Editor Tools

Umbra

Hi, just before the servers went down, I found a great mod: it was called something like "editor tools" by deadbeaf. Sadly I do not find this mod anymore.

Does someone knows a similar mod or know if there is a new version of this mod?

Thanks,

Umbra

Everything works except holding shift (or alt or ctrl, can't remember now) to disable part clipping.

It's annoying because that was one of the most useful workarounds for the buggy radial tanks. Now you have to hit Alt-F12, grab the menu and move it somewhere else so you don't accidentally pick something up from the parts menu, select the clipping mode and then close the menu again... and then you can attach radials easy again. Before it was hold down CTRL and attach the radial... job done. I hope Deadbeef fixes it or squad fixes the editing system... or even put it back to 18.4.

All you have to do is place the tank ANYWHERE on the ship before placing it radially in symmetry. I usually keep the top node of my command pod or the bottom node of my engine free until I finish my rocket. Than I can just pop the fuel tank there and then move it to wherever I want it...

@Neo I don't think Deadbeef can fix this. Looking at the code it's setting CheatOptions.AllowPartClipping (which, browsing the other functions that class has, is obviously KSP specific rather than Unity), so it appears to be a bug in KSP, I guess. Probably should check whether it's a known bug or not...

@Neo I don't think Deadbeef can fix this. Looking at the code it's setting CheatOptions.AllowPartClipping (which, browsing the other functions that class has, is obviously KSP specific rather than Unity), so it appears to be a bug in KSP, I guess. Probably should check whether it's a known bug or not...

Nevermind. I was wrong - it is a plugin problem. Quick fix I tried seems to be working. I'm a little confused about how the old code ever worked. (Did Unity's Monobehavior.Update method change from an older version of KSP or something?)

That's a good question - can I? IP law is absolute rubbish in my opinion, but I don't want to get banned for some "intellectual property" violation or something.

I should do it right first, anyway - like I said I just did a "quick fix" (toggle only, no momentary CTRL mode) and should probably test a bit more.

But yeah I'm happy to share if that's allowed.

That's a good question - can I? IP law is absolute rubbish in my opinion, but I don't want to get banned for some "intellectual property" violation or something.

I should do it right first, anyway - like I said I just did a "quick fix" (toggle only, no momentary CTRL mode) and should probably test a bit more.

But yeah I'm happy to share if that's allowed.

What's his license say? I'd check but not on the computer. We need someone to pick up the plugin and keep it working :)

What's his license say? I'd check but not on the computer. We need someone to pick up the plugin and keep it working :)

I don't think he included any licence with any of his mods... :/

Without a license you can't redistribute his code or a modified version of it. But patches are perfectly fine as it's an original work. Context is covered under fair use. Open source projects do this all the time -- distribute patches for third party code that they can't or won't redistribute because of its license terms.

So you could at the very least say "On line X, change Y to Z and recompile" and be in the clear. That way if someone wrote their own replacement from scratch they could also know what to avoid doing.

Yes, PLEASE post the fix... As he included the source code it's definitely open source time so you should be able to distribute it as long as you supply the sourcecode and maybe label the bits you changed.

I would imagine that anything you added to the code would be considered a derivative work. Unless he licensed it to specifically allow modification or redistribution you can't do it. You can certainly post the "how to" but you can't post the actual fix itself without violating the basic copyright rights (which is dumb).

That's not the case, the forum rules say source code has to be included for all plugins published on the forum whether they're open source or not.

Damn.... if that's the case I better check the code I'm using for my KGC program. I was using the 1.9.8 MechJeb code and the crxTelemetry codes as a start for my system... I know the MechJeb team know I am doing it but not the crxTelemetry guy.

Oh god, I'm reminded why I hate "copyright" and "patent*" (*luckily not the case here, for the record) so much. Everyone suffers as a result of the monopoly. An even bigger tragedy is that the original author would probably welcome a fix. Maybe I'll start a thread in the off topic forum about this later, I shouldn't complain about it here.

What if someone were to write a different plugin which does the same thing? Inevitably it would be extremely similar--even more so for me, since I already have the knowledge of how this plugin was written. I don't know what to say...

I guess the best I can do (stupid as this is, we CAN create a "derivative" work for ourselves if we don't distribute) is explain that you just need to toggle CheatOptions.AllowPartClipping to true or false on a keypress within the Update() method. What I did was so simple I feel silly even calling it a "fix". That's a "quick" fix anyway. But I feel bad for the non-programmers who can't do this themselves.

Are we certain that I can't even post a code clip? Ex. replace XYZ code with ZYX? It's only a few lines.

Edited by Garoad

Patents are another matter but I think this situation is sensible, the author did put the work in so it's only fair to give them control, and not assume you can do things that they didn't give permission for.

Rewriting the plugin from scratch is fine, as is posting the new lines of code required to fix it.

If you can figure out how it should be perfectly allowable to make a binary patch(er), that itself only contains the changes to the code and where to overwrite it on the plugin file. But yea, have fun with that

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.