[0.19] Dunebug II - Duna Return, separate CM, Lander, Open Top Buggy - New Design!

Signature-Banner-Munbug_zpsc439a39c.jpg

I finally had time to finish testing and tweaking Dunebug II, this is a complete rebuild from the ground up rather than a tweaked version of Dunebug I with a much slicker lander design and 100% stock buggy - with no ladder slipping at all! (thanks to my new kerbonaut clamping technique ;) )

Hot keys

1. extend aerial in top of rocket (to make it more pointy for launch!)

Backspace. - fire escape tower

2. jettison tower and open chutes (for after abort)

3-4. Toggle rcs on CM or Lander (saves fuel if you only use one or the other while connected)

5. Deploy CM dish and EVA ladders (hit this once in orbit around Kerbin)

6. Deploy Lander (hit this once on the surface of Duna)

I'll add flight instructions later! - most importantly you need to use Duna's atmosphere to slow you down when you arrive!

Buggy - once your kerbals are on the ladders, select the buggy and hit G to lower the legs that will clamp them in place!

The file

http://www./?3rhehh4mdwdclng

Some pics of Dunebug II's maiden voyage. (spoilers are still broken, sorry!)

screenshot0_zps7e116e2f.jpg

screenshot20_zps53c1eb7d.jpg

screenshot27_zps74f2c96f.jpg

screenshot42_zps3d16f42a.jpg

screenshot72_zpsb2370965.jpg

screenshot94_zpscf6f6c6f.jpg

screenshot106_zps15d1940a.jpg

screenshot114_zps5acad785.jpg

screenshot118_zps8a9d7077.jpg

screenshot126_zps1c7a0c91.jpg

screenshot135_zpsb65c72ee.jpg

screenshot138_zps1465311d.jpg

Old version (Dunebug I) can be downloaded here.

Stock - http://www./?47s7vq58e22yr72

With mod Buggy - http://www./?heifuydqfd659p5

Edited by Mulbin

Epic. Nice work. How long did that take to build?

... on and off... about a month lol. Took a lot of test flights and adjustments... even the one in the pics has had some slight adjustments to the buggy and lander legs to allow smoother deployment of the buggy.

On paper, the delta V is too low for a Duna landing (using mechjeb stats). I'm flying it right now though (thanks for using stock parts only!) so I guess I'll soon find out! :)

I landed it on Duna just now. You need an aerobrake at 12km which should give you roughly a 250km apoapsis. Then, get into a non decaying orbit. Once your orbit is stable, just burn retrograde for a few seconds with the lander section and wait for the parachutes to deploy. When they have all deployed you should be falling at around 9m/s, so just thrust gently to get your vertical velocity to about 4m/s and you'll gently touch down. I haven't tried reorbiting yet though.

On paper, the delta V is too low for a Duna landing (using mechjeb stats). I'm flying it right now though (thanks for using stock parts only!) so I guess I'll soon find out! :)

Mechjeb isn't accurate. I had a separate test:when it say 2400ms the craft was able to 3700ms. When it say 1600ms the effective was 2300ms. So... I don.t use mj neither to navigate neither to calculate. And... To the thread creator i have to say that is a really nice rover i like it. And nice shoot!

As with all my creations, this is not guaranteed to work with Mechjeb as I don't use it. It never seems to know how to fly my rockets efficiently.

I've completed two return missions with this ship now. You shouldn't use any fuel to slow down at duna, just make small course corrections on your way to ensure that you hit the atmosphere at around 12k (Kingjeb got it spot on!)... see the screenshot of the flaming ship :) If you get it right you should come out of the atmosphere with an apoapsis of a few hundred max... I came out at 150k on my second mission :), then I usually move the crew to the lander and detach at this point and just circle my orbit with the CM alone while the lander continues back towards the atmosphere.

I'd recommend good use of quick save setting up your approach to Duna!

I landed it on Duna just now. You need an aerobrake at 12km which should give you roughly a 250km apoapsis. Then, get into a non decaying orbit. Once your orbit is stable, just burn retrograde for a few seconds with the lander section and wait for the parachutes to deploy. When they have all deployed you should be falling at around 9m/s, so just thrust gently to get your vertical velocity to about 4m/s and you'll gently touch down. I haven't tried reorbiting yet though.

... it's like you are reading my flight plan lol, only difference is I detach the lander before stabilizing my orbit so I only have to get the CM stable and let the lander drop back again... saves another egg cup full of fuel ;)

How did you make the kerbals sit on the buggy that you made?

They are holding on to ladders, the lander legs are stopping them from sliding off of the top. The buggy has a probe core to you can control it.

Just a couple of notes...

I'd recommend aiming for a final CM orbit of 45,000 as the lander has just enough fuel to get up to about 50,000 so it's nice to have a little spare for adjustments. Transfer any spare fuel back to the CM after docking then jettison the lander (it has a probe core so you can de-orbit with remaining rcs if you want). Should be enough fuel left in the CM for the return as long as you burn at the right time (I use protractor to tell me the best time... it's easier than looking at charts!)... I have a backed up save before I came home from my last mission so I will check how much fuel you need to have saved in the CM and post later.

Everytime I build a craft that long and skinny it tips over on ascent. Now you've made two - with seemingly little effort. *mad*

Love ya work. Keep sharing!

Thanks for the compliment! I'm also glad if I make it look easy lol... in actual fact each of my ships takes about a month of development!

well Mulbin, speaking of fairings. you have seen teh fairings on teh Soyuzrockets in my thread, and i saw some other even bigger fairingsattempts with the stock plates. i think it would be possible to build fairings for it. but it don't know if the additional weight will have an impact on the capability of the rocket. more testing i guess :D

well Mulbin, speaking of fairings. you have seen teh fairings on teh Soyuzrockets in my thread, and i saw some other even bigger fairingsattempts with the stock plates. i think it would be possible to build fairings for it. but it don't know if the additional weight will have an impact on the capability of the rocket. more testing i guess :D

You want fairings?... have a look at my latest creation. I use the Jool V rocket from my Dunebug to lift a fairing so big a whole space station fits inside :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/27119-0-19-Station-Kit-Mk1-A-space-station-in-a-box!-may-require-assembly

screenshot321_zpse016e9df.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.