Project BABYLON

Tada

What is currently a priority and I feel there is a gap - building and launching capital ships.

Theres "Damkina" class mothership, which needs to be powerful enough to fly to Laythe with crew and cargo (I kinda like radial attachment points like on Temstars Olympus OPD II which are working - with minor tweaks, I´ve put docking ports so they can "pull" cargo as a trailer for some ships). I personaly have no experience of building such large vessel, but it is ascent stage which bothers me most.

And of course "Marduk" the light cruiser, which would even more complicated. I´ve been trying out Macey Dean´s "Dreadnought" class with some succes. Main problem is, that it cannot reach Laythe, not even on a good day, other problem is, that when you expend your ammunition it is useles and you may as well deorbit the whole thing. I think, that "Marduk" should be armed with at least 2-4 missiles made of SRBs facing forward. To make them reloadable missiles will be equiped with docking ports on both ends, so they can be docked by light service craft on to the hard points of the ship. What I find very good is the "Smart Missile System" very light - RCS tank, flat probe body, linear RCS port and docking port and yet it can devastate smaller craft - ideal for defense of a space station or capital ship. As far as armor goes - it is almost useles, because it can be destroyed by simple missile made of nosecone and sepratrons. Armor realy protects only againts smaller projectiles, so "Marduk" class light cruiser should have armor only on vital areas to keep parts and weight down.

Wow, this is really cool. I could *totally* see something like this further down the development pipeline as an alternative "Epic" career mode where you build ships to meet the requirements, and then use them in practice to achieve an ultimate goal. The whole idea would be to do exactly like Project BABYLON: Give players a general direction with some nice stepping stones along the way to achieve some "simple", difficult goals! Really awesome!

ROFLCopter64bit: Very nice, simple and practical. Just one thing missing - small docking ports - fighters I tend to use are both using small docking ports. Is there anywhere a probe body on the station? On Saphire it would be a must for situations when station will have to be abandoned.

I can add a 1.25-0.5m adapter with 5 ports. One of those 6 sided multiple connector thingos. But with Jr. docking ports.

Ok, tommorow I´ll post crew list and task distribution, today I´m bit all over my head :wink:

I´ll share savefile which will include ships which I would like to use for project for crew to get familiar with these.

I have designed a Calf class tanker, capable of holding twice the required and with loadsa Dv. I also designed an ammo transition system for torps, with decoupler cannons you need two ships right next to each other to fix the parent/child relationship problems KSP has - this makes for 2 docks instead of 1 to reload - is this alright? EDIT2:

eNAyga9.png

This is my cannon system. It works like so: It begins attached to the fueselage like so. It is transfered from the 'carrier' (what it is attached to) to the 'loader' via the docking port on the front. It will now be the right way around. The 'carrier' detaches and moves away, and the 'loader' transfers it to the cruiser. The cruiser fires the docking port 'cap' off, and it is ready. When the clip is spent, the docking port is jettisoned and reloads can proceed again. :confused:

jUiQAVq.png

My calf tanker

Edited by Octobomb

Is it okay if I use MechJeb (only informationally, to determine phase angle)? I can even jettison the related part once I get to Jool, and delete the debris, if you want. I wouldn't use it for auto-pilot though: what challenge would that be!

So here we go :)

Crew of Project BABYLON:

Munstation - pilot/small to medium ship builder

benjiful9000 - pilot/capital ship builder

hollie.socks - pilot in training/videomaker

Octobomb - pilot/logistic ship builder

ROFLCopter64bit - pilot/space station builder

AustralianFries - pilot/videomaker

dennislinux - colonyship builder

People I will contact soon:

The Error - armed ships

Ringer

I will upload the savefile in few hours. You all get familiar with the ships contained.

First mission is going to be flown by me - Laythe orbiting satelite.

Second mission will be ROFLCopter64bit building the space station "Horizon"

Ringer - well, you may create a copy of savefile and use Mechjeb for your testing there :) But main savefile is no mods ... :)

Shall I import my 'Calf' to the save? Also: Missions within Kerbin's SOI are easy for me, but docking and interplanetary are too much for me atm, so some help would be nice.

Thanks, Octobomb

Well, for you training purposes you may, but as official circulation of missions will go to "official" save-file it will get as soon as you will get your turn with mission - already send you a PM :)

Save circulation will work like that - I will send official save to a member of crew, which will fly a appointed misson, saving it and he will send the save file back to me and I´ll realase it for others do download or maybe we will come up with something more efficient than that :D

And we´re off!

I´ve made the maiden flight with Laythe Recon probe.

Project BABYLON save file is HERE

So I propose, all members of crew get familiar with crafts included.

Next turn is on ROFLcopter to build up the space station "Horizon"

936853_4789981275431_1160790935_n.jpg

Edited by Tada

Awesome ship you have made, and by that I speak to everybody. I'm sorry I couldn't reply till after this started, I was having account trouble, but I wanted to show you this.

nexus.png

I call it the Nexus, and I got it into orbit in one piece.

tell me if you want to use it (I know it is late).

Edited by the brain in a box

Well, you can get the save file, take a look on the ships there, try em out, get some experience and maybe you´ll see where you can fit into the project ;)

As Laythe colony so complex as I suggested this project is mostly for experienced pilots/builders, but as it will take some time for sure, you´ll be able to get experience and then join the crew...!

Thanks to ROFLCopter64bit we have working "Horizon" space station in 115km orbit above Kerbin.

Today I´ve took mission to equip station with some essential ships.

Light interceptor on it´s way to station

405819_4791895163277_1887967436_n.jpg

Heavy fighter during docking

947364_4791897123326_1181467787_n.jpg

Station with 3 crafts docked

183116_4791899003373_1214565598_n.jpg

So we´re pretty much set for all Kerbin SOI operations. I´ll maybe launch some other ships later today and relase save-file later.

For those wondering if they can join the crew or for crewmembers looking for a job - check out the ship list on the first page. Ships, that are up and running are marked blue, those did awaiting to be build are still black and you can take a look at these.

Edited by Tada

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.