Modifying Fuel Tanks

So it's been some time since playing Kerbal, last time I seriously played was in 0.17. I made a post about a week back and since then I've successfully adapted to the "New" KSP and have even made part of my Space Station that is orbiting Kerblin.

Now one of the things I used to do in the old KSP was modify Fuel Tanks to suit a design or a need, or just to made the tiniest craft make it to the moon. So seeing that I have a SS in orbit, i wanted to add on a fueling depot to it. While I'd had some success getting it into orbit, my lazy side is thinking of the long-term. I'd like to get a fuel depot into orbit with a gratuitous amount of fuel in the tanks. Like over 30,000 for re-fueling missions.

However modifying the fuel isn't as simple as it used to be. Now when increasing the liquid fuel and oxidizer, the weight will increase. Is there a way to increase these measures while keeping the weight down? Or a way to set the weight?

Thanks guys.

Fuel have weight, if you want to cheat simply turn on infinite fuel and you get all the fuel from the rocket up in orbit.

Or simply build an huge fuel carrier.

This takes similar to 12 orange tanks to LKO.

screenshot0a.png

Yes its big, the boosters are 5 meter, the main stage is 7.5

screenshot1a.png

Instead or modifying the fuel tanks, modify the engines. If you give them an Isp of 10000, they will be superefficient and not need much fuel.

Of course, it pretty much negates the point of the game by removing any sense of achievement, but well...

The density of the various fuels (mass in tonnes per unit) is defined and editable /KSP/Resources/ResourcesGeneric.cfg

Which will give you many units of fuel, but engines work on mass flow rate so you won't get any further because the mass stays the same.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.