[AnyOS] KSP Mod Admin v2 - Mod install with a few clicks

MacTee

KSP MA v1.4.0 PR5

New / Fixes:

• AutoUpdate functionality. There are 4 options to choose from:
    • RemoveAndAdd:Removes the outdated mod and installs the new one.
      Its possible that you have to select the destinations for the new (updated) mod manually.
    • CopyDestination: Try to find matching files and copy their destination and checked state.
    • CopyCheckedState: Try to find matching files and copy their checked state only.
      Its possible that you have to select the destinations for the new (updated) mod manually.
    • Manually: Updated mod will just be downloaded to the downloadsfolder. (No auto update!)

[*]Update ModInfo Button added to ModBrowser ToolBar -> Trys to find a Mod in the ModSelection with the same ProductID as parsed from the current shown WebSite.

[*]Second URL added to ModInfo (to save the e.g. Forum URL of a mod).

[*]ModSelection contextmenu option "Visit Forum" added -> Opens the ModBrowser with the URL from the ModInfo field "Forum URL".

[*]Internal KSP MA version handling changed to (x.x.x.x) -> now PR versions will recognize official releases with same version number (x.x.x).

[*]More message for the info box (bottom area of KSP MA window) added.

[*]Bug in part file parsing fixed. -> Thanks to Roger25000

[*]Notes will be copied on "ModInfo copy" too. -> Thanks to diomedea

[*]NasaMission folder will be ignored on GameData folder scan. -> Thanks to zapman987

[*]Some ToolTip and messages updated.

How To handle blue colored (outdated) mods:

To update the mod right click it and choose "Visit Spaceport site" to download the new version.

After the download of the mod one of the following update actions will be performed (depanding of your settings on the Options Tab).

• RemoveAndAdd -> Remove the outdated mod and install the new one.
  • CopyDestination -> Try to find matching files and copies their destination and checked state.
  • CopyCheckstate -> Trys to find matching files and copies their checked state only.
  • Manually -> Updated mod will just be downloaded to the downloadsfolder. (No auto update!)

Edited by MacTee

Hi

I'm having a problem where all the buttons are greyed out after I select the KSP folder. If I download and install mods, once I close the program and reopen it then no longer appear.

Any way to fix this? Images:

http://i.imgur.com/KokqJrE.png

http://i.imgur.com/otnWfWc.png

Basically I can't force to to scan the folder or get to remember anything its done. I've tried the latest public release and 1.4 releases.

Cheers

Hi

I'm having a problem where all the buttons are greyed out after I select the KSP folder. If I download and install mods, once I close the program and reopen it then no longer appear.

Any way to fix this? Images:

http://i.imgur.com/KokqJrE.png

http://i.imgur.com/otnWfWc.png

Basically I can't force to to scan the folder or get to remember anything its done. I've tried the latest public release and 1.4 releases.

Cheers

Please try to start KSP MA in AdminMode. Just right click KSPModAdmin.exe and select run in Admin Mode.

If that solves the problem you can start KSP MA always in AdminMode by rgiht click the KSPModAdmin.exe select Properties -> Compatibility and there check the Option "Run in Admin mode".

KSP MA needs read & write rights to the install folder of KSP to write its config file.

Edit: Changed Security to Compatibility.

Edited by MacTee

Please try to start KSP MA in AdminMode. Just right click KSPModAdmin.exe and select run in Admin Mode.

If that solves the problem you can start KSP MA always in AdminMode by rgiht click the KSPModAdmin.exe select Properties -> Security and there check the Option "Run in Admin mode".

KSP MA needs read & write rights to the install folder of KSP to write its config file.

Lovely that fixed it - I found it in the readme in the end - doh!

Can I ask, when you say "unhook" - what does that mean? If I want to disable a mod but leave it in the mod list how do I unhook?

Thanks by the way, this software looks great.

Lovely that fixed it - I found it in the readme in the end - doh!

Can I ask, when you say "unhook" - what does that mean? If I want to disable a mod but leave it in the mod list how do I unhook?

Thanks by the way, this software looks great.

With unhook i mean unchecking a mod node of the treeview.

Just remove the hook(s) of the mod (or part of a mod) you want to disable and press the "Selected mods" button to process the new mod settings. This will remove the unchecked (without a hook) mods/parts from the KSP installation (but keeps them in the mod list) and installs the checked (with hooks) mods/parts to the KSP Install dir (Gamedata folder of KSP).

Hey MacTee,

I am getting, while installing Mods, the Error Message

Error while reading Mod Zip-File ""Error message: Cannot determine compressed stream type

This seems to happen, when I am installing Mods with soundfiles...

Is this intended?

Hey MacTee,

I am getting, while installing Mods, the Error Message

Error while reading Mod Zip-File ""Error message: Cannot determine compressed stream type

This seems to happen, when I am installing Mods with soundfiles...

Is this intended?

No it seems to be a bug, which mod causes the porblems?

(Maybe a redownload of the mod archive helps.)

EDIT: I have updated my Chatterer without any problems.

Edited by MacTee

The newest version 1.4.0 PR5 seems to be working outstandingly for me (really good the new features about modinfo and the forum link :)), but for a few minor issues, some probably due to causes external to KSP MA itself.

First, a few of the mods already updated (manually) to the latest version, when checked, are displayed in blue instead of in green. Rechecked, confirm they are to the latest version. Believe some data from spaceport do not match with what KSP MA expects to find. Not really a problem in the end.

Second, I tried the auto-update feature (option: copy destination). Found the needed update on spaceport, downloaded (KSP MA asked where to download). But then I had to make the manual install procedure. Either KSP MA couldn't find matching files, or I did something wrong. Not really a problem, anyway, it already is a good step forward.

Third, I installed version PR5 over the previous PR4, in the hope it would inherit the settings. However, it did not find the paths to the install directory, mod folder and the like. So had to input those anew. Small annoyance, only worth to report in case it may mean something to the author (but, it may be due to the new version not be intended to be installed that way).

Fourth (just noted, but could always have been so). Using different install folders, (e.g. KSP ver 0.23 + KSP ver 0.23.5), KSP MA is able to record correctly the status of mods with each folder, and switch them from the options/paths menu. With each install folder, it is possible to give a "Backup path" and a "Download/Mod path". However, when switching, info about the "Download/Mod path" is retained only if the "Backup path" entry for the same install is not null. This may be intended behaviour, and easily I can enter any path for a backup and solve this. But believe, this too could be worth a note.

Hi diomedea,

KSP MA displayes mods as outdated (blue) when the AddDate is smaler than the creation date or when KSP MA detectes a greater creation date during a mod update check.

If this isn't true in your case please send me your kspmodadmin.cfg file from the KSP install dir.

May be the CopyDestination and/or the CopyCheckedState is buggy. Can you tell which mods refuses the auto update?

Normaly KSP MA should find older cfg files, but i'll chage the cfg file handling with one of the next versions to avoid such problems.

No that's not intended, i'll fix this with the next update.

Thanks for your feedback! =)

MacTee,

I just retried to install some:

First: I am doing a new installation, so no updates or so.

Now I had this not with all mods, but some... here a few examples:

Kerbal Joint Reinforcment

Kerbal Contruction Time

Chatterer

the SCANSat+Toolbar-Update

DMagic Orbital Science...

those are making me having an issue at the moment

EDIT:

MacTee, forget everything I wrote... I just discovered, that all those zip-files were corrupted... :(

Sorry for making trouble!

Edited by Horman

Hi diomedea,

KSP MA displayes mods as outdated (blue) when the AddDate is smaler than the creation date or when KSP MA detectes a greater creation date during a mod update check.

If this isn't true in your case please send me your kspmodadmin.cfg file from the KSP install dir.

May be the CopyDestination and/or the CopyCheckedState is buggy. Can you tell which mods refuses the auto update?

Thanks for your support.

About 1., that's right.

I have it with MechJeb on KSP 23.5, that I first installed in version 2.1.1-198 and then manually updated to version 2.2; it has AddDate="03/04/2014 13.30.54" and CreationDate="06/04/2014 00.00.00", but sure AddDate was about the first version while CreationDate is about the second. Same is with RCS Sound, installed version 3.4 and now updated to version 4.0: AddDate="02/04/2014 23.10.27", CreationDate="04/04/2014 00.00.00". So I believe I have to update the AddDate too, when I manually update a mod. Easy, thanks for pointing the correct way to handle that.

About 2., I had it happen with Mission Controller Extended version 0.61 (updating from version 0.60.1). But I have better run more tests with this new auto-update feature, before pointing any issue to a specific mod (easily I may have done a mistake). I was expecting KSP MA to automatically install files from the new version over the old one, once finished downloading; however it remained in the mod browser, so I returned to the mods tab and did a manual install. KSP MA actually adds the new version to the mod list, but there is no evidence its files are processed, while no change seems happening to the already installed (outdated) version, that remains in the mod list as well. Please note that I use to rename mods in the mod list (I move version info out of the name string), so that may also have influence on the automatic update.

Oh, i didn't test the auto update with renamed mods. Maybe thats buggy. :blush:

I'll test it tomorrow. I need some sleep today =)

EDIT:

I dont know what was wrong with me but i remember now that i have tested the auto update with renamed mods.

Anyway, i have tested to auto update the Mission Controller Extended 0.60.1 (with default install dirs) and renamed mod name (from: "uploads_2014_04_MissionControllerMCE601" to: "MissionControllerMCE601") to the 0.61.3, with more or less no problems (only the Toolbar wasn't updated). But i didn't got the message to handle the update manualy.

I'll fix the problem with folders where the parent folder don't match to the on in the outdated mod.

Edited by MacTee

Confirm it worked when doing the autoupdate in the correct way (still can't say what I did wrong before).

Anyway, found another way to create trouble. Did not check and opened a second instance of KSP MA. It seems each instance loads and keeps info in its own memory. Made updates and closed one instance, then closed the other not updated one. Reopened, and KSP MA loaded the info as if it wasn't updated (but more probably, the updated files were overwritten when the latest instance was closed).

Hey MacTee, since I became aware of your mod I'm in love with it. I cant say how much I appreciate your work. =)

I was reinstalling my (many, maaany) mods today because of a graphical problem I'm having and I came across something... It's not an issue, i think, but a minor nuisance. There are some plugins that are core to many different mods, like the Firespitter, Toolbar, etc. Sometimes mods that are dependant or that work with plugins of other mods distribute that content inside it's own zip/rar/wathever archive, but not always an up to date version. When you're installing something with ModAdmin, you can actually uncheck the "override existing files" or you can simply not check the box of the unwanted file inside the compressed archive, but it behaves kinda counter intuitive if you let both unchecked, because albeit it doesn't actually override the content you already have installed, it erases it.

So, I was thinking if you could put an option on the right button menu for "protect the installed file" or something like that, that will simple block any changes on the mod file, so that anything inside it will be overwritten, deleted or modified while the option is active.

Did I made myself clear? Don't know if my text is confusing or if is just me being tired...

Edit: I meant "nothing inside it will be overwritten, deleted or modified while the option is active".

Edited by BadLeo

Hi BadLeo,

Thanks for your feedback! :)

I'll release the KSP MA v1.4.0 PR6 in the evening (UTC +1). It should solve the problem with mods like the Toolbar.

But could you name me a few mods that uses the Firespitter or the Toolbar, so i could do some more testing?

Edited by MacTee

Sure, no problem. :D

The KSOS comes with Firespitter and RasterProperMonitor files

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68429-0-23-5-Kerbin-Shuttle-Orbiter-System-v2-08-aka-Kerbin-Mini-Shuttle

The Interstellar comes with TreeLoader plugin

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43839-0-23-5-KSP-Interstellar-%28Toolbar-Integration-New-Models-New-Tech%29-Version-0-11

Connected Living Space and SteamGauges both comes with Toolbar file

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70161]

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/40730-0-23-SteamGauges-V1-5-Analog-Radar-Altimeter-and-More!

I think there are a few others that i know, but couldn't find them. Hope this will help.

Hey MacTee! In reply to your post on my reddit thread: Man, I forgot about that subreddit post asking about mod managers. I didn't know that KSPMA was still being updated when I made the post, and I am happily using it now.

Unfortunately, most users will not read the readme. Advanced users will assume they can figure it out and novice users don't bother anyway. Some users will read the readme when something goes wrong. For me, I never even thought to consult it. Usually I only turn to readmes when I can't get a program working at all. The tooltips on the buttons are a decent idea, but I didn't expect tooltips to pop up over buttons, so I never saw them. I don't know if most users would see them or not. A help button might be useful.

The things that can lead to confusion (at least for new users) in the mod:

* The "Remove" button VS unchecking and Processing a mod. What new users might ask: What does the remove button do that unchecking a mod doesn't do?

* Process "Selected Mods". Does selected mean selected or "checked". I know now it means the highlighted mods, but I think this would be unclear to many users.

* The purpose of checking / unchecking a mod. New users might ask: is this to select mods to remove? Is this to select mods to process? Does checking a mod make it usable immediately?

My other opinions:

The "Remove all" button isn't really necessary. It might be useful if it was in the options or something : it's not something people will use very often so why stick it on the front?

Processing mods shouldn't give up when it hits a mod that it can't install. It should keep going and install whatever it can, and then alert the user in a clear way that not all mods were installed (not just noted in the console. maybe a pop-up?).

I still feel that processing "Selected Mods" vs "All Mods" is unnecessary. If you don't want a mod to install, don't check it. If you want to leave it installed, leave it checked.

ModBrowser should let you enter a spaceport URI, so you can use google and not the awful search feature on the SpacePort site.

Edited by Glyph

@diomedea:

Thanks for the list of mods!

@BadLeo:

Till now there is no export /print function implemented. I have added the idea to my todo list.

Could you tell me which kind of export list you would expect.

Comma seperated list, plain text list, xml, etc.

@Glyph:

Thanks for you feedback! Great that you got here to post it!

A Help Tab is planned for a long time now, i'll implement it in one of the next releases.

What do you think of a basic / advanced mode for the GUI, so i can display a simplified GUI for new users.

@All:

Sry, the release of PR6 will delay ...

I have decided to bring the PR6 now and handle the Toolbar mod issue in the next release.

The problem with Toolbar and mods like that is, that thay normaly would be installed to the GameData dir indipended of the mod that brings it along.

Lets assume you have 2 installed mods that uses Toolbar and both mods have the GameData folder as destination for it. If you now uncheck the toolbox in one of the two mods, it is possible that the Toolbar mod won't be installed.

There are two reasons why:

1. When you check the toolbar in the first mod and uncheck it in the second one and then proceed both mods, KSP MA will install the toolbar with the first mod and will remove it with the second mod.

Workaround:

Uncheck the Toolbar in the top most mod (mods will be processed in sort order of the ModSelection tab) and only check it in the last mod that uses it.

2. When you Update a mod where the toolbar is unchecked but the toolbar is installed (with another mod or as standalone) the update will delete the toolbar, cause my update algorythem is not aware of the fact that the toolbar is installed by another mod.

Workaround:

Manualy or RemoveAndAdd auto update option =(

EDIT: Better way is to rest the destination for the toolbar files of the mod that should not install the toolbar like mod. (Thanks BadLeo=))

KSP MA v1.4.0 PR6

New / Fixes:

• Bug "Loading Download path from cfg" fixed. -> Thanks to diomedea
  • Bug "Loading of older KSP MA cfg files" fixed. No more version folder for the KSP MA cfg file! (c:\ProgramData\KSPModAdmin\KSPModAdmin\KSPModAdmin.cfg)
  • Bug "Auto update failed on folders where no matching parent folder was found in outdated mod" fixed. -> Thanks to diomedea
  • Bug "No error logging" fixed. KSP MA will now write all messages to a log file next to the KSPModAdmin.exe (file will be deleted if size is bigger then 2mb).
  • KSP MA will only open one Window. If you double click the exe again, the running KSP MA will become the top most Window.
  • Simplified internal handling of Download and Backup path changes.
  • More messages for the message window.

How To handle blue colored (outdated) mods:

To update the mod right click it and choose "Visit Spaceport site" to download the new version.

After the download of the mod one of the following update actions will be performed (depanding of your settings on the Options Tab).

• RemoveAndAdd -> Remove the outdated mod and install the new one.
  • CopyDestination -> Try to find matching files and copies their destination and checked state.
  • CopyCheckstate -> Trys to find matching files and copies their checked state only.
  • Manually -> Updated mod will just be downloaded to the downloadsfolder. (No auto update!)

Edited by MacTee

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.