[AnyOS] KSP Mod Admin v2 - Mod install with a few clicks

MacTee

Gave KSP MA a good work-out on the old build/dev environment where the issue came up. Can't reproduce the problem no matter how hard I try so I'm guessing I'm an idiot or I'm not reproducing the actions I took correctly. So.... red-faced. Sorry for the trouble chap.

EDIT - I should add that the KSO mod itself was incomplete. Like many of the mods I have installed it was heavily modded by me.

Edited by AlphaAsh

Hmm maybe you have added KSO and removed it (with remove button) this would uninstall all mod files (if the destination paths matches ;).

Anyway glad to hear that the problem seems gone ;)

EDIT: Next version will take a while, Tropico 5 is out and El Presidente needs to get things right ;)

Edited by MacTee

I've started rebuilding my modlist with a new install, Using Curseforge as a source, most mods download and add without fuss when I click on the "Download" button however I've come across a few that just come up as "Download Failed!" (see status down the bottom) I can't see why as if I launch to the same URL in my browser the download works as it should.

g3DeAF5.png

Edited by kizza42

@Beetlecat:

Yes the conflict detecting is not complete yet. It's the first throw. You can turn it off on the Options/Misc tab.

Sry for any inconvenience!

Cheers -- This is not easy I can certainly appreciate. :)

My dream for this would be to be able to manually arrange the overrides so that whatever gets loaded last gets precedence, and that files are not *actually* over-written. I guess we're able to -re-install from the archives in the mod folder, but it would be nice to drag&drop re-arrange.

@kizza42:

Thanks for the error report! I'll dive into it when Penultimo is back from the visit of the Queen. =) (with other words - weekend)

EDIT:

Just a note for interested users.

The community mod hosting project makes progress -> look here

Edited by MacTee

Hi, I keep getting this error message every time I try to download a mod. The mod downloads, the bar fills up, and once it's full it says this: "Illegal characters in path."

If I press continue, the error box will close, but the bar will stay full and never go away. I'm running 1.4.0, although the problem also occurred in the other version. I'm running Windows 7, and have the prerequisite installed. The debug message is this:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.

at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)

at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.CheckIllegalCharacters(String[] str)

at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)

at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String[] pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)

at System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)

at KSPModAdmin.Views.ucModBrowser.<>c__DisplayClass15.<DownloadFile>b__13(Boolean result, Exception ex)

at AsyncTask`1.DownloadFinished(Object sender, AsyncCompletedEventArgs e)

at System.Net.WebClient.OnDownloadFileCompleted(AsyncCompletedEventArgs e)

at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadFileOperationCompleted(Object arg)

Edited by bgraves

Hi bgraves,

what mod and from where (URL) do you try to download the mod?

In some cases the download link won't be parsed correct and this error occures.

Workaround (for now):

Please download the mod with you favorit browser and add it manually to KSP MA.

To get the mod update feature support, edit the ModInfos of the new added mod with a right click on the mod and Edit ModInfo.

There paste the URL (KSPForum or CurseForge) in the appropriated TextBox and check the VersionControll next to it.

EDIT: Could you pls remove everything below "************** Loaded Assemblies **************" of your last post. Thanks! ;)

Dear KSP Mod Admin Boss...

I admittedly have not read every post so I don't know if I'm talking about something that's already been covered or not.

I really love the idea of "Mod Admins" in general, I've used many and they can really streamline the process as your well aware. I also like the way your Admin visualizes mod conflicts with color coding. One thing that your Admin does is to help resolve those conflicts albeit with a "big hammer" approach it would seem. A nice addition if possible would be to have the ability to set the order or precedence of mod instals as part of conflict resolution instead of just disabling one of the conflicting mods all together.

Unless I'm missing this is possible in your current version of Mod Admin here's an example of what I'd like to be able to do....

Simple example:

Mod A does some cool stuff.

Mod B also does some cool stuff and add's a little flair to a couple of Mod A's files and needs to overwite a few.

In order to get the proper benefits of both Mods, Mod A needs to be installed first followed by Mod B.

I know in your Admin you can drill down and select/de-select individual files for install but that process becomes tedious when you expand the above example.

To make it simple I'd just like the option to be able to set an install order. I know that there would be more involved and you'd probably want to work on more intelligence to allow the uninstall in reverse order and to be able to remove overwritten files and replace them with the original Mod A files.... but Just to be able to set an install order would be great, even if it meant haveing to uninstall all associated/conflicting mods and re-installing only the desired mods.

Edited by rwazar

Hi MacTee

I tried the workaround you said, and changed one of the mods for its link in Curse.

But when it's checking for upgrades, the reply is:

Update check for mods started ...

"[Plugin] [0.23.5] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 3.1 - Updated 05/08/14)" checking ...

"[Plugin] [0.23.5] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 3.1 - Updated 05/08/14)" has no valid Spaceport or Forum URL

Update check done.

I'm using 1.4.0 on Win7

Any quick fix or workaround?

@eddyjay:

Did you changed the VersionControl RadioButton to CurseForge (within the ModInfo Editor)?

Is it a CurseForge link and not a Curse link?

@rwazar:

Thanks for your suggestions,

Yes, the conflict solver and the detection are very simple and are still buggy.

But my primary task for now is to make KSP MA Mono compatible to support other OS's.

When the Mono cleanup is finished, i'm back on feature improvements and bugfixes.

A first glimps of "KSP Mod Admin AnyOS"

KSPMAaOS.png

@eddyjay, and all ;)

OK, the problem is that CurseForge has merged two project categories to one (ksp-mods).

Till i fix this there will be issues with downloading mods and VersionControl from CurseForge.

i will publish a quick fix as soon as possible.

Edited by MacTee

KSP MA v1.4.0 PR11

The new version of KSP MA will require the .net 4.5 framework!

If you doesn't already use the .net 4.5 framework, you have to download the installer from Microsoft (here) and install it.

New / Fixes:

• ModBrowser Spaceport buttons removed.
  • Start site is now http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects
  • BUG "CorseForge category change" fixed.
  • BUG "ModBrowser window don't show up completely" fixed.

First thing first:

This is AWESOME adorando.gif

And now for my ask (u knew it was coming XD) sorry but didn't go through the 52 pages, so i don't know if someone already asked about it.

I think there's a two option, the first one you could add is to "solve conflicts". The new option would be something similar to "leave unsolved" and is for those folder from the game install (like ship, parts and the others). I keep having some yellow mods because of this.

THe other options is a basic as i though that every action has to have an opposite reaction, and it would be a new boton for the mod tab, calle "show unsolved conflict".

Anyway i think this Mod Admin is a incredible program which helped me keep together the fifty some mods i already have install. Keep up the good work!!!!

Hi Jack_Aubrey,

thanks for the report and suggestions! =)

I'm aware of the fakt that the first throw of the conflict detection and solving is crappy and there are several problems that i have to solve.

But my primary task for now is to make KSP MA Mono compatible to support Linux and Mac too.

When this is done i'm back to create a new fancy conflict detection (may be during the code shifting i'll improve this on the fly =)

Well done MacTee! Tkx for the fast fix!

Also, contact me if you need some help. My C# skills are a little bit rusty (I have to wear glasses... I don't C#), since I haven't used it for some 3/4 years.

But tell me something if you're in a tight spot. :)

Hi MacTee, have you considered moving somewhere other than Curse since they don't support binary distributions and 99% of users want the exe only? Maybe sourceforge?

Hi MacTee, have you considered moving somewhere other than Curse since they don't support binary distributions and 99% of users want the exe only? Maybe sourceforge?

Sure I must be one of the remaining 1% who much prefer to see addons accompanied by source code and license (as required by community rule 5.2), and I know many other users and modders who do as me. Very good reasons exist to have that, but am not going to digress here.

You sure are not amongst those users, but that is your opinion only, not a proof of 99% users backing it.

MacTee, please keep uploading complete packages of KSP Mod Admin, wherever you want them to be hosted. Thanks :).

Notice: as this thread is meant to discuss KSP Mod Admin and not how addons should be distributed in general, I need to remind that posts dealing with the latter risk being considered "derailing" (community rule 2.3.B). To discuss relative merits of different ways of packaging addons, posts must be addressed to a different thread. To discuss Curse or curseforge, a thread already exists. Otherwise, you are free to PM me or other staff.

Edited by diomedea
Notice added

Sure I must be one of the remaining 1% who much prefer to see addons accompanied by source code and license (as required by community rule 5.2), and I know many other users and modders who do as me.

What no! I love having source distributed, and I like the requirement that source be provided with mods in the KSP forum. I'm also not at all against Curse, I have a friend who worked there. The curse release ONLY has source though. The vast vast majority of users will not use a program if they need to compile it first, and so I suggested distributing it in a different way.

However, I realized that MacTee does have a binary release linked elsewhere in the thread, so my suggestion now is that he copy that link to the first post so more people can see it and use his excellent program.

Edited by Glyph

What no! I love having source distributed, and I like the requirement that source be provided with mods in the KSP forum. I'm also not at all against Curse, I have a friend who worked there. The curse release ONLY has source though. The vast vast majority of users will not use a program if they need to compile it first, and so I suggested distributing it in a different way.

However, I realized that MacTee does have a binary release linked elsewhere in the thread, so my suggestion now is that he copy that link to the first post so more people can see it and use his excellent program.

Then yes, as I knew MacTee was already linking whole package with every release (what I actually download each time), your previous post seemed to me aimed at having the Curseforge link removed and another link added with only the .exe in it. Glad you cleared it. I am happy with whatever site and service MacTee chooses, sure the whole package is better to have.

Hey MacTee.

I am trying to install and run 1.4.0.11 version.

But.. I have installed NETframe 4.5. I am running windows 7.

So. My qeustion is what KSPModAdmin should I run and how?

The one ending in .sln doesn't work.

I am sorry if this has already been asked. But what do I do?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.