[AnyOS] KSP Mod Admin v2 - Mod install with a few clicks

MacTee

How do I run multiple instances next to each other? My 0.24 installation seems a bit broken, so I made a second folder with both KSP and this Mod Admin. However, when I start the mod manager, it shows all the mods installed in the other folder.

Is it possible to run two separate installations next to each other and still manage them with Mod Admin?

@Camacha:

To avoid problems during saving KSP MA could only be started once!

But you can add additional KSP install folders on the Option -> Paths Tab.

KSP MA could handle multiple KSP Install folders.

To switch between those folders just use the drop down box at the top of the KSP MA main window.

Have a look in the ReadMe file there you can find some How to's =)

@thisischrys:

Thanks. I'll fix it as soon as possible! =)

Edited by MacTee

Hello I have the latest version and all Curse downloads are failing.

Confirmed. 1.4.0 PR 14 (fresh install)

Steps:

Open KSP Mod Admin

Navigate to ModBrowser

Select "Download" button on mod page (example used: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220221-mechjeb)

Receive "Mod download started ... Mod download failed!" messages in status box

Log:

[14.09.2014 02:18:18.427] [1] [697] Info    : Mod download started ...[14.09.2014 02:18:19.756] [1] [735] Error   : Illegal characters in path.
Exception: System.ArgumentException
StackTrace:
at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)
at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
at KSPModAdmin.Utils.CurseForgeHelper.DownloadMod(ModInfo& modInfo, DownloadProgressChangedEventHandler downloadProgressHandler)
at KSPModAdmin.Views.ucModSelection.HandleModAddViaCurseForge(String curseForgeURL, String modName, Boolean installAfterAdd, DownloadProgressChangedEventHandler downloadProgressHandler)
at KSPModAdmin.Views.ucModBrowser.<>c__DisplayClass7.<DownloadMod>b__3()
at AsyncTask`1.Run(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

In all honesty MT, abandon this and continue work on your MA aOS project. Tracking this issue is just taking time you could use working on that. I can't speak for everyone but I can say that I can wait for the aOS release.

oh no, i just have made a stupid mistake, i didn't build a release Version of KSP MA PR14 just debug versions. And i have released the old KSP MA PR13 (release build) cause my little helper program for releases just takes the release build =( ...

You can check this by right click the exe -> Properties -> Details there you will find the "old" version of KSP MA.

Here the real new PR 14 =)

Sry!!! And thanks to gzac95 & TheAlmightyOS!!!

Edited by MacTee

here's something that is causing some annoyance for me, not sure about others: I like the idea of checking for conflicts, I think that it's an awesome feature, and very well done. However, it is my opinion that another check box be added for the purpose of enabling/disabling folder conflict checking, while keeping file conflict checking on. I like to be able to find file conflicts and eliminate them, so when I see an orange mod, I start looking through it to find the conflict. But when I get to the bottom of the mod folder and find that the only conflict was a single folder shared by 2 or more mods (especially when they were made by the same artist) I feel like I wasted all that time looking to find nothing. Is this something that can be done?

Benz

edit: hehe, I said artist, what was I thinking? lol! Oh, and I'm using the actual pr14, too. MacTee, you're doing an awesome job. Have you put out anything like an outline of how modders should build their zip files to be more Mod Admin friendly? I think putting out a kind of simple reference guide for modders to follow would be nice, and make your life easier, as well as anyone who is using mod admin. Maybe having them add a file into their mod that mod admin itself uses to find out info about the mod to display to the user, like current version, name, stuff like that. Anyways, keep up the great work.

Edited by Benzschwagel

oh no, i just have made a stupid mistake, i didn't build a release Version of KSP MA PR14 just debug versions. And i have released the old KSP MA PR13 (release build) cause my little helper program for releases just takes the release build =( ...

You can check this by right click the exe -> Properties -> Details there you will find the "old" version of KSP MA.

Here the real new PR 14 =)

Sry!!! And thanks to gzac95 & TheAlmightyOS!!!

Confirmed working on the REAL PR14. :wink:

Modpack default filename invalid:

http://puu.sh/bzPfV/2797f1a87f.png

or you

I don't know if it pulls the date format from the system locale or what but maybe another default setting would be better?

Not that I plan on calling them that, but when testing it's easy to just hit save without worrying about the name.

Infernal Robotics downloads as a file without extension from curseforge

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220267-magic-smoke-industries-infernal-robotics-v0-14

http://puu.sh/bzPzf/555ba96ae2.png

Edited by thisischrys

Hi thisischrys,

the default name would be created with your system date format settings, i guess i have to change this =)

I can't realy do much about the extensionless filenames of mods.

I use the name that the author posted during file upload and shown on the files tab of CurseForge.

Let me think about it but for now i have no clue for a fix.

@Benzschwagel:

see your PMs for a test version with a FolderConflictDetection switch.

Till now I don't have posted any "Please do it that way" guildlines, and i think i won't do it cause most of the modders won't read it or will ignore them. I hope that the Combining efforts on proper mod management framework / tools / platform project will find huge support from modders or there will be enough maintainers for all the packages ;)

@TheAlmightyOS:

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by MacTee

ah yes I see the filename is wrong on curseforge

when you export a modpack with the modfiles included, and import it back, Capitalisation on filenames is lost

toolbar and mechjeb need their folders to be in proper Caps (for example MechJeb2) to load (there may be more, but they might not report errors)

Hi, one question.

Mod Admin messages a few mods as outdated but if i went to the forums mod page, ther will be the same version since months. Is this a bug or will i doing somthing wrong?

i.e. this Mode [Plugin] [0.24] Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing 0.8.1 is messeged as outdated but forum page still say 0.8.1 is actual and 1st post is last edited at 13th August 2014 at 16:20.

I don't read all of the last Pages so forgive me if i missed this.

Sorry for my english, languages are not my strongest ability.

I could write this in my native language (german), it would be easier but we are not allone in this world and i think it would be bad for everyone who have the same problem and can't read this :)

Edited by DianonForce

Hi DianonForce,

a mod should only be marked as outdated if your add date is smaler (older) then its creation date.

During a update check of forum mods KSP MA takes the last edit date of the first forum post as the creation date.

So it might be that you get false outdated mods if the author of the mod changes the first post but don't publishes a new version of his mod.

To "unmark" a false outdated mod, you have to change the add date. Make it newer (higher) then the edit date of the first post (or change date;).

If you get outdated marked mods where the edit date of the first post is smaler (older) then the add date of your mod please give me a note!

Thanks, for the new idea, i'll add a button "Fix false outdated mod" to the new version of KSP MA aOS.

Ok, seams to be the case here, install date = 12.09.2014 21:19:12 and creation date = 12.09.2010 21:19:13 but this is not the date of the last edit of the first post. In my example http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/29862-0-24-Procedural-Dynamics-Procedural-Wing-0-8-1

I try to reset the creation date to its correct value and watch what will hapen the next days.

EDIT:

Ok, i found somthing, but i don't know if this is a bug or a mistake by me.

I add the ModInfo per hand, marked the KSP Forum URL Line, add the link and click the 'Get the Mod Info from KSP Spaceport or KSP Forum' button in the right upper corner, then the creation date will automaticly switch to current timestamp.

Edited by DianonForce

Ok, seams to be the case here, install date = 12.09.2014 21:19:12 and creation date = 12.09.2010 21:19:13 but this is not the date of the last edit of the first post. In my example http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/29862-0-24-Procedural-Dynamics-Procedural-Wing-0-8-1

I try to reset the creation date to its correct value and watch what will hapen the next days.

The dates are looking a little odd, i've fixed it in the PR15 so that they will be set to the same date (if you add a mod via its archive path on your HD).

EDIT:

Ok, i found somthing, but i don't know if this is a bug or a mistake by me.

I add the ModInfo per hand, marked the KSP Forum URL Line, add the link and click the 'Get the Mod Info from KSP Spaceport or KSP Forum' button in the right upper corner, then the creation date will automaticly switch to current timestamp.

Actually this button should do exactly what you have described. It should fill the ModInfos automatically.

A good way to solve false outdated mods!

But with a button or ContextMenu option you won't have to open the ModEdit dialog and press a button. So it might be a good idea too. =)

KSP MA 1.4.0 PR15 (download)

What's new:

• FolderConflictDetection on / off option added.
  • Bug "Default naming for ModPacks" fixed -> Thanks to thisischrys!
  • Bug in filename parsing from ResponseHeaders fixed (For direct downloads with ModBrowser).
  • Creation Date and Add Date of added mods (via filepath) are now the same. -> Thanks to DianonForce!

How did you add the mod?

If you have added the mod from your HD it will be the system time. All fine =)

EDIT: Ok after a PM from DianonForce i got his point and it seems that there is a bug with the button within the EditModInfos dialog that gets the ModInfos for a KSP Forum mods. Sometime it could happen that after a click on that button the creation date is not the edit date of the first forum post as intended. Instead it is the actual system time.

I'll have a look on that. Thanks for the report!

Edited by MacTee

I have an idea:

So, I noticed that when you select multiple items and right-click on them to do something (for me it's always 'reset directory', haven't tested for anything else), the action is only applied to the one you actually right-clicked on, not the other items you selected. When I'm trying to fix conflicts, I sometimes have to 'reset directory' for multiple files to stop them from showing up as conflicts. I like to try to get the actual mod instead of using what a modder packed along with his mod. For example: B9 uses Firespitter's dll, so I get the Firespitter mod, then 'reset directory' for the Firespitter folder inside the B9 mod so it doesn't load. This makes sure that the 'dependency mod' is there in case I want to use more of it, and that it is up to date (I lost count of the different versions of module manager that I have had to disable since I went and got the latest version, 2.3.5). So I end up doing 'reset directory' quite often. It would be nice if 'reset directory' applied to all items selected and not just the one item that was right-clicked on to bring up the menu.

Also, since MA checks for the folder that a mod was loaded from, can you put a menu item in the right-click menu to got to that folder, next to the option for opening the 'installed into' folder? Something like 'Open mod source folder'?

It would basically look like:

Destination

Zip Source

Open mod install folder

Open mod source folder

---------------------------

Proceed selected mod <---- You should change 'Proceed' to 'Process' to keep with the wording of the 'Process mod selection:' area on the bottom of MA

Edited by Benzschwagel
stuck on the ceiling, again...

Thanks for the new version, this gets better with every update.

First a question: When you click Download Mod, and it doesn't find it and gives you the second browser window, is it supposed to remember where to download it for the next time?

If so this does not work for me. If not why not just tell the user to use the original browser window?

I don't know if you have a roadmap in your head for the future so I'll just write suggestions as I think of them

Special treatment for ModuleManager (Only allow latest one) or maybe a screen with a list of all *-version.dll with the option to say keep only latest or keep all)

Give error when file deleting fails (Or disable deleting while KSP is running)

Ability to "rescan" the source zip files (For example: What I do now is go through all the zips and delete other versions of module manager, it will just skip over the missing files, but they keep showing. )

Detect when default KSP files are overwritten (and save a copy to put back when mod is unapplied) (For example KW includes a modified ClampSound)

Lastly a suggestion: When you release aOS, please consider putting it on github or somewhere. It's a lot easier to use for small fixes/changes than having to send a zip back and forth. (Assuming you want other people to contribute that is)

Thanks for all your work!

Edited by thisischrys

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.