[20/11/2014][0.25] FTmN Atomic Rockets

Kommitz

Hey for the next update could you also add them to the tech tree? It only takes 5 seconds to copy the regular nuclear engine's [TechRequired = nuclearPropulsion, entryCost = 22600] code (assuming you don't want them unlocked later on or something)

Hey for the next update could you also add them to the tech tree? It only takes 5 seconds to copy the regular nuclear engine's [TechRequired = nuclearPropulsion, entryCost = 22600] code (assuming you don't want them unlocked later on or something)

Yes, but you would still need a custom tree.cfg.

I'm thinking about where to place them atm, but they'll probably be in the same tier. Ideally though there would be a few different levels of nuclear engines to unlock. We'll see how open the tech trees get for modding later (or I'll find a good modded tree to use).

jPxRNlt.jpg

Also I'm texturing this guy up and when I'm done the engines should be ready for launch ( ̄▽ ̄)

Well, since Experimental Rocketry is a made-for-mods stock node, you can use that node. It requires the player to have the Nuclear Engines already, so it could be a good choice. Downside: the node costs 1000 science to unlock.

I'm thinking about where to place them atm, but they'll probably be in the same tier. Ideally though there would be a few different levels of nuclear engines to unlock. We'll see how open the tech trees get for modding later (or I'll find a good modded tree to use).

jPxRNlt.jpg

Also I'm texturing this guy up and when I'm done the engines should be ready for launch ( ̄▽ ̄)

You could do what mechjeb did for their mod and unlock the engines earlier within the tech tree and as you progress you start unlocking features, efficiency, etc. Check out the MJ cfg files.

You could do what mechjeb did for their mod and unlock the engines earlier within the tech tree and as you progress you start unlocking features, efficiency, etc. Check out the MJ cfg files.

I think that migt require a plugin.

Yes it does, just think of the possibilities and uniqueness. It would be an engine type that evolves and becomes better over time. I believe your designs are worth the effort. They are awesome engines.

Well, it's up to Kommitz to decide. I agree, though, an engine that becomes better with tech progression woud be awesome, but I don't think the MechJeb plugin could do that - it seems to be tailored for MJ2 specifically. So, a custom plugin - which could then also be used by other mods.

Oh, and @kommitz, how about making an optional "afterburner" mode for your nuclear engines once 0.23 rolls out? That means that they could switch from 800 Isp low thrust liquid hydrogen mode to a 600 Isp, high(ish) thrust liquid hydrogen/oxidizer mode. Thus, you could trade Isp for thrust, without having to launch another craft.

Hey, when I add NTR support to modular fuels techlevels system, you can just use that--that's _exactly_ what the techlevels system does.

Hmm, I'll have to spend some time to look in to that. I'm meaning to config all the engines for realfuels too eventually.

Also I've just updated with the FTmN 160 and retextured, reworked FTmN280:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/fatman-series-atomic-rockets/

Feedback is appreciated :D

I've just put the engines into the Atomic Rockets node on the tech tree for now, I'll wait and see how research develops before I worry about making the unlocks a bit more in depth.

Edited by Kommitz

I do love these, and they did better each update. However, somewhere lost in time is the "Multi-Spherical Tank" (2mSphereRing), which is one of my favorite tanks. Consider this a vote to see that one brought back. :)

What happened to the tiny RTG engine?

It was mostly finished, but then I changed my mind a bit as I think it would be more useful if it could fit under the small landing legs. Reworking it a bit to see if I can keep the looks and make that work, and because it takes me ages to finish things I thought it'd make sense to release what's done so far.

I do love these, and they did better each update. However, somewhere lost in time is the "Multi-Spherical Tank" (2mSphereRing), which is one of my favorite tanks. Consider this a vote to see that one brought back. :)

Oh, I'm not sure when I actually released that but I can easily put it back when I add in the new fuel tanks.

Also is the FTmN 280 attached properly to peoples old ships? The origin point/CoM changed but the attach points are the same as always, not sure if I'll need to fix it.

If you're willing to take a request (a simple one I hope)

how about a fuel tank with flattened (yet slightly rounded ends) such as on the old Space: 1999 Ultraprobe? (not totally rounded like on the back of some of the fuel tanks)

Or actually, even just an end cap that could fit onto existing tanks....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.