[0.21] OrbitalConstruction Redux 4.2 (Kethane + EL Compatibility Update)

Interfect

My game for it isn't working right. Any time I try and transport modules up, they apparently make all of my rockets way a ton, as they can't launch properly and fall counter to the thrust. So I can't supply my "orbital shipyard" because none of my rockets can fricking get up there. They all collapse on themselves.

*EDIT* for some reason the game seems to take the parts inside and add their number to the mass, so instead of it being 0.25 mass it's 25.25 mass -_-

Edited by sadron

My game for it isn't working right. Any time I try and transport modules up, they apparently make all of my rockets way a ton, as they can't launch properly and fall counter to the thrust. So I can't supply my "orbital shipyard" because none of my rockets can fricking get up there. They all collapse on themselves.

*EDIT* for some reason the game seems to take the parts inside and add their number to the mass, so instead of it being 0.25 mass it's 25.25 mass -_-

each unit of spare parts weighs one tonne. So when launching the 25 spare part module (despite it's small size) weighs 25 tonnes. It seems like a pretty reasonable bit of balancing to me, but if it's too much for you, you can always do this:

It might work to open the file KSP_win > resources > Zorkinian.cfg and change the line "density = 1" to "density = 0.5"

I haven't tried it myself but I'd expect it to work.

I'm glad to see this plugin back out there. In the old thread, there was talk of spawning the new spacebuilt ship already docked to the spacedock. That way, large space station structures could be assembled on orbit from parts sent up. Have you considered whether that's feasible?

Perhaps the spacebuilt identifier and the spacedock identifier could be reworked into special docking ports.

each unit of spare parts weighs one tonne. So when launching the 25 spare part module (despite it's small size) weighs 25 tonnes. It seems like a pretty reasonable bit of balancing to me, but if it's too much for you, you can always do this:

I went further and edited all the capacity values in the different parts so that the SpareParts still weigh one ton each, but for instance the small tank only holds 6 parts instead of 10. This was an attempt to match the volume with the size of container by following a rough ratio of the densities of hydrogen (fuel) and solid steel (SpareParts). Of course this was just how I preferred to balance it.

I went further and edited all the capacity values in the different parts so that the SpareParts still weigh one ton each, but for instance the small tank only holds 6 parts instead of 10. This was an attempt to match the volume with the size of container by following a rough ratio of the densities of hydrogen (fuel) and solid steel (SpareParts). Of course this was just how I preferred to balance it.

I did almost the same, but I downloaded some cool looking storage module mods(ck mod, thss mod) and made them the spareparts warehouse and cargo, and gave them realistic weight like you did. Now it's so fun to play with

My guess is you could edit the Kethane converter parts to produce spareparts in addition to, or more easily, in replacement of one of the other resources. You might want to edit the conversion rate as well to be more realistic, although turning what I assume is liquid into solid parts doesn't sound very realistic to begin with. Hopefully the resources in development are a step towards this sort of gameplay.

EDIT: So it's been bouncing around in this thread that you can do this

just add

MODULE

{

name = KethaneConverter

TargetResource = SpareParts

ConversionEfficiency = 0.2

KethaneConsumption = 10

PowerConsumption = 12

HeatProduction = 800

}

after the normal converters in one of the converter parts and it will convert kethane to spare parts...

Edited by The Tempest

How would you go about editing this plugin so that the spacebuilt identifier only checks the mass not every frame? I'm in way over my head on this and have only managed to find the .cs file in the source folder.

EDIT: So spacebuilt18.cs is the part that polls the mass every frame, and SpaceDockUtilities18.cs is where the (function?) DetermineMassOfVessel is.... I'm not sure what to edit, or how to implement it.

EDITEDIT: If there were a way to have it poll the mass similar to how Mechjeb does, or even the new stats screen in 0.20, then I think it would be a lot less laggy. I'm pretty sure it polls the masses of every single part and adds it together, then does the same for resources. I noticed this when I tested if it was working with a 3 part ship with no lag compared to loading up Kerbal X and there is a lot of lag.

Edited by The Tempest

great mod. can i make a suggestion. instead of just a one way street, let's have both a construction and parts salvage. i always end up with extra lift engines and fuel tanks once i'm in orbit. how about the spacedock identifier part can also have an action to dismantle target ship if close enough. either a total dismantlment (with like say only 80% recoverable part weight) or if possible, you could take the ship model info, end its flight, save it into VAB for editing, then relaunch to space dock in its original position. if you want to be overly ambitious, seperate the propellant types vs actual hardware. :)

but yea...2x 25ton parts module is a bitch to orbit.

krystar, if I remember right, anything below the cargo part gets delivered once you tell it to; Spare parts, used boosters and all.

That's the old version; how this originally worked.

Currently, you have a "tank" full of a resource called "spare parts" that you transfer into another "tank" on your spacedock in the same way that you transfer fuel or monopropellant. Your original vehicle is not disassembled to provide the parts.

Really liking the idea of this mod, but I wonder if a slight variation might be possible?

How about "Orbital Assembly"?

You build a ship with a part (say a stack coupler type shape) that does nothing and weighs nothing - it is just a target.

You launch that to orbit, then build the next section. This also has a similar target part on it, but it also acts as a drone core so it can be the root object.

You launch the next section, get it to orbit and within 1km, then use the GUI to join the two sections - the two target pieces disappear and the two sections become one craft, joined where the target pieces were. You should still also need a small a small amount of spareparts though to represent bolts, struts etc.

Possible?

How would you go about editing this plugin so that the spacebuilt identifier only checks the mass not every frame? I'm in way over my head on this and have only managed to find the .cs file in the source folder.

EDIT: So spacebuilt18.cs is the part that polls the mass every frame, and SpaceDockUtilities18.cs is where the (function?) DetermineMassOfVessel is.... I'm not sure what to edit, or how to implement it.

EDITEDIT: If there were a way to have it poll the mass similar to how Mechjeb does, or even the new stats screen in 0.20, then I think it would be a lot less laggy. I'm pretty sure it polls the masses of every single part and adds it together, then does the same for resources. I noticed this when I tested if it was working with a 3 part ship with no lag compared to loading up Kerbal X and there is a lot of lag.

Is this to do with why it is so laggy?

So you are saying that the line

double mass = SpaceDockUtilities18.DetermineMassOfVessel(vessel);

is executing every frame, causing the lag?

Downloading visual studio now, I think this may be a good mod for me to learn ksp coding - no 3d maths involved :P

i was thinking of changing mass to a object property and moving the determinemass to onAwake or onStart. it only needs to execute once since mass shouldn't change. wasn't sure what exactly those methods tie into on the unityengine.

i know we've always said that spacebuilt vessels shouldn't have the stability enhancers..but i think we need to code in an option to strip the stability enhancer parts off of the vessel so to allow designing vessels that cannot hold together under 1g, but are fine in 0g. that's at least half of the reason why you would build a ship in an orbital shipyard instead of a terrestial one.

Edited by krystar

i know we've always said that spacebuilt vessels shouldn't have the stability enhancers..but i think we need to code in an option to strip the stability enhancer parts off of the vessel so to allow designing vessels that cannot hold together under 1g, but are fine in 0g. that's at least half of the reason why you would build a ship in an orbital shipyard instead of a terrestial one.

I have this working.

I am also making the UI more friendly, if you have suggestions, post em.

Surely it does not matter about mass once it has been put into orbit and the designator deleted?

Sure it may chug while porting around but that does not matter. Surely it is just the lag whilst navigating the build GUI that is an issue?

If that is the case then I have that fixed too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.