Vote for the next body to be mapped

saik0

Which would you like to see mapped next?  

1. 1. Which would you like to see mapped next?

• Moho
    • Eve and Gilly
    • Duna
    • Ike
    • Dres
    • Laythe
    • Tylo
    • Vall
    • Bop and Pol
    • Eloo

With Kerbin done, and Mun and Minmus soon to follow I'm asking for the community to vote for which celestial body they would like to see next. Let me know why you think it's an a good candidate.

Check out the map of Kerbin if you haven't already at www.kerbalmaps.com

Edit: Voting closed, all ksp planets and moons have been mapped

Also see the release thread for news, release notes, and discussion.

Edited by saik0

How do you do the maps? is there a tutorial for how your doing this - maybe could share the load to get the other bodies done quicker?

Making the map tiles isn't whats holding the project up. Not knowing what the hell I'm doing with javascript is. :D

As to how: Custom plugins. The sat color data is obtained using the CreateMaps function. They look like this. Then we get elevation data by calling GetSurfaceHeight in a loop that outputs the data in a text grid. Then we use GDAL translate it into GeoTiff. From there I use the gtiff to generate a hillshade relief and overlay that on top of the color map to get the nice "satellite" view. Then I sample some colors from the color map at different elevations and make a color ramp and exaggerate them enough to not be confusing. We use that color ramp to make the color relief. Last we use the elevation again to compute slope, then apply another purple to pink color ramp to the slope map. I use the same slope colors for all bodies since values will always be 0-90 degrees.

Duna, has plenty of easter eggs that can be found, also it takes less time to map since its smaller than kerbin

Sonyeah, go for Duna

Actually it will take the same amount of time, but will be higher resolution :D Good point about the easter eggs though.

Edited by saik0

• 3 weeks later...

Aaaand the Minmus map is wrong, as far as I can tell. There is no anomaly that I could see, just boulders.

aGYTTKwl.jpg

Poor Jeb was dearly hoping he'd find something out here, especially after the rough touchdown in which one of the legs snapped clean off the lander...

Aaaand the Minmus map is wrong, as far as I can tell. There is no anomaly that I could see, just boulders.

aGYTTKwl.jpg

Poor Jeb was dearly hoping he'd find something out here, especially after the rough touchdown in which one of the legs snapped clean off the lander...

The Minmus anomaly is actually high up in the air, or at least it was. Try flying up and seeing if you can see it silhouetted against the ground, or if you have terrain rendering set to low, try clipping the camera through the ground and see if you can see it there.

No love for the Joolian moons I see. Tylo might be nice to have a good map of. It can be tough to land and take off from, so it might help to know where the high, flat areas are. Bop and Pol could be interesting because of how absurdly uneven they are.

Great work though, these are really well done.

Now I'll have to go check out this mysterious, fourth anomaly you've shown on Duna.

No love for the Joolian moons I see. Tylo might be nice to have a good map of. It can be tough to land and take off from, so it might help to know where the high, flat areas are. Bop and Pol could be interesting because of how absurdly uneven they are.

Great work though, these are really well done.

Now I'll have to go check out this mysterious, fourth anomaly you've shown on Duna.

Please share your expedition with us, I get the locations straight from game data so I've not had a chance to visit it myself. The name of the object in the game is SPOILER Pyramid SPOILER.

Edit: Put a flight capable rover down and investigated the surrounding terrain and skies, found nothing. Until I can confirm something is there, I'm removing it from the map.

Edited by saik0

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.