Rune's Slightly Used Vehicles

Rune

Ran into another issue when assembling the base on Minmus. Got the box down, detached the base modules, all that, but when I detached the rover, the wheels refused to work, saying that they were "Blocked". I briefly attempted to correct this via safe file editing, but in the end I was on Minmus, and so assembled the base in a maddened dance of reaction wheels. Hooray for low gravity!

I had success with the new base at Minmus, with a few Kraken moments as well.  After assembling the base, docking the Orca would make the whole base rear up and bodyslam the already fraglie landing legs :confused: My rover wheels show blocked, but the base construction was easy enough in low grav.  Also, when landing with a crew transfer ship the wings would 'splode off of the Orca!  I had to enable unbreakable joints to land near it, not sure what's up with that.

Overall, with my Kraken attacks aside, nice base update!

Edit:  I have since landed several times with no issues :cool:

Edited by PointySideUp

8 hours ago, SingABrightSong said:

Ran into another issue when assembling the base on Minmus. Got the box down, detached the base modules, all that, but when I detached the rover, the wheels refused to work, saying that they were "Blocked". I briefly attempted to correct this via safe file editing, but in the end I was on Minmus, and so assembled the base in a maddened dance of reaction wheels. Hooray for low gravity!

Crap, I totally forgot to check that! Yup, the rover broke. Thankfully, I just tested a quick fix, which may or may not have unintended consequences. I'll try to update the file on KerbalX later, but just so you know, moving the wheels half a tick outwards, and the reaction wheels inwards, fixes things.

Rune. You want to know the best part? All the rovers that I have deployed everywhere in my save broke, too, and those can't be field-fixed. :(

@Rune what do you put in your cargo hauler that you have in Cupcakes thread? Your little monoprop tugs, spare engines or just more cargo? Looks way better than any of my haulers. I think I might need to "borrow" your connection setup between the hauler and the boxes.... :D

Edited by Oddbin

On 3/10/2016 at 5:51 AM, Rune said:

An age of declining budgets is upon us:

Rune. The drag is strong with this one, though... 4.4km/s to make a lousy 75km orbit.

Rune, did you think of putting a REALLY WIDE procedural fairing on that thing? The extra weight likely kills the drag reduction, tho....

On 12/5/2016 at 11:07 AM, Frank_G said:

Put your rover to a good test. I managed to block my rovers wheels in the field, by pushing the suspension to far. And thy dont recover...

Working on it. So far I've found everything mostly works, with the exception that the legs in the corridors really like to blow up unless you deploy them upside down. And maybe the Hab module will need an uprighting system like the lab and the refinery, because under kerbin gravity, again, the legs choose to blow up instead of uprighting it like they did beore. And I'm afraid it lacks a smidge of reaction wheel power to put itself up, but I've got to try using the rover and/or terrain to "be creative". Still, I'm a dumbass and forgot (again) to upload the file while I was at work, meaning now I won't have a fast enough internet connection to put it up until tomorrow. Yup, the one at home is so crappy right now KerbalX times out loading a file... ;.;

18 hours ago, Oddbin said:

@Rune what do you put in your cargo hauler that you have in Cupcakes thread? Your little monoprop tugs, spare engines or just more cargo? Looks way better than any of my haulers. I think I might need to "borrow" your connection setup between the hauler and the boxes.... :D

The most popular cargo are a couple of ore tanks, mostly because then I have 30mT of extra propellant to move the base pack on tow, or fuel for an Orca to go down with the refinery, or something like that. Of course, any one of my base modules would fit, too, in case you want to do minimal expansions.

11 hours ago, ibanix said:

Rune, did you think of putting a REALLY WIDE procedural fairing on that thing? The extra weight likely kills the drag reduction, tho....

That would be a >20m radius fairing... I think the area would be so big, I would see no drag reduction, never mind the weight. And in any case, where would I put the rockets then? The go inside the ring! :wink:

Rune. Never mind the 40m radius model...

Hmm hey @Rune I'm not sure if you've done any experimentation with this toroidal hinge design yet, but I thought you might like to experiment with it yourself:

Spoiler

I haven't tested this in U5 yet but I've heard that the random docking port nulrefs have been fixed. The basic concept with this is a friction-less station hinge. I thought you might like peeking at this if you haven't see it yet. :)

On 13/5/2016 at 5:23 PM, Rune said:

Still, I'm a dumbass and forgot (again) to upload the file while I was at work, meaning now I won't have a fast enough internet connection to put it up until tomorrow. Yup, the one at home is so crappy right now KerbalX times out loading a file... ;.;

Better late than never, right? Updated file with working rover is up now. Which is kind of pointless,since I'm 90% sure the Hab module needs that up-righting attachment for Kerbin gravity fields and higher. Still, progress!

On 13/5/2016 at 6:18 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

Hmm hey @Rune I'm not sure if you've done any experimentation with this toroidal hinge design yet, but I thought you might like to experiment with it yourself:

Sounds cool, but I kind of step away form anything that would stop working if I timewarped with it for, say, an interplanetary transfer. That said, I like the engineering solutions in the vid.

Rune. Why not spin the hub anyway? Makes for interesting dockings. :wink:

So, how do you usually haul your subassemblies to orbit? Drive pods in particular are rather tricky to fit, having to be attached to the sides of a large cargo bay and offset so as to actually remain within the bounds of the cargo space.

Speaking of atomic rocket motors, I hear you have a new nuclear tug. Aside from the job of transporting base packs for colonization, I think that sort of thing has lots of other uses. Attach an Asteroid Refinery module, hook up some Drive Pods, and head off potato wrangling.

SingABrightSong. I may have just accepted a contract to redirect a Class E potatoroid.

5 hours ago, He_162 said:

I love your selection man! I find inspiration from all over for some of my craft, and I'll take some inspiration from you as well! Nice job!

Thanks! :)

3 hours ago, SingABrightSong said:

So, how do you usually haul your subassemblies to orbit? Drive pods in particular are rather tricky to fit, having to be attached to the sides of a large cargo bay and offset so as to actually remain within the bounds of the cargo space.

Speaking of atomic rocket motors, I hear you have a new nuclear tug. Aside from the job of transporting base packs for colonization, I think that sort of thing has lots of other uses. Attach an Asteroid Refinery module, hook up some Drive Pods, and head off potato wrangling.

SingABrightSong. I may have just accepted a contract to redirect a Class E potatoroid.

Usually, I put them inside a Claymore, like everything else. The drive pods are a bit trickier, as you say, but you can put four behind a quadcoupler if you build girders and/or use offset.

As to moving class E's... I think I could say a lot on the matter, actually. RSUV's recommended method is to attach a couple of long tanks to a refinery pod, and add drive pods in puller configuration until you have as much thrust as you need. Klaw Pods strategically positioned on the rock can provide enough attitude control to hold almost anything steady... but Fuel Dump 01 was towed into place by a lonely single nuke, mind you. And I think that is the flight that recovered the tug and the refinery in the second picture, BTW, making the whole thing reusable, because... why not? There's a kind of village growing up there, KAS be blessed. :)

wQ7ZknA.png

7a6kobI.png

hqa1wJ0.png

TDIc9Ci.png

Memzf30.png

Rune. One of my hardest achievements, ~1,500mT of fuel on LKO out of a 2,500mT rock with 60kN of thrust.

Edited by Rune

12 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

...good lord

That's a lot of boom-boom juice floating around.

I know right? Good thing potatoroids don't create too much lift inside an atmosphere... it wasn't that far from becoming a hole in the ground during the first aerobrake pass, when I found out that potatoroids do indeed have an "up" and a "forward", at least regarding aerodynamics.

12 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

That could fuel my entire grand tour infrastructure (with the possible exception of the currently-undesigned Eve ascent vehicle) three times over. I've got to start refining class-E asteroids.

Ok, I might have mislead you into thinking that was easy. Nothing farther from the truth, I'm sitting on an ungodly amount of money in the same save, and launching 1,500mT of Ore into orbit would have been much, much, much easier. And faster! Grabbing that rock took me more than a few RL months.

In total, I burned through some 400mT of propellant with a single nuke, which means I had a total burn time of about fifteen hours. And even planning those burns was no small feat, I rendezvoused the rock a few weeks out from Kerbin's SOI, and planned an ultra-efficient capture, using a Munar gravity assist to take care of more than half of my inclination, and aerobraking afterwards to bring the orbit nice and low over kerbin, once I was equatorial. The burns to take care of the last 20 degrees or so off inclination were murder, I tell you, and I made them from an almost Mun-crossing orbit.

Rune. Actually, figuring out the dV I burned is easy: dV=9.81*800*(2500/1900)=1,360m/s. More or less. At 0.025m/s2.

Edited by Rune

14 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

That does sound like it would be easier to just launch 3 500-tonne NPMs (Nuclear Propulsion Modules) rather than doing the asteroid refining. But where's the fun in that?

Exactly my feelings on the matter ! :D

I was tinkering with turning the current box into a bottom-loading glider, so she goes up like a rocket, uses a intermediate stage for transfer, and then aerocaptures Duna and lands.  I don't have a working craft for either the ascent or the landing phase yet though...

Danny

3 hours ago, CrashTestDanny said:

So @Rune... Have you got a solution for deploying this to someplace like Duna?

Danny

3 hours ago, PointySideUp said:

I'm thinking an Orca would do the job,  I really liked the old CRADLES system too :) 

Yup, Duna is really close as far as dV goes, so if anything add a bit of ore in the cargo bay of the Orca (you can process it with the refinery module on flight), and you should be more than set. The rocket VTOL landing system was meant for such a place!

2 hours ago, CrashTestDanny said:

I was tinkering with turning the current box into a bottom-loading glider, so she goes up like a rocket, uses a intermediate stage for transfer, and then aerocaptures Duna and lands.  I don't have a working craft for either the ascent or the landing phase yet though...

Danny

Something like the old CRADLE would be cool, I agree, but the new aerodynamic system really dislikes cylinders landing on their sides on atmosphere, and the new box is a really long cylinder. Too long to topple safely, too! Though maybe that is the beggining of an idea there... Still, the Orca would have the widest landing envelope you can think of: anywhere but Tylo and Eve (actually, if you want to use a lot of Orcas...).

Rune. I'm sure I could split the new base modules on two or three CRADLEs, so if I can, so could you! :)

Edited by Rune

1 hour ago, CrashTestDanny said:

Quick testing report:  There don't seem to be enough radiators to handle the ISRU with one conversion active.  I suspect this will get even worse if we get it on the ground and try to start the drills.

Danny

Hey, I go by the part descriptions, tell squad to fix them. 250+250kW should be enough to handle the 200kW of one conversion (even the max of 500kW), plus the 100+100 of two drills. Then again, I know, you get warnings... but I don't see them doing anything else other than warn and make the screen uglier. The drills will actually supply the refinery with tiny a fraction of what it needs to produce at 100% anyway, so things should be OK. Sure you have turned them on? That is a thing you have to do now...

In other news, success! It has stopped trying to blow up on me, finally. I only had to completely rebuild the wing... Plus, it lost the silly extra cabin. It is pretty much the same in every other respect, (MTOW ~180mT), so if anything a smidge more payload (~47mT). Soon™ on KerbalX!

CcvUAcd.png

59Du952.png

Rune. Slightly higher part count, but since KSP purrs like a kitten now on 64bit unity 5...

Edited by Rune

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.