[0.16] KW Rocketry v0.5

Winston

i think it would be a good idea to add some stage transitions like the ones in nova-punch. if you are launching a mission to Minimus, sometimes a larger launch stage like 2 or 3 meters looks weird for the orbital or transfer stage, and is a woeful waste of weight

I think I like the Silisko Edition fairings style better, myself; it allows for a lot of customization, and with the great look of the fairings in this pack, I think it'd be great to have something like that.

Hey KW Rocketry guys,

Firstly, I want to say I'm really enjoying your pack. I downloaded the PLF set initially because I needed something slightly larger than the 3m bulkhead/fairing system in the NP pack to encapsulate a slightly larger payload. The 4.2m set worked beautifully and I decided to give the engine and fuel tank set a go. I tried building a rocket using a combination of parts and was having issues making some adapters from NP work with your engines, but I've managed ways around that and I'm using them as much as I can.

Anyway, this isn't about my successes with the packs, it's about a problem I've recently discovered.

I was building a rather large rocket to deliver a lander via a skycrane system (involves a decoupler on the top of the command module) and used your 3m to 4x3m Soyuz-style adapter. When I would go to the launch pad, the thing would spin wildly out of control after the physics system and break apart. The first failure listed in the flight record was between the decoupler and command pod, so I figured it was some weird issue going on. I then thought it was maybe the fairing adapter because the wheels of the rover vehicle were just barely clipping into the widest part of the funnel. Then I thought it might've been the 2m to 3m decoupler shroud from NP interacting badly with your 3-4x3 adapter.

After dismantling the craft and sequentially trying each part on the launchpad with other parts attached to it, I've diagnosed the problem.

There's something wrong with the collisions on your engines.

I didn't use the engine set prior to you installing the ISP numbers instead of straight burn rates, but when I attach any of your engines to the bottom of the 3 to 4x3 adapter, the thing spins around and tears apart my rocket as soon as the physics kick in on the launch pad. The adapter will sit on the pad fine without the engines, even with all of the stuff on top of it stacked on. I tried attaching 2m engines to the nodes at the bottom of the adapter and they spin just the same. I then went and put some NP 3m engines on the bottom of the adapter and they work with it fine - launch goes off without an issue.

I'd have to get a mediafire account, but I could upload the .craft file (a working version w/o your engines and a failing version with them) so you could have a look and diagnose it. I don't know what's causing it, it might be the 3m adapter, or it might be the engines or something. I've attached the 2m adapter directly to the 2m command pod with your 2m engines and it settles fine, but whenever I use your 3m adapter with your 3m engines, the engines act as though they are made of rubber and bounce erratically. I've tried to fix the problem with the launchpad clamps, but it does the same thing - works fine without your engines and with NP engines, doesn't work with your engines.

Anyway, love your work regardless of this issue, but it's something you may want to look into.

Tried that stuff - doesn't work. And actually, after trying a bit with the NP engines and letting it sit there, the same problem occurs, it just takes longer. I'm thinking it might be a weight issue or something because I've stacked all kinds of junk on the NP 3m engines and never experienced something like this. The 2m adapters work fine with all the 2m engines and the 3m engines work fine without the adapter, so it's something to do with that. I've solved it by just using the NP engines and launching quickly, but it shouldn't be happening in the first place.

As for your problem with having NP and KW installed at the same time, I've no issues with it so it's gotta be something on your side, but I have no clue as to what it could be.

Ceres MPCV 0.1 (for V0.16) I can't get the parts to snap together properly. As from the pic, the very small top piece doesn't snap to the heat shield. The thrusters won't attach to the decoupler. I was able to get of the other pieces together but I had to do some awkward manipulation and stacking. Nice parachute though.

like to add another conformation to engine wobble at the bottom of the 2m 5x2 with herc. X rockets. with launch stability enhancers it was stable on the ground but in the air it went crazy. paylod mass above engine was about 8.

I also see the wobbling, but when i test it, it happens with every KW part I used. Stock rocket with KW engine or fuel tank immeadiately wobbles on the launch pad but is fine in the atmosphere. The wobble also seems to increase with the amount of KW parts and as soon as I use any sidemounted engines not even the launch stabilizers can stop the wobbling. With the sidemounts the wobble also persists when in air and makes the rocket absolutely unflyable.

I really love this pack, but sadly it is unusable for me this way.

It is down to attachment points I believe. Try strut-ing the side engines.

The main wobble is down to too much weight on the engine. Simply attach launch clamps and lower the bottom of the rocket through the floor (it moves the rocket up so the engine is just on the floor).

Its mainly due to weight and the rocket fly though the thing it is connected to during flight. I think at a certain area the rocket engines just happen to glitch. But it isn't to do with when it is on the launch pad. Also with some designs the rocket tears itself apart.

Since the forum shift everything has gone wonky visually here in the initial thread. Can someone help me understand what I need to download? OP added more stuff in another comment. This is all a little confusing...sorry for being a newb.

Everything in this pack just blows up on me.

Wanted some more powerful rockets to get a larger moon lander to the moon but stuff just blows up on the pad, looks like the stock decoupler is the problem, any solutions?

Mini

Wanted some more powerful rockets to get a larger moon lander to the moon but stuff just blows up on the pad, looks like the stock decoupler is the problem, any solutions?

Mini

I have the exact same problem :(

Anyone got some tips for dealing with how finicky Kerbal is when snap points are very close together? The points for these parts are almost on top of eachother and it's very frustrating. I'm talking about the attach points for the Ceres MPCV Main Chutes.

11.jpg

Mini

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/15491-16-Fix-for-weak-large-decouplers-plus-reduced-wobble

I posted fixs for the stock large decouplers a while ago. They're in the above thread.

The problem is that the parts sizes were scaled up but the strength was left at 22 (default I believe). I scaled up the breakingForce and breakingTorque to 176, not super strong for a 2m part, but well balanced I believe.

Well the default KW engines have quite a bit of "wobble". Without strut-tech they can easily wobble and shift themselves 0.5m to one site or another during gravity turn :). Good thing they still function like a charm ... in about 70% of my launches. Another Thing i noticed is that they tend to blow up on ignition on heavy designs - again nothing struts cant solve :cool: