Multiplayer?

FreedomFighterEx

Whoa hold on, before you guy try to ram your magnificent rocket into me i just want to know if it will happen in Kerbal or not, it's look fun or confuse to be messing around with friends, create thing together and blow it up together then piss off each other.

I'm fine with messing around alone and chit-chat with my friend who play in same time, still i think it might be hard to add, how do we use Timewarp on multiplayer then?

well, my main moral of this is to blow my friend stuff up. I really really want to..........

Whoa hold on, before you guy try to ram your magnificent rocket into m

The fact that you wrote that means you know of the reaction to previous multiplayer threads, and should know that multiplayer is never coming to KSP, and so you should not have started another thread on it.

Squad are not going to look at multiplayer at this time, they want to concentrate on the game.

That said, their is nothing preventing Squad from making multiplayer the focus of one of the KSP expansions that will come after KSP is complete, and this something they want to do.

So the answer is "Maybe, later"

:)

i just want to know if it will happen in Kerbal or not

No.

how do we use Timewarp on multiplayer then?

This is the problem.

well, my main moral of this is to blow my friend stuff up. I really really want to..........
create thing together and blow it up together then piss off each other

So the only reason you want squad to invest time and money into developing 'multiplayer', is so you can ruin other people's creations?

I hope squad never develops multiplayer, so it can avoid the pointless grief it will cause.

KSP is not MineCraft in terms of community. It never will be.

why should i play with other people, that can eaisly ruin my hard earned (and surely satisfying) game experience? in a game like KSP where your skill alone is the key to a half assed successful mission, this factor is multiplied by the hundredthousands. if this thing goes MP, i just wasted money.

There are currently two limitations preventing the modding community from providing a viable multiplayer in KSP.

The first is the inability to control multiple objects at once, due in no small part to Squad working around a Unity limitation on active scene size to approximately 2.5km radius and the engine being coded with that in mind. The greatest minds in KSP modding are all looking into it when they have time, but no far nobody has devised a viable solution.

The second limitation is the sheer volume of code that would have to be put together. Working alone it could take years, even a team would likely need months to accomplish it.

Most of the other issues such as warp syncing and delegating control of docked craft already have been resolved in the theoretical sense to an acceptable solution, but because of the above two reasons nobody has yet attempted a working implementation.

why should i play with other people, that can eaisly ruin my hard earned (and surely satisfying) game experience? in a game like KSP where your skill alone is the key to a half assed successful mission, this factor is multiplied by the hundredthousands. if this thing goes MP, i just wasted money.

Plus the potential for griefing would be immense. Imagine, working for days setting up an interplanetary mission, and then as you're thrusting to get out of Kerbin's SoI, some lunatic smashes an SRB into your ship. If that was me staring at the twisted wreckage of my former interplanetary glory, I could tell you that I would never play in multiplayer again!

i just want to know if it will happen in Kerbal or not

No.

Not with that negative attitude!

I'm fine with messing around alone and chit-chat with my friend who play in same time, still i think it might be hard to add, how do we use Timewarp on multiplayer then?

This is the problem.

It's been said many times that you can try a DEFCON type approach, or just have multiplayer be asynchronous.

So the only reason you want squad to invest time and money into developing 'multiplayer', is so you can ruin other people's creations?

I hope squad never develops multiplayer, so it can avoid the pointless grief it will cause.

KSP is not MineCraft in terms of community. It never will be.

It will only cause grief if you choose to play with people who would want to cause grief.

You won't be forced to play multiplayer.

Plus the potential for griefing would be immense. Imagine, working for days setting up an interplanetary mission, and then as you're thrusting to get out of Kerbin's SoI, some lunatic smashes an SRB into your ship. If that was me staring at the twisted wreckage of my former interplanetary glory, I could tell you that I would never play in multiplayer again!

The moral of the story is, don't play with those types of people. You won't be forced to interact with people like that on KSP multiplayer if it is implemented, so don't.

And then the thread was locked.

Hey, neither Sal or Odin (who both have colourful names, which I assume makes them mods or something) have locked this, but they are aware of the thread.

Edited by Holo

Hi,

The only way is as follows: trading your game around, and others playing on it; then you get it back and you play on it.

Problems...Time Warp - Yes it is possible to use it; just make sure all your ships are in viable orbit and will last 90 days or so (keep a MAX Time Warp of 90 days per person and that ends their turn when they use it). Also make sure any of your ground structures can withstand the rogors of the 90-day time warp (DONT USE LANDER LEGS!).

MODS - everyone must have the same mods or some ships wont load; some people use MODS I dont care for; so you have a small group of people in the Multiplayer group who agree to MOD useage - problemo solvo.

Cdr Zeta

Hi,

The only way is as follows: trading your game around, and others playing on it; then you get it back and you play on it.

Problems...Time Warp - Yes it is possible to use it; just make sure all your ships are in viable orbit and will last 90 days or so (keep a MAX Time Warp of 90 days per person and that ends their turn when they use it). Also make sure any of your ground structures can withstand the rogors of the 90-day time warp (DONT USE LANDER LEGS!).

MODS - everyone must have the same mods or some ships wont load; some people use MODS I dont care for; so you have a small group of people in the Multiplayer group who agree to MOD useage - problemo solvo.

Cdr Zeta

Yeah this is basically whats happening for stuff like Construction of space stations, etc.

I am... sorta suprised that this survived this long :P

Hey, neither Sal or Odin (who both have colourful names, which I assume makes them mods or something) have locked this, but they are aware of the thread.

First off I watched sal become a mod (a little after he destroyed an old thread of mine, still no reason why) and second I was asking this to be closed as these threads have never gone anywhere, just repeating.

It may yet make it into the game. 2014, perhaps. Squad is hard at work adding resource mining and Career Mode. Put simply, they are adding more fun to the game for when multiplayer is ready. I'm sure it will be here before we're into beta.

Also, what would multiplayer accomplish that this forum does not?

We could all annoy each other, IN REAL TIME!

Seriously though, I resort to computer games because it's something I have complete control over, and which I can do at my own pace. I can't see any appeal to multiplayer games at all.

I was thinking of this and I think the Kerbal Livefeed idea sounds great. Here is what I'm thinking would work best, and be -comparatively- easy to implement.

1. One player hosts, not a server. They host and the others watch.

2. Other players can build ships and upload them to the host player to use, but they cannot actually control events in the game.

So I know what you're thinking, what does this really achieve? Well it'd be two things. First off, building the ships is a big part of the game, if you could make that a team effort that'd be brilliant just in and of itself. But secondly, and I would argue more importantly, KSP is a very hard game. It has a big learning curve and there is a hell of a lot to take in. I've sunk about fifty hours into this game since getting it and I completed my first Mun landing and return tonight, and I'd still be trying to make that happen if I hadn't been able to talk to a friend who has had the game longer and get some pointers. Some sort of system for closer cooperation, for teaching, exchanging ideas, demonstrating how things work, that'd be brilliant. You can go so much further in this game with a little guidance than you can with just blind experimentation.

My earlier post on page 1 details the biggest technical barriers with multiplayer.

As far as griefing goes, these servers would be required to use some type of system to restrict who can login for multiple reasons:

One is you won't be able to put more than maybe 3-4 people on a server at a time without enormous computing power because of the sheer amount of math involved in simultaneously calculating the physics for four vessels.

The other is to control griefing. You'll only want to do this with people you know well, that aren't going to grief you in ways that mess you up any more than docking practical jokes onto your station that you can easily dispose of.

As far as the status of the thread goes, while multiplayer does score quite high on the do not suggest list, as long as people discuss it in a civilized manner covering the advantages and drawbacks as well as technical details and possible implementation techniques, I see no reason for this thread to be closed.

Discussions with the modding community have resulted in nearly all of the operational details of how a KSP multiplayer should behave, including solutions for warp control and docking. But without the ability to control multiple vessels in the flight scene with no more than a few milliseconds delay, it just can't be built yet.

THe most popular warp approach though is to use a lowest common denominator system as follows:

Someone requests warp. Everyone then has 15 seconds to press abort warp or accept warp. If someone is doing a time-sensitive operation, they can abort the warp at this time and it cannot be requested again for 2 minutes real time.

If nobody presses abort warp, after 15 seconds for afk players to time out or everyone pressing accept, the players who hit accept warp are then taken to a screen where they can enter how long to warp with shortcut keys to warp to pending events such as a maneuver node or SOI change and maximum available warp rate.

Warp is then determined by the lowest common denominators of warp speed and warp duration, with all players warping together. After a warp has taken place, the game must wait 2 minutes real time before warp can be requested again so that people can check their vessel positions or adjust maneuvers accordingly.

For delegating control of docked vessels, one popular strategy is to embed an ownership tag into the docking clamps. Then a given module when docked is designated from docking clamp to docking clamp or end of tree, and the right click menu allows the current owner to transfer ownership to other players. You can only operate a docking clamp that is mated to a clamp with your name on it, but can dock onto any open port.

It really is just a matter of lack of API in the game engine, and programming effort to put together everything that would be required.

Edited by OdinYggd

I'm gonna take a step back and ask: why does KSP need multiplayer? Can someone really tell me what it will accomplish? I'd like to know.

The ability to have an actual space race with friends once the career mode has been implemented? Or to have a joint project and make an international space station of your own? Each bringing their own individual unique designs adding them to the station. Sure things might go wrong but thats life! Nothing is perfect, if you managed to get this working with the Kethane mod that would make for excellent competition to see who can capitalise on resources first.

I know it isn't quite what the OP was asking for but some of my friends and I have just been joining a google hangout and screen sharing while playing Kerbal. It offers a more communal feeling and a way for people to critique or offer suggestions, get inspiration and help newer players.

I saw that Kerbal Livefeed mod posted earlier and might have to check it out but then viewing others would be restricted to within the game and I like being able to watch them on my second monitor.

Anyway just something for you guys who want multiplayer to give a shot in the meantime.

I know it isn't quite what the OP was asking for but some of my friends and I have just been joining a google hangout and screen sharing while playing Kerbal. It offers a more communal feeling and a way for people to critique or offer suggestions, get inspiration and help newer players.

I saw that Kerbal Livefeed mod posted earlier and might have to check it out but then viewing others would be restricted to within the game and I like being able to watch them on my second monitor.

Anyway just something for you guys who want multiplayer to give a shot in the meantime.

Oh god I entirely forgot about Google Hangouts..