[0.21] OrbitalConstruction Redux 4.2 (Kethane + EL Compatibility Update)

Interfect

It occurs when I load up in game and stays with me the whole time even after I have transported it up into space. The only way i can get around it is by decoupling the part from my ships which I don't want to do because debris...

We must be refering to different parts. The spaceport ID goes on you spacestation this part really should not be effecting fps.

The second part is the space"built" identifier. This goes on a ship that you want to be built "in space". This part is supos to auto-destruct once you use it. So again I don't understand why you are carring one around at all.

So basically.. you are launching from the part in space? But it must have a TWR high enough to "simulate" as if you were on Kerbin?

No. Think of it like this:

NASA sends up huge orbital "spacedock. That is the warehouse and spacedock parts, warehouse to store "parts" spacedock to identify it.

Then, NASA ships "parts" of a ship, onto that spacedock.

Eg:

You build a spacedock, then ship 50 tons of "spare parts". This means that you can now teleport a ship that weighs at max 50 tons, and will consume that from the spacedock inv, as if you built the ship from space.

We must be refering to different parts. The spaceport ID goes on you spacestation this part really should not be effecting fps.

The second part is the space"built" identifier. This goes on a ship that you want to be built "in space". This part is supos to auto-destruct once you use it. So again I don't understand why you are carring one around at all.

Hmm, odd. It isn't being removed from my ship when I jump (and I am meaning the space "built" part). I do have many mods on however so if it isn't occurring for you it might just be some conflicting mod. I will see if i can do some troubleshooting.

Love being able to build things in space at my dockyards, thanks for keeping this going.

Wonder if Majiir can trick kethane into becoming a solid, and possibly have a 'machine shop' part that can turn metal kethane into spare parts for us, give my mun base something more to do.

It would be so much better in my opinion if they were dry, or if the construction facility requires not only the mass of your ship in spare parts but also all the fuel required to fill its tanks up (that is probably harder to do than just making them empty). Either way I also look forward to playing with this again, I can now build crazy ships without having to launch rockets that would clearly never even break the atmosphere if not for kerbal aerodynamics.

Yes burn with low trust to empty tanks or use mods if you want to match up with an tanker in orbit.

This also let you have some fuel in tanks, like letting an miner go to minmus.

You can also use this mod to let an mothership spawn probes.

Thanks for this update.

I think that because the game spawns your ship a fair bit away from the station it would make it a little difficult or at least annoying to refuel. Besides, you'd still have to launch the same total mass of stuff to the station regardless of whether or not it spawned dry.

Well, making a launch consume fuel would presumably not be hard at all. Making that fuel appear in the new ship's tanks would be significantly harder, I'd imagine. Obviously a plugin can add/remove fuel ( fuel balancer is the obvious example of filling/emptying tanks ) but working out a suitable fuel fill & what type of fuel it needs is another matter.

Nice.

*raises hand*

Like OC does it build the vessel 5KM away, or is it like close like it should be, 200m?

It puts it (if I remember correctly) about 750m to 1250m away along the same orbit as the dock. Far enough away not to hit anything, but close enough to dock fairly easily.

I'm getting some serious frame drops when i add the "space built identifier" onto my ship. It roughly quarters my fps from 60 down to about 15. anyone else getting this?

That's because it's re-calculating the mass of the ship every frame to display in the GUI. Once you're done launching from a space dock, the part destroys itself, and the FPS drop should go away.

Instead of having it teleport there normally, how about getting it to teleport to planetary bases like the way hyperedit lands a ship? Just teleport it at a certain altitude at 0 m/s so the thing floats down to the surface?

I have been trying to implement this. I want to teleport the ship into orbit around the planet where the landed dock is (so the planet is loaded), and then land it with the HyperEdit landing code. The trouble is that if I start the landing as soon as I set the orbit, the landing code teleports the ship down, only to have it snap back to the orbit I just put it in. Since I don't really know anything about the undocumented KSP API, I'm not sure how to solve this problem. I'm going to try waiting for the user to press a button.

Hmm, odd. It isn't being removed from my ship when I jump (and I am meaning the space "built" part). I do have many mods on however so if it isn't occurring for you it might just be some conflicting mod. I will see if i can do some troubleshooting.

Did you click the button until the GUI disappeared? The button-click that hides the GUI is also the one that makes the part explode.

<snip> That's because it's re-calculating the mass of the ship every frame to display in the GUI. Once you're done launching from a space dock, the part destroys itself, and the FPS drop should go away.

can you reduce this? perhaps poll every second, or every 100 frames instead? the Lag this does cause is very hard to deal with. EG: I want to launch what will be a tanker, but I wish to launch it with only partly filled tank (otherwise it would eat up 300t of spare parts). so I sit on the pad and burn down the fuel till I get down to about 10% full. however since the polling is draging my system down so much, this takes over 40min even with using a Mainsail to burn off the fuel.

Love being able to build things in space at my dockyards, thanks for keeping this going.

Wonder if Majiir can trick kethane into becoming a solid, and possibly have a 'machine shop' part that can turn metal kethane into spare parts for us, give my mun base something more to do.

just add

MODULE

{

name = KethaneConverter

TargetResource = SpareParts

ConversionEfficiency = 0.2

KethaneConsumption = 10

PowerConsumption = 12

HeatProduction = 800

}

after the normal converters in one of the converter parts and it will convert kethane to spare parts...

now if only the problems with spawning at great distances are solved as well...

Some bugs:

-"OC_Warehouse" part has a wrong category setting, it appears in the propulsion tab

-"OC_LargeWarehouse" seems to have a wrong maxamount setting, it is set to 400, when "OC_Warehouse" has a capacity of 1000

just add

MODULE

{

name = KethaneConverter

TargetResource = SpareParts

ConversionEfficiency = 0.2

KethaneConsumption = 10

PowerConsumption = 12

HeatProduction = 800

}

after the normal converters in one of the converter parts and it will convert kethane to spare parts...

now if only the problems with spawning at great distances are solved as well...

Honestly, I ended up doing that last night when I was half asleep, i screwed around with some of the conversion efficiency tho so it didn't seem too odd that I was making fully 'manufactured parts' from whatever kethane really is.

Hopefully we see metal and other resources in the .20 update. For now though, an interesting concept would be the ability to salvage debris and other stuff. Perhaps receive 50% in spare parts of the total weight of the debris?

Love the mod, but there's one issue I noticed. As soon as I launch any ship I've load with the SpaceBuilt identifier, it starts to lag. Horrendously. As soon as I eject the spacebuilt identifier, it goes back to it's regular framerate. It's a minor inconvenience, but it's worth mentioning.

Also, one of your SB warehouse parts is A: in the propellants and engines section and B: capable of holding 1000 ship parts. It's the size of a 1m 400 fuel tank.

Also, one of your SB warehouse parts is A: in the propellants and engines section and B: capable of holding 1000 ship parts. It's the size of a 1m 400 fuel tank.

A. Edit the config file.

B. It's been that way for a while. It's kind of a "cheaty" option.

Lets say I want to cheat a bit, what would I edit to make orbital construction 50% of mass is spare parts?

Also that suggestion for the Kethane converter was awesome.

It might work to open the file KSP_win > resources > Zorkinian.cfg and change the line "density = 1" to "density = 0.5"

I haven't tried it myself but I'd expect it to work.

Nice plugin.

Any chance of metal being a resource like kethane? So's you can have remote mining locations?

I have no idea how to make plugins or edit them, but I could try editing the kethane mod to add a metal resource. But having the ability to convert kethane to spare parts is pretty good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.