[0.16] KW Rocketry v0.5

Winston

Why do you post this in the KW thread? This pack has its own decouplers which should be strong enough. The 2m decoupler shroud for example has breakingForce and Torque of 8000.

Because he specifically asked about the STOCK decouplers, there's no need to be rude.

Kosmos isnt very multipurpose. This pack can be used with a variety of mods for basically any mission you want. Kosmos is limited in uses because it is a themed pack. So even though it works better, it's nowhere near as uesfull

Anyone got some tips for dealing with how finicky Kerbal is when snap points are very close together? The points for these parts are almost on top of eachother and it's very frustrating. I'm talking about the attach points for the Ceres MPCV Main Chutes.

There is a craft file included with an already made up Ceres, just make sure not to save over it and you should be set.

As for instability struts is all I can say, I've made insanely large rockets and learning how to place struts is basically your ticket to making things work regardless of size.

ps. New things are in motion.

Loving the parts and the Ceres.

A couple of things however. The included CRAFT file doesnt work for me. Whenever I try to load the included CERES, I get a message saying it's not compatible or something.

Also, made a big rocket using the 3m x 5 Soyuz tank. The thing wobbled itself apart as soon as it appeared on the launch platform. I managed to fix it using the Launch Stabilizers and had liftoff succesfully, however, the engines kept wobbling wildly during flight. As if they were about to rip off from the tanks themselves.

And lastly, the CERES chute, whenever deployed, rips off from the rest of the ship, leaving me with a doomed capsule and a chute in the air that has nothing holding on to it.

Question; how does anyone get anything off the ground with this mod? I mean, it looks great- but my engines all blow themselves through eachother whenever I try to launch! They wobble like mad on the attach points, or they rip clean off the ship, or they drive up THROUGH the ship. I KNOW I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what. If I use so much as a single coupler it'll wobble itself to ashes; if I don't, I'm kinda stuck with an one-stage rocket that rips itself apart. Help?

Question; how does anyone get anything off the ground with this mod?

Can you post a craft file? (via for example). Or even an image would be good (via imgur.com). There are some tricks to getting this mod to work. Two main ones: use the stronger struts to keep things together, and don't overpower your rocket.

I haven't seen this as a suggestion, but in the future would be possible to make the soyuz fuel tank seperated into four boosters and the main stage just like in real life. I know that there is a soyuz pack but I thought it would be a worth while suggestion to make since this pack is so great

Can you post a craft file? (via for example). Or even an image would be good (via imgur.com). There are some tricks to getting this mod to work. Two main ones: use the stronger struts to keep things together, and don't overpower your rocket.

Sadly I can't really post anything. I mostly just started building and every time it tore itself to ribbons I built a new ship from scratch.

Thing is, even if I use struts up the wazoo, it doesn't. WORK. the engines wobble off the housings practically, or the rockets require so much fuel I can't get to orbit, or the rocket spins like mad (Despite ASAS) and decides to find somewhere other than where I wanted it to go. x.x

Apologies if this doubleposts. I can't tell if my last post 'needs approval from a moderator' or a glitch ate it.

Anyway, I sadly can't post a craft file. Every time one failed I'd go back and demolish it and start over. The problem I got into was this, though. Wobble on the engines themselves- not the couplers, the engines- would shatter everything ABOVE a coupler, even with struts like mad. In addition, I had the endless 'add more engine, need more fuel. Add more fuel, need more engine." Loop.

If anyone can help- this is what I'd like to try and get to the Mun. x.x

1t39y8.png

[edit] Having used MechJeb to look at the weight- it weighs 26.1 tons with full fuel. Is this one of those "That will never get there period" moments.

Edited by Tassyr

If someone could post an example .craft file, one that has a functional ceres payload farings and everything, so I can see what design works would be great. I'm having the same trouble with the engines and have them push through the couplers frequently.

Wobble on the launch pad is often caused by gimballing engines. Design your rocket so that it rests on non-gimballed engines or boosters, or use decouplers or the new launch supports from 0.17.

Wobble on the launch pad is often caused by gimballing engines. Design your rocket so that it rests on non-gimballed engines or boosters, or use decouplers or the new launch supports from 0.17.

Yeah, it's not wobbling on the launch pad! It's wobbling when -in flight.- the engines sometimes 'slide' as much as a quarter of the way off the fuel tank!

This has been an "issue" with the KW pack since the original release. All you need to do is add 4x Heavy Struts to connect the fuel tank to the engine and you'll be fine. The reason comes down to the way the connections are handled by unity, but also how the guys designed the parts, their collision meshes, and structural connection strength. The only way to really fix it is struts.

Apologies if this doubleposts. I can't tell if my last post 'needs approval from a moderator' or a glitch ate it.

Anyway, I sadly can't post a craft file. Every time one failed I'd go back and demolish it and start over. The problem I got into was this, though. Wobble on the engines themselves- not the couplers, the engines- would shatter everything ABOVE a coupler, even with struts like mad. In addition, I had the endless 'add more engine, need more fuel. Add more fuel, need more engine." Loop.

If anyone can help- this is what I'd like to try and get to the Mun. x.x

1t39y8.png

[edit] Having used MechJeb to look at the weight- it weighs 26.1 tons with full fuel. Is this one of those "That will never get there period" moments.

Give something like this a try. It could land on the Mun, but didn't have enough fuel to return to Kerbin. So it needs some tweaking, but it gives the general idea.

AKa9T.jpg