[AnyOS] KSP Mod Admin v2 - Mod install with a few clicks

MacTee

Hi folks,

another small info:

The release of my new project for a customer is done, almost without problems. Now we have one more week of hypercare for this project and then i should be able to do some work on KSP MA again =)

Thanks to all for all the new suggestions, error reports and helping eachother out on smaller problems!

Oh, here is another bug that I noticed:

Whenever I would do a right-click for the context menu (when all the mods were unchecked), and then select "check all mods", a large number of mods would only have the first check box checked (the root folder of the entire mod folder only). I would have to manually uncheck and recheck those mods to get the rest of the folder to become checked. While this may not be a big issue now, it is time consuming as I would spend a good amount of time trying to get those mods installed right. I'm also not entirely sure if the mods that said that they were installed were actually installed, as they could have had only 1 file or folder installed and they would have the color coding that designates it as installed.

Also, when you check a checkbox for a mod, and you had intentionally unchecked a few files and folders because they weren't needed (like the source folder or the license and readme files), it asks you whether you want to install those somewhere after checking the box. While this is a nice feature, can you add an option to turn that off? I had gone through and taken the time to remove all the unnecessary files from loading by resetting their install directory. But upon checking the mod, I was asked over and over about where to install all those files that I told the program not to install.

Overall, this is great work, though. Thank you for a great program.

Benz

question: how does one copy the modlist config from one install folder to another.

i finally setup the whole shebang for a .24 install, but have a .25 install that i wanna update, and i really don't want to spend the time to setup every mod one at a time if i can just copy the config/path files since i also have another 2 installs.

question: how does one copy the modlist config from one install folder to another.

With either the official 1.4.1 PR15 build, or my unofficial PR16 build, you need to copy and modify a config file after adding the second install.

To add additional copies of KSP, read this post.

Once you have added it, close KSP Mod Admin. (Do not omit this step!)

Go to the Kerbal Space Program folder of the install you are copying (the one that already has mods installed) and copy the KSPModAdmin.cfg file to the folder you wat to copy the mods to.

Open the new copy of KSPModAdmin.cfg (the one you just copied to) in a text editor (I recommend Notepad++) and do a find and replace. You need to replace all occurrences of the path to the KSP folder with the path to your new copy.

For example, I copied my KSP install from the F: of my laptop to the C:, so I opened up the KSPModAdmin.cfg and replaced "F:\media\steam library\common\Kerbal Space Program" with "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program".

Don't try to do this by hand, even a few mods will have many repeats of these paths.

As long as you are not also moving the KSPModAdmin.exe and the folder it is downloading to (same folder unless you specify one) there is no need to change the path to the mods.

Re-open KSPModAdmin, and pick the folder you want to play from the drop-down. Right click on a mod and pick "Uncheck All" then hit the All mods button. Then you will need to right click again and "Check All Mods" and hit the All Mods button again. (This can result in quite a few queries for all files that do not have a destination set, see the post above yours for a possible problem.)

Having more than one copy of KSPModAdmin.exe is futile, since the base configuration is stored (usually) C:\Program Data\KSPModAdmin. Multiple copies will just all read the same base config.

Oh, here is another bug that I noticed:

Whenever I would do a right-click for the context menu (when all the mods were unchecked), and then select "check all mods", a large number of mods would only have the first check box checked (the root folder of the entire mod folder only). I would have to manually uncheck and recheck those mods to get the rest of the folder to become checked. While this may not be a big issue now, it is time consuming as I would spend a good amount of time trying to get those mods installed right. I'm also not entirely sure if the mods that said that they were installed were actually installed, as they could have had only 1 file or folder installed and they would have the color coding that designates it as installed.

Also, when you check a checkbox for a mod, and you had intentionally unchecked a few files and folders because they weren't needed (like the source folder or the license and readme files), it asks you whether you want to install those somewhere after checking the box. While this is a nice feature, can you add an option to turn that off? I had gone through and taken the time to remove all the unnecessary files from loading by resetting their install directory. But upon checking the mod, I was asked over and over about where to install all those files that I told the program not to install.

Overall, this is great work, though. Thank you for a great program.

Benz

Fixing this would require (I think) some recoding of the way mods are parsed internally.

I currently have permission from MacTee to make small updates in the 1.4.0 branch of code, but since I have no way to update the original post, I'm not sure how many users of the software will even see this. I am considering forking and moving the code to GitHub, and starting a new thread pending MacTee's return. Would anyone like to see me do this?

Fixing this would require (I think) some recoding of the way mods are parsed internally.

I currently have permission from MacTee to make small updates in the 1.4.0 branch of code, but since I have no way to update the original post, I'm not sure how many users of the software will even see this. I am considering forking and moving the code to GitHub, and starting a new thread pending MacTee's return. Would anyone like to see me do this?

I would love to see ModAdmin updated and on GitHub. I'd follow it there.

With either the official 1.4.1 PR15 build, or my unofficial PR16 build, you need to copy and modify a config file after adding the second install.

thx for the heads up, i also installed your unofficial build since it has kerbalstuff support tho couple of things:

- i noticed you have to add them via browser, you can't add kerbalstuff urls via the add button.

- adding via kerbalstuff browser doesn't detect conflicts if the same mod was added via forum link (there are two copies with different names but exact contents and doesn't detect the conflict)

question about updating mods:

does it automatically update mods?

if you add them via forum->github will it remember the url and fetch updates too?

edit: just noticed that asking the program to update mods returns "no valid url for x mod" if the mod was added via kerbalstuff.

Edited by Poofer

thx for the heads up, i also installed your unofficial build since it has kerbalstuff support tho couple of things:

- i noticed you have to add them via browser, you can't add kerbalstuff urls via the add button.

- adding via kerbalstuff browser doesn't detect conflicts if the same mod was added via forum link (there are two copies with different names but exact contents and doesn't detect the conflict)

question about updating mods:

does it automatically update mods?

if you add them via forum->github will it remember the url and fetch updates too?

edit: just noticed that asking the program to update mods returns "no valid url for x mod" if the mod was added via kerbalstuff.

I added kerbalstuff quick-n-dirty so it doesn't support add via url, and can't detect updates.

I am actually working with KerbalStuff so that I can better detect updates, but need to get a copy of the server running myself to test code changes.

Not sure why it wouldn't detect the same mod with different sources as a conflict. What mod did you have this happen with?

Auto update: no. You can tell it to update, but it doesn't seem to be working 100%

Not sure about added from forum with github link.

Since at least two other people are wanting to get updates, I will begin an attempt at a fork and rebuild of the program.

The GitHub repo is here: github.com/4o66/kmk (KSP Mod Kombobulator)

Once I have something worth releasing I will let this thread know.

i had it happen with about 5 different mods including kethane, far, remote tech, kjr.

also i did stumble upon that pesky bug someone mentioned earlier about some mods showing as checked but only the gamedata folder and nothing "below" was checked, thought i'd mention it.

also i did stumble upon that pesky bug someone mentioned earlier about some mods showing as checked but only the gamedata folder and nothing "below" was checked, thought i'd mention it.

oh good, I wasn't the only one that saw that problem. good, I was starting to think it was only me...

I didn't bother looking through the thread history, so please ignore me if this has already been requested.

It'd be super helpful if it were possible to add an entire directory all at once. I archive all the mod files I download so that I can easily refer to what mods I have installed at what versions. In trying out the mod admin, it has been really annoying/painful to have to go through and add each one of my 30-40 mods individually.

I didn't bother looking through the thread history, so please ignore me if this has already been requested.

It'd be super helpful if it were possible to add an entire directory all at once. I archive all the mod files I download so that I can easily refer to what mods I have installed at what versions. In trying out the mod admin, it has been really annoying/painful to have to go through and add each one of my 30-40 mods individually.

i know what you mean, there is actually a way: modpacks. The program allows you to pack up a selection list which can include the download information and/or archives so that you can import it into another install. i don't know however if modpacks can be exchanged between users: say someone has a scott manley mod compilation and packs it up with the manager then people will just be able to start a campaign using the same mods.

you can do this with the export/import button btw

here's something else I noticed, when I tried to make a backup of the directory when it was .24 (the thought was to back it up just in case I wanted to bring the whole thing back for whatever reason), the backup utility didn't actually back up the root files (like the .exe's and other files) that were required to run the game. So when it suddenly updated to .25, I was dead in the water concerning trying to restore .24. Next time I will create an entirely different folder that is separate from Steam and try that.

Hi all,

ok, release and hyper care is over, the customer is happy and i have some time to get things done.

I'm working, as mentioned earlier, on the new KSP MA anyOS (2.0).

Most of the core features, are already implemented. Just one more major change of the update mechanism is missing.

When i have finished this you will get the first release of the KSP MA aOS 2.0 (I hope that i get it done in the next 2 weeks (no promise)).

Hi folks,

I need some volunteers who will test the new version of KSP MA aOS.

Testers with Linux or Mac versions of KSP are welcome too! (mono required!) =)

I also need some help with the translation of all controls and messages of KSP MA aOS to any language you can imagine.

If you are interested please write to [email protected] or PM me.

Edited by MacTee

Looks like Mod Admin can't install files without extensions.

Way to reproduce.

1. Get KSP KVV mod here.

2. Add loaded file in Mod Admin's Mod tab.

3. Extend mod folders tree.

Two folder of mod appears in tree with it's content:

.\GameData\KronalUtils\Plugins
.\GameData\KronalUtils\Textures

Bugreport2.jpg

Plugin directories, as seen in Mod Admin

But Admin totally ignores a subfolder branch

.\GameData\KronalUtils\Plugins\PluginData\KronalUtils

with all it's content. This folder contains several files without extensions.

Bugreport1.jpg

Plugin directories in archive, as seen in windows explorer.

Hi SVlad,

thanks for the bug report!

I'll fix that in one of the new versions of KSP MA aOS, maybe not in the v2.0.0 but i have it on top of my todo list!

@All:

Almost 1k views since my last post and only 3 volunteers...

Anyway, I still need help with the translation to other languages then Italian or Portuguese.

It would be great to find some people for the skandinavian languages or french, russian, spanish, polish, greek, dutch, hungarian or any other language (this is not a ranking and quiet far from complete).

I don't know if I could handle chinese or japanese but hey lets try =)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

short update how the KSP MA aOS is going:

• Mac is still untested (please pm me if you are interested)
  • On linux system i have some problems with authorizations. If someone know how to write a install script that garants KSP MA read/write rights to a certain folder (or web access) please send me a pm.
  • PC version is doing fine, except one annoying problem, it seems that this only happens with fresh Win8 64bit .Net4.5 installations.
  • Most core features are implemented like.
    • Mod management
    • ModPack Im/Export
    • Updatecheck for mods and KSP MA
    • Mod Update (autoinstall of mod updates)
    • Localization support
    • Plugins for KSP MA (for Download/VersionControll sites and fuctionality enhancements).

Translations:

We have translators for Portuguese, Italian, Russian, German and Dutch.

So please i need some more help for translations to other languages.

For example to french, spanish, polish, greek, hungariana, a skandinavian language or any other language.

(Again this list is no ranking =)

Bye

MacTee

Edited by MacTee

How do you update mods with this? Like for example retrofuture recently updated, so it goes blue, but I can't seem to find a way to have it download the new stuff.

Hi,

the last post is for the new KSP MA 2.0 version. Sry for the confusion!

I found an odd issue in my case that, apparently, only affects Kronal Vessel Viewer.

It doesn't copy the full archive over. Here is how it looks in KSP Mod Admin 1.4.0 PR15:

YVGJi+

But inside GameData, for the manually extracted mod, the folder structure includes these folders:

DQf10+

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.