Rune's Slightly Used Vehicles

Rune

euhm... wow. I am thoroughly amazed!:P you sure do know your SSTOs! it must have taken AGES to perfect all these crafts! about how many hours did it take to make all these crafts? 1000? more?

Thanks! I must say, I have been at it for a while, though not as much as you might think, the forums is a great place to learn from the best, as you yourself will find out I'm sure. And also, I kind of had my special advantage... I'm supposed to be studying this flight thing to make a living out of it! :blush:

And speaking of SSTO's, HatBat has been so kind as to make a Showcase video featuring all variants of this craft. Big kudos to him! It is also kind of awesome because it is a showcase not done by the builder, so you get to see the reaction of the average kerbal upon first getting this craft :D. Here you go, though it's also on the OP as of now, with ample credits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flVx7OE2Z5I

Rune. I think I have his permission to link. Pretty sure. Right? ^^'

I have a request I'd like to make (if you take requests that is). I require a lander with at least 10-11km/s delta-v, preferably towards the higher end, a kerbin thrust to weight ratio of 4 minimum on any and all stages and a maximum mass of 40t. It requires 1 kerbal as payload and ideally a docking port, but that may be too much. I have KW Rocketry available if you require it.

Thanks! I must say, I have been at it for a while, though not as much as you might think, the forums is a great place to learn from the best, as you yourself will find out I'm sure. And also, I kind of had my special advantage... I'm supposed to be studying this flight thing to make a living out of it! :blush:'

what do you mean you are making a living out of it? are you studying to be an aerospace engineer? if you are, that's SO COOOOOL!:D:D:wink::D:D

I have a request I'd like to make (if you take requests that is). I require a lander with at least 10-11km/s delta-v, preferably towards the higher end, a kerbin thrust to weight ratio of 4 minimum on any and all stages and a maximum mass of 40t. It requires 1 kerbal as payload and ideally a docking port, but that may be too much. I have KW Rocketry available if you require it.

Wow. You don't ask for much, do you? That's twice what's required for Eve, and it seems like you have been playing with the new planets mod. Want to tackle the hardest landing suggested by scott? Anyhow, basically, that's undoable in 40mT I think. The T/W requirement is just too much, and having to get 11km/s on chemical stages... I may try out for fun, and see what kind of a huge monster I get. Nukes are out, of course... T/W is the magic word. I think RS-78's are the way to go. Or mainsails.

what do you mean you are making a living out of it? are you studying to be an aerospace engineer? if you are, that's SO COOOOOL!:D:D:wink::D:D

Yup, exactly that. To be precise, "Ingeniería Técnica Aeronáutica, especialidad en Aeronaves", since I study in Spain. It's mostly hard, though! :)

Rune. Oh, and mechanical engineering too, but that's kind of new, and mostly the same stuff. 2 for 1!

It's a tough one. I did eventually end up with something that worked, 9.7km/s of delta-v in 40.2t. It lands on Thud just fine with Mechjeb's translatron as you guessed. Unfortunately the landing autopilot can't seem to cope with the ridiculous gravity and mountainous terrain so i'll struggle to make the descent any more efficient, but I never intended to return anyway. I'm actually working a tour of the whole Sentar system, hence the rather tight mass budget for the Thud landing stage. I'm using two landers total, one for Thud which is single-use, staged and cannot return, and one for everywhere else which is single-stage and refueled after each landing. It was also quite challenging to design because the balance between a slow, efficient atmospheric ascent vehicle Skelton and Erin require and what is essentially a Tylo landing on Ringle in a single vehicle is a tough one. The full Sentar stage is 270t, with another 900t in the two parts of the transfer stage. Working out the final few teething problems with the launcher I'm using to put 450t parts into space is the only thing holding me back now but i've made good progress and I think I'm 8 struts away from success, assuming something else doesn't crop up when I fix the issue I have now.

I'm actually really curious to know what whoever does the first planet-factory-enabled grand tour has to use to make it a possibility. It has to be at least 50km/s of delta-v to do everything. The only way I can see that being met within the constraints of not crashing the game is to use Ion engines and a bunch of mini vehicles to do some of the more taxing transfers like Ablate and Moho and having the main body of the ship do Eve -> Jool -> Sentar, with sub-craft making all the other landings and transfers. Still gotta be a couple of thousand tons in LKOat a minimum. I guess it would depend on how far you could minaturize the Thud stage, I think with a couple of optimizatiosn to my design - namely bambaragus staging and a reduction in TWR for the lower stages where I'm not in the final descent yet - I could see a land and return vehice in 55-60t. Eve stage is realistically another 20t minimum even with excellent optimization and some jetpacking, and it's not like those are the only tough landings. Overall, a seriously, seriously difficult challenge. I'm a long way off try that one, that's for sure!

• 3 weeks later...

In regards to your Bat'leth SSI shuttle, you meantion "...the ship has a tendency to not stick to exactly where you are pointing."

My SSI shuttle does exactly the same thing, and it is what made me dump it on that community in exasperation. It "Hunts" around randomly. Do you have any clues as to the cause? Some of my other heavily clipped, small & dense designs show this tendency too, albeit in a much more subtle way. I'm thinking it's a large mass / short fuselage problem.

In regards to your Bat'leth SSI shuttle, you meantion "...the ship has a tendency to not stick to exactly where you are pointing."

My SSI shuttle does exactly the same thing, and it is what made me dump it on that community in exasperation. It "Hunts" around randomly. Do you have any clues as to the cause? Some of my other heavily clipped, small & dense designs show this tendency too, albeit in a much more subtle way. I'm thinking it's a large mass / short fuselage problem.

Yup, exactly that. In our over-clipped designs, we tend to not take much attention to longitudinal stability. You really need some lateral torque on the tail to get you back on track when you deviate from "nose forwards". It's actually one of the reasons flying wings never really took off until there were computers to handle the control inputs, they tended to want to fly sideways. Well, mostly fall.

Anyhow, to put it simply, there is a reason for tails and big honking vertical stabilizers. A bit less in KSP, admittedly, (the nose creates no aerodynamic "shadow", so the tail can be buried in the fuselage), but it still needs a decent arm to create the rectifying torque. Think lawn dart, or an arrow.

As further thoughts on the subject, and considering the weird nature of KSP's short-of-fly-by-wire-but-not-quite SAS system, perhaps you could do the same job with a control surface on the nose. Very counter-intuitive for me, since the resulting thing should be inherently unstable, but KSP seems to work very well with canard configurations, and those are just as unstable in the real world. You are bound to get a very agile ship at least on the z axis. Just a suggestion so you can get over the "most of my mass is on the engines at the back" problem.

Rune. That could be interesting to pilot... I need fresh kerbals to try this! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The old thread went up in flames in the great crash of '13, but I was able to salvage something from google. Consider me a one-man company in which anyone can be a honorary test pilot. You'll get kudos for that! (If you don't break my beautiful machine in the process... or maybe even then :wink:)

It is a work in progress, of course, and new ones will be added as I post them, generally to the top of the sections because newer is usually better. All stock, even if the screenshots show some mods (I do play with them). If you find something I missed, a shout is appreciated and I will clean the download or fix whatever needs fixing. So without further due... the sales pitch! :)

Welcome, fellow space traveller!! Here at R-SUV, only the finest and flight-tested vehicles out of an actual aerospace engineer-in-training. And they sometimes fly good, even! (Some, but not much, piloting skill required. After all, I can fly them, so they shouldn't be too difficult).

SPACEPLANE HANGAR SECTION

- Broadsword SSTO shuttle

Hello there! 0.23 came, and with it the awesome RAPIER engine. Time to get some SSTOs going! I went for elegance and utilitarianism on this one: It is not only beautiful, but it actually does something useful! It carries with it up to 10mT of payload in a bay that is very accessible and spacious. In fact, to show this usefulness while I was testing the hell out of it, I went ahead and designed a bundle of subassemblies (included) to assemble a deep-space vessel (about 5km/s delta-v in my version!) with independent science lander, and went through all the 7 missions (there was a faulty nuclear engine that had to be replaced and returned to the ground due to a clipping probe core messing with fuel flow ^^') from runway takeoff to runway takeoff. I even documented it quite extensively, check out the imgur album for a somewhat chronological graphical account. Plenty of MMU action in there, since I designed the payloads without any kind of control to save on parts, and just a couple of docking ports to grab it with MMU's for assembly: I think I get points for "NASA style"!

http://i.imgur.com/cSj7GmX.png

Now some juicy details, because I'm proud at how well this all worked out: it's simple, it's elegant, and it performs brilliantly.

The traditional wing+tail arrangement gives it very good handling characteristics, and a low wing loading means it is an excellent glider, maintaining the agility of much smaller crafts. Combined with the clearance the raised tail gives you, it's very easy to take off and land, and flying it is a dream. The new ASAS doesn't always stick, but after a few tries I can usually lock >45º pitch headings with ease at all altitudes.

The fuel is a bit on the tight side, though, with the maximum payload: make sure you airhog below 30kms as much as you can before letting the RAPIERS transition to rocket power! That happens a bit after 30kms always, and by then you should aim to have >1600m/s speed, with a healthy vertical component (but RAPIERS give it such an awesome T/W on rocket power, you don't have to worry too much about that last one). Also, the part count is 150 without payload, so pretty good on that front for potato computers.

Some more interesting details on the payloads... the fuel on all payloads starts forbidden, just so you don't use it before you want to, and so it doesn't falsify your fuel readings, but you could of course use a drop tank to increase range, the fuel flow would work nicely. The payloads are also really part-limited, with the highest part count on the lander at 30 (and that's because of all the science instruments), so the resulting space station/deep space vessel is also quite light, at something like 100 parts in my configuration, which is enough for a roundtrip to Jool or Duna. The lander should be enough for Duna, too, and it is designed so you can do multiple landings, return the science to the ship, and then process and transmit it back home.

IMGUR ALBUM:

http://imgur.com/a/viItB

DOWNLOADS:

Broadsword SSTO shuttle

Subassembly Pack

- Sabre

The first addition from 0.22 (though old craft do still work): a low tech SSTO! It's a nice file to have if you are in career mode and don't have yet access to the higher tiers but want to start fooling around with serious SSTO's. Limited to tier 5 (the first time you get airbreather parts), so no docking ports on the file, but it has RCS to approach other ships (so it can do crew transfers at LKO). Add a docking port as soon as you get them below the materials bay to refuel it for flights beyond LKO. Oh, and full science compliment for that tier, of course :)

http://i.imgur.com/3LjXiUp.png

It's quite heavy for a single jet with all that rocket fuel, so it'll take forever to climb to 10k (where the jet engine starts to become crap and you have to light the rocket engine and start behaving like a rocket), but you could always speed things up by doing some short bursts with the rocket (you waste fuel, though, and carry more excess jet fuel to orbit).

However, the glide characteristics when empty, or the flying characteristics at all times, are awesome. And the fuel load allows you to buzz the tower a few times before going to orbit, so be sure to check it out, and don't worry too much about reentry precision. Well, perhaps a little because those jets won't allow you to correct trajectory when you are going real fast and a little fuel goes a long way. But you have the endurance to cross oceans, albeit slowly.

IMGUR ALBUM:

http://imgur.com/a/GkJde

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/p0wveqfgfp4lgly/SSTO+MkII+Sabre.craft

- White Dart

Hey guys! The sexiest addition to the SSTO fleet is here (in my humble opinion, of course), and because the design went so well, the engineers at R-SUV went ahead and modified the prototype to create two different serial models to appeal to the discerning customer, a VTOL and a nuclear powered long-range scout. Not that the prototype is short range (flown right, there is enough for a KSO mission and return to runway), but it is equipped with landing gear to allow tail landings on airless moons. But, you know, the discerning customer, mostly wants something that looks good and fast. This achieves both objectives with a minimal part count and awesome performance. And I seriously don't really know how I got it to look to... well, clean. I just love it. Ladies and gentlemen, the SSTO previously known as Mk XIX:

http://i.imgur.com/ZvyRt0q.jpg

With the latest in Stabojet Technology to avoid flameout disasters, the whole family is an atmospheric airhogger that can get to terrifying speeds and altitudes thanks to the good T/W ratio on jets. As such, the main rocket propulsion should only be used to provide 200-400 m/s on the climb to orbit: Milk those turbojets as long as you can! The prototype also has amazing T/W on rocket power, so if you don't like tedious waits on the way to orbit, that is definitely your version. It also has somewhat cleaner lines, with less parts due to the missing subsystems. But if you are after efficiency or plain VTOL awesomeness, the other two versions get the added performance at the cost of a low T/W ratio outside of the atmosphere, so remember to make sure you keep your apoapsis in front of you during the climb to orbit with them.

Update! HatBat has been so kind as to make a Showcase video featuring all variants of this craft. Big kudos to him! It is also kind of awesome because it is a showcase not done by the builder, so you get to see the reaction of the average kerbal upon first getting this craft :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flVx7OE2Z5I

A few comments on the video:

-Yes, I will give you the military version, but only if you ask for it, since that belongs, at most, to my skunkworks thread. R-SUV is pretty much a whiny hippie about not selling weapons of war.

-Hatbat makes a nice job piloting, but there is some room for improvements (sorry! ^^'). Specifically, he makes the climb to orbit too steep above 20km, you should use that time to build more speed with atmospheric engines.

-Have I already mentioned he is a great guy for doing this? I find it quite annoyingly difficult to do videos myself, but I think you guys will enjoy it being done. So like his video or subscribe to his channel or something!

IMGUR ABLUM:

http://imgur.com/a/F8hBc

DOWNLOADS:

White Dart Prototype - Beginners and casual flights up to KSO.

Munar version - Nuke powered! Likely interplanetary in fact, but you know, cramped cockpits. Remember to airhog like there is no tomorrow.

VTOL version - LKO only, advanced players. You could switch the jet engines with LV-909's to achieve low-gravity or Duna VTOL landings.

(NEW!!)0.23 version - 0.23 version equipped with RAPIER engines. Much lower T/W on jet power, but slightly better delta-v than the original prototype. Can't hold a candle against the old nuke version, but it has almost no clipping going on, and it's only 50 parts. I'll call it progress, grudgingly. Oh, and it's a rocket-VTOL under kerbin gravity. For the lolz.

- Bat'leth Shuttlecraft

So, with ample inspiration from the SSI thread, I went about creating the kerbal equivalent of a shuttle from Star Trek. And if I may say so myself, the results were great! The test flight was from runway, to VAB, then 120 circular orbit, then back to VAB roof. Because of reasons. I must warn you all, it's a complicated and demanding ship, and it's still not perfectly balanced. The reaction wheels allow full control at all times, even ignoring assimetrical flameouts and unbalaced fuel loads, but the ship has a tendency to not stick to exactly where you are pointing. Lots of manual flying to be precise on burns. Also, although I added boost engines, the full potential of this craft on range is very dependant on a good climb to orbit. The way this works best for this craft, is to level at about 25kms, build speed more or less horizontal until 1,500m/s, then light the rockets (I did so at 27,000m, see the album for details) in a soft climb to build vertical speed with good T/W, and then hope you can reach 1,800m/s or thereabouts before flameouts force you to go under 50% thrust (at around 30kms). Then turn off the jets and throttle back up, this is where you might turn on the boost engines, but I had a good trajectory so I didn't bother in the test flight.

http://i.imgur.com/ollmThq.png

When coming back down, there was a hairy moment when I turned on the VTOL engines where the craft pitched up like a wild bronco. I got scared as hell, but apparently all it wanted to do was to bleed off horizontal speed, and fast. So since it is a decent glider, I would advise to transition back to VTOL at low speeds, and with a decent clearance to the ground. Don't worry, I made it to the VAB in the end without quickload, so you should be able to do so too, I'm no piloting genius and I use a keyboard to play (and an unfamiliar keyboard this time). Without further due, the pics to prove my exploits, and the file I know you are waiting for. From pic 4 onwards on the album, that's the test flight, chronologically ordered, and without quickload used (but a jump to the SPH to fix a fuel line issue on the boost engines once on orbit). Oh, one final detail, I got around to pin a name on it. Putting my naming scheme next to obvious Start Trek inspiration yielded one equally obvious solution: ladies and gentelman, I am proud to present, the Bat'leth Shuttlecraft. :D

IMGUR ALBUM:

http://imgur.com/a/DAjck

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/n8mhj4upqk921j9/Bat'leth_Shuttlecraft.craft

- Razor

So, I've already previewed this one, but that is because I am quite proud of it. It's small, it's cute, and it packs quite a wallop. Like 2km/s left in the tank when you reach orbit.

http://i.imgur.com/vk7EtK0.jpg

Built taking advantage of extreme clipping technology, it sports a single jet so you don't have to worry against flameouts, 5 intakes to run it so you can climb to orbit efficiently, and a nuke engine as the main (and only) in-space powerplant. All tanks are accessible to refuel, even if the ones carrying oxidizer are invisible (it's the reason the aviation tanks are upside down, not just looks), and it has one port of each size available. Plus, it's equipped to perform tail landing on airless moons (the normal landing gear is operated through action groups). And the best thing... it clocks in at 45 parts, so you can actually use it in your game near to stations without having to resort to NASA supercomputers (as if NASA had those!) to run it without lag.

The flight instructions are rather simple: careful when taking off, since you can hit the runway if you pull up too sharply, get to 45º until you hit 20 kms, then level off somewhat and gain speed until you get the first flameout at about 27-28kms and >1,500m/s. Then turn on the nuke, throttle back a bit (about 2/3rds works) to relight the jet, and build vertical velocity (you want at least 100m/s to get out of air quickly). Above 30kms you will have trouble to keep the jet working at more than half throttle, so turn it off and throttle back up to finish orbit insertion on the nuke, it should be simple. Circularize at desired altitude, and desired altitude can be Minmus orbit if you so wish. One-way interplanetary travels are also supported, but it's rather cramped in the cabin for that. Reentry and landing should be a breeze since it is pretty stable in atmosphere, and you have plenty of leftover liquid fuel after running the nukes dry, so go get somewhere interesting.

IMGUR ABLUM:

http://imgur.com/a/GZ5ww

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/1kz3sh7lam3d35a/Razor.craft

(NEW!!)0.23 version - 0.23 version equipped with RAPIER engines. Basically, better at everything, especially rocket T/W. Still a wild bronco, but fun and perfectly doable with some occasional backflips. This one handled the conversion beatifully, and the new tweakables means you can start with a nice skid landing gear deployed without RUDs happening on the runway. What the hell, go ahead and launch from the VAB with this one, then land it on top of it on the way back. It's what I did.

- Grasshopper

Lots of kudos to Cupcake (you might find the design reminds you of his... which is quite normal, since he inspired this with his VTOL's). Here it is, ain't he gorgeous?

http://i.imgur.com/6cewuj3.jpg

And it's very functional, too. Pretty easy to get to orbit, you just have to airhog a bit before using the nuke, but it is all explained on the video anyhow (the first one I did, BTW). And once in space... well, it has the delta-v to get to the Mun, land, and then get back to Kerbin. You also have an easy time landing it afterwards, since you can pop chutes for a hands-free descent. Just one thing to have in mind: brake under 100m/s before you hit 500 meters over the surface with the jet engines, or the chutes opening will rip it to pieces.

And while you are on the ground... well, it roves! Very stable, too, and it... well, it leans to where you are going when you turn. It was completely unintentional, but now I love that feature. It reminds me of the tumbler from the batman movies. It also has a docking port and RCS, so you can refuel it at a depot. The docking port is also handy to correctly position the navball in the direction of thrust... and honestly, I don't know what to add. Have fun getting it places!

IMGUR ALBUM: (Commented Munar mission)

http://imgur.com/a/aMISS

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./?68pzeiczzx6kbia

- Hopper

A small and easy jet with minimal complexity and good looks, in principle it was labelled "short range jet"... and it got to the north pole on the inaugural flight with enough fuel for a return. A shame I'm not the best pilot out there when it comes to landings, managed to clip the wings on the ground and capsize, stranding our brave kerbal... Watch it when you apply breaks is the lesson! Thankfully, I stranded him next to another plane with an empty seat, so only financial damages. The plane was, however, designed to be stable, and as a result, ASAS is there only to serve as an autopilot, the plane flies much better without it thanks to inherent aerodynamic stability. It doesn't turn too fast, but that's intentional: no more control than it's needed, so you have a hard time crashing it. Perfect as a personal jet for those weekend escapades!

http://i.imgur.com/jotgRui.png

Imgur album:

http://imgur.com/a/mLiAv

Download:

http://www./?a81wxer4usut3ra

And because this game is about rockets, I should really have a section on them, shouldn't I?

VAB SECTION

- Heinlein SSTO family

So, I have done my fair share of winged, jet powered SSTO's. But deep in my heart, I've always had this feeling that "rockets are not planes". And indeed, they are much easier. Just watch your gravity turn profile, because SSTOing on chemical rockets is tight.

Besides, with the new ASAS, keeping winged SSTO's on a good climb is much more labor-intensive. So if you want to get to orbit soon and with minimal hassle, perhaps do a crew rotation for a space station, or just getting an awesome lander up there to refuel and take somewhere else, these are your ships (4.5-4.8km/s with the tanks full, so orbit is halfway to anywhere if you can refuel there). Without further due, the Heinlein family of rocket-powered spiky fun. Enjoy!

http://i.imgur.com/DCakn2J.jpg

From left to right, the Mk III, Mk II, and Mk IV. Don't ask about the Mk I... it was experimental. They are pretty similar between each other in functionality, though. The Mk II has the tightest delta-v budget (you could always deorbit on RCS, plenty of that), and the Mk IV has the most reserve, so if you are not a skilled pilot and don't get that "gravity turn" thing all that well, that is the one I would recommend. Careful about the landing that one, though: you will need some leftover fuel (fumes) to do a tiny 5m/s reduction in speed just before touchdown. The other two should descend on chutes without problems, though I would still save some fumes just in case, and obviously the Mk III is the one to use for crew rotations.

IMGUR ALBUM:

http://imgur.com/a/U8THr

DOWNLOADS:

Heinlein Mk II

Heinlein Mk III

Heinlein Mk IV

- Pike

Hey guys! Something new for the VAB... a SSTO! But this time fully VTOL. I've been using a B9 version for some time, but I always wanted to try it in stock, and with more efficient engines. The result is cute, in an utilitarian short of way. And yes, those are a lot of intakes. Without further due, let me present you the Pike SSTO:

http://i.imgur.com/Cxa6Uvj.png

And looks aside, performance is quite amazing. It is a true airhogger, milk those engines without worries since the center one will flameout first, at about 1,700m/s and 30kms up or so. When you can't keep it lit anymore, you can continue on nukes alone to orbit for maximum efficiency, but if you need a bit more oomph to land on, say, Duna, the boost radial engines will take your T/W to something close to one on kerbin. Everything action-grouped as usual, so take a look at them before flying, and chutes to ensure a soft landing where there's some atmosphere to help... and that you land with the landing gear pointed the right way.

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/8s78zvq00kj8u2o/Pike.craft

IMGUR ALBUM:

http://imgur.com/a/n65Z2

- Queen Kerman class

Looking for a trip in style? Perhaps you just built a beach resort in Laythe, and are lacking a way to move the customers there? Well look no further! Sporting luxurious individual cabins for 16 passengers, and a central (unpressurized) meeting place along the spine of the ship, the Queen Kerman class was designed from the start to take your kerbals where they want to go, in style. The passengers can pass away the time contemplating the stars, or they can play space poker with their neighbours in the 0-G 0-pascals lounge (strict spacesuit etiquette!).

Low gravity moon landings are supported with the optional landing gear module, and a large orange drop tank on the back (half empty by the time you make orbit) ensures you have enough gas to get there (it can most likely do any one destination, at lest one way with decent navigational skills) and back again. Duna, Eve, and Laythe, the reference missions, should be doable without aerobraking, even, you've got on the order of 5km/s to play with before you think about refuelling, 2km/s without the drop tank.

http://i.imgur.com/pUtU1zt.png

And if the worst happens, well, there is an emergency bailout system that detaches each cabin so they can land by chute... and good luck saving the pilot then! He has emergency rocket thrusters to try a powered emergency landing, but he will have to prove his piloting skills to walk away. The passengers should be fine, though, as long as the planet they are going to be stranded on has an atmosphere.

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/bymw7xov6x35rzt/Queen_Kerman_Class_Cruise_Ship.craft

IMGUR ALBUM (Ignore the skipper on the pictures there, it's the prototype, now you can drop it as soon as orbital insertion is complete):

http://imgur.com/a/uYbw2

- Aurora

Why just do something, if you can both do it and look cool? That's the design philosophy behind the Aurora. A 3-man orbital craft, the base model is a three-man spacecraft that can reach most medium-to-low Kerbin orbits. Let me show you, because it's selling point is both simplicity and looks:

The various launch vehicles, standing proud on the pad:

http://i.imgur.com/nlngpNY.jpg

Yeah, It's based on the concept of the F9-R. The capsule looks kind of like a Dragon (and works just like one with an abort system feeding off the main tanks), and the rocket is a two-staged reusable booster. If by some miracle you can get the second stage to orbit with you (it should run out just before, but I'm not the best pilot out there and I keep the fairing on until 2nd stage sep), don't worry, it's probed so you can deorbit it on residuals (You could want to move fuel to it to take it to orbit so you can refuel it later for interplanetary transfers, who knows). The capsule itself has like 1km/s in delta-v, so don't worry, she can make anything short of a lunar flyby... which she can do still, but it requires some proficient flying and has tight margins, a Minmus flyby will leave you with fumes on the tanks after a reasonably efficient launch. Also a lot of shenanigans like scientific instruments and an electrical system with lights, whatever I could think of.

If you want just a bit more performance, to offset your pilot errors, or perhaps do a Mun landing mission, there is another version with additional boosters, both liquid for lunar landing missions and solid for "just a bit more punch", that is there for you. Or servicing a KSO station, whatever floats your boat.

The coolest thing of it all is the useless fairing and the unnecessary abort sequence. In a nominal launch you won't use it, but just for kicks, launch the thing and the press, with full throttle engaged, 9 (jettison fairings), 0 (abort proper) and, once you are a safe distance away, backspace (chutes and landing gear, make sure to throttle down prior), and watch the pretty fireworks as you walk away unscathed. Guaranteed (*) to get you out of anything, including a pad abort under SRB power .

As to flight instructions, it's set up so you just have to press spacebar as fuel runs out to stage it (a rather spectacular second stage separation with the fairings blowing away, I must say), and optimal start of gravity turn is at about 10,000m, no throttling required along the way. I just explained the most complicated stuff which is the abort sequence... so yeah, that's basically it. There's a bunch more stuff action-grouped, but that's just for convenience, no preflight checks or nothing. As I said, simplicity and looks, the brain was sufficiently used during design.

Note the initial version I came up with had both the SRB's and just four LVT-45's on the core (there might be some pics of that in the album), and no reusability stuff. That is probably more efficient and effective, but you know what? This... is... KSP!!!

IMGUR ALBUM:

(A bunch more pictures I might update)

http://imgur.com/a/akDKk

DOWNLOAD:

Mark I two-stage version:

http://www./?w3mcktw6aq44u27

Mark II Long-range SRB version:

http://www./?eqwfepyb6bty4cv

Mark III Munar version (new!):

http://www./download/m7p7ws6rvupdnmx/Aurora_Mk_III_%28Stock%29.craft

*: Unless you actually need it to save your bacon, then we refuse any responsibility, because that's our thing.

- Eagle

So, I was thinking about dropping the modules of my base quite some time ago, and I remembered an old craft of mine, an Eagle lookalike (you know, from Space: 1999). I figured I could do much better nowadays, and perhaps a rebuild was in order. Well, IMO, it turned out all right:

http://i.imgur.com/Wq93DcQ.jpg

For an over-complicated way of landing the single base module on the ground, you really can't go much better than this. It's fully VTOL, of course, and the included launcher allows it to do Munar surface mission without refuelling. A word of advice, though: my first one is still on route to its first Munar landing. But I figure if it can sustain a burn with the VTOL engines, it's balanced enough for landing. Whether Delta-v is going to be enough will depend on how much I use the nukes, I think, but it should be more than enough if I can refuel on Munar orbit (which in my save I can), of course, either before or after the landing. I will update the pics as more capabilities are tested.

Imgur album (note the pictures of the very old 0.18 version, and how much better I am at building stuff :D):

http://imgur.com/a/N8Vss

Download:

http://www./download/c67mtwc68r4cq1z/Base_Skycrane.craft

- Project Phoebus (My take on the Apollo missions)

Hello there! Yes, I know, there are a gazillion of these out there. But have I already told you this beauty is only 230 parts on the pad?

http://i.imgur.com/YSk0ljx.png

The new lander jumped the part number a bit from the previous 200 parts. (I'm that OCD), but it is still very manageable for slow computers. The thing is, I've always liked Apollo replicas. But since I saw Munbug for the first time, I thought I had nothing better to offer people. Since then however, not only has Munbug become wildly popular (first ship that gets stickied and all that), it has also become a lag monster with about 1000 parts. What happens to people with potato computers, they can't get nice toys to play with? Well here I am to change that! But I also wanted the high fidelity and attention to detail that the Munbug family had, of course. And the building tricks! So a few weeks back, in a fit of inspiration, I put all the ideas together, and set about to create an Apollo replica with a tight budget in every way. I think I succeeded! And believe me, I was the first surprised when I noticed this thing actually worked as intended. :)

We warned, this ship is for players that know their stuff, and has tight margins all around. Just like the real thing! If you find yourself failing with a maneuver, you have probably already have and will have to abort the mission and start thinking up ways to save your kerbals. But now that that's out of the way, the nerdy details. First off, I knew this would be a mass-limited thing. I just couldn't afford more than 10 first stage tanks if I had to keep part count low. So, I had my first inspired idea of the day, and used the skippers as F-1 equivalents. That meant poodles for J-2's, and they actually fit the part quite well. With that, I just had 11 tanks with 11 engines for the whole booster, and I could even afford some fairing eye-candiness. However, a small rocket means a light payload. Then again, NASA also struggled to fit a lunar mission inside the Saturn's V fairing :sticktongue:. But by keeping things light and simple (and very tight margins on the lander), we made do, and not one bit of realism suffered for it: as an example, the CM hangs from the fairing, and is not connected to the lander in any way, just like the real thing.

Then of course I came up with a very stupid-looking lander, but some time off the project, a look at the various other apollo replicas out there, and a fit of inspiration about how to put things together, and a newer and much more sexy lander came about:

http://i.imgur.com/NwXdWzN.png

Now, I must confess to a slight inaccuracy. Turns out the fuel doesn't fit 100% perfect with an Apollo flight profile: The S-IVb should have about half/one third of the CM's fuel. I know, tiny detail, but make sure you do two things: first off, the coast to apoapsis is a very nice time to perform the lander retrieval. You will ditch the upper part of the fairing, keeping space clean, which is always nice, and also you will save precious delta-v for TMI. Mind you, you could also dispose of the fairings after TMI along with the S-IVb, to keep it even more accurate and have time to do the fancy docking maneuvers, but then the decouplers may push the fairings away from a free return trajectory and into the garbage category. Second, before TMI, make sure to top off the S-IVb tank with fuel from the CM. You won't need all of that, but it's always nice to not have the maneuver interrupted because you miscalculated. If it happens anyway don't worry, you have a lot of emergency fuel on the SM, just transfer some more. Call that the checkout Apollo crews had to perform before TMI. :rolleyes:

Of course, to comply with the clean space act, the S-IVb is left on a crash course with the Mun, and the mission continues with a stack that would run on a wristwatch:

http://i.imgur.com/ZL8fQtV.png

Other than that, the missions keeps on following (obviously) and Apollo-like profile. I performed the Munar sortie from a 10kmx50km parking orbit, but then again, I managed to land on dry tanks. That actually happened, running out of fuel less than five meters from the surface, and on both test missions, with the new and the old lander. Because of math, and science! :D It was an effficient-ish landing with low T/W, so you might want to go slightly lower and never higher, and know your stuff to do good suicide burns.

I hit some snags during development, like landing legs that got lost to the kraken, and a parachute that continued to get ripped apart no matter what. But in the end, thanks to F9 and a bit of ingenuity, all kerbals managed to complete all test missions, and the bugs were ironed out without loss of green. A hugely succesful (and funny!) development program! :)

The full two test missions are commented somewhat in the album, so you can see the whole development program if you want (the version in the download with the sexy LEM and the thinner fairing is first), and a bonus download: the S-V replica as a two stage perfect subassembly. You know, for the Phoebus Applications Program (soon!). :)

IMGUR ALBUM:

http://imgur.com/a/OKbU2

DOWNLOAD:

Project Phoebus - Apollo-like Munar Mission

V rocket - Perfect subassembly

Enough VAB. Back to the runway for stuff that can take stuff and then come back without dropping stuff!

SHUTTLE SECTION (Everything designed to carry modular payloads)

- K-33 Venture Star

So, another SSTO shuttle. But this one is based on a very interesting concept, a VTOHL lifting body using aerospikes NASA once pursued. I think I nailed that part, and I've improved on the original by adding turbojets an excess fuel so coming back to the runway is easier. Don't worry, purists: take out the turbojets and the aviation tanks, and it'll still be SSTO, probably with more delta-v in space. I just didn't want to risk it not being a good glider, which it is when empty. Payload are three kerbals and >2.6mT of whatever.

http://i.imgur.com/4zL82FP.jpg

Now the details. It does use turbojets, so let them spool up before releasing the clamps. You will have lots of unused liquid fuel in orbit: as far as I'm concerned, that means anytime return since it can fly continents to get back to KSC. Also, delta-v on low (about 100kms) orbit is around 0.5km/s, so not really interplanetary unless you refuel. All the usual stuff including docking capability. Boy am I being boring in this description, good thing I took pictures:

IMGUR ALBUM:

http://imgur.com/a/eGnq3

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./?24fpq1oq0y6o169

- The Gladius

Yet another SSTO Shuttle, courtesy of yours truly. It is pre-crash, but google didn't save it, so I'm re-creating the thread. It's small, it's cute, and it carries a more than decent payload and three kerbals to orbit.

http://i.imgur.com/zcgRzMd.jpg

It is actually volume-limited, since I'm pretty sure it can lift considerably more than what you can stick in the payload bay. The sample payload in a Munar lander/rover, but you could take it out and put anything else in there you want, or just a plain fuel tank to turn it into a long-range ship/tanker.

And why should I explain how to get it into orbit, when I have a video of me doing just that, and commenting a lot of stuff about it:

Update! Now with a crew shuttle version with room for seven kerbals and more accessible tankage:

http://i.imgur.com/nAWMHDY.jpg

IMGUR ALBUM:

http://imgur.com/a/SrQBO

DOWNLOADS:

Payload bay version: http://www./?q9a86ujb4t943ag

Crew shuttle version: http://www./download/zxu4wi0pvcl48ry/Gladius_%28Crew%29.craft

- The Infamous Mark XIII

Unnamed until Levelord chooses to give her a name (because of reasons), she was about as much fun to balance as the serial number implies, since she developed an amazing number of problems all the way form making her get out of the runway in one piece to high-speed rocket takeover flip-outs. And yeah, total coincidence that she turned out to be that lucky number in my SSTO series. In the end, though, we got there, and the results are astonishing: She will handle payloads from 0 to 20 units of mass while staying controllable, and she flies real sweet now. It hasn't got the room the old Plus Ultra had in the way of diameter on that payload bay, but if you are clever about it, you can fit more in there, and you can't deny she looks way better.

http://i.imgur.com/uW9Q38p.jpg

The sample payloads provided are a very good looking truck with pressurized cabin for two kerbals and an unspecified passenger capacity on the back, meant for airdrop, and an auxiliary craft that can do a single stage Mun landing mission with a cute tiny rover. See the Imgur album for info on that one, the mission was a fun one to test.

DOWNLOAD:

Truck version

Munar Shuttle version

IMGUR ALBUM:

http://imgur.com/a/7rC8Z

MULTI-LAUNCH ARCHITECTURES SECTION (Everything designed to carry modular payloads)

SPACE STATION KIT

Welcome station builder! This is going my first 0.20 release and it's not a ship, it's several! I figured it was time to update my station architecture (the old one has been discontinued). This time only two craft files, but that is only because you only need two launches to assemble a fully functional, six-module space station. But first, let's see the finished product, with room for 13 kerbals (only one included), three big grey tanks of fuel (only one full after assembly), and more monopropellant and docking ports (of all sizes) that you will know what to do with:

http://i.imgur.com/I6L9cCf.jpg

But that is only one of the possible configurations. See, there are two craft files, a station core pack, and an expansion pack. With the first launch, you are basically buying a minimally functional monolithic space station with a little manned tug/observation module (You can/will use it later on the space station construction) and lots of expansion docks. Here it is on orbit (you will have to use fuel form the station tanks to at least circularize, the launch is extremely tight). Notice I have already relocated the tug to free the front probe ports:

http://i.imgur.com/UJ6mE3Q.jpg

Then comes the second launch, the expansion pack. It comes with two solar array wings, a habitat module for six kerbals, a big fuel tank, and a drive unit to push everything uphill (probed so you can dispose of it if you want, or relocate it to another port in the the station). You could keep on launching more expansion packs and try different station configurations (as big as your computer allows you ;) ), but I just made do with two launches to test out everything, though I will probably increase it later for the greater fuel capacity. On orbit:

http://i.imgur.com/zVQ4IWa.png

You can imagine than with more expansion packs launched, the possibilities are endless. You could keep on making the solar arrays bigger and assemble the tanks in a cross on the bottom, or try something completely different. You won't run out of docking ports, and you have tugs to move around pieces of all sizes, if you use the drive units as tugs for the big ports, and the observation cupola for the regular ones. Or, you know, you could put your own stuff inside the payload shroud and make your own custom modules, or take them all that is under it out and use the big tank+drive pod as a tanker.

DOWNLOADS

- Station Core Pack

- Station Expansion Pack

IMGUR ALBUM

http://imgur.com/a/WjEpZ

More information on the assembly on the thread.

SURFACE BASE KIT

These crafts owe a lot to Temstar and the wonderful job he did on his base, particularly on the assembly method, I totally copied that. But before getting into details, let's see what you are buying, why don't we?

http://i.imgur.com/wH5GrqY.jpg

There's also one on Mun, mind you:

http://i.imgur.com/y1Jyllb.jpg

And you may have noticed it comes with a very sexy shuttle you can dock into the base to minimize ongoing flights:

http://i.imgur.com/JR97TKb.png

The shuttle is an interplanetary ship on its own right, with an independent drive section that can take it pretty much anywhere and enough delta-v at decent thrust on its own to serve as a Duna single stage lander. In fact, all modules are equipped with chutes on descent configuration, so the base is deployable not only to low gravity worlds, but also to any rock with atmosphere to brake with. After individual drops, the rover that comes with the Comm module (which acts as node) can pick up each module and join them in your desired configuration.

Maximum kerbal capacity is 14, but since the shuttle only has a capacity of 5, and I require an abort capability at all times, I usually have them at less than half capacity. But I'm thinking of sending another shuttle to Mun, so I'll reach the nominal crew of 10 before I start the rotations. Yes, I do those.

There is, however, a trick you can take advantage of to minimize again the number flights: you can bunch the modules together for cruise to the destination.

http://i.imgur.com/rBF8EUgs.jpg

For Mun I sent each module on its own (early testing), but after doing MOI one too many times, I decided the next time I was saving burn time time by doing a bit of docking. Not only do you save that, you can also "stage" the nuclear cruise stages to get more effective range, which I might need on the next one, because it is going to Laythe, the maximum supported range in the brochure. I might have to eat into the fuel tanks of the base, but that's why I'll be taking a non-official kethane module to refill with (non-official modules not supported, but welcomed :P). Oh, and while we are talking about tricks, it was also on that flight when I performed the assembly on orbit, and just dropped the whole thing in one piece using only the engines in the fuel modules. Minmus is so easy to land in!

And speaking on the nuclear cruise sections... Yes, I know, the T/W is pitiful. But that's all you need in space! Just plan accordingly, and take it into account while launching: the stage you finish orbit insertion with has a T/W of about 0.1. So "aim high" while going to orbit, because it will take a while to circularize. Or in other words, take your gravity turn with a lot of leisure. After staging each of them is capable of independent de-orbit maneuvers to comply with the clean space act, of course. So no need to worry about that. Some modules lose their RCS, though (no need for that on the ground), so might need to worry about that if you want to dock them somewhere afterwards.

The launch vehicle, by the way, is pretty much the same for everything, just slightly scaled on account of some modules weighting more than others. Not my most elegant launcher, but it is both simple and powerful enough to put these into the proper escape trajectories, and that's enough enoughs in my book. A bit of a weird wobble on the launchpad, I'm not really sure why, but it'll ease on liftoff. I think the game doesn't like having docking ports as stress points. :blush:

http://i.imgur.com/Z7SBqGgs.jpg

Much more pictures in the album, of course, from early testing on kerbin through orbital assembly to surface operations:

IMGUR ALBUM:

http://imgur.com/a/AHjJM

DOWNLOADS:

Base Shuttle

Base Comm Module

Base Hab Module

Base Fuel Module

Well, that is all... for now! I will add new ones as I make them, if they are good enough in my opinion. Everything here can go to the stock repository directly if someone links. Feel free to tinker with them, modify, steal ideas, whatever. After all, I do the same! ;) Also, remembering action groups for every ship is out of the question for me. Check them out on the assembly building before each flight, that's my motto.

Oh, and comments are always appreciated if you test any of them out. :)

Rune. Ad Astra per kaboom!

Ok, this is intended to be a backup of the thread. I plan to short out the mess it is, and re-populate it with a few selected crafts, all form 0.23 or updated to it. Why? well, because now I build better and this is a wall of pictures with a lot of not-so good-anynore craft in my eyes. For now, I'm just going to delete all the ones that don't make this new cut, but as always, support is still available through PM. Expect new and shiny stuff Soon-ish.

The White Dart you made is amazing. I've flown about 3 ssto's not made by me (because mine have a tendency to stall and crash whenever I pitch above like ten degrees) and this is the only one that I can fly. Cheers!

The White Dart you made is amazing. I've flown about 3 ssto's not made by me (because mine have a tendency to stall and crash whenever I pitch above like ten degrees) and this is the only one that I can fly. Cheers!

Thanks! It's definitely my most favourite one-man SSTO, it flies so good and stable! And with the rapier/stabojet flameout protection, it's pretty much point to space and you'll get there. Your stability issues seem to come from a Center of Lift that gets in front of the Center of Mass during flight, turning your aircraft unstable. Check out how I do it in the SPH with the White Dart to learn how to do it yourself! (remember to grab the whole ship and pitch it up and down to see how the angle of attack affects CoL and CoM).

Rune. Looks good, too.

Dear Rune,

Let me join the crowd of those singing the praises of your White Dart. My Space Program has only just begun testing the concept of winged flight and SSTOs. I have not successfully take the White Dart to orbit yet, but I have done some flying and landing test to skill up and I must say that I absolutely love the design.

Much of my current problem with SSTOs is the flight plan needed to utilize them. I burn too much fuel and leave no margin for finishing my circularization burn. I know it's my own failings at this time, but I have thoroughly enjoyed my flight time in this craft and wanted to thank its designer. After flying the White Dart, I don't feel the need to look to another SSTO to fill ferry and exploration duties for my Space Program.

Thanks for the kind words! The White Dart is for sure one of our best sellers (>1.3k downloads, and I suck at marketing ^^'), what is your personally favourite version?

Also, update! I have added the N1-L3 replica to the main thread, in the VAB section of course. Judging by the comments on its thread, people seem to like it :)

Rune. Enjoy!

I think I am going to try out broadsword sometime soon...

Edit: Mechjeb Assisted Orbit, mostly manual, left me with 358 LF. Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong? I admit that I accidentally overshot my intended orbit by 12 km, but it shouldn't have made that big of a dent...

Upon deorbit burn, I missed KSC massively. However, I decided to head for an alternate landing site northeast of KSC. Specifically, that big island. As I activated mechjeb's surface distance function, the game crashed. Fortunately, I have a quicksave. From just before the retro burn. Also: after flying on LF to that island, I had 110 LF left. That's pretty good, I think.

Edit II: Second landing attempt went succesfully! Also on the big island. Recovered the kerbals instead of the ship. So now, Broadsword I- Zephyrus is sitting on a big island. Touchdown left it with 148 liquid fuel.

Edited by Tangle

I think I am going to try out broadsword sometime soon...

Edit: Mechjeb Assisted Orbit, mostly manual, left me with 358 LF. Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong? I admit that I accidentally overshot my intended orbit by 12 km, but it shouldn't have made that big of a dent...

Upon deorbit burn, I missed KSC massively. However, I decided to head for an alternate landing site northeast of KSC. Specifically, that big island. As I activated mechjeb's surface distance function, the game crashed. Fortunately, I have a quicksave. From just before the retro burn. Also: after flying on LF to that island, I had 110 LF left. That's pretty good, I think.

Edit II: Second landing attempt went succesfully! Also on the big island. Recovered the kerbals instead of the ship. So now, Broadsword I- Zephyrus is sitting on a big island. Touchdown left it with 148 liquid fuel.

Actually, I fly an updated version of it that I am on the verge of posting. An extra beauty pass, nothing important changed on the powerplant, but I'll update it soon, so check it out when I do! I basically removed the ugly structural plates and redid the tail a bit, plus I completely redesigned the sample payloads.

T4ue66t.png

Now concerning your fuel question, I don't know if you are referring to your excess liquid fuel, or to your rocket mix. In any case, it mostly depends on your payload weight. See, the ship as it is has just enough to do one of my ascents with maximum payload (11mT). That will leave me with like 50l of liquid fuel and oxidizer each, at more or less a good ratio. I may even have a bit of extra oxidizer due to the increased time to climb. And that assumes I climb at 45ª until ~25kms to start the pre-orbit speed run! (so as quickly as I can) It is anything but fast to orbit when you load it to the brim. But, with a lighter payload, you make the climb much faster, thus saving liquid fuel and ending up with an excess. Also, consider I switch over to rocket cycle at lest at 1,500m/s (surface), and it's much better to do it at 1,600m/s. She can do it!

Rune. Easy to land, though, right?

Wonderful! And yes, she is a beauty to land. It's just that with so much of the body being made of wings, she glides. A lot.

Edit: After Broadsword 2 "Nevada"'s testing of the EMUs, landing on the runway, and movement off the runway; Broadsword 3 "Wingman" is ready to fly up and deploy the core module for station "Republic Station". Broadsword 3 almost ran out of fuel, but I had to cheat to give me a bit more. She landed with just 70 oxidizer remaining. Republic was set up and Broadsword 3's crew was transferred aboard it.

Edit II: It seems that PPPC is prone to exploding apart on the slightest touch.

Edited by Tangle

Rune,

My favorite White Dart is the original herself. I find myself fascinated by flying it. It's a whole new part of Kerbal Space Program that I've only scratched the surface of, the SPH. Yeager Kerman successfully put the White Dart into orbit today, marking the first (successful) SSTO flight I've ever done. When I am more skilled, I think I'll make fair use of the nuclear version as an long range ferry craft. The White Dart family is incredibly aesthetically pleasing and I'd love to have a few sitting at a space station just for the coolness of it all.

Wonderful! And yes, she is a beauty to land. It's just that with so much of the body being made of wings, she glides. A lot.

Edit: After Broadsword 2 "Nevada"'s testing of the EMUs, landing on the runway, and movement off the runway; Broadsword 3 "Wingman" is ready to fly up and deploy the core module for station "Republic Station". Broadsword 3 almost ran out of fuel, but I had to cheat to give me a bit more. She landed with just 70 oxidizer remaining. Republic was set up and Broadsword 3's crew was transferred aboard it.

Edit II: It seems that PPPC is prone to exploding apart on the slightest touch.

Glad you are enjoying the station assembly thing! I will upload the new file now for the broadsword so you can continue with the even-easier-to-use Mk II. And yeah, all that quantum superposition technology (A.K.A. clipping) on the PPPC, plus the fact the lading gear is barely capable of lifting it an inch off the ground (I was really strapped for mass by then) means any but thew softest landing ends with the tail hitting the ground, and a rather violent RUD follows. You could somewhat solve this by locking the suspension, then you have a bitmore clearance until you break the flimsy legs. Or you can switch legs to heavier ones and stay away from SSTM missions without refuel. I may be getting a tad too good a pilot, because that rarely happens tome. I do recommend landing under both parachute and engine power.

Edit: there it is, have fun!

Rune,

My favorite White Dart is the original herself. I find myself fascinated by flying it. It's a whole new part of Kerbal Space Program that I've only scratched the surface of, the SPH. Yeager Kerman successfully put the White Dart into orbit today, marking the first (successful) SSTO flight I've ever done. When I am more skilled, I think I'll make fair use of the nuclear version as an long range ferry craft. The White Dart family is incredibly aesthetically pleasing and I'd love to have a few sitting at a space station just for the coolness of it all.

Glad to hear that! The prototype is indeed a nice ship to practice ascents with. Plenty of excess T/W along the way if you screw up! And with the same balanced aerodynamics as the rest of the family. As practice goes, actually, you can try and push the flameout faster and higher on each flight with throttle and pitch control, and by the time you can make 1,700m/s comfortably before you run out of air, you are ready to fly the nuke version to orbit (and pretty much any other airhogger). Pay attention to your vertical speed indicator!

Rune. I wish I had got Yeager on my crew!

Edited by Rune

Rune,

I looked at the White Dart in the SPH today and admired it. One thought I had was a non-orbital variant that used either jet engines or turbo-jets for planetary reconnaissance; a dedicated supersonic jet. I've played with the idea of trying to create such a version myself, but I thought, why not ask the creator himself? Have there been any versions of the White Dart designed solely for atmospheric flight? If so, might I humbly request the .craft file for use in my Space Program?

Edited by USKnight

Rune,

I looked at the White Dart in the SPH today and admired it. One thought I had was a non-orbital variant that used either jet engines or turbo-jets for planetary reconnaissance; a dedicated supersonic jet. I've played with the idea of trying to create such a version myself, but I thought, why not ask the creator himself? Have there been any versions of the White Dart designed solely for atmospheric flight? If so, might I humbly request the .craft file for use in my Space Program?

Hey, thanks for the kind words! But no, there's really no pure atmospheric version... though if you drain the prototype of oxidizer and forget about the rocket, that would probably turn out a rather nice long range airplane, you could just fly more-or-less ballistic to anywhere you wanted through the upper layer s of the atmosphere and have lots of low-altitude flight time to inspect stuff. Or even better, the jet VTOL! That one was designed to use around kerbin after all.

Rune. It's been a lot since I designed a pure plane, though, maybe I should try one again.

Update! The new surface base architecture is posted, and just to open your appetite, I cracked the problem of reloading a Broadsword:

xeAJ1qX.png

Which I then used to build a station for a challenge, using the same vehicle to ferry up each section:

56nEzyy.png

So expect an update on that with the files I used! :)

Plus, I will be posting this as soon as I get the time to fly a mission to take pics:

baTnx8U.png

Rune. It's like a crew cousin of the Broadsword... ideas for naming it? Remember my SSTOs go by pointy objects :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.