[0.19] Dunebug II - Duna Return, separate CM, Lander, Open Top Buggy - New Design!

• 4 weeks later...

I got into Duna orbit for the first time ever, thanks to your rocket! Whether or not I'll have enough fuel to land is another matter. I did a wasteful landing with Munbug so I'm worried about stranding them. I thought there was another fuel tank for acsent :/

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! As with Munbug, there just isn't enough fuel to get back into orbit, whether I land manually or with MechJeb. The only option is tipping the ascent stage upside down, putting a Kerbal on the engine, fire upwards, and somehow rendezvous with the Kerbal with the command module...

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! As with Munbug, there just isn't enough fuel to get back into orbit, whether I land manually or with MechJeb. The only option is tipping the ascent stage upside down, putting a Kerbal on the engine, fire upwards, and somehow rendezvous with the Kerbal with the command module...

You need to use aerobraking when you arrive at duna to get into orbit to save on fuel. Descent should use almost no fuel as you have parachutes... just a little to slow down when landing.

I don't know what to suggest for Munbug though... it has plenty of fuel. I fly it a lot.

You need to use aerobraking when you arrive at duna to get into orbit to save on fuel. Descent should use almost no fuel as you have parachutes... just a little to slow down when landing.

I don't know what to suggest for Munbug though... it has plenty of fuel. I fly it a lot.

Meh. I did aerobrake. I tried doing an EVA from the Mun's surface to orbit with help from the engine, but I failed. I'll try going straight up, and rendezvousing with the Kerbal.

• 1 month later...

Is it intended that I use so many stages just to get into orbit?

When I was finally in a LKO at 100km peri & api, I had just emptied all the fuel from stage 7. (Or stage 5 full tank if you prefer).

We're all those initial stages intended to just get the ship in orbit? Or did I overspend some fuel?

Is it intended that I use so many stages just to get into orbit?

When I was finally in a LKO at 100km peri & api, I had just emptied all the fuel from stage 7. (Or stage 5 full tank if you prefer).

We're all those initial stages intended to just get the ship in orbit? Or did I overspend some fuel?

if you look at the pics in the first post you can see the various stages and where you should be. But remember this was made back in 0.19

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've always wanted to fly this ship since I started in 0.9, but it's been buggy since things have changed a lot in KSP.  So I set out to do a re-creation!

I constructed the ship from scratch to guarantee parts were together correctly.  The only changes are in the lander and the rover.  The rover had to be re-built to fit into the stack-up properly, and I needed to adjust the spacing on the connections so the rover would drop down from the lander.  It also disconnects differently and ejects a portion off the rover after deployment on the surface.  Wheels and landing gear are pretty explosive right now, so it was dangerous!  I also had to add 3 liquid fuel tanks clipped into the lander, it just didn't have the dV it used to.  This means you have to transfer fuel into them before the Duna landing.  Perhaps a few tweaks are needed here and there, but it's pretty much complete.

Thanks to Mulbin for originally designing this ship, it's a blast!

7mwydFb.png
YmYaInJ.png
5oSlX9T.png
V6Z81TH.png
NSMmPP3.png
YVOVmBL.png
mmcEWjH.png
3V3OgLw.png
imR71mx.png
zc302HW.png
ctaSYHg.png
3DNQYt4.png
w3xZXnm.png
LLIkAOY.png
kADFhsE.png
ArqbLJB.png
iRNsnrR.png
aSn0ZaA.png
h8VyjFI.png
TLORZnF.png
qfcpONZ.png
mzZwctI.png
oASlB9i.png
41EEjM4.png
gKbZjck.png
EBmoCv1.png

Edited by CloudlessEchoes
Imgur broke albums.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.