White Owl's KSP Video Series

White Owl

Weird, with default configs I get only volumetric clouds.

Pressed alt-n, raised to 10km. (Tried various speeds but that doesn't seem to be the problem)

2D clouds are fine now but volumetric clouds disappeared.

When in LKO, clouds disappear deppending on the angle the camera looks at kerbin (near 20º with the surface = no clouds, +30~90, they look fine (though really low res)

I'm running ksp 0.23.5 with rescaled 64 (latest version), active texture management (agressive, latest version), and visual enhancements(7-2) only.

If anyone with got it working properly with rescaled 64, would you be so kind to upload the config files? :P

Also, Matt your videos are awesome!! I'm glad you're back!!

I think I missed a step, or didn't understand a step, or something like that.

If I hit alt-n and then select the default settings, the clouds work okay for me. No idea why it doesn't remember the default settings, but I have to select them every time I start the game. After applying the default, I can modify the cloud height and speed to taste. At low altitude they can clip into Kerbin's mountain ranges and look ugly. And the volumetric clouds on a rescaled planet move at supersonic speeds; that's why I slow them down.

How do you embed and clip parts, such as for burying landing gear into the fuselage? Also, when in the SPH, how do you switch between mirror symmetry and radial symmetry without cutting and pasting craft files between the SPH and VAB?

Great video out today, sir!

Hey Matt, how did you get Procedural Parts working with RSS and Realism Overhaul? I keep having every single part except the procedural SRBs show up as 1.25m cylinders that I can't edit at all. Even changing the width or length doesn't do jack scheiße. Pardon my German.

I'm not using Realism Overhaul. I strongly dislike many of the rescaling decisions in that mod.

Are you maybe playing career mode? I know the Procedural Parts dimensions are limited, depending on what tech you've unlocked.

Actually, I misread your bug report earlier. Missed seeing that the mod isn't working for you at all. I'd take a look at the mods development thread, find solutions from other people with similar issues. My install was screwed up for awhile, but was resolved simply by removing the outdated ModuleManager plugin. Other people tried that simple fix and reported their mod was still broken.

And yes, Realism Overhaul changes the size of many stock parts. I'm a notorious rescaler myself... but I would never completely remove the originally sized part.

I've pretty much installed everything on your list (bar a few i didn't want) correctly, and whilst everything works; there is one massive issue: The KSC is now located several hundred meters below ground level, underneath the collision map of the planet. Every time i load up, the KSC scene is bugged out, under the ground and when launching, craft can fly for a short while before hitting the collision mesh and shattering into pieces?? any help?

Umm... I never hit that particular problem. You're certain it's the most recent version of RSS and Regex's most recent .64 scale config? That config file changed a few days ago.

Since RSS has the option to relocate KSC I'm thinking about trying to move mine slightly eastward so it's on the beach again.

Matt, I was wondering if you wanted some help making some textures for your Stretchytanks, I made you a prototype texture out of a KW texture (blackheart619's KW textures):

XT0AIev.png

And it's code:

KWKerosene

{

//by Nixod321

sides

{

texture = ProceduralParts/Parts/KWKerosene

uScale = 1.0

vScale = 1.0

autoScale = false

}

ends

{

texture = ProceduralParts/Parts/stockend

}

}

I didn't include the bump map and KW ends because you need blackheart619's textures installed to get them.

I'm going to work on making my own textures, just so the KW guys don't have to get involved, I was just wondering if you were interested in the help.

That looks very cool, and higher quality than any of my attempts at texture art. I'd say rather than giving it straight to me, it needs shared with the Procedural Parts thread. I still haven't decided exactly what to do with the whole color-coding scheme. I'm not satisfied with the current look, but I don't believe less color is the answer.

In other news... anybody having install problems with the latest RSS build and the 6.4 scale config, look at this post: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55145-0-23-5-Real-Solar-System-v6-4-29-14?p=1128400&viewfull=1#post1128400

Hey, I've seen on one of your last videos you had problems with landers disappear. I had the same problem, using the AIES landing legs you're using too. On deploying they start flooding some null reference exception erros and I guess they don't work right. Because of that I think the problem is the game thinks the vessel is still not landed and because of the low altitude the vessel gets deleted (like every deorbiting debrie).

The only solution is to not use them and wait for the autor to fix it. I'm sad too about that, because they looking so cool and even more realistic. Since I use the stock landing legs it's not happend again.

At least: Thanks for your videos, I really enjoy watching them :)

Edited by acc

Yeah, I just figured out the mystery of the disappearing lander the other day, and pulled all AIES landing legs from my install. It really is a shame.

Mods having problems... my space station uses outdated fustek expansion parts, and updating that mod will break the save. It also has stretchy SRB monopropellant tanks, the outdated experimental TAC procedural tanks, and Kerbal Engineer parts. So that's four different mods I'd like to either update or uninstall, but I can't while that station is using the parts. And the recent Module Manager update broke the engines on the three Dart vehicles docked there, so they're all unusable.

Seriously considering deorbiting the whole shebang tonight, and calling it a first rough sketch. Caplonk deserves some time off.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Matt, you might be able to help me out with this one.

I downloaded the RSS mod, installed the 6.4 kerbin config, and threw in a lot of useful mods, both from your list and from mine. Loaded up the game expecting the worst, and it didn't crash! I went to the VAB, put together a little two stage rocket, and went to the launchpad.

vZmD6mD.png

I kind of expected this. I know RSS is pretty much held together by paperclips and duct tape, so I kept ascending, and when I reached ~500m, I crashed into the ground! Turns out the KSC is underground. Not very good for a spaceport. :P Do you know how to fix this?

Hey Matt, could you update the OP with a full list of mods for your KSP Rescaled series? I kind of want to futz about with the kind of stuff your doing.... and occasionally use an Atlatl to launch a payload. I may end up re-designing the Atlatl 10 so that the first stage is slightly more realistic, but other than that the Atlatl/Dart combo (would be more accurately named the Atlatl/Spear combo as the altlatl was a weapon that threw an actual spear) is a brilliant piece of aerospace engineering.

EDIT: Could we also get the textures you use for your tanks?

Edited by Fox62
Another request

Hi Matt, thanks for the video series so far- you've got me back into playing KSP again.

You mentioned in one of the recent videos that you liked the rescale plugin available with the Goodspeed Aerospace pack and would like to see it applied more widely. Well, if you haven't seen it already you may want to check the following mod from Biotronic out- sounds like just what you're looking for!

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/plugins/220549-tweakscale

*activate Portal Sentry Turret voice* Hello? Is anyone there? *de-activate Portal Sentry Turret voice*

Sorry, man. I don't look at this thread often enough.

The textures aren't ready to be shared yet. You're the first to ask for Atlatl craft files... They're in a state of flux right now since I have to rebuild with the updated procedural fairings, but after that's done I'll be willing to share, yes.

The mod list for the current series is a few pages back. link

Edited by White Owl

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.