[AnyOS] KSP Mod Admin v2 - Mod install with a few clicks

MacTee

1 minute ago, EoD said:

Yeah, I am having issues with github mods, too. Are there any news on this yet?

TBH I'm not sure what to do on this - I have something which is working for me, that I've pushed into my own fork of the source code, but it looks like the OP hasn't been around for some time.

If anyone wants to look at my forked code, I'm fine with that, but to release a forked version I'd need to a) Get into contact with Mactee to get the ok to redistribute stuff based on his code, b) take on the responsibility for it ... and I'm behind on updates for my own mods let alone someone else's app.

Timm

I have added some fixes on Github (dev branch).

Like:

• fix for curse-forge links 
  • fix for issues during mod update
  • fix for linux steam path detection

I hope i can release a new version next weekend (but don't count on that =))

Edited by MacTee

On 21.1.2016 at 1:55 PM, Probus said:

@MacTee, is there anyway to get a small change to this mod that would make a huge difference in it's usefulness (for me at least)?

All I want is the parts tab to show which parts are currently in use in my game.  That will help me prune a game in progress.

@Probus, sry for my late replay. ;) The feature you suggested is already implemented. 

Just go to the Crafts tab and click the refresh button. KSP MA aOS will scann all your parts and craft files.

KSP_MA_aOS-Refresh_Crafts_Tab.jpg

Change to the Parts tab and every used part will have a small plus sign. Click on it and you get a list of the crafts that are using it.

KSP_MA_aOS-Parts_Tab_Part_With_Crafts.jp

Edited by MacTee

Hi all,

we have a new version of KSP MA aOS v2.3.0.4.

What's new:

• Fixes for the UpdateMod Process
    No longer conflicts after a faild update. KSP MA will add the new mod and the user can handle the manual update (in most cases just few clicks with the conflict solver).
  • Fixes for GitHub support (thanks to timmers_uk!).
  • SpaceDock.info support added (thanks to 4o66!).
  • Fixes for CurseForge support.
  • KerbalStuff support removed.
  • Linux: Fixes for steam path detection.

Download links are in my signiture or on the first page.

Edited by MacTee

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm trying to replace the dead KerbalStuff URLs in my KSPMA mod-list, but the Curse and CurseForge version control URLs is giving me the error: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.". The GitHub and SpaceDock seem to be working fine. KSPMA v2.3.0.4. Would you please let me know if you have any issues with the Curse/CurseForge URLs and the KSPMA ? Thanks

@MacTee, Hi there, thank you for this nice tool. I want to make a suggestion, I think it would be helpful if there was an option to set mod-dependencies, so that when you're selecting a mod to install, KSPMA could change the node color of the required dependencies and request to resolve.

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2016 at 9:24 PM, basepart said:

... I think it would be helpful if there was an option to set mod-dependencies, so that when you're selecting a mod to install, KSPMA could change the node color of the required dependencies and request to resolve.

The biggest issue with this is that mods themselves do not contain the dependency information in any of the version and info files. The dependency tree in CKAN would be a possible candidate, but it is at best unreliable since there is no mechanism for a mod author to explicitly control their own mod. (Based on my limited understanding of the CKAN database.)

A possible fix to this would need adoption from the mod authors themselves using an agreed upon format to document

On 3/12/2016 at 9:24 PM, basepart said:

...trying to replace the dead KerbalStuff URLs in my KSPMA mod-list, but the Curse and CurseForge version control URLs is giving me the error: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Send me a copy of your KSPModAdmin_aOS.cfg (In the KSP base folder)?
I assume you are right-clicking the mod and choosing edit ModInfos?

On 3/16/2016 at 6:36 AM, thakyZ said:

@MacTee I am for some reason not able to download anything from curse forge on your tool, I just says that the URL download has started but then doesn't do anything other than reset the add mod dialog box.

Here is my log if you need it: http://pastebin.com/DSzDKZgU

Can you reply with the link of the mod you are trying to add? 

5 hours ago, 4o66 said:

Send me a copy of your KSPModAdmin_aOS.cfg (In the KSP base folder)?
I assume you are right-clicking the mod and choosing edit ModInfos?

Thank you, you're right, I was right-clicking the ModInfos to edit them. Here's the link of the config file...

https://www.dropbox.com/l/s/lSTnpMsxAcKsRQoHQJfcmo

5 hours ago, 4o66 said:

The biggest issue with this is that mods themselves do not contain the dependency information in any of the version and info files.

I understand that it cannot be done automatically without the proper info. I was thinking to set the dependencies manually(if there was such functionality in KSPMA). That wouldn't be a big problem. One could get that info from the mod's forum page. Also you could use the CKAN as a companion to the KSPMA, to check the dependencies of a mod.

3 hours ago, basepart said:

Thank you, you're right, I was right-clicking the ModInfos to edit them. Here's the link of the config file...

It looks like this is fixed in the current development version (2.3.0.5)

Until MacTee drops an official release, I have compiled a preview, you can get it here: https://github.com/4o66/KSP-Mod-Admin-aOS/releases/tag/2.3.0.5_Preview_1

Disclaimer: this may break your game, computer, set your cat on fire, etc. Backup your game files before testing this preview copy.

I understand that it cannot be done automatically without the proper info. I was thinking to set the dependencies manually(if there was such functionality in KSPMA). That wouldn't be a big problem. One could get that info from the mod's forum page. Also you could use the CKAN as a companion to the KSPMA, to check the dependencies of a mod.

There was, at one point, a CKAN plugin in the works. Not sure where on the roadmap it is now, but my coding skills are not quite up to that task yet.

Edited by 4o66

1 hour ago, 4o66 said:

Until MacTee drops an official release, I have compiled a preview, you can get it here: https://github.com/4o66/KSP-Mod-Admin-aOS/releases/tag/2.3.0.5_Preview_1

Many thanks 4o66. The CurseForge control URL is working fine. I've just updated a few mods with your version. Also, I see that the "preview_1" doesn't get the version numbers of the mods from CurseForge, but this can be an issue of the web site.

Thanks again

19 hours ago, basepart said:

Many thanks 4o66. The CurseForge control URL is working fine. I've just updated a few mods with your version. Also, I see that the "preview_1" doesn't get the version numbers of the mods from CurseForge, but this can be an issue of the web site.

Thanks again

When adding KIS (using http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/kerbal-inventory-system-kis) as the mod URL, it pulls the correct mod version.

Can you provide and example mod that doesn't pull the version number?

(Are you changing the modinfo, updating, or adding a totally new mod?)

So after some testing, it turns out KMA gets the version from KIS via the .version file in the mod zip. Curse doesn't have a "version" field for the mod on the page itself, except if the author includes the version in the filename. Let me see if I can come up with a way to reliably parse out the version of the mod.

On the plus side, I have figured out how to include the notes in the mod info imported into KMA.

Edited by 4o66
update

5 hours ago, 4o66 said:

When adding KIS (using http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/kerbal-inventory-system-kis) as the mod URL, it pulls the correct mod version.

Can you provide and example mod that doesn't pull the version number?

(Are you changing the modinfo, updating, or adding a totally new mod?)

Well, I had the "AVC version file support" turned off in the misc options of the KSPMA. The GitHub and the SpaceDock doesn't need that option to pull the version of the mod, but I guess that the curseforge doesn't provide the version number, so in this case you need the AVC version file support, and the KSPMA pulls the version info from the zip file and not from the web site. I had that option turned off because when a mod zip archive includes its dependencies, then in some occasions the KSPMA pulls the version of the dependency mod instead of the version of the main mod.

Thanks for the help 4o66.

15 hours ago, basepart said:

...because when a mod zip archive includes its dependencies, then in some occasions the KSPMA pulls the version of the dependency mod instead of the version of the main mod.

Thanks for the help 4o66.

Can you give me an example URL for a mod that is packed this way? I will see if there is some way to detect better which file to use.

You're very welcome, thanks for helping us to make KMA better.

6 hours ago, 4o66 said:

Can you give me an example URL for a mod that is packed this way? I will see if there is some way to detect better which file to use.

If you add the latest InterstellarFuelSwitch mod directly from the zip archive, it pulls the info from the CommunityResourcePack mod which is packed together with the main mod. Also, I have tried to reproduce the problem on the mod web sites but without success, so, to be honest, I can't remember if in the past I had this problem on the web sites as well.

Hi there =)

Big THANKS to 4o66 for the ongoing support!!

I hope the curse/curseforge fixes are working. I have change the handling of the xpaths to locate the needed mod infos on the website. A change of curse's website won't need a KMA update anymore (hopefully=).
KMA will update the xpatht information during the updatecheck if nessessary.

Bad news =/
I'm sitll not able to push out a new release please try the preview version of 4o66 here.

Other topics:
- No Version from Curse/CurseForge:
Unfortunatly Curse don't support a version number for the mods. There was a parsing of the version from the filename in older versions of KMA but it was to unrelaiable so i removed it during the 1.x to 2.0 update.

- Wrong version with mods and AVC version file:
This is a know issue. The probem here is that the mod has more than one AVC version file in its archive (or another mod within the archvie has one).
i haven't found a relaiable way to ditermin the right file yet...

- CKAN and KMA:
Yes there is a fixed version of the last code base, that implements reading and listing the ckan archived mods with all versions, depandencies, install instructions and more. But there is still a lot of work to do to integrate a download and version management.
I'll try to push it on a new GitHub branch as soon as possible.

Edited by MacTee

Hello Mac Tee, thank you for this wonderful tool! But I have an annoying problem to move the vertical scroll bar, to reach almost half of the list of mods, get me a big red "X" accompanied by an error message. I have installed many mods and I think that the program is limited to a number of mods. Send you links to the KSPMA.log file and the text that appears me in the error window.

Sorry for my bad english i use an automatic translator :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebrct2blo5tk7h1/KSPMA.log?dl=0    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cndce196ogwblvq/error%20KSPModAdmin.txt?dl=0

Thanks for all, 

Edited by Dux Aquila
add phrase

20 hours ago, Dux Aquila said:

I have an annoying problem to move the vertical scroll bar, to reach almost half of the list of mods, get me a big red "X" accompanied by an error message. I have installed many mods and I think that the program is limited to a number of mods.

I had the same issue lately. I was trying to add a few new mods into the KSPMA list, when the app threw an exception and the mod list window became inaccessible with a big red X on it. Also, most of the tabs on the top of the screen were missing. I had to remove a few mods from the KSPMA config manually with an editor, to recover my list.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dux Aquila said:

As I have seen, it is an error in the handling of a large number of mods, that the program can not afford.
I'm using a combination of CKAN and this tool to manage the mods.
I hope that it soon fixed or updated!

On 4/29/2016 at 10:33 PM, basepart said:

I had the same issue lately. I was trying to add a few new mods into the KSPMA list, when the app threw an exception and the mod list window became inaccessible with a big red X on it. Also, most of the tabs on the top of the screen were missing. I had to remove a few mods from the KSPMA config manually with an editor, to recover my list.

Can one or both of you provide a link to your KSPModAdmin_aOS.cfg file? I would like to try and replicate this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.