[0.23][V1.5.6]Cabana Corp. Research & Development [03/02/14]

BananaDealer

So these appear to be rather useless in carrer mode, as the engines unlock well before any tanks or batteries that can power them. I thought they might be rather cheaty on the thrust/isp, but I killed about 10k power and xeon in just shy of 3 seconds with a launchpad test.

I'd say reduce the power a bit more, and significantly reduce the fuel requirements. Something that could compete with LV-N's for upper/interplanetary stages would be nice. AS others have said, you would need some custom models to really make this take off.

If you cannot make them yourself there are a few people on the forums here that seem to make models for other smaller mods, zzz comes to mind as one. Speak to the maker of the interplanetary mod and ask if you can borrow some of his models.

So these appear to be rather useless in carrer mode, as the engines unlock well before any tanks or batteries that can power them. I thought they might be rather cheaty on the thrust/isp, but I killed about 10k power and xeon in just shy of 3 seconds with a launchpad test.

I'd say reduce the power a bit more, and significantly reduce the fuel requirements. Something that could compete with LV-N's for upper/interplanetary stages would be nice. AS others have said, you would need some custom models to really make this take off.

If you cannot make them yourself there are a few people on the forums here that seem to make models for other smaller mods, zzz comes to mind as one. Speak to the maker of the interplanetary mod and ask if you can borrow some of his models.

Yeah, used to be these engines relied on the Hermea Parts pack, but I'm not sure if that's been patched for 0.22.

I'll move them further down the tech tree (I'm thinking the "large probes" node). I may also end up adding a probe body sized ion engine with comparatively low thrust (higher than stock, but not much... say around 20) and re-sizing the stock Xenon tanks to fit the larger engines.

I like the fuel consumption as-is, and the EC requirements as these engines are pretty much regarded as "experimental"/prototypes, which means they aren't optimised. Plus, it kinda balances out the insane thrust you wouldn't normally expect from an ion engine...

I am looking into/for modellers helping, especially for the "improved" probes; though for the ion engines in particular, I do like the stock design...

UPDATE!

*V1.5.2 Current Version:

-Moved the "Squirrel" and "Pegasus" ION engines to the Large Probes tech node.

-Added the "Meerkat" ION engine.

-Added the "Xe-54/H2 Acquisition Device". It's basically a re-named and re-scaled (now probe-sized) version of the original Hydrogen/Xenon scoop.

-Changed definitions accordingly to mention the new Acquisition Device instead of the old Hydrogen/Xenon Scoop.

-Added the "Xe-54 Medium/High-Capacity Storage Device". Basically re-scaled versions of the stock Xenon Tank.

-Added the "Explore Surroundings" experiment to the OCTO-F Mk II and HECS Mk II probes. Currently has only "default" flavour text. Will add more.

I need feedback on anything I might have missed when doing the descriptions and whether everything scales properly...

• 2 weeks later...

the Xe-54/H2 Acquisition Device and the XR-1-Type Prototype Multi-Intake are completely overpowered! you get infinite delta-V by time-warping when you run out of fuel! it spoils the game so much, turning on infinite fuel doesn't make any difference! if you just bought KSP and you can't reach Eloo in the first mission it's normal because it's not supposed to be easy

the Xe-54/H2 Acquisition Device and the XR-1-Type Prototype Multi-Intake are completely overpowered! you get infinite delta-V by time-warping when you run out of fuel! it spoils the game so much, turning on infinite fuel doesn't make any difference! if you just bought KSP and you can't reach Eloo in the first mission it's normal because it's not supposed to be easy

Hi there, valued customer!

Ban-Anad, founder and proprietor of Cabana Corp.

I understand you feel some of the parts this company provides are "overpowered". So please, let me take this time to clarify some things.

The Xe-54/H2 Acquisition Device and the XR-1 Multi-Intake generate Xenon Gas and Mono-Propellant, not regular fuel. Using them with Cabana Corp ION engines, and even the stock ion engine, makes little difference on the time it takes for them to drain your entire Xenon reserve due to the ridiculous consumption of those engines (the stock ion engine makes no matter, because of the small thrust it will still take you ages to reach anywhere). For instance, the Pegasus model can chug 10000 units of Xenon Gas in only a few seconds when fully throttled. As long as you don't go over the top with how many you place on your craft, which is left to the consumer's own discretion, either of the parts won't really make a difference when it comes to an ION engine's Xenon consumption. Yes, you can cover your craft with the Acquisition Device and laugh at things like "realism", "consistency" and "fair play", Cabana Corp won't and can't stop you. We do encourage our consumers to show at least some restraint however.*

Furthermore, the idea behind both parts is to provide for long-term expeditions not just to Eeloo but for cruising around the Kerbin system. Such a task would require a method of "regenerating" ION engine propellants on long trips. This is where the Xe-54/H2 Acquisition device and it's counterpart- the XR-1 Multi-Intake come in play.

Personally, I've been part of the Kerbal Space Program and it's shenanigans since 0.19 and for most of the year. I know full well what this game entails. The privately funded Cabana Corp. "To SPACE!" Program has launched many missions and killed a lot of Kerbals (most of which accidentally). Come to think of it... You make a fair point... We have yet to go to Eeloo on 0.22... *Off microphone* Note to self- make Eeloo mission a priority.

I hope this message helps with your confusion!

*The Xe-54/H2 Acquisition Device and all other resource generators will be given an Electric Charge requirement with the next major update, which will also introduce the Cabana Corp. Data Storage Drives.

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't a scoop that can just get you xenon be massively OP? Get to where you want on Ion, refuel ex nihilo and head on back! The science stuff you have is great, but simply being able to combine the stock xenon engine with a scoop, a tank, a core and some panels and then going wherever forever kinda ruins it. It feels like cheating but having the option there is just weird and asking people to show restraint is a bit weird too.

Edited by TimMartland

Wouldn't a scoop that can just get you xenon be massively OP? Get to where you want on Ion, refuel ex nihilo and head on back! The science stuff you have is great, but simply being able to combine the stock xenon engine with a scoop, a tank, a core and some panels and then going wherever forever kinda ruins it. It feels like cheating but having the option there is just weird and asking people to show restraint is a bit weird too.

I'm pretty sure I answered that same question in the previous post... Maybe read?

I'm pretty sure I answered that same question in the previous post... Maybe read?

Yeh, I read, but it dosent really change my opinion. The mods really cool on the most part and the texturing is great, but the infinite fuel generator thing is kinda a deal breaker for me, as I think I'm not alone in thinking that. Would be kinda cool if you found a way to balance it though. Maybe you could scoop Xenon out of Jools upper atmosphere! (That would be awesome)

Yeh, I read, but it dosent really change my opinion. The mods really cool on the most part and the texturing is great, but the infinite fuel generator thing is kinda a deal breaker for me, as I think I'm not alone in thinking that. Would be kinda cool if you found a way to balance it though. Maybe you could scoop Xenon out of Jools upper atmosphere! (That would be awesome)

Assigning a resource to a particular area would probably involve a plug-in and I'm not really all that good with code... (though I guess I could talk to Fractal...)

I am developing a plugin regardless, to handle the future Data Storage functionality.

The way I'm gonna handle xenon scoop balancing would be to have the scoop require a power supply- the more electricity you supply, the faster xenon would regenerate, up to a point. The end regeneration rate would be a set value, but the energy draw would still grow exponentially even after it has been reached (meaning you can't just leave it on without some huge passive EC generator). I am also toying with the idea of having the scoop detect when you're using an ION engine and automatically shut itself off.

Right now I am however focusing on getting the Data Storage to work, but progress is slow as I have other obligations to attend to...

Also, most of the textures are stock. The ION engines are literally upscaled models of the stock one. The texture used for the circular scoop belongs to Kerbtrek.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing a complete do-over of the SCIENCE!-y part of this pack to properly implement the new Lab features. I'm also going to put in more SCIENCE! options for both probes and manned landers. I'm aiming for an update later today or tomorrow at the latest. The old "Mk. II" versions of the probe bodies will be removed with this version.

I will try to get a rudimentary alpha of the Data Drives working using KAS and the new Kerbal EVA functionality by the end of the week. No promises on that however. Even if I do, it'll be a "download at own risk" type of thing...

I'm postponing the "official" 0.23 update until I manage to get all the SCIENCE! improvements figured.

The pack is nonetheless compatible with 0.23

Data Drives Alpha has an ETA of early January.

I'll be making a small "maintenance" hotfix to clear up a couple stray things in the files and remove the Mk II probe bodies later today.

Update time!

*V1.5.5 Current Version:

- Official 0.23 compatibility added. Due to the intended nature of the internal experiments, none would require a "reset" by a Lab.

- Added results for the Minmus biomes. Some might have a Khristmas-y theme. Blame egg-nog.

- Cleared some redundant lines and general maintenance.

- Removed the old "Mk II" probe bodies. Older craft are now incompatible. Recommend a clean install of the mod and evacuating any Kerbals attached to vessels using probe bodies.

• 2 weeks later...
These aren't mods, they are cfg edits, which pretty much anybody can do with a text editor. They don't require any particular skill.

If you can't do 3D models, you might want to team up with someone who can, but be warned: anyone who can make 3D models can also do cfg edits and might not approve of the cheatiness of your parts.

Dude. Seriously. if you don''t like the mod, don't download or use it. Other people obviously do. So do us all a favor, if you have input about some other mod you like, then go post there. But stop with the idiotic posts griping and moaning because you don't like something.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there, fellow rocketeers!

It's me, your beloved Ban-Anad- CEO of the Cabana Corporation!

I'm here today to tell you that, in a big PR attempt to raise more company awareness and market clout, Cabana Corp. will be releasing all its' future endeavours to the public via a privately owned news network*. Along with that, space-bound entrepreneurs will now be able to purchase** official Cabana Corp. vehicles and launch systems.

Cabana Corp. station modules, planetary bases and satellites will still remain classified and will not enter commercial production.

To update yourselves on the latest Cabana Corp news, click this link!

The Cabana Corporation's Research & Development News Network

NOTICE: The News Network will not cover the research and development going into current or future Cabana Corp. products.

Thank you for your time!

This is Ban-Anad, signing off!

*Off-camera*

Zhu-Li?! Where's my coffee? I told you to get it 10 minutes ago! God-dammit... Are we still recording? Cut the feed! CUT IT OFF!... Is it off? Good... I should really start recoding these...

*That's the blog, I'm still on the fence about actual videos.

**Not in real-life... Keep up with the role play!

Edited by BananaDealer

Do you have a .zip download? My file converter don't like this one, either.

Check the OP.

Also, Madrias- if you like ION-styled engines, check the IonHybrid pack by EPD. It's not exactly career compatible (so far as I know), but I'm aiming to fix that with the "optional" config.

Edited by BananaDealer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.