[0.21] OrbitalConstruction Redux 4.2 (Kethane + EL Compatibility Update)

Interfect

HDpnsut.png

I've updated Zorkinian's OrbitalConstruction mod for KSP 0.21. I've modified the orbit setting mechanism to work like HyperEdit, so it should no longer blow up your ships. It also now includes a landing feature.

License: Everything I make for KSP, I place into the public domain. The same cannot, unfortunately, be proved for Zorkinian, who originally made Orbital Construction. They never told me *not* to maintain their mod, so I did it.

Version 4.2 of this mod has compatibility with the latest Extraplanetary Launchpads and the Kethane 0.7.7. Unfortunately, due to inflation, RocketParts from previous saves are now worth only 1/400 as much.

The basic premise of this mod is that you build SpaceDocks (ships tagged with a certain part) in orbit around whatever you want. You then launch containers of RocketParts out to your SpaceDocks to fill them up. When that is done, you can build your ships at any SpaceDock, at the cost of RocketParts.

Download: Version 4.2 from MEGA.co.nz

Mirrors:

Version 4.2 from FileSmelt

BUGS GO HERE. I rarely check the KSP forums, but Github bugs go straight to my inbox.

The download has all of the OrbitalConstruction parts except the JumpDrive (which will not work with my version of the plugin) and a mis-categorized and overpowered Warehouse (which I have removed). It also now includes the "KE-OC-3D-OMG 3D Printer", which makes Rocket Parts out of Kethane at 99% mass efficiency. Right now this shows up as the Kethane pack's big Kethane converter, loading the model from the game's database; it will probably not show up at all correctly if Kethane isn't installed. I'm accepting submissions of better models for this.

Fork me on GitHub!

How To Use:

All parts are found under "Control".

1. Build a ship that has the SpaceDock part, and a container that holds RocketParts (the "Orbital Warehouse" parts are recommended). Put it into orbit, or land it somewhere.

2. Ship cargo containers of RocketParts to your space dock, until you have enough RocketParts there. RocketParts are just like any other resource; you can transfer them between ships while docked. To build a ship in orbit, you will need 125% of its mass in spare parts.

2.1. Alternately, you can ship Kethane to your SpaceDock, and convert it into RocketParts with the "KE-OC-3D-OMG 3D Printer".

3. Make a ship with one SpaceBuilt part on it, and launch it from the launchpad. (Using ships with "Launch Stability Enhancers" on them is now supported!) Use the "Orbital Construction" window to "Scan for docks". Select the SpaceDock you launched earlier, and hit "Build at selected dock". Your ship will be teleported into the same orbit as the selected dock, around a kilometer or so away, and the required amount of RocketParts will be deducted from the SpaceDock's supplies. If the dock was on the ground, be sure to click "Land at dock" to have your ship gently lowered to the ground in the vicinity of the landed SpaceDock. While it's slowly descending, make sure to rotate it so that it lands upright. Once it lands, the magical hover-field will dissipate.

Don't be alarmed when there's an explosion after the last button click; that's the SpaceBuilt part self-destructing.

Edited by Interfect
New version!

...does that include fuel or does the ship come dry?

It would be so much better in my opinion if they were dry, or if the construction facility requires not only the mass of your ship in spare parts but also all the fuel required to fill its tanks up (that is probably harder to do than just making them empty). Either way I also look forward to playing with this again, I can now build crazy ships without having to launch rockets that would clearly never even break the atmosphere if not for kerbal aerodynamics.

Since you have changed how the plug-in spawns the ship in orbit, have you tried to make ground bases?

I tried spawning a ship at a SpaceDock that was on the ground. The ship blew up. So no, ground bases don't work.

When you say 125% of the ships mass, does that include fuel or does the ship come dry?

Also thanks for fixing this. I look forward to trying it out!

It includes fuel. What really happens is the ship is teleported from the launch pad to the SpaceDock when you press the button, so any fuel it had when it was on the pad comes with it.

why the change from 100% to 125% ?

and if I load this over the previous version will it work just fine? (other than the jump drive)

It's at 125% because that's what the constant was in the source code when I started. Blame Zorkinian.

I can't think of any major problems that would result if you installed this over Zorkinian's latest version, other than the jump drive not working. The way SPaceDocks are saved is still the same. Try it and see.

If I am recalling correctly, the original version had issues with spacedocks in orbits other than Kerbin. From the picture at the top, this version _does_ work wherever you put a spacedock?

100% guaranteed to work with SpaceDocks orbiting Kerbin or Bop. I haven't tested any other bodies, but they ought to work too.

I tried spawning a ship at a SpaceDock that was on the ground. The ship blew up. So no, ground bases don't work.

It includes fuel. What really happens is the ship is teleported from the launch pad to the SpaceDock when you press the button, so any fuel it had when it was on the pad comes with it.

Instead of having it teleport there normally, how about getting it to teleport to planetary bases like the way hyperedit lands a ship? Just teleport it at a certain altitude at 0 m/s so the thing floats down to the surface?

100% guaranteed to work with SpaceDocks orbiting Kerbin or Bop. I haven't tested any other bodies, but they ought to work too.

Awesome. Looking forward to getting a chance to try this out. Along with a few other updated mods, it looks like it's time to start over again.

I seem to be having an issue getting the 25 spare parts modules into space. They tear apart any rocket I attach them too, and take nearly a dozen struts to stabilize. They seem to act unbalanced, or "too heavy". Putting two together causes pretty much instant destruction, I watched them literally 'drop through' whatever they attached too.

Also when I transfer them to an empty warehouse in orbit, the warehouse seems to react the same way. This, Mechjeb & B9 are my only other active mods. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I lied, I have Damned Robotics and KW Rocketry active as well. >_>

Edited by UNSA

beware, those 25 spare parts modules..... are 25 TONS.

it takes a very robust launcher to get one into LKO. I worked for 2 days to build a launcher that can get 2 at a time up. it isn't easy.

it isn't meant to be.

Care to share the .craft file for that one? Even with the KW Parts, I am struggling to come up with something that can stably get two at a time to orbit. :/

sure, I will put it up on my dropbox in a few min.... (no other mods, other than the Orbital construstion)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91149971/50t%20Parts%20Lifter.craft

Full discloseure: this is a heavilly modifed version of what was orginally a RemoteTech Launch Vehical - called the IPV.

This version has no remote tech parts, and has been super-reinforeced to now be a Very Heavy Lifter.

Completely capible of bringing 50tons of spare parts, 300 units of RCS, a small fuel tank and orbial engin for rendezvous and docking.

(note the Pod is 'hidden' under the docking port)

Edited by Fyrem

TT, does the fps lose happen in the VAB, or while sitting on the launch platform? if on the platform, it wont matter much since you will be 'useing' the space built identifier right after.

Step 1: add warehouse part to station

Step 2: add spacedock part to station ( if you have an existing station just stick it on the side of the warehouse )

Step 3: ship spare parts to station. They're heavy. They're resources that live in tanks like pretty much anything else.

Step 4: Construct vehicle as normal, add spaceborn part

Step 5: Launch vehicle as normal ( so whatever you build has to stand up in Kerbin gravity ), follow prompts.

I used the original a bit, but usually my creations would fly to pieces during launch. I'm hoping that's been fixed. It's a really convenient if roundabout way of launching awkward shaped things - you still have to do a bunch of launches to get enough parts up in space, but then the final product should emerge without needing a launcher. As I said though, it still has to withstand launchpad gravity...

TT, does the fps lose happen in the VAB, or while sitting on the launch platform? if on the platform, it wont matter much since you will be 'useing' the space built identifier right after.

It occurs when I load up in game and stays with me the whole time even after I have transported it up into space. The only way i can get around it is by decoupling the part from my ships which I don't want to do because debris...

Step 1: add warehouse part to station

Step 2: add spacedock part to station ( if you have an existing station just stick it on the side of the warehouse )

Step 3: ship spare parts to station. They're heavy. They're resources that live in tanks like pretty much anything else.

Step 4: Construct vehicle as normal, add spaceborn part

Step 5: Launch vehicle as normal ( so whatever you build has to stand up in Kerbin gravity ), follow prompts.

I used the original a bit, but usually my creations would fly to pieces during launch. I'm hoping that's been fixed. It's a really convenient if roundabout way of launching awkward shaped things - you still have to do a bunch of launches to get enough parts up in space, but then the final product should emerge without needing a launcher. As I said though, it still has to withstand launchpad gravity...

So basically.. you are launching from the part in space? But it must have a TWR high enough to "simulate" as if you were on Kerbin?

So basically.. you are launching from the part in space? But it must have a TWR high enough to "simulate" as if you were on Kerbin?

yes your launching from space. no you don't need TWR to launch from kerbin. you need enough launch clamps to keep it from collapsing untill you can click to send it to your spacedock

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.