Docking Strut

Canopus

I don't know where the idea comes from they don't work anymore but that is complete bull crap. They work just fine.

They actually don't work. Previous versions work okay, but the current version will cause your craft to spin uncontrollably. You might just have an older version.

They actually don't work. Previous versions work okay, but the current version will cause your craft to spin uncontrollably. You might just have an older version.
Do you have link to one of those older version?

• 2 weeks later...

I tried using the docking strut between two docked ships I'm building a space station out of. The spinning can be corrected using ASAS, but once I connected two of them, everything else spontaneously combusted.

• 2 weeks later...

does everyone forget about the "strut gun" in the quantum struts pack, that essential makes physical struts with whatevers in front of it when u activate it....? dont know if that would be useful to u

does everyone forget about the "strut gun" in the quantum struts pack, that essential makes physical struts with whatevers in front of it when u activate it....? dont know if that would be useful to u

The Docking Strut is much more realistic, because you have to have two, pre-installed strut bases to connect. You can't just magically make a connection to wherever.

In (very bad) theory, a strut gun would work in real life, so long as it was well... planned and measured, metal cable, and a berthing point to embed itself to; but unless you update the docking strut, someone said it doesnt work in .19... so?

... but unless you update the docking strut, someone said it doesnt work in .19... so?

*FACEPALM* It DOES work! I use it all the time.

Have you tried it yourself yet? No, you have not! If you had you knew it works. Everybody, please stop repeating hearsay and scuttlebutt someone might have read somewhere at a certain place. :mad:

Have you tried it yourself yet? No, you have not! If you had you knew it works. Everybody, please stop repeating hearsay and scuttlebutt someone might have read somewhere at a certain place. :mad:

lol... i just read comments above wrong :P no need to get stressy; a simple mistake anyone can make, and right at this min; im sorting out my parts folder cause i have too many mods... i may try it out when i get my game to be stable

Edited by JonoRig

It's nothing personal JonoRig. I've been fighting this false rumor for quite some time now. Your remark about hearing something about it not working was a proverbial straw.

I understand your irritation in that case; the amount of.... infuriating posts (here and on steam) is quite high, but it was a misread is all, im quite tired; and dont skim read very well

Actually, it's not ENTIRELY untrue... because there's two different versions of it. One works right, one does not, because they use different attachment methods.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/docking-strut/ which if I remember correctly creates the strut as a physical object. There's an error in the way it's done, so when the strut is placed it causes an erroneous force out of nowhere, which can cause spinning, push the ship off course, or in the right circumstances even tear the ship apart. This is the 1.0.0.0 version.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/docking-strut-2/ an updated version, using a different locking method, that works just fine. It has an unsearchable, messed up spaceport page that simply has a link to a the file. If I remember correctly this is the 1.0.0.2 version, and was the version linked from the creator's forum thread before the database messed up.

In short, the hearsay is PART right...the version you can find easily IS messed up and doesn't work right...because it's an older, somewhat experimental version. The newer version, which can't be found in a spaceport search, is the version to use.

It's nothing personal JonoRig. I've been fighting this false rumor for quite some time now. Your remark about hearing something about it not working was a proverbial straw.

As someone who used docking struts religiously for docked orbital components and then found that it would in fact cause the bugs that we see repeated above it's not hearsay. Further I tested this myself, and with specific components. It was most certainly causing a thrust vector towards Kerbin that would deorbit craft.

NOT.

A.

RUMOR.

I was basing what I said off the creator's forum post from before the forums exploded directing people to use quantum struts while he worked on it or something. Obviously I can't link to that anymore.

@Tex_NL your reactions were way over the top, and you'd probably would have gotten a better response by not being so aggressive in your responses.

That said, I'm glad there's a functional version out there that works, and provides an alternative to quantum struts to those who want it.

Actually the working version at http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/docking-strut-2/ is 1.0.0.0, and the broken one is 1.0.0.1; the broken one has more complicated code and slightly later dates. Probably it was uploaded prematurely for whatever reason.

Note that the working one isn't without faults either - it suffers from the same problem as quantum struts if combined with octagonal struts, except that you have full control about both ends of the connection here.

Edit: from the source code of the broken version:

Changelog:

- Implemented more realistic strut physics. now each end of the strut is linked to the strut anchors.

- Fixed an exploit where relinking didn't check for valid links.

- Added a whole bunch of extra actionGroups; unling, relink & toggle link.

- Added a suite of cfg-configurable variables to make it a lot easier for partmodelers to create their own docking struts.

The problem is that point one doesn't work for various reasons.

Edited by a.g.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.