dedication and lack of social life.

plugins: crew manifest; final frontier(ribbons for kerbals)

all stock, no timewarp, no hacks, etc.

-snip-

I had a few almost flatspins, but i didn't get screenies of those because i was too busy fighting the controls.

Hardly had to make any correction at all because the craft was so stable... the only major adjustment that could've failed was piping fuel forwards, but it wasn't a big problem.

... do I get to use that shiny badge now? :sticktongue:

EDIT:

On second thought, I might modify the plane and go for a double lap because I had quite a fuel clearance with horrid efficiency the first 1/3rd of the lap....

EDIT TWO:

I apologize Kaa253, I didn't realize I took your plane's name :wink:

If you want me to change it I will.

I made it!!. I took off begging for fuel to be enough but managed to make 3 laps around kerbin at the end.

-snip-

Screw it up once by flying over 25km and took me until 4 am but it was fun.

I did this too, but the flight results are interesting... maybe because i had to alt tab a few times, because i forgot how to make a screenshot :)

-snip-

extra pic:

-snip-

Official entry. Again, all stock with only EVE/Better Atmospheres.

-snip-

This time Bill decided to put his phone in airplane mode and pay attention. ;)

Ok, here's my submission. Officially it is only my second KSP challenge. Made it home with 5 or 6 units of fuel left because Jeb likes to go really fast or something. Luckily, the plane glides well so I saved some fuel that way. Took out all my plugins except Alarm Clock since I saw that one was allowed. Almost managed to exceed max altitude while having snacks, but caught it just in time.

-snip-

Finally got around to tackling this challenge. The Albatross did it in its second iteration (which was surprising, considering I usually suck at designing planes) and may not be that advanced, but it landed with over 300 units of fuel left!

-snip-

Two turbojets were total overkill as far as thrust goes. I cruised at about 22 km with less than 40% throttle comfortably :P

Well, This is my successful attempt:

Total Mission Time: 0h, 46 min, 55s.

Highest Altitude Acheived: 24,693m

Highest Speed Over Land: 1,782m/s

Total Distance Traveled: 59,422m

-snip-

I can provide more pics/craft file if anyone wants.

Got mine done

Picture at Takeoff

-snip-

And a perfect landing

-snip-

Here is my entry. I landed on the runway, but it didn't want to stay there. Nothing broken, but a hairy landing it was.

-snip-

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Kerbals of all ages.. I present my entry for the challenge. I call it the Winged Aircraft of Non-Groundness or WANG for short :P

http://i.imgur.com/KrGhWpC.png - Results

http://i.imgur.com/4LeAAaZ.png - About to land

http://i.imgur.com/WNLBId1.png - Jornie Kerman standing proud and slightly concerned that the craft is rolling forwards

I claim my place on the roll of honour!

Bob made it around Kerbin. And he got it on tape :

-snip-

(no mod, second design -- first one was short on fuel, added one tank). I used both in-game (x4) and video editor (x20) fast-forward to make the video under 3 minutes. I had to throttle down to conserve fuel and made an unpowered landing with not even a fuel unit left.

did it with enough fuel for a double circumnavigation, but im too lazy :)

took me 11 planes and over 20 flights to do this!

was lots of fun :)

-snip-

I figured I'd pull the rockets off one of my spaceplanes and give it a go.

Here's my entry:

-snip-

I was doing something for the Kadvent calendar and remembered this thread, so I rebuilt my plane to be all stock and no MechJeb (for flying anyway, I used it for about 5 seconds in the hangar to show off the specs) and flew it around the globe. One needs to be seriously bored to do this by the way (which I most thoroughly am on a sidenote).

Anyway, here goes the KCP-MK1 around the globe on jet fuel only:

snip-

Circumnavigated west to east in this fish-like jet. All stock, no pluggins used. Thank goodness for time warp.

-snip-

Had to revert like 3 times from blowing the cieling cap haha

Nice entries guys! Welcome to the club :D keep it up!

This is my entry: A quadruple west / east circumnavigation (4 times, new record), landing on the runway with my ship "Lance 5", basically a large tube of liquid fuel with wings, with a cluster of 3 turbo jets set to action groups.

-snip-

oh wow. awesome! never knew someone can actually do that :D

dammit, did a whole circumnavigation eastwards, screenied the whole thing, and recovered the craft at the end without getting that vital F3 shot...

EDIT: Then again, neither did the previous guy. NVM, Here is Circus 1:

(For the record, my altitude peaked at 23451m)

-snip-

Impressive! Unfortunately the F3 shot is required, so yea :(

Thank you for quoting the rules from the front page that I directly referenced in my post. I was hoping for an additional exception to be made for TAC Fuel Balancer as well as the other two you have listed. A "No" would have sufficed.

-- EDIT --

Anyway, here's my entry. I have TAC Fuel Balancer installed but I didn't use it. I hope the screen shots provided are proof enough. If not . . . I've got nothing but time and I'll uninstall and do it again.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Styles2304

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for quoting the rules from the front page that I directly referenced in my post. I was hoping for an additional exception to be made for TAC Fuel Balancer as well as the other two you have listed. A "No" would have sufficed.

-- EDIT --

Anyway, here's my entry. I have TAC Fuel Balancer installed but I didn't use it. I hope the screen shots provided are proof enough. If not . . . I've got nothing but time and I'll uninstall and do it again.

-snip-

Hi,

this is my take on the challenge.

-snip-

I had a lot of fun putting this together. If there's anything else needed, I'll be happy to comply :)

What are those green/red circles on the left hand side of the navball? Is that a Plugin, or am I missing something on stock KSP?

Here is my Folker Tri-plane entry. I have KER installed, but thought that was allowed when I first read about this challenge. I will go back and repeat this challenge without it if that is required.

-snip-

I'm sorry, but

-Any kinds of plugins (no matter what the use is) are NOT allowed.

What are those green/red circles on the left hand side of the navball? Is that a Plugin, or am I missing something on stock KSP?

That's part of the stock SAS now, called the "Autopilot system" added in 0.90 for pilots/capable probe cores - see patch notes

Basically, you can tell your autopilot to hold direction, pro/retrograde, normal/antinormal, radial in/out, target/antitarget and manuever node, if your pilot/core is good enough. I only used the direction hold (basic SAS).

Am I allowed to have a little pod that drops off pre-launch so I can use the EAS-1 external seat to hold my pilot? I can find no other way to get the pilot in the seat.

I did see the restriction on drop off objects, which I take to refer to drop-off fuel pods which would definitely make things easier.

Edited by noghiri

Am I allowed to have a little pod that drops off pre-launch so I can use the EAS-1 external seat to hold my pilot? I can find no other way to get the pilot in the seat.

I did see the restriction on drop off objects, which I take to refer to drop-off fuel pods which would definitely make things easier.

The rules do say that nothing may be jettisoned or fall off, so I would say no.

As a workaround, you could launch just a pod EVA the kerbal walk off the runway then launch the plane and walk the kerbal up and board the plane.

Thanks for the challenge!

I made it on the thrid try.

Idea was a fuel units glider design that would achieve >1200m/s at less than 1/ throttle.

Stupid plane wanted to climb all the time because of high center of drag, so I had to fly without acceleration all the time...

oNQ0Bep.jpg

7Dxko7m.jpg

3wV6WjH.jpg

I guess this makes it to the list, right!?

A lazy submission on my part, I done this purely as an exercise to see if my cargo plane could perform such feats.

Turns out it can. It should qualify as there is no staging so even though I had to use some fuel from my payload I did not lose any other mass other than liquid fuel.

Tweety

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates! Kind of busy with other stuff, but anyway...

Thanks for the challenge!

I made it on the thrid try.

Idea was a fuel units glider design that would achieve >1200m/s at less than 1/ throttle.

Stupid plane wanted to climb all the time because of high center of drag, so I had to fly without acceleration all the time...

-snip-

I guess this makes it to the list, right!?

A lazy submission on my part, I done this purely as an exercise to see if my cargo plane could perform such feats.

Turns out it can. It should qualify as there is no staging so even though I had to use some fuel from my payload I did not lose any other mass other than liquid fuel.

-snip-

Tweety

Here's mine!

My numbers are funky because I quickloaded in the middle of the flight. It doesn't break the rules, but it broke the stats a bit.

-snip-

Awesome entries guys! Congratulations! :D

- - - Updated - - -

That's part of the stock SAS now, called the "Autopilot system" added in 0.90 for pilots/capable probe cores - see patch notes

Basically, you can tell your autopilot to hold direction, pro/retrograde, normal/antinormal, radial in/out, target/antitarget and manuever node, if your pilot/core is good enough. I only used the direction hold (basic SAS).

Ah I see! Got it now. Been a while since I've last played the game :D anyway entries accepted.

• 3 weeks later...

I built a pretty cool plane really quick for my Circumnavigation entry. It was a breeze to fly and alot of fun to watch, even though it was tedious to balance the thrust so the turbojets didn't flameout. Enjoy! It is called the HSS Beluga for it's fun shape and design!

EDIT: To start from launch to landing you have to go all the way to the end and go backwards, thanks IMGUR!

Edited by MrZayas1

• 1 month later...

Is circumnavigation in the current version (1.00+) viable for this? Some claim that the aerodynamics are now quite similar to the old FAR modelling (current FAR has voxel-based aerodynamics now, methinks) and FAR was categorically denied the trophy in this thread.

Edit:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/118390-Kerbin-Circumnavigation-1-0-2-Aviator-Challenge

Edited by RedJimi
added link to next thread

• 2 months later...
Is circumnavigation in the current version (1.00+) viable for this? Some claim that the aerodynamics are now quite similar to the old FAR modelling (current FAR has voxel-based aerodynamics now, methinks) and FAR was categorically denied the trophy in this thread.

It is quite possible, and just to show you how, I'll post one of my recent attempts. Also under an hour, so yeah.

Even stayed under 20,000 meters, so I think that this is enough proof.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.