Docking - with no RCS

So this is the challenge. Pretty straight forward. Your aim is to dock with another craft in orbit. I don't care where. You have to do this without using RCS at all. Just your main engine(s).

I'm not going to stipulate a bunch of rules. I will leave this to your own honesty. Mods are fine as long as they don't magically dock for you.

Some pics would be nice. Taking an existing design and removing all RCS thrusters would be an easy way to show authenticity too.

Honors Roll

===============================

Mazlem in Chaddun

Mazlem (again!) in MunBuggy

Me! In an RCS-less Orion, see below.

Launch

8681150388_ce57ca7559_c.jpg

Approach

8681151470_c77c076d7d_c.jpg

Parked

8681152474_825062e1fd_c.jpg

Aligned

8680043301_980e289dc4_c.jpg

Docked

8680044923_f2d926dca9_c.jpg

Edited by bsalis

LOL I did this a while back when I was learning to dock, technically - the first attempt was a real screw-up and resulted in my wasting my entire stock of RCS and having to sync orbits with the station again... the second time, I managed it, using the main thrusters only...

Not something I'd like to repeat though... without the RCS, that last few metres gets fiddly (hint: keep the ship short so it can rotate quickly without RCS and don't take too big an engine for the last stage).

Yeah, a short ship makes things easier. Its not THAT hard though. Select the docking port as target select "control from here" on your docking port and make good use of the artificial horizon.

Have the target and the prograde symbol aligned perfectly in the centre of it.

my worse docking experience was trying to dock a giant octopus with a large needle... neither with RCS

Both crafts weighting more than 20t and having more than 900kN of thrust

i felt proud after achieving it

Haven't got pics but I did this when my tug ran out of monopropellant, and I wasn't going to give up, but it was hard. Harder was docking my tug with a fuel tank attached, completely unbalanced. ;)

Yeah, don't have pics either, but I did it once on a lander I forgot to stick RCS on (it had monopropelant Tanks ;) ), But even worse - the Docking port was in the same direction as the engines. So you would have to get to a good position, fly toward the target port, cut power, turn around and hope ;)

Built this little guy just for you Bsalis!

Launching

noRCSdock1.jpg

Burning for orbit

noRCSdock2.jpg

Backing it in (I of course wasn't lined up quite right and had to make a few corrections)

noRCSdock3.jpg

Docked! Funny enough that's my fuel station but it was empty. :P

noRCSdock4.jpg

Since the ship still had fuel though I sent Chaddun home

noRCSdock5.jpg

Landed a bit short of the VAB

noRCSdock6.jpg

Edited by Mazlem

I've done this a few times, from running out of RCS. I did it once with a robotic mission, which was over 80 tons in mass - that was a real pain, since it was so slow to turn. In the end I just pointed at the docking point and went about 1m/s, because everything was rotating randomly, and got lucky.

Built this little guy just for you Bsalis!

Thanks Mazlem, looks great. Using a docking port at the back end is a neat idea too. I'll start that Honors Roll now.

Glad to see someone actually setting out to do the challenge, rather than posting a story like "This one time at Duna Space Camp..."

I was driving around with the MunBuggy an decided to do this challenge again using that. :cool: Took a bit more work cause it doesn't have any computer controls. Got it up an docked with the Munsion Junction station, refueled an sent it back down. It came back with less fuel than when I started but hey that's what the refueling station is for. :P

BuggyDocking1.jpg

BuggyDocking2.jpg

BuggyDocking3.jpg

BuggyDocking4.jpg

BuggyDocking5.jpg

Congrats again Mazlem!

It's good after you do this couple of times and feel confident doing it. Since it opens th option of docking smaller craft that don't have RCS, or building small craft without it.

You don't need RCS for anything under 50 tons, ever, so long as the docking port is aligned with the cockpit/engines. I stopped putting RCS boosters on my landers/re-orbit vehicles a long time ago. Just use smartass (or do by hand) and hit REV (-) and TGT (+) until you get your "rendezvous max distance" to under 2 meters, then just let it drift - no SAS, no RCS, no fancy alignment procedures, just pure raw ugly bumping.

If by "RCS" you mean translation... I rarely use translation at all; slowly work at aligning.

*Well, I removed rotpower so I need rcs to maneuver in my designs

It is actually easier than it sounds... but I can see how translation can turn docking into childsplay.

• 1 month later...

In my humble opinion with some patience I think its actually easier to dock without RCS. Since you don't get knocked out of orbit by the RCS thrusts.

I did this earlier. I had just updated to 0.20.2, so all my parts were stock. I orbited up a docking ring. But then I realized I had no power generation on it (it had a drone body). So I went to take up some power and some Kerbals to sit up there as well.

I used only my poodle engine and use of the nav ball and the target velocity indicator. I had planned to use RCS, but I had forgotten to add any (whoops).

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got that by doing my moon exploration adventures story (in my sig)

wasn't that hard after all, docked in first try. well if magnetism would be off, then I would have had a bit more problems :)

3d6juos.png

zUUT7up.png

Also I feel that something is totaly off in this sentence please correct me if i am wrong.

"then I would have had a bit more problems"

• 10 months later...