Bothering Magic Boulder [pic heavy - SPOILERS]

Brotoro

A couple of bug explanations:

The time warp offset is a physics calc bug, when it goes on rails it rounds the apparent position. Also, I'm semi-sure the boulder is somehow part of Ike's Terrain mesh which explains the glitchiness.

Good mission!

It's such a good read, I come back from time to time just to look once more :)

I'm from St. Louis, I'm curious if you are from the area and that's why the Twain, Lewis, and Clark references?

When I started my missions to explore all of the Kerbol System planets/moons back in 0.18, I decided to hang the lander on the side of the mothership (instead of on the top) because it made the ship more compact and less wobbly. But if you are going to put the lander on the side, you need some counterweight on the other side. And what better counterweight than another copy of the lander? That way you have redundancy and you get the opportunity to explore two targets on each mission.

The obvious names for two explorer ships that came to me were Lewis and Clark (and I envision that Lewis Kerman and Clark Kerman were explorers of some newly opened territory on Kerbin). Because the mothership would be carrying TWO landers, I named it the Mark TWAIN.

No, I'm not from the St. Louis area... I harken from further up the Mississippi in Minnesota (although now I live in New Mexico).

- - - Updated - - -

The time warp offset is a physics calc bug, when it goes on rails it rounds the apparent position.

I figured it had something to do with that, but I wasn't able to understand why other objects in orbit near your ship don't behave similarly when you time warp (don't they also go on rails during the time warp?).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/6/2015 at 3:05 AM, Brotoro said:

I hope we can all get the chance to return to Magic Boulder some day.

Looks like you have gotten your wish!

Sorry for the necropost, but with the recent re-release of Magic Boulders into the wild, this might be considered a relevant mission report.

• 1 year later...

1. great read 

2. TELL ME YOUR MANEUVERING SECRETS!!! i always need to wing everything and do things manually :( i always do indirect approaches to the mün and minmus which i attempted many times. check out my youtube channel cats r gr8 on which i uploaded one of my worst minmus failures and also indirect approaches are the ones where you raise your orbit until you reach the desired object's level and wait for an encounter

On 9/29/2015 at 7:50 PM, Sheppard said:

I got this EVA Report from Ike's South Pole: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=526918477

Could it be back?

huh what how can you toggle EVA suit?? i dont have that option and its recorded check my youtube channel "cats r gr8" out and it was a failed minmus mission i recorded. youll see why

3 hours ago, guythatcantreachminmus404 said:

hey where did my reply go?

3 hours ago, guythatcantreachminmus404 said:

why are my replies hidden?? :S

Sorry, new users go through an initial phase of having their posts approved before they appear, but you caught us with no staff online to approve them...

Anyway, this is a fairly old thread, the magic boulder isn't the same as it used to be...

12 hours ago, monstah said:

Sorry, new users go through an initial phase of having their posts approved before they appear, but you caught us with no staff online to approve them...

Anyway, this is a fairly old thread, the magic boulder isn't the same as it used to be...

ofc it not yall removed the darn thang :( or wait y arent a mod?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.