[0.23][V1.5.6]Cabana Corp. Research & Development [03/02/14]

BananaDealer

cabana_corp_by_guardianoftheforce-d631hlr.jpg

Cabana Corp. R&D was founded by one wacky Kerbal scientist, going by the name of Ban, after he won the lottery (by questionable means).

Cabana Corp. R&D is devoted to developing strange, unconventional and (sometimes) down-right impractical parts for use in aeronautics and space design.

~~ Version 1.5.6- DOWNLOAD Links~~

RAR Downloads:

Dropbox

Mediafire

ZIP Downloads:

Dropbox

Mediafire

Cabana Corp's "Other Addatives" Config Download: (Updated 06/02/14)

Dropbox

Mediafire

-Adds DROMOMAN parts to the (stock) Tech Tree.

-Adds Quantum Struts to the (stock) Tech Tree.

-Adds B9/Firespitter cargo-opening tweakable to Lack Lustre Labs' pack. (Still WIP; works for the cargo bays)

-Makes TT's Modular Multiwheels compatible with the (stock) Tech Tree. (You still need to have them compatible with the new part categorization.)

-Adds tweakables to B9 wings and control surfaces. Also takes care of the "B9 Wobbly Wheels Syndrome". (Thanks goes to Raven for this one)

-Makes Lack Lustre Labs' Greenhouse a carbon extractor and water purifier when using TACLS.

Put this in your /GameData/[However you save the Cabana Corp. pack]/ folder; It's a simple Module Manager Config so it would work in any other mods' folder.

NOTICE: The changes to Lack Lustre Labs' Cargo Bays requires the Firespitter plugin.

~~Screenshots~~

The O.R.C- Orbital Rescue/maintenance Craft, prepping for a rendezvous burn with Hades Station. Scoot Kerman had to take out some space-gunk out of the engines.

orc2_by_akutou-d63m52l.jpg

orc3_by_akutou-d63m525.jpg

With Hades Station:

orc_hades_by_akutou-d63m53d.jpg

(More screenshots to come!)

~~Features!~~

Parts Package!

Cabana Corp. offers several new parts intended for deep-space and large-scale exploration of the Kerbol system.

"Squirrel"-type ION Engine

First developed as a testing model, a cargo crate of these engines somehow ended up in retail. Instead of recalling all models however, Cabana Corp. R&D released a statement that the engine was meant as a mid-range counterpart to the Pegasus.

Thrust- 290

Isp vacuum- 500

Isp sea level- 100

Resources:

EC (3.0)

Xenon Gas (1.0)

"Pegasus"-type ION Engine

Developed from the Mongoose (now obsolete) blueprint, it incorporates a good balance between thrust, Isp and resource use. Definitely not as powerful as older models of the same size, however it's more reliable. Intended as the new workhorse for Cabana Corp. orbital craft, it is still commercially available, albeit at a higher price than older models. *

Thrust- 555

Isp vacuum- 500

Isp sea level- 100

Resources:

EC (5.0)

Xenon Gas (2.0)

"Meerkat"-type ION Engine

Developed as a quick "solution" to the need for a more powerful probe-sized ION engine, the "Meerkat" is built solely from spare parts lying around. As such, it is highly unstable and unoptimized. The thrust potential isn't significant, and nothing comparable to other Cabana Corp. models.

Thrust- 20

Isp vacuum- 4200

Isp sea level- 0

Resources:

EC (0.24)

Xenon Gas (0.1)

Xe-54/H2 Acquisition Device

Cabana Corp. engineers in the Misapplied Sciences lab were amazed when they managed to develop a method for separating Xenon and Hydrogen from the vacuum of space. In layman's terms- it's a hydrogen/xenon scoop!

Outputs:

MonoPropellant (30.0/min)

XenonGas (6.0/min)

XR-1-Type Prototype Multi-Intake

Striving to achieve a more aesthetically pleasing design for the Xe-54/H2 Acquisition Device that can be put on top of engine nacelles, Cabana Corp. employed its (Misapplied) Science Division. They took the Xe-54/H2 Acquisition Device and the XR-1 Ram Intake and put them in a dark room. Three Kerbquila bottles and nine months later, this thing was born.

Outputs:

MonoPropellant (30.0/min)

XenonGas (6.0/min)

Engine Nacelle Type B

During the development of the Lynx, Squirrel and Mongoose lines of engines, Cabana Corp. R&D engineers retrofitted several standard Engine Nacelles, which come stock from C7 Aerospace Division, to better support their use with Ion engines. Replacing the standard intake with a smaller version of the "Xe-54/H2 Acquisition Device" and adding a small battery and Xenon tank, the Type B Nacelle was developed to supplement the XR-1 Prototype Multi-Intake.

Xe-54 High/Medium-Capacity Storage Device(s)

Developed for the storage of large amounts of Xenon Gas, the High/Medium-Capacity Storage Devices was certainly NOT a result of internal tests of the "De-Shrinkifier".

High-Capacity Storage Device: 2100/21000 Xenon Gas

Medium-Capacity Storage Device: 1400/1400 Xenon Gas

Jumbo-64 Ballast Tank

After many years of research, Cabana Corp. R&D scientists came up with a way to drain the fuel from standard fuel tanks and fill them with water instead. Intended for use as ballast tanks.

Resources:

Water- 2880

FL-T800 Ballast Tank

After many years of research, Cabana Corp. R&D scientists came up with a way to drain the fuel from standard fuel tanks and fill them with water instead. Intended for use as ballast tanks.

Resources:

Water- 1360

Expanded Probe Capabilities!

What are probes good for these days? Why send a probe when you can send a Kerbal instead? The Misapplied Sciences Division of Cabana Corp. is has developed several advancements in computing technology which would allow probes to complete tasks of equal or larger importance, compared to crewed vessels!

The current "internal" experiments are:

Generate Status Report:

If you're wondering how the probe's feeling about it's current predicament- don't be afraid to ask! It would most always have something informative (if not, then at least clever) to say.

Take Readings:

READINGS! Probes love taking them! Sure, they may claim otherwise, but we all know they're not telling the truth...

Report Findings:

A probe can find all manner of things out in space... Some may even be other planets! Would you imagine that!

Explore Surroundings:

Only available to the OCTO-2 and HECS line of probes, this experiment can only be done when safely landed on the surface of a planet or moon. Using RADAR and SONAR, the probe will produce a panoramic topographic view of its' current surroundings.

------------------------------

~~Cabana Corp. News Network~~

Check out the News Network!

Change Log:

*V0.01: Initial release.

*V0.02: Second release

-Added two new Ion engines (the Squirrel and Mongoose).

-Added the Prototype Overcharged Ram IntaKe, or P.O.R.K.

-Changed the Isp values of the prototype Lynx to the same as the smaller engines.

-Fiddled with the Wraith engine a bit in an attempt to make it work properly (make only one mode active at a time). Doesn't seem to have done much.

*V0.03: Third release

-Discontinued the Wraith Hybrid line until a more stable design is accomplished.

-Added Ballast tanks full of water. They come in Jumbo-64 and the FL-T800 stock tanks.

-Added Wraith MkI Jet Engine.

-Added Wraith Mk II Turbo-Jet Engine.

-Changed the P.O.R.K Intake to store 4 units of Intake Air instead of the original 1.2. Also changed the resource use line to try and resolve the power issue, which does not seem to have worked.

-Changed the Type-B Nacelle to have a Xenon generator instead of be intake-based in order to function in space.

-Did some re-naming of folders. Customers are advised to delete previous versions of part folders. Saved craft should be fine as the actual names and IDs of parts are the same.

*V1.00 "Official" Release: A big jump, I know, but Newbur isn't that good with numbers so hey...

-Added 0.20 compatibility.

-Discontinued all previous ION engine lines, except the "Squirrel"-type.

-Introduced the "Pegasus"-type ION Engine.

-Moved the Small Ballast tank- FL-T800, to the Utility tab.

-Added a generator to the P.O.R.K intake that produces SupersonicAir. Changed the Resources file respectively. The new resource, SupersonicAir, has the same density as regular IntakeAir. To be implemented later with a prototype ScramJet (the Wriath MkIII). Also removed the electricity requirement as it simply did not function.

-Added a /Flags directory. I'm having a special flag done for Cabana Corp., currently the one present is a scaled-down version of the logo.

*V1.5 Update:

-Added 0.22 compatibility to the package. Tech-tree implementation.

-Removed the Fuel Scoop. This is no longer a "cheat" mod. YAY!

-Removed the XR-2 Multi-Intake for the above purposes.

-Removed the Wraith line of jet engines. Will add them again when they have their own models.

-Removed the P.O.R.K until the Wraith engines are re-introduced.

-Added custom experiments to the ScienceDef.cfg.

-Introduced new probe bodies, dubbed Mk II versions of the existing probes, with custom experiments. Will look into using Module Manager instead of having separate parts.

*V1.5.1 Hotfix/Update:

-Added some surface-based flavour text to the "Generate Status Report" for all planets, except Kerbin.

-Supplied probes with up-to-date stellar maps. They will no-longer mistake Duna for Dres.

*V1.5.2 Update:

-Moved the "Squirrel" and "Pegasus" ION engines to the Large Probes tech node.

-Added the "Meerkat" ION engine.

-Added the "Xe-54/H2 Acquisition Device". It's basically a re-named and re-scaled (now probe-sized) version of the original Hydrogen/Xenon scoop.

-Changed definitions accordingly to mention the new Acquisition Device instead of the old Hydrogen/Xenon Scoop.

-Added the "Xe-54 Medium/High-Capacity Storage Device". Basically re-scaled versions of the stock Xenon Tank.

-Added the "Explore Surroundings" experiment to the OCTO-F Mk II and HECS Mk II probes. Currently has only "default" flavour text. Will add more.

*V1.5.3 Hotfix:

-Lowered the EC requirement for the "Meerkat" to 0.24 for better optimisation.

-Moved the ION engines to the Utility category. Players with previous versions for the pack are advised to delete and then apply the newest version.

-Added flavour text for the "Explore Surroundings" experiment and changed the biomeMask to make it function only when landed.

*V1.5.4 Compatibility Update:

- Integrated (via Module Manager, I've included it in the download) the experiments from the "Mk II" probes into the stock probe bodies to avoid confusion and provide for compatibility with other mods (Remote Tech for instance). I've kept the Mk II bodies for now as to not break craft/saves but expect them to be removed with the next version.

*V1.5.5 Update:

- Official 0.23 compatibility added. Due to the intended nature of the internal experiments, none would require a "reset" by a Lab.

- Added results for the Minmus biomes. Some might have a Khristmas-y theme. Blame egg-nog.

- Cleared some redundant lines and general maintenance.

- Removed the old "Mk II" probe bodies. Older craft are now incompatible. Recommend a clean install of the mod and evacuating any Kerbals attached to vessels using probe bodies.

*V1.5.6 Compatibility Patch-in:

- Added Cabana Corp's internal experiments to Lack Lustre Lab's probe body via Module Manager.

- Added an optional Module Manager config file to add DROMOMAN and Quantum Struts parts to the Tech Tree. DROMOMAN added to the Robotics node. Quantum Struts added to Meta Materials node. Will be using this config for other useful bits.

*03/02/14 General thread maintenance:

-- Separated the "optional" MM config from the download.

-- Provided .ZIP archive versions of the pack.

-- Added (hopefully) B9/Firespitter-style cargo-bay open/close tweakables to Lack Lustre Labs' pack via the "optional" MM config.

-- TO DO: More relevant/better screenshots (possibly lifted from the News Network journal/blog).

The designs/models used are not mine own work.

Used designs/models by:

Hermea Engineering- ION Engines

NovaSilisko- Hydrogen/Xenon Scoop

Kerbtrek- XR-Series Intakes

Getting the parts from the aforementioned authors is strongly recommended. The ION engines are intended for use with Hermea tanks and batteries.

Tips on balancing and other ideas are welcome!

Edited by BananaDealer

Banana, you've made Ion engines with the thrust roughly equivalent to NERVA and Mainsail? :0.0: No, that's not overpowered - not at all. And this is written by a guy who used to bitch profusely at stock Ion wussiness, before giving up on this engine even for probes.

Banana, you've made Ion engines with the thrust roughly equivalent to NERVA and Mainsail? :0.0: No, that's not overpowered - not at all. And this is written by a guy who used to bitch profusely at stock Ion wussiness, before giving up on this engine even for probes.

Read the bio... Cabana Corp. isn't one for developing... "realistic" components... I mean... Really? You get touchy about unrealistic Ion engines and then there's a bloody damn fuel scoop that provides you with 100 fuel per second!

And still... As I've said- tips on balancing are welcome...

Also, I'm thinking of lowering the sea level Isp of the larger Lynx to something like 100... That would effectively make it not work in atmosphere, right?

(Please pardon the double post)

Ok, so seeing how Deuchebag SpacePort has no intention of actually showing the Cabana Corp pack, I'm uploading it to dropbox...

I'll post the link in a minute...

I'm also thinking of making an overcharged ram intake with five times to intake air capacity of the stock one... Would that be "balanced", Mr. Scotius? Would it?!

you got me hooked with yor logo but i need pics of parts before i download this

The intakes look like the XR series (by Kerbtek), the Scoop has the same model as the stock scoop intake; the ION engines are pretty much an inflated version of the stock ION engine and the Hybrid Jet engine uses the same model as the stock Toroidal Aerospike...

That said, I'm working on providing good looking shots... Believe what you will, but Kerbals aren't that good photographers... Especially when thrown out the airlock for "fly-by" shots...

If anyone downloaded this already (and even if you didn't)- update coming up tomorrow (Sunday)!

Additions:

*NEW Prototype Overcharged Ram IntaKe: Code named "P.O.R.K" down at the Misapplied Science Division, this intake features a bigger hypersonic ram that compresses the incoming air much more efficiently (or at least "much more") than older variants. Requires a small(-ish) amount of electricity to function "properly".

*NEW "Squirrel"-type ION Engine: First developed as a testing model, a cargo crate of these engines somehow ended up in retail. Instead of recalling all models however, Cabana Corp. R&D released a statement that the engine was meant as a mid-range substitute for when you need just that little bit more "umph" than the Nyx but not the full thrust of a Lynx.

*NEW "Mongoose"-type ION Engine: Developed in an attempt to dial down the resource requirements of the Lynx, one significant drawback of the process however is the inevitable loss of thrust. Still, the "Mongoose" is powerful enough to function as the main engine of standard orbital craft and will meet the needs of your average mission. NOT intended as a main launch vehicle- in fact, the engine will not function effectively in atmosphere.

*NEW Engine Nacelle Type B: During the development of the Lynx, Squirrel and Mongoose lines of engines, Cabana Corp. R&D engineers retrofitted several standard Engine Nacelles, which come stock from C7 Aerospace Division, to better support their use with Ion engines. Replacing the standard intake with a smaller version "Xenon Gas Harvesting Device" and adding a small battery and Xenon tank, the Type B Nacelle was developed to supplement the XR-1 Prototype Multi-Intake.

Balancing:

*Isp at sea level for the Lynx Prototype lowered to 100.

Also to come- Screenshots!

As well as some ships made with Cabana Corp. R&D parts, in conjunction with some other mods (a full listing will follow). These ships will be featured in the aforementioned screenshots. There will of course be ships made of stock parts with Cabana Corp. R&D components.

Version 0.02 is now available! I'll be uploading the fabled screenshots later on today! (Cabana Corp R&D Sweet Graphics Division is taking it's time with the patented watermark...)

You know... It wouldn't hurt for a post or two that aren't mine... This thread is starting to feel like my head...

Are there any pics showing the engines? This looks cool!

There will be in a couple hours!

Most pics will however include other parts from other mods. As will included craft designs... I'm sorry for not keeping it stock, but it's for maximum aesthetic pleasure...

Each image will have a note of what parts it depicts, as well as a list of additional mods to run the craft it depicts.

Also, I plan to add a ballast tank to the pack... I've found it useful for asymmetrical vehicles as centre of mass is crucial during launch...

It will be filled with Water (I'll make a resource file) instead of Fuel and feature a button to jettison contents for when you need the mass to shift.

Would it be possible to use the exhaust streak animation from jet engines to represent the water?

Another thing- with v0.03 I plan to make the Wraith solely an airbreathing engine with more thrust than the stock Turbo Fan... I'll work on the hybrid once I get more experience with the code...

Edited by BananaDealer

Yeah the forums were down due to a DNS misconfig.

Yeah, it's still showing me the 404 when I try to access directly from KSP's main page... So I'd put it "the forums are down"...

Anyways, some screens are now up, more to come.

I'll upload 0.03 when I get some more spare time...

I thought you might want to know that the .zip file for download is "invalid" and cannot be opened.

Damn you dropbox...

Hmm... Doesn't show any problems when I try it...

File now up on Mediafire

Edited by BananaDealer

Might be fun for just playing around with or sci-fi missions, but for everyday use I wouldn't use them, they're all quite ridiculously overpowered.

That's pretty much the point... I am working on balancing out some stuff, like the ISPs of the engines and am thinking of getting rid of the large Lynx prototype, and I might even tone down the thrust of the Mongoose...

The Fuel Scoop was never meant for balance. More like a novelty item... It kinda came from relative necessity because I really wanted to get something huge in space but didn't want to use infinite fuel. It's meant to go on lifters and not the actual craft... At least that's how I use it...

The Hydrogen/Xenon intakes aren't unbalanced, at least the way I see them... Unless you use a ton of them on each craft (i.e- airhogging), you can still expend your MonoProp and Xenon resources during long voyages/burns/manoeuvres...

And the fuel/air multi-intake is meant for atmospheric use and won't function in space. And as long as you don't use the Fuel Scoop with it, you can still run out of fuel...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.