[AnyOS] KSP Mod Admin v2 - Mod install with a few clicks

MacTee

Uuuh, new shiny version!! *Downloading*

Well, I did not thought about what kind of export list I would expect until now...:rolleyes: I do prefer plain text, but its a personal preference and nothing more. What I think is that comma separated can be messy and xml... is xml. It can handle lots of info better, but kinda overuse if what you're going to show is just mods names and versions, I guess. I dunno. I would handle any of them gladly, instead of coming here to ask "MacTee, could you make it print my mod list with extra large font and bright blindly colours so I could be an annoying derp while posting my issue info, pleeeeeeeeeeeease?" :D, but I think plain text is the one to go to please general people, from noobs to veterans, and for handle simple info like mods names and versions. XML could be used if you are thinking about a feature to handle general statistics and more info, though.

There could be another option: printing the list to an image. It has the downside of not being editable, but it can be its good point, too. If one just want a list of his installed mods to post on the forum, why bother editing, anyways? But its just an ideia...

Edit: To bypass the thing with mods folder contents being erased, I let everything inside the root file checked and uncheck the override option. Works like a charm if you are installing new content and have that outdated dependant mods attached.

Edit2: Forget about the 'print to image' thing. I was tripping on my sunday morning black strong cofee. I meant PDF. But, then again, it may be cumbersome to handle PDF exporting, I guess.

Edited by BadLeo

"What do you think of a basic / advanced mode for the GUI"

I love that idea. Either an advanced mode, or have some checkboxes in settings that would enable some additional features. The extra settings could be under an "Advanced" options menu.

Is there a way to make path destinations bound to specific archives? I mean, if only the original archive that installed a folder could alter that folder in any ways, it could solve the problem definitively. On the other hand, it could create another issue, that is prevent other mods to install addon contents to already existing folders. So, if it's possible, the bound path could use the override checkbox to enable/disable itself. Just an idea...

Does this work only for fresh installations of KSP?

Isn't there a way to scan the mods you already have and update them? I'm even providing the folder where all my mods are and it still shows my mods in red like there was no Zip file available.

Isn't there a way to scan the mods you already have and update them? I'm even providing the folder where all my mods are and it still shows my mods in red like there was no Zip file available.

As far as the program knows there are no ZIP files for your previously installed mods; they're just folders in the GameData directory. As far as I can tell the only way to work with them is to uninstall them through the program (deleting them through Windows just unchecks their box in the program) and reinstall them with the ZIP. Note that you should put your ZIP files where you want them kept before installing, because the program pays attention to where they are and doesn't make its own copy.

I haven't figured out a way to directly update a mod without uninstalling it first...

Is there a way to make path destinations bound to specific archives? I mean, if only the original archive that installed a folder could alter that folder in any ways, it could solve the problem definitively. On the other hand, it could create another issue, that is prevent other mods to install addon contents to already existing folders. So, if it's possible, the bound path could use the override checkbox to enable/disable itself. Just an idea...

I have planed a check on existing destination paths during mod adding/updating in the next version. then KSP MA will detect mods that tries to install files with the same destination as a installed mod. KSP MA will then warn the user and let him decide which mod should install those files. That should solve the problem.

Does this work only for fresh installations of KSP?

When you have used the scan button and there are red colored mods in your ModSelection, you can create a zip for each of them with a right click on the mod and the "Zip source" -> "Create zip from installed items" and then "use default name" (a zip of the installed mod with the mod name will be created in the mod download folder) or "chose name" (You can enter a name for the new zip archive). I'll add dilaog after the scan that gave you that hint and let you chose to auto zip all found mods.

Infos below are only falid for KSP MA v1.4.0 PR6 (prerelease 6 with update feature).

How to prepare already installed mods for the update fature:

If you already have installed mods, you can edit the mod infos with a rightclick and the "Edit mod infos" button.

The mod infos edit dialog will open where you can change the mod infos.

Enter the URL to the KSP Spaceport site of the mod and press the button next to the TextBox. KSP MA will get the mod infos for you.

Now the mod is prepared for the "Mod update fature" :)

How To handle blue colored (outdated) mods:

To update the mod right click it and choose "Visit Spaceport site" to download the new version.

After the download of the mod one of the following update actions will be performed (depanding of your settings on the Options Tab).

• RemoveAndAdd -> Remove the outdated mod and install the new one.
  • CopyDestination -> Try to find matching files and copies their destination and checked state.
  • CopyCheckstate -> Trys to find matching files and copies their checked state only.
  • Manually -> Updated mod will just be downloaded to the downloadsfolder. (No auto update!)

Edited by MacTee

Sorry if I've missed something obvious, but how do you install a mod that includes its own dependencies without breaking their previous installations in the non-prerelease version? For instance, I keep my Toolbar installation up to date myself, so when a mod has a Toolbar folder in it, I uncheck that folder because I want to use the version already there. Proceeding with that installation then deletes the Toolbar folder and I have to reinstall it from the ZIP.

I wonder if it would be possible to set a mod dependencies list for each savegame. (Just selecting a savegame, and selecting the 'mandatory' mods from the existing ones for that savegame. This way, if one if the mandatory mods is unloaded, the savegame is also unloaded until the mandatory mods are reloaded ?

An other approach would be that when a mod is removed only those parts are removed that haven't been used.

Most mods have some parts which are used frequently while other parts aren't used at all. This way the amount of used memory can be kept low while using as many mods as one wishes. Take f.e. the space shuttle mod which provides excellent engines and a lot of tanks. I never use those tanks but almost always one or more engines of this mod.

Thanks for the suggestion,

i think its not straight forward to keep some parts in the mod install dir but remove the mod from the ModSelection (on a click on remove).

But i'll add a check if a part of the mod is in use of a vessle and warn the user then.

What do you think about a button that unchecks not used parts of a mod?

Thanks for the suggestion,

i think its not straight forward to keep some parts in the mod install dir but remove the mod from the ModSelection (on a click on remove).

But i'll add a check if a part of the mod is in use of a vessle and warn the user then.

That would even be better than i suggested!

This would allow a user to build up his/her own favourite part collection. Almost all mods have some parts which you always use and some which you never (will) use. This way you can keep those which you like, add more mods and stil keep the memory footprint as low as possible.

A small info for the upcoming KSP MA 1.4.0 PR7 release:

The next version of KSP MA will require the .net 4.5 framework!

If you doesn't already use the .net 4.5 framework, you have to download the installer from Microsoft (here) and install it.

This way you can keep those which you like, add more mods and stil keep the memory footprint as low as possible.

A fast way to select/deselect parts from mods? Actually, an automatic way? Really? OMFG

3_word_quote_dreams_come_true_sticker-p217511372655598461836x_325%5B1%5D.jpg

A feature which also should be added is an option to save/load all the settings (which parts from which mods have been activated). This can help to determine mod clashes much easier than currently. This is probably not so hard to do.

Some kind of profiles for mod settings and ModPack creation (for sharing) is planed, but first i want to finish the mod update and the conflicting mods detection features :)

One more thing:

I'm diving into Mono development right now to check if it's possible to port KSP MA to Linux without to much work. Stay tuned.

Edited by MacTee

I'm finding that with many mods including key plugins in their archive, I have multiple attempts to install Firespitter and Exurgient dll's. If those are installed on their own archive, is there a way to autodetect that and not install legacy versions that may be included in other mods?

Hi Pondafarr,

thanks for the feedback!

Sorry, for now KSP MA don't detectes multiple destinations for a mod file.

The next version KSP MA PR7 will have a collision detection for those files, and if it detectes a collision it will be warn you and asks which mod should install those files.

For now you have a manual workaround: Just remove the destination form the unwanted files and KSP MA won't try to proceed those mod files anymore.

A detection for lagacy mods is not planned yet. I'll think about that!

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Love the Mod Admin. The last two days i've been playing more with the MA than actually flying LMAO.

Last comment...many mods have up to 7 tiers in their folder structure. When i set the (Options) (Paths) search to 7, it seems to revert to 3 the next time I load, causing the Mod Admin to "not see" things in those distant folders (typically parts, they will be listed as invalid within the craft validator). Is there a way to force keeping the number of folder layers I select? There doesn't seem to be a config file that I can poke around within.

Edited by Pondafarr

hmm, the number next to the "Auto search near folder structure" button is for KSP install folder search only and the value won't be saved to the KSP MA config (c:\programdata\kspmodadmin\kspmodadmin\kspmodadmin.cfg).

The depth of the folder structure within a mod (archive or installed) shouldn't be a problem. Maybe there is a Bug with certain mods.

Could you please send me the names of the mods that causes this problem?

Your KSPModAdmin.cfg from your KSP install folder would be helpful too.

KSPX continually failed to recognize cl_large_observationModule as a properly installed part, which I thought was an artifact of having a long folder structure:

F:\games\ksp-win-0-23-0\KSP_win\GameData\KSPX\Parts\Pods\cl_large_observationModule

Of course, it may simply be due to the way that part is packaged seperately within the archive, ModAdmin may not recognise it to place it correctly.

config file Drop box: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yezymiddvcf8l6x/kspmodadmin.cfg

Edited by Pondafarr

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.