Smallest rocket capable to send human being into orbit???

Pawelk198604

Well, technicaly, I think that might be the Pegasus. But, the size of the thing would mean a pretty cramped capsule, with a weight considerably less than the mercury capsules. Not sure it would be possible to put a heatshield on it, so, do you ean put a human in space, and bring him/her safely down again? Or just into orbit?

edit: yeah, the Pegasus takes some 443 kg to LEO. So, subtract he weight of the astronaut, (say roughly 100 kg, including a skinsuit.) now, with a suit and a helmet, forego a pressurised cabin, a simple liquid nitrogen RCS system, no parachute or heatshield for returning, no dockingring, it should be possible to make a minimalistic vehicle able to launch one human being into LEO for being picked up by another vehicle in orbit. That is the smallest possibilitiy I can think of.

Edited by Thaniel

It depends what you want to do with a man once he's up there and for how long you want him to stay alive.

I would think that Mercury-Atlas is just about as small as you could make a spacecraft if you want any chances of survival after a few hours in space. The Mercury capsule was only 1.3 tons (including the astronaut and consumables).

It depends what you want to do with a man once he's up there and for how long you want him to stay alive.

I would think that Mercury-Atlas is just about as small as you could make a spacecraft if you want any chances of survival after a few hours in space. The Mercury capsule was only 1.3 tons (including the astronaut and consumables).

If you increase the number of stages (say, three), I think you could drop the weight on the pad a bit. Using H2/LOX as fuel might give you a tiny further advantage (the Delta IV is very light for its payload, for example). But yeah, around there is the minimum.

Rune. Lowest cost would be a completely different problem, as is also proven by the Delta IV.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.