[remotetech] How do you setup your communication satellite relay network?

royying

I use to send 4 satellite in same orbit to orbiting kerbin

phase angle different is 90 degree

but those orbits just look like the same

they must have some small differences because of our manual operation

those small differences will become a big differences after a long time warp

cause the network can't receive signal from KSC in some time...

The easiest way is to have some satellites up in a geostationary orbit, at 2,868km. You'll know you're there when your Surface Speed is 0m/s. If you have three large satellites up in that orbit spaced equally apart you should be able to get a signal pretty much anywhere within Kerbin SoI.

I'd asked a similar question before the great reset. The answer I got that was really useful is to set your satellites up in Molniya Orbits rather than circular ones. Even a geostationary unless you got the position absolute spot on perfect will drift over time and with time warping while doing other missions that problem becomes more pronounced and you'll have to spend time tending your satellites.

The way I do mine is quite simple.

Initial launch aims for an apoapsis of 80km, with a TWR for the last 10km of the ascent greater than 1.5 in order to make this maneuver work.

I then on reaching 80km altitude burn again as usual- but instead of stopping when I've circularized, I instead continue until I have a new apoapsis at 2868km.

The craft will not have signal the first time it reaches 2868km, but the second time around it will be over KSC. At that point you can circularize it at 2868km altitude, giving you a geosync comsat on your first launch in a new save file.

Typically the craft I use for this are ultra lightweight, on order of 0.1 tons or less. Though you really could do it with any design as long as you can maintain a >1 TWR the whole time so that the burns take place before it loses contact or moves out of position.

Step 1 80km initial apoapsis

Step 2 Raise apoapsis to 2868km after reaching 80km

Step 3 On the second pass, KSC is below the satellite. Circularize at 2868km for your geosync orbit.

Typical booster and payload

Ultralight comsat for LKO and Geosync coverage

I usually put 3 such satellites 120 degrees apart in geosync, accuracy is important as the more precise you are the longer they last. once all three are up, I then start adding heavier craft with greater capabilities to expand my coverage area.

If you use mech jeb to align the orbital period of the network you should be able to maintain signal for at least 2 years game time. It honestly does not matter what the period is as long as they are spaced evenly and they all have the same period.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.